HMFIC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:31 am 
Singularity ∞

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:38 pm 

Shoe wrote:

Did you read this? Like for real?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:19 pm 
Singularity ∞

Oh, HELL NO. I wouldn't read this trash if it came with a free Kate Beckinsale ride.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:26 pm 
Pollution Baby

Don't you pay the big ransom money, Jake, don't you do it!

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:22 am 
Singularity ∞

I did read one of these crazy right wing murder fantasies once. It was part of a post-apocalyptic series, and I am a HUGE fan of post-apocalyptic work. "Out of the Ashes" by William W. Johnstone.

Thought for sure I'd posted about it before, but can't find any mention of it.

Anyway, it was some of the most inept trash I've ever read. Pure wish fulfillment fantasy about a right-winger taking up arms after liberals nuke the U.S., starting a revolt against the government, and defending white folks against a race war.

So, so bad.

I looked the guy up while reading it and he had written something like 200 books. Every description sounded like similar trash. Lone Conservative Tough Guy Takes Up Arms And Kills Liberals.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:17 pm 
Pollution Baby

Again

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:21 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:38 am 
Singularity ∞

SORRY NOTO BY YOU'RE JUST PLAIN WRONG MEN CAN'T GET PREGNANT NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU WANT THEM TO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:04 am 
Pollution Baby

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:20 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:36 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:59 am 
Singularity ∞

Dungeon of Dread
by Rose Estes

You are a traveling warrior who encounters a halfling telling stories about a mountain filled with horrible monsters, a terrible wizard, and great treasure. Naturally, this grabs your interest. You grab your sword and venture into the hidden dungeon.

This is a strange book. Everything is in the wrong order! They must have had a problem at the printers, because sometimes at the bottom of the page it will tell you to turn to a page other than the NEXT page. Who thought this was a good idea!

The author also didn't seem to know how she wanted to end the story, either, and the editor forget to take out the different drafts she wrote, because I read three different endings!

What a mess!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:24 pm 

Tommyknock-knockin' on Haven's do-oh-or...!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:10 am 
Pollution Baby

I still really like Tommyknockers and don't understand the 'hate' some people have for it. I did read it before the Tracy Lord's TV movie though.

Currently listening to 'It'
Attachment:
File comment: It
it[1].jpg
it[1].jpg [ 43.25 KiB | Viewed 95 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:23 pm 

Ericubus wrote:
I still really like Tommyknockers and don't understand the 'hate' some people have for it.

It's pretty much the last of King in his manic, 80s "coke fiend" period, and the whole thing is like an anguished, overstuffed metaphor for his substance-addled mind at the time. Read through that prism, it's kind of morbidly fascinating. King wouldn't write another book this nutty until he got back on drugs...albeit painkillers following the 1999 road accident that nearly killed him (that book? The deeply funny and insane Dreamcatcher).

The 90s miniseries was wretched, from what I recall. There's a new film version in the works, and I hope it turns out better than that. At least now they'll have the budget and F/X technology to bring King's crazier visuals to proper life (like the floating Coke machine that runs one character down in the road).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:18 am 
Pollution Baby

Ya, I think I read Misery right after Tommyknockers, so the addiction was strong then, both thematically and in reality with King. In both books it was the.most important thing, and in both adaptations it was mostly breezed by.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:05 pm 

I am one of those who has never been able to finish Tommyknockers. I don't really have a hate for it. I just can't seem to make it past the 100 page mark. I've tried multiple times but always just switched to a different book at some point.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:53 pm 

The problem is the book takes FOREVER to get to the point. King himself said in an interview, "There's a good 350-page book in there. The problem is it's over 700 pages".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:01 pm 
Singularity ∞

That seems to be a running problem in much of his work, if my limited experience reading his stuff is any indication. About the only one I read that was tight and focused was Cell (which I really enjoyed).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:22 am 
Pollution Baby

Eyes of the Dragon is pretty tight, and good. I read that in one sitting.

'It' is also very tight, even at its length. There are so many stories within that story it carries through easily.

Actually, all of his books I've read are like that for me, even Tommyknockers. Getting to know Gard while jumping back and forth to other little stories was enjoyable.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:52 am 

Also, his early books were much more to the point.

Shoe - if you want to read a fantastic example of chilling "modern" (as in 1980's) horror, read Salem's Lot. It's to the point and really holds up.

Carrie is also good in that regard but suffers a little just in it having a weird execution and being his first novel. I feel like he started getting a bit long-winded around Firestarter and The Shining. I love both of those books but you have to enjoy the journey and not just want to get to the conclusion.

The Stand is the best example of King rambling but writing a perfect fucking book.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:16 am 
Pollution Baby

Carrie was ambitiously well written, especially for a first novel. His teasing with timelines and revealing just enough to keep you wanting more. He continues that through most of his books, he tells you a character is going to die, or something is going to happen, not just hinting or foreshadowing but straight out says, 'that is the last time he would see him alive'. King uses that a lot. In 'It' he also uses it to tell each character's interaction with the monster, not their deaths. Actually, thinking about it, King uses almost every trick of that type, from Chekov’s Gun to prophecies to everything. To very good effect too, it is a great book.

But, ya, that Stephen King guy, you may want to look into him, good writer.

P.S. It totally ripped off A Nightmare on Elm Street with its fantastical murder scenes, just sayin'.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:25 am 

Ericubus wrote:

P.S. It totally ripped off A Nightmare on Elm Street with its fantastical murder scenes, just sayin'.

As they say, if you're going to rip off something, at least rip if off of something good.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:32 am 
Singularity ∞

caryc wrote:
The Stand is the best example of King rambling but writing a perfect fucking book.

I loved The Stand and think the first 2/3 is some of the most gripping stuff I've ever read, but I side with the common wisdom that says it went off the rails in the end.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:23 am 

caryc wrote:
Shoe - if you want to read a fantastic example of chilling "modern" (as in 1980's) horror, read Salem's Lot. It's to the point and really holds up.

It was published in 1975. :wink:

It is one of King's best early novels, though, concise, creepy and well-paced. The Tobe Hooper miniseries does as good a job of adapating it by the standards of late-70s TV as was probably possible, but the book is definitely worth a read.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:10 pm 

Shoe wrote:
I loved The Stand and think the first 2/3 is some of the most gripping stuff I've ever read, but I side with the common wisdom that says it went off the rails in the end.

I'll agree to disagree on that one. I've read the unabridged version six times since its publication. Each time I appreciate it more, including the ending. To each his own though.