It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:16 pm 

Let's say I have a few rare releases from some obscure yet popular enough to have a decent fanbase bands. I'm talking 4 copies total to 100 copies total. I've yet to run across these on piracy sites.

Do I share these online? I'm sure the collectors would hate that, but I really would like to know that the music doesn't die with the collectors. What would you do?

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:44 pm 
HMFIC

Share.

Any decent collectors are about owning the physical artifact, but will be cool with other people hearing the music. The Martin Shkreli types who want to own things so that only they can have them will be pissed, but fuck them.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:53 pm 

Yeah, I just put one of the recordings out there. At the end of the day, the band isn't hurt as they already received their money for it.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:56 pm 
Singularity ∞

I agree with Eric. Collectors want the object.

Though do keep in mind that there is a flaw in this: "the band isn't hurt as they already received their money for it."

Yes and no. That's true for these specific objects, but if this rare music were to become common in fan circles, the band's ability to, say, make these rare tunes the centerpiece of a re-release or special edition or something would be sapped since the ability to get those tunes would no longer be special.

Just sayin'.

I download gobs of stuff, my hands are not clean here, so take it for what it's worth.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:10 pm 

Then I should be a jerk and release it as low-bitrate MP3s?

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:10 pm 

Feed it through a few cassette tape generations just to be sure.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:53 pm 

Release it on vinyl - it'll sound like shit, but you'lll make a gajillion dollars from the people that think it sounds "more natural" or whatever bullshit talking points they sling these days.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:20 pm 
Singularity ∞

brian wrote:
Then I should be a jerk and release it as low-bitrate MP3s?

Drop it as 160kb files, that was people can hear the songs but it's still a big deal if they get a legit release.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:43 pm 

I'm probably overthinking it, in some cases the artists are pretty accessible. I could just ask.

In one case, years back, I asked if the artist minded me sharing one of the songs on youtube and they did not have a problem with it so I guess there's that.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:15 pm 
Singularity ∞

Many years ago, at the dawn of eBay, circa about 1998, I had made some CD compilations of rare tracks from a few semi-obscure bands, complete with covers and all that jazz. Good, complete compilations. I figured some other people would enjoy having them, so I listed some on eBay.

Got a note from the management of one of the bands (Olivia Tremor Control) asking me not to sell the work, so I pulled it down.

They were right, too. It was a shitty thing to do. Sharing is one thing (and even that isn't really kosher). Selling takes it to a new level.

And holy shit, that was nearly 20 years ago!

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:24 pm 

Well... uh... yeah. That was nice of them to ask you.

With the one band (Wooden Wand), they rewarded kickstarter backers with cover songs that we requested. 5 of us were dumb enough to spend $250 to have them record a cover. The musician told me I could do whatever I wanted with it at the time.

He recently released another album, which I preordered. I included a note with my purchase "I'm the jerk that had you cover Pink Floyd's echoes" and wrote me back and gave a pretty nice story about it. Kind of cool.

The other deal was spoken poetry by a rap artist that was only available on his tour - like 3 hours of recordings with a special book, 100 copies made at $100. Kind of sucks for fans that just want to hear his stuff.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:35 pm 

Only kind-of sort-of related, but through an internet rabbit hole, I found out someone found what was meant to be Sufjan Steven's first album in a garbage can outside his office. The label asked nicely for him not to release it, but alas, he put it out there and while links are hard to come by, it's on youtube. A little perseverance led me to a perfect copy of it.

On the one hand, he didn't want it released. On the other, curiosity, you know? I'm a Sufjan superfan. It's a concept album about stalking people. And each Sufjan album I hear gives context to another album. I can see why he wouldn't want it released, but I'm happy to hear it. Sorry Sufjan!