It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:19 am 
Cavity

JFelix wrote:
I don't think I have guilty music pleasures. I throw on the iPod at work, out comes the entire Disneyland ride soundtracks and I'm all YEAH WHAT. THIS IS AWESOME. THIS ROOM IS ACTUALLY STRETCHING IN FRONT OF YOUR OWN EYES, BITCH.
:thumbs: I own Disneyland ride soundtracks too! My collection of Disney park audio is HUGE.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:09 am 
Cavity

Location: Lying shipwrecked and comatose, Drinking fresh mango juice. Goldfish shoals nibbling at my toes.....
No guilt here, just pleasures.............

The 80es was a great decade for fun music

Hey Chris, remember this one

I even remember the fun Danish cover version with Laban with the title "Where should we sleep tonight?"

One thing I find weird is that many American find it funny that I like Abba. They seem to believe that I should be embarrassed. I don't get it, maybe it is the gay-connection they can't take. Growing up in Scandinavia in late 70es and 80es Abba were pretty much considered Gods.

Or Modern fucking Talking

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:15 am 

Kryten wrote:
One thing I find weird is that many American find it funny that I like Abba. They seem to believe that I should be embarrassed. I don't get it, maybe it is the gay-connection they can't take. Growing up in Scandinavia in late 70es and 80es Abba were pretty much considered Gods.

It's not the gay connection, it's the disco connection. Disco in the 70's was very polarizing. The punk/new wave kids (like me) hated it, as well as the heavy metal/classic rock kids. Only the kids who loved disco (who may have been disproportionally gay, but who cares) enjoyed ABBA, and they pretty much didn't listen to any of the music the punk/metal kids liked either.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:23 am 
Sinkhole

I guess I never replied to this thread. Like many of you, I'm largely past any sense of embarrassment over music that I enjoy.

When I was younger I initially felt guilty for gravitating toward some dancier material than a number of my metalhead friends. It wasn't until college when a roommate pointed out rather bluntly that KMFDM and some of my other favorites were just a mutated version of dance music. At that point I started to reconcile some of my musical interests. This came full circle once I discovered krautrock/post-punk/00s dancier rock bands. It just goes with the territory.

Aside from my closest friends, who have a good grasp on just what I like, a number of people are surprised to learn that I'm usually pretty up on both exclusively electronic music, metal, and pop with personality. It's not that I hide it. If I know someone leans heavily in one direction musically, I'll generally keep the conversation within that scope.

That being said, despite being born in 1980, until I was ~12 I thought doo wop was contemporary pop. That music has stuck with me. And I get a good laugh out of witless pop rap. I'm not talking about rappers/producers who I actually get something from on a more serious level, but intentionally misogynistic stuff that somehow manages to find chart success. Waka Flocka Flame's "Live by the Gun" is a perfect recent example.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:05 pm 

My wife thinks I'm a lunatic when I blast ABBA, because she's part of the whole American generation that Fox-News'd disco (despite the fact that ABBA isn't disco, and most contemporary musicians routinely mention that band as being a huge influence).

Kryten, I love Modern Talking, but you have to admit they just re-released the same song over and over again.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:07 pm 
HMFIC

When I was younger, I used to think that ABBA did "Heart of Glass." That should illustrate that disco and punk/new wave weren't as far apart as people suggested.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:19 pm 
Cavity

Location: Lying shipwrecked and comatose, Drinking fresh mango juice. Goldfish shoals nibbling at my toes.....
Chris Knight wrote:
Kryten, I love Modern Talking, but you have to admit they just re-released the same song over and over again.

Sure, but the 3 songs that is being repeated again and again are very catchy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:04 am 
Singularity ∞

Kryten wrote:
Chris Knight wrote:
Kryten, I love The Ramones, but you have to admit they just re-released the same song over and over again.

Kryten wrote:
Chris Knight wrote:
Kryten, I love AC-DC, but you have to admit they just re-released the same song over and over again.

Kryten wrote:
Chris Knight wrote:
Kryten, I love The Jesus and Mary Chain, but you have to admit they just re-released the same song over and over again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:36 pm 
Singularity ∞

Not a guilty pleasure, but this seems like the best thread to use, so ...

The solo Prince tears out for this is a thing of beauty, and he makes it look effortless:

The dude is an incredible dancer, a legendary songwriter, a great singer, can make the ladies' panties drop, AND he's a stunning guitarist.

No one should be that talented. It's not fair.

(Jimmy Page once called Prince the greatest living guitarist. Jimmy Page!)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:18 pm 

my mind still cannot process Prince throwing his guitar up and it NEVER COMING DOWN.

THE MAN IS MAGICAL.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:53 pm 
HMFIC

Prince is badass.

And here's a response to a four-year-old comment:

Shoe wrote:
If I listened to DMB, they'd be my answer.

If I had to be perfectly honest, I'd admit that I have DMB in my digital music library. Their entire catalog, in fact. But it's not my fault. Some chick at my office left the files on her work computer, and who am I to turn down free music? So I grabbed 'em all before wiping the hard drive. I have yet to listen to any of it, though.

Also, I like that one song they did where he sings "the space between." That was a good song, IIRC.

Also, I disliked his cover of "Cortez the Killer." A lot. What was he thinking.

And the dude stands funny. Get some of them leg braces, man. You dance like Forest Gump.

DMB (or maybe the guy solo) did a live cover of "Long Black Veil" that I heard over at someone's house and was actually pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:43 am 
Singularity ∞

Here's a genuine guilty pleasure.

I can't get enough of this song. I really shouldn't like it, it's a load of what I dislike in modern pop, but its hooks are in me. It's a cheesy, raunchy modern pop song filtered through '60s soul hooks. The lyrics are terrible and I don't know if these artists are supposed to be any good, but this particular song killed me from the first time I heard it:

Once you hear that hook, you just can't get it out of your head.

And the lead gal singing, Jessie J, seems like she has a killer voice.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:28 am 
Singularity ∞

JFelix wrote:
my mind still cannot process Prince throwing his guitar up and it NEVER COMING DOWN.

THE MAN IS MAGICAL.

Kevin Smith's half-hour story about doing a documentary for Prince is one of the greatest things I've ever heard. Even if you don't like Kevin Smith -- I don't -- you WILL watch all 30 minutes because you will be CAPTIVATED. Witness the strength:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:49 am 

That fucking Prince solo is EPIC!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:38 am 

Shoe wrote:
JFelix wrote:

THE MAN IS MAGICAL.

Kevin Smith's half-hour story about doing a documentary for Prince is one of the greatest things I've ever heard. Even if you don't like Kevin Smith -- I don't -- you WILL watch all 30 minutes because you will be CAPTIVATED. Witness the strength:

If you haven't read ?uestlove's autobiography yet, you should read this excerpt about Prince's private roller skating party.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:59 pm 
Singularity ∞

I think I finally found a pleasure that is guilty. It's not just this song:

It's the whole album.

Wow. Three or four songs aside, I absolutely love it. I've been jamming it all week, and today it's multiple listens. It's SO good.

I am a 40something male with a beer gut and scuzzy beard who listens to loud, abrasive experimental guitar music. I should not be liking this as much as I am.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:51 pm 

Good music's good music.

And never deny the goodness of a pop song.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:46 pm 
Pollution Baby

Shoe wrote:
...I am a 40something male with a beer gut and scuzzy beard who listens to loud, abrasive experimental guitar music. I should not be liking this as much as I am.

Shoe 3:19 - No worries, Brah.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:19 am 
Singularity ∞

I think I've finally fallen out of having a minor finger on the pulse of pop music.

Though I haven't been a huge pop follower in a long, long time, I've generally been just in touch enough to know who was hot and who was not, to know the big infectious hits, and to really get into especially good pop albums (most recently Lorde, TS's 1989, etc.).

But I'm a bit lost now.

I see the name "Cardi B" pop up a lot and have no idea who she is or what she does, and she's one of many.

I am finally becoming the out of touch middle aged guy when it comes to pop music.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:04 am 

I'm on a discord server about music that has a real range of ages from teens to me (I am most definitely the oldest there, holy shit) and they're all still too busy arguing about ranking Radiohead albums to care about Cardi B.

Also: the best Radiohead album is whichever one's the shortest.