It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1966 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:05 am 
Singularity ∞

Kimfair wrote:
Shoe wrote:
7/23/18
Toms Waits - Foreign Affairs
Toms Waits - Swordfishtrombones

I'd be interested in your opinion on these, and on Waits in general.

I'm sure we've talked about it here before, but I'm a huge Tom Waits. Have been for a long time. A good friend introduced me to his work in the summer of '94 via a mixtape and a cassette copy of Rain Dogs. I've been a fan ever since.

Generally speaking I like his traditional stuff just fine but don't gravitate towards it, with the exception of The Heart of Saturday Night, which is a gloriously perfect record. Foreign Affairs, Blue Valentine, and Heartattack and Vine are all good 'traditional' records too.

Swordfishtrombones is a good 'weird' Waits record, but it's a lesser one when compared to his others, IMO. My absolutely favorite, by far, is Bone Machine. Just love love love that album.

Rain Dogs, Mule Variations, and Bad As Me are all great, too. Oh jeez, and of course Frank's Wild Years!

Dude is a mad genius. He once said something to the effect of, he isn't done writing a song until he's broken its back. I love that. It's been influential on my own music at times, eve though I don't do anything like what he does.

Anyway, Waits is fantastic. He pops up in my playlists a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:10 am 

Great to hear you're a Waits fan, though I understand anyone who has a hard time with him, however. Bone Machine and Rain Dogs are my favorites, but there's none I actively dislike. I first got into him when I heard Hang on Sat Christopher on college radio.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:18 am 
Singularity ∞

Waits is misunderstood by casual listeners, I think, in no small part because they can't get past the weird surface.

His weirdness is a big draw for fans, but it's not his weirdness that makes him great. What makes him great is that underneath all those bizarre sounds and stories and singing are genuinely great songs. Strip is away and that music is still fantastic.

It's no surprise, of course. All you need to do is listen to his earlier material to see he's a master of the craft. The title track of The Heart of Saturday Night is one of the finest songs ever written, as far as I'm concerned, and his 1970s work is littered with stuff just as good. There is a reason he'd been covered by so many beloved mainstream artists.

When he started getting a little crazy in his work, it's not like he ejected all the songcraft and just went bizarre. The bizarre stuff was just a new layer on top of that.

That's what he meant when he talked about breaking a song's back. In 2004, he said, “I break a lot of eggs. And I leave the shell in there. Texture is everything.”

He'll start with a great song, then just kind of fuck it up a bit. Distort this, twist that, replace traditional drums with fucked up percussion, use a barely-tuned xylophone instead of the piano he initially wrote it on, etc.

So you get something that sounds like it came from a drunk homeless man, yet if you listen harder you see it's a perfectly crafted song.

Some people can't get past that surface layer of oddness, but for me, the idea that he's willing to fuck with his songs so much to give them a unique character is what makes his work so strong.

So yeah. I love Tom Waits.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:08 pm 
Singularity ∞

7/30/18

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV
The La's - The La's

8/1/18

Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
Ministry - Psalm 69
Faith No More - The Real Thing

8/8/18

U2 - Songs of Innocence
U2 - Songs of Experience
Can - Can
Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die

8/11/18

Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
Bright Eyes - Cassadaga (or however you spell it)

8/12/18

Bright Eyes - Lifted
Bright Eyes - Digtal Ash on a Digital Urn
World's End Girlfriend - Hurtbreak Wonderland

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:06 pm 

Shoe wrote:
7/30/18
The La's - The La's

What a great fucking album.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:34 pm 
Singularity ∞

It really is. And it's crazy, because they pretty much came, slammed it out, and left.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1966 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57