It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:41 pm 

My first exposure to Cheap Trick was in 8th grade when I saw the video for "She's Tight" and immediately went out to K-Mart and shoplifted the cassette (One on One). It became a favorite to the point where I played it until the damn thing started that incessant squeaking that cassettes used to do.

My point is I've liked them a lot for a long time. I don't apologize for the years where they struggled to make a decent album. Despite my best tries, I've never been able to get through Woke Up With A Monster, Busted or The Doctor without wincing repeatedly.

Earlier this year when they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame they got a ton of promotion and attention that I feel they definitely deserve. They've mostly been intact as a band since 1976 and this year's new album is one of their strongest.

All this to say that I watched an episode of Live at Daryl's House last weekend where they were the guest. Holy shit was that a great episode. Daryl Hall's backing vocals on "Surrender" and "Taxman, Mr. Thief" made me wish he was on the studio versions.

If you're a fan of their music at all, seek out that episode. Or if you've got a dropbox account and want to see it, PM me a link and I'll send it your way. I'm eventually going to spend the time to rip the audio from some of the songs. They also do a couple of Hall and Oates numbers that are fun but the real highlights are the Cheap Trick songs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:20 am 
Pollution Baby

They, along with the same era Van Halen, had the best late 70's early 80's Spoiled Suburban House Party Assholes vibe that I loved. Just underage drinkin' to much, smokin' not enough, and trying to get laid music.

Loved it, still do.

Along with Cheap Trick's addition to the Rock -n- Rule soundtrack, of course.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:02 pm 

Ericubus wrote:
Along with Cheap Trick's addition to the Rock -n- Rule soundtrack, of course.

That's one of those things I don't have and should get. Their songs on there are great. They did some pretty fun soundtrack work actually.

Two favorites:

"Reach Out" - Heavy Metal soundtrack
"Up The Creek" - Up The Creek Soundtrack

That first one is high on my list of favorite Cheap Trick songs. It's also a fun part in the movie.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:05 pm 
Pollution Baby

Also...

With Cheap Trick, you have the 2 straight out of central casting, 1970's rock gods, then, these other 2 mutha fuckers...

Which was awesome. Where else do you see that?

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:00 pm 

Ericubus wrote:
Also...

With Cheap Trick, you have the 2 straight out of central casting, 1970's rock gods, then, these other 2 mutha fuckers...

Which was awesome. Where else do you see that?

And the lyrics to some of their best songs are just as off-kilter. "Surrender", arguably their most famous song, is about a guy whose parents party harder than he does. "Daddy Should Have Stayed In High School" from their debut album is about pedophiles. "Dream Police" is written from the perspective of a man with serious mental issues. "I Want Be Man" is about a robot who wants to be human.

Those are just a handful of songs that rock hard but are weird when you actually pay attention and all were written by Rick Nielsen (the guy with the goofy baseball cap in the picture). He writes the majority of the songs for Cheap Trick. Robin Zander and Tom Peterson have written some hits also but their subject matter is more mainstream.

And you're right. I always dug the fact that their drummer chain-smoked and looked like he worked for H&R Block circa 1977.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:04 pm 
Canyon

Very weird situation going on with their drummer.

From the Wiki:

"In 2013, Carlos filed a lawsuit against his former Cheap Trick bandmates, claiming that even though they claim that he is still a band member, he is not being allowed to participate in band-related activities, including recording a new album. The remaining three members of Cheap Trick filed a countersuit, seeking an official affirmation of their removal of Carlos. Their lawsuit was thrown out by a Delaware judge in late 2013. [7]
On February 26, 2015, Robin Zander announced that the lawsuit was over. “We’ve settled our differences,” Zander continued. “Bun E.’s a member of the band, but he’s not touring and he’s not recording. … We’ve had our differences, but we’re all settled up now and hopefully we can forget about that era. These decisions that Cheap Trick makes, Bun E. is part of.”
"

So, he's a member of the band but doesn't play live or record with them anymore. Wow, the definition of being a band member has changed a LOT recently.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:18 am 
Pollution Baby

Downhuman wrote:
...So, he's a member of the band but doesn't play live or record with them anymore. Wow, the definition of being a band member has changed a LOT recently.
It fits perfectly with his look. He is the divorced dad, technically still a member of the immediate family, but doesn't participate in any family activities.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:47 pm 

I've read a few interviews right around the time of the Hall of Fame induction that detailed things a little more. Basically, the other three bandmembers can't stand him. The straw that broke the camel's back was similar to the Eddie Van Halen/Sammy Hagar break up.

Robin Zander wanted to put off touring so he could be at his kid's school function (could have been first day of school... I don't recall). Carlos ridiculed him for it and told him to grow a pair. Zander said, "Fuck you" and that was pretty much the end of Carlos touring with them. Everyone was kind of done with his attitude.

He gave an interview around the same time and in a roundabout way said the same thing: That he wanted to tour but everyone else was doing family stuff and he didn't agree with that getting in the way of the "job". Then Rick Neilsen's son Dax started playing drums for them and that's when Carlos hit them with the lawsuit because technically I guess they never really threw him out. They just started playing without him.

The new album has Dax on it. There's definitely a difference in style but overall it's not enough to make that big of a difference to the songs. It helps that they had a damn good batch of songs for this record.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:02 am 
Canyon

They sounded goddamn amazing at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction. Bun E was playing with them that night.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:57 pm 

Downhuman wrote:
They sounded goddamn amazing at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction. Bun E was playing with them that night.

Yeah they sounded pretty great. I think it was pretty cool that despite all the bad blood, they still played together that night. Says a lot about how they see their band, their legacy and how much respect they have for their fans. If only Van Halen, KISS and Deep Purple had the class to do the same it would have been awesome for their fans.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:05 pm 

Here are some of the performances from the Live at Daryl's House I mentioned at the top of the thread. The drummer you see is from Daryl Hall's band.

Surrender:

Taxman, Mr. Thief:

Hello There/You Burn Me Up:

Heaven Tonight:

No Direction: (from the latest album)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:05 am 

You Burn Me Up is on Daryl's solo album Sacred Songs, part of a Robert Fripp produced trilogy that also included Peter Gabriel 2, and Fripp's own Exposure.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:18 am 

Kimfair wrote:
You Burn Me Up is on Daryl's solo album Sacred Songs, part of a Robert Fripp produced trilogy that also included Peter Gabriel 2, and Fripp's own Exposure.

In the actual episode they joke that it's the same song as "Hello There" because the chords are the same. It actually makes for a pretty decent medley and that performance is with no real practice.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:16 am 
Singularity ∞

caryc wrote:
Here are some of the performances from the Live at Daryl's House I mentioned at the top of the thread. The drummer you see is from Daryl Hall's band.

I just watched this over the weekend. Not only did the show entertain me while also turning me into a Daryl Hall fan -- who knew that guy was so chill? -- holy FUCK that rendition of Heaven Tonight is balls out blazing awesome! Super duper layered psych goodness. Change the approach on the vocals just a touch and it could have been an epic shoegaze song. Wow.