It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:57 am 

For those that haven't seen the threads where Kimfair and I gush about Drive-By Truckers, that's probably a good thing. They are by and far my favorite band on the planet and have been for about 18 years now. I first became a fan because their songs spoke to me as someone raised in the South who was proud of where I came from but embarrassed by the history of racism and hate that comes with that. DBT write about that on almost every album. They call it "The Duality of the Southern Thing" and they pretty much nail it. It's why I live in California but think about "home" in Georgia every day.

Their new album goes beyond that though. American Band is a protest album that's probably their strongest album to date. They tackle race, income inequality, police violence, gun violence and all of the things that most "southern" bands shy away from and they do it on their own terms.

Here's a link to stream "Surrender Under Protest" which was the first single released a month or so ago.

Check out "Ever South" and "What it Means" if you can find them. The whole album is great.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:13 am 

This is arriving on my doorstep this evening. Cannot wait. Everything I've heard from and about this album sounds spectacular.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:13 pm 

This song is a great example of the lyrical content of the album.

It's funny in a way because despite all of the lyrical clues on their previous albums, there was still this contingent of southern rock fans out there who didn't believe DBT would take the side of Black Lives Matter. They caught backlash from some of those fans when they released this song a few months ago. However DBT chose to tell those fans to fuck off if they didn't agree.

Patterson Hood gave an interview recently where he said he didn't get into this business to be told what to say and what to play. Gotta love artists who stand by their beliefs.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:20 am 

What a great song! I listened to the rest of the album while eating my breakfast and reading the paper this morning. Not the best way to take in the lyrical content, but a good way to get comfortable with the music. Sounded great. I'll listen more carefully on the way home when I'm free of distractions.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:57 am 
HMFIC

Well, haven't listened to this one, but you guys have convinced me to download Southern Rock Opera, that being Allmusic.com's recommendation.

Will report back.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:25 am 

Southern Rock Opera is great as well. On just one listen, I'm not 100% sold that American Band is their BEST album, but it's up there. As I tend to enjoy the album that I get first from a band most, so Go-Go Boots is my current favorite.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:12 pm 

Eric wrote:
Well, haven't listened to this one, but you guys have convinced me to download Southern Rock Opera, that being Allmusic.com's recommendation.

Will report back.

Southern Rock Opera was definitely a turning point for them. The two albums before are a little rougher but the songs are there. If you want to hear a great story/song from the second album, check out "Uncle Frank". It's the story of the building of the TVA as seen through the eyes of a man who loses everything because of it. It's fantastic.

And if you even remotely like Southern Rock Opera, there are (IMHO) a couple of better albums in their catalog. The Dirty South is my personal favorite. That was at a time in the band where they had three outstanding songwriters who all were all just beginning to hit their stride. The first three songs clearly define each songwriter's style and later on you get standouts from each like "Carl Perkins' Cadillac", "Daddy's Cup", "Goddamn Lonely Love" and "Danko/Manuel". Jason Isbell went solo one album later and that man is a songwriting powerhouse.

I've only had American Band for a few days, but I feel like it's definitely going to end up in my top two favorites. I'm already having trouble getting many of the songs out of my head, especially "Ever South", "Ramon Casiano", "What it Means" and "Surrender Under Protest".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:08 am 

There's a great song on Southern Rock Opera that perfectly illustrates their take on the "duality of the Southern thing", called The Three Great Alabama Icons, that speaks about Bear Bryant, Ronnie Van Zandt, and George Wallace. Great song, great story, told perfectly.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:00 pm 

Got out to Amoeba today and picked up my copy. I got a promo-only live disc with it. Four songs. Did you get that too, Kimfair?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:48 am 

caryc wrote:
Got out to Amoeba today and picked up my copy. I got a promo-only live disc with it. Four songs. Did you get that too, Kimfair?

Nope. I got it from Amazon, just the CD. Though I'm thinking those 4 songs could be added to a list we have going. :wink: