It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 424 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Cuncerts
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:38 pm 
Sinkhole

We had this topic on DIMP. Why not have it here?

I haven't been to any shows since last fall's Broadcast/Atlas Sound double bill + the 15 minutes I saw of a Fuck Buttons set, but I'm going to be going out again a few times over the next couple of weeks. I'll try to report back after the shows. Tomorrow night is a Valentine's Day show with Zola Jesus, Kurt Vile, and Fucked Up. Next week is Four Tet with Nathan Fake. The week after is Vitalic and Cold Cave (2 different shows). In March I'll see Coalesce and Harvey Milk.

I'm quite excited about all of the shows. I've given up on going to see bands in venues that hold more than a few hundred. Regardless of the band, I don't enjoy live music unless I'm practically peering into the musician's eyes. Without that, I'd rather stay home. Aside from the metal show, I'm most pumped for Cold Cave. And not based on their Matador debut. It's fun, but they have the guy from Prurient and have a local sludge metal band and another noise band opening. Though the new material has a poppier vent on record, I'm thinking (hoping) it'll lean more toward toward Prurient live. I assume this will be unexpected amongst some in the audience. It's like the Broadcast show. The first half was bowel shaking noise backed by a video projector. Only toward the end did they get into their more familiar song based material. Fun times.

Post subject: Re: Concerts
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:42 pm 

I haven't been to a concert in years, in fact I'm having a hard time remembering the last one I went to, I just got tired of the crowds.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:02 pm 

In the next few months, I'll be seeing The Magnetic Fields, Joanna Newsom, and Jonsi (from the band Siguor Ros).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:47 pm 
HMFIC

Unsurprisingly, I know all the bands Brian mentioned and about two that asphodel mentioned. And like John Carter, I haven't been to a show in a while. Before my kid was born. Again, unsurprisingly.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:49 pm 

asphodel5 wrote:
I haven't been to any shows since last fall's Broadcast/Atlas Sound double bill + the 15 minutes I saw of a Fuck Buttons set, but I'm going to be going out again a few times over the next couple of weeks. I'll try to report back after the shows. Tomorrow night is a Valentine's Day show with Zola Jesus, Kurt Vile, and Fucked Up. Next week is Four Tet with Nathan Fake. The week after is Vitalic and Cold Cave (2 different shows). In March I'll see Coalesce and Harvey Milk.

Dear Christ, I think just reading that paragraph gave me Anemia.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:24 pm 
Sinkhole

brian wrote:
In the next few months, I'll be seeing The Magnetic Fields, Joanna Newsom, and Jonsi (from the band Siguor Ros).

A friend may be able to get us free Magnetic Fields tickets. If so, I'll go. The new album isn't for me, so I'm not sure what he'll be doing with it live.

Joanna is a good show. I saw her when she was performing Y's in full (with a couple old songs as encore). it was great, but really should've been somewhere with seating. It's too tranquil to have to stand the entire time.

I had plans to see Sigur Ros once, but the weather turned bad and I skipped it. I think it was the () tour. I haven't hear his solo tracks yet. Similar?

For reference sake, here are videos from the bands I'm seeing tonight-

Zola Jesus

Kurt Vile (who I'm less interested in, but seems OK)

Fucked Up

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:11 pm 

In the coming months I will be seeing Xiu Xiu, the XX, Spoon, My Morning Jacket, and The Dead Weather.

Yummy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:35 am 
Sinkhole

I heard the XX and Hot Chip will be touring together in the spring. I might just have to catch that one if they show up near me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:43 am 

asphodel5 wrote:
brian wrote:

A friend may be able to get us free Magnetic Fields tickets. If so, I'll go. The new album isn't for me, so I'm not sure what he'll be doing with it live.

Joanna is a good show. I saw her when she was performing Y's in full (with a couple old songs as encore). it was great, but really should've been somewhere with seating. It's too tranquil to have to stand the entire time.

I had plans to see Sigur Ros once, but the weather turned bad and I skipped it. I think it was the () tour. I haven't hear his solo tracks yet. Similar?

I also saw Joanna perform Ys (with a 27-piece orchestra) a few years back, but thankfully had seats.

Jonsi's tracks sound enough like Sigur Ros, what with all the "Ahhhhhs" and "Wooooos" and the texture to the tracks, except he sings in English.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:49 am 
Sinkhole

^

Ah. I'll check out the album when released. And that feathery video.

Joanna didn't have the full orchestra when I saw her. I think those dates were scheduled, but the Cleveland show was with 5-8 musicians.

My Saturday show was only half successful. I had to leave after Zola Jesus, but she was quite good. Like a tiny 20 year old Siouxsie. Swaying and swinging a ball & chain mace. Hopping into the crowd and wailing like a banshee. She's coming back a few times in the Spring, so I may go again for a full show. This was just six songs. She was my main impetus for the show, but I would've enjoyed seeing Fucked Up. Next time.

Coalesce and Converge are playing a double bill at one of my favorite venues (Bottom Lounge) in May. This is a must. Maybe my show of the year.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:56 am 

The Flaming Lips are coming around my area, I think they're a must see. I hope.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:02 pm 

brian wrote:

Having seen them multiple times I will confirm they are a must see. I missed the last two tours though. Mostly due to time constraints and a bit of the same hatred of crowds John Carter references above.

It takes a lot to get me to go out to a show anymore. I tend to make it to one or two a year. In 2008 I saw Drive-By Truckers and that was it. Last year it was the Dethklok/Mastodon show and nothing else. This year, who knows...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:42 pm 
Minor Depression

I'm seeing Alicia Keys in a couple weeks. Full half-assed report to follow.

Are you coming, Shoe?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:39 pm 

The front man of Fleet Foxes is going to open for Joanna Newsom. Huzzah!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:43 am 
Sinkhole

Saturday's show was fun. Nathan Fake was pretty good. Skipped a few of my favs, but he knows what he's doing. Four Tet was quite strong. Good energy and interesting textures throughout. He looked frighteningly exhausted. His eyes were still piercing.

Tonight's Vitalic show was so so. The opening band was weak. Like a 5th rate BEAK> without memorable tracks. I had high expectations. Vitalic's music is so exciting at home. It's soundtracked a lot number of good times, but it just wasn't happening tonight. There was no build to his set list. It was just random. Cutting the best tracks short. Just killing the energy. At one point he cut from La Rock to about 30 seconds of Chemical Brothers and then back to his own track. This wasn't a DJ set and it KILLED the song. No clue what he was thinking. There was little texture or diversity to the tracks as he presented them live. Just pounding beats. And he didn't do my favorite track (Still from the second album). Oh well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:56 pm 

Stephin Merritt of The Magnetic Fields sticks his finger in his ear every time the audience claps. The audience doesn't catch on.

They're a pretty entertaining band, worth seeing for the banter alone.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:41 am 
Sinkhole

Coalesce killed it last night. Aside from a couple calls for water the set was unrelenting. It focused primarily on the last two albums, but that's fine by me. They still brought in 'A Disgust for Details', my favorite older track. These guys know which material works best live and go with it. Seeing them again in May with Converge will be my show of the year.

Atlas Moth, the openers, were fine. Chicago guys playing stoner metal with a few interesting touches. I stayed for half of Harvey Milk. They're good (especially drummer), but I'm no big fan of their vocals and I wanted to get home before the St. Patty's crowds were kicked out of the bars. Walking home down Division was rougher than the show itself!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:40 pm 
Black Hole

Taking nephew and his dad (my brother) to go see this later this Summer....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:17 pm 

Spoon is coming this Friday. Deerhunter opens. Zypn is pumped.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:31 pm 

Saw Puscifer tonight at the Pabst Theater. A friend said I had to go. I was confused and I guess I kind of/sort of liked the band Jucifer, and thought I was seeing them. Whoops. Puscifer has the drummer from Primus and some guy from Tool in it. It was swell enough music but not quite my scene.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:48 am 
Sinkhole

My town gets a music festival this year!

http://www.newraleigh.com/articles/arch ... al-lineup/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:03 am 

OdisN wrote:
My town gets a music festival this year!

http://www.newraleigh.com/articles/arch ... al-lineup/

That looks really cool! I noticed Caitlin Cary is in the lineup. Haven't heard from her in a long time. I got one or two discs after Whiskeytown broke up but then lost track of her completely.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:36 am 
Singularity ∞

