It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:47 pm 

I don't know how many of you are still fans of GBV, but if you've fallen off the wagon after years of mediocre releases, you may want to check out their new one August By Cake. I was a die hard fan for years but the reunion discs really did nothing for me and I stopped picking up new releases of GBV or Pollard solo stuff a few years ago. This album is a return to form though. It hits a sweet spot that sounds like something circa Mag Earwhig but also still sounds new.

Doug Gilliard is back in the band which seems to help focus Pollard's songwriting. GBV also has Bobby Bare Jr. on guitar and he's a phenomenal songwriter and guitarist on his own. I'm really looking forward to seeing this lineup live.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:03 pm 
Singularity ∞

I still grab all their stuff when I can, but Pollard puts out stuff so frequently it's basically impossible to digest it all. I end up just getting a backlog, listening to it in a blast, and returning to whatever stood out.

One of those reunion albums was really good, but I'll be damned if I can remember which one.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:51 pm 

Definitely check out this one. My wife and I listened to it again this morning while in the queue to buy Comic-Con tickets. It flows incredibly well and really is better than a lot of what he's put out recently. I hope this lineup sticks together for another album or two.