It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Currcain & Rhinestones
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:25 am 

I felt compelled to post this even though many of you don't listen to podcasts. Cocaine & Rhinestones has become my favorite thing to listen to and Season 1 just wrapped up. It's David Allen Coe's grandson (I believe) and he's telling the history of country music from 1901 - 2000.

He's doing it through stories and it's non-chronological. It's meticulously researched and absolutely fascinating. I can only listen to about one episode every couple of days because there's so much to each one I want to digest it all.

My favorite episodes so far have been about Loretta Lynn's song "The Pill" being banned by country radio and how she used that to her advantage (repeatedly) and the story of Bobbie Gentry's career which straddled a bunch of genres and only barely qualifies as country but was super-influential.

I highly, highly recommend it although I will warn you that you may find yourself digging down into rabbit holes of music you haven't heard before. If you told me a week ago that I'd be spinning Bobbie Gentry's The Delta Sweete album on repeat instead of the new GBV (which I've only heard once now), I'd say you were fucking crazy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:55 pm 
Singularity ∞

This sounds awesome. I'm sold.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:56 am 

I just finished listening to the first episode and really enjoyed it, thanks for posting this.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:51 am 

Listening to the Spade Cooly episode was brutal.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:23 am 

Yeah, that's a hell of a story. I've been listening out of order so I just finished Spade Cooley about a week ago.

I really enjoyed the Rusty and Doug Kershaw episode. About a third of it ends up being about Neil Young which was pretty fun.

So far, my favorites have been Bobbie Gentry, Rusty and Doug Kershaw and Ernest Tubb. The latter more for the mental image of him blind drunk in a bathrobe with a .357 Magnum in his hand.