That's a solid lineup for the price. Panda Bear and Broken Social Scene is a good bill, PE and No Age is f'in' AWESOME, Tortoise is really cool, and I bet Cannabis Corpse will be ridiculous.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:45 am 

I saw PE about two years ago at a festival show and they sucked. Prior to that I'd seen them twice and they were fantastic. Here's hoping they got their step back. I'd definitely check them out again.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:22 pm 

I saw Joanna Newsom tonight and snagged her copy of the setlist. I own another saint's relic. Now to start my shrine.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:03 am 

brian wrote:
I saw Joanna Newsom tonight and snagged her copy of the setlist. I own another saint's relic. Now to start my shrine.

Did Robin Pecknold (aka 2010 Jesus) open for her? If so, thoughts? If not, did Joanna play '81? That song is the shit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:04 am 

No '81 :(

Robin Pecknold did open, but he was sick something fierce with a sinus infection and fever. He played only for about 30 minutes and you could see his sweat dripping the entire time. He warned that he'd sound like the comic book guy from the Simpsons, but he still sounded pretty good.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:38 pm 
Canyon

brian wrote:

I used to serve onboard a submarine with the brother of their guitarist back in the 90's. Used to hear about them all the time.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:45 pm 
Canyon

Pender wrote:
Taking nephew and his dad (my brother) to go see this later this Summer....

Saw this last year with my wife and father-in-law. It was actually pretty cool. That giant screen they have behind the orchestra is unbelievably clear and vibrant -- I'd love to see the movies (some of them) in their entirety on a screen like that. The really cool thing about the whole thing though was that ultimately the focus was on the music itself and honoring those who made it. You'll see what I mean -- I was very surprised by it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:36 pm 

brian wrote:
No '81 :(

Robin Pecknold did open, but he was sick something fierce with a sinus infection and fever. He played only for about 30 minutes and you could see his sweat dripping the entire time. He warned that he'd sound like the comic book guy from the Simpsons, but he still sounded pretty good.

No '81? I would have been furious. I think a law should be mandated that she has to open and close every set with it.

I also love Robin Pecknold in unnatural ways. It sucks that he was sick. I've seen a few live videos of him playing new material and it sounds great. I can't wait for the new Fleet Foxes album. I want it hard.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:43 pm 

Yeah, I wanted to hear '81, Emily, Colleen, and Sadie.

Not one of my top 4. Damn.

And it's kind of amazing how well Pecknold can sound by himself and an acoustic guitar. The sickness plus larger venue didn't help the performance though, he looked pretty uncomfortable.

How are Fleet Foxes live? I missed a free show by them by a day when I was staying in Madison for a few days. Damn the man.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:25 pm 

Saw Jucifer last night in Madison. Literally a wall of noise. Not at all what I expected, and in spite of the earplugs I wore, I still feel deaf today.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:59 pm 

brian wrote:
Saw Jucifer last night in Madison. Literally a wall of noise. Not at all what I expected, and in spite of the earplugs I wore, I still feel deaf today.

Some of Athens, GA's finest! I haven't seen them in years but that was their MO when I used to check them out regularly. I think the last time I saw them they'd just released War Bird and they were playing in a hole in the wall place in Athens called the Lunch Paper. The vibrations from the amps tickled my testes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:29 pm 

caryc wrote:
brian wrote:

Some of Athens, GA's finest! I haven't seen them in years but that was their MO when I used to check them out regularly. I think the last time I saw them they'd just released War Bird and they were playing in a hole in the wall place in Athens called the Lunch Paper. The vibrations from the amps tickled my testes.

:lol: The first thing I said after the show was "That music tickled my balls"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:41 pm 

See? I wasn't being a smartass!

I used to have a kickass shirt from them that was just black with the band name in grey and there were horns on the "J" and a pointed tail on the "r". I wore it out. I'd love to get a new one to replace it. I'm not nearly the metalhead that Lex or downhuman are and I'm pretty picky about what I like. Jucifer has always been able to scratch that itch for me. I haven't heard the new album yet. Have you?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 424 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next