It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:00 pm 
HMFIC

caryc wrote:
What you said about From Russia With Love really does set it apart from all the others. That look inside SMERSH gives you a real sense of how the game is being played that some of the other books don't.

Yeah, although there's clearly some contempt for the Russians running through those chapters as well. There's tension between the way he's trying to build up this machine-like intelligence apparatus while still making it clear that this is a sick, somehow lesser culture.

caryc wrote:
In my opinion, the books get consistently better with the only exception being The Spy Who Loved Me.

Yeah? Well, Dr. No it is, I guess.

Shoe wrote:
Those 007 covers are outstanding. Wow, I love them.

They are nice, aren't they? I read them on Kindle, so no covers. But when I looked for covers, those jumped out at me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:04 pm 
Black Hole

Shemales read last books, too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:37 am 
Black Hole

READ:

Hhah AH AHHa hahahahHHEHhAH AH aHah Haa Hah hahha AHAH aha haHAhAHaha haa Ha hah ah ah AH aH ah ah Aha hAHAHAHAH AHAH AH ah aha ha ha hHA Aha HAha ha AHahhah HAAH AHAhaha haAHahh ahA ah ah ahhhahaa haa ahahahha a hahaah ahah HA HH AH AH AH AAHa AH ahhAAHah haH AH AHAahha AHAHAH hAHA haha h haHAhaHhaha hAHaha hAhh ah HAh a AH hha H AH aHHAhaaa!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:55 am 

I just Wiki'ed that dude. Wow, what a fucking nut.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:25 am 

Wow. That guy's wikipedia page tells you everything you need to know about that book. Was it at least well-written, Shoe? I mean, was it just the idea that was preposterous or was the writing crazy also?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:34 am 
Black Hole

caryc wrote:
Was it at least well-written, Shoe? I mean, was it just the idea that was preposterous or was the writing crazy also?

Nope. It's horribly written. It took me about seven or eight months to slog through it. The only reason I kept pushing forward was to see just how crazy it could get. Chapter by chapter it just got more and more nuts, right down to claiming that Princess Diana's "assassination" was planned down to the minute from before she was even born.

But the really fun stuff were the chapters describing how George HW Bush and Bill Clinton would force their mind-controlled sex slaves to run off into the woods, then the two presidents would grab rifles and hunt them down for sport. The sex slaves were often pregnant. Later, Bush would turn into into a lizard and eat the fetus.

:thumbs:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:38 am 

Shoe wrote:
Later, Bush would turn into into a lizard and eat the fetus.

Please tell me that's actually in the book, and not just something out of your imagination!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:40 am 
Black Hole

Kimfair wrote:
Shoe wrote:
Later, Bush would turn into into a lizard and eat the fetus.

Please tell me that's actually in the book, and not just something out of your imagination!

Actually. In. The. Book.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. It's insane, and the guy really believes it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:06 am 

That almost makes me want to read it. Cause that's a special kind of bat guano crazy!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:44 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:00 pm 

I love The Dark Half. I like the viciousness of it. I also own a t-shirt with that cover design on it courtesy of Fright-Rags.com. Kimfair turned me on to them, much to my wife's dismay.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:33 pm 

Re-reading it in the wake of discovering Richard Stark's (aka Donald E. Westlake's) "Parker" books definitely gives it a different slant than when I first read it circa 1992 or so. I already knew about King's own pseudonym, Richard Bachman, whose "death" was a big inspiration for the novel. This was also one of the first times I consciously began to notice characters from one King book migrating to another when supporting character Sheriff Alan Pangborn later showed up as the lead in Needful Things. The movie version was pretty good, too...I'd love to have it on Blu-Ray, especially because there's never been a widescreen version of it on DVD to my knowledge.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:27 pm 

caryc wrote:
I love The Dark Half. I like the viciousness of it. I also own a t-shirt with that cover design on it courtesy of Fright-Rags.com. Kimfair turned me on to them, much to my wife's dismay.

I have that shirt as well. My wife is always complaining that people say things about my t-shirts. I was wearing a great one from Chopping-Mall.com, a subsidiary of Fright-Rags today, and a guy downtown was asking me about it. She just gave me the eye roll!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:39 am 

Kimfair wrote:
I have that shirt as well. My wife is always complaining that people say things about my t-shirts. I was wearing a great one from Chopping-Mall.com, a subsidiary of Fright-Rags today, and a guy downtown was asking me about it. She just gave me the eye roll!

I have the one with the Peanuts characters on it and The Great Pumpkin has killed them all. My mother-in-law hates that because she's a big Peanuts fan. Last year around my birthday we all went up to L.A. to check out the space shuttle as it was being moved and I had four people come up at different times to ask me about the shirt and where I got it. She just kept saying that she couldn't believe people would want a shirt where Snoopy was dead.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:27 am 

caryc wrote:
Kimfair wrote:

I have the one with the Peanuts characters on it and The Great Pumpkin has killed them all. My mother-in-law hates that because she's a big Peanuts fan. Last year around my birthday we all went up to L.A. to check out the space shuttle as it was being moved and I had four people come up at different times to ask me about the shirt and where I got it. She just kept saying that she couldn't believe people would want a shirt where Snoopy was dead.

My sister in law is a huge Peanuts fan, so of course, we bought her one of those. She loved it! Almost all of my t-shirts came from there or from their sister site Chopping-Mall. I just ordered a limited edition Tarman from Return of the Living Dead shirt (comes complete with Tarman tie on mask, like the old Ben Cooper masks from the 1960's). They are coming out with 3 new RE-Animator shirts on Aug 12. 2 Regular, one limited edition. Can't wait!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:25 pm 

Recommended!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:36 am 
HMFIC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:06 am 
HMFIC

Also...

Because I found it on a list of weird books about time travel, and I tend to enjoy time-travel stories that tie themselves into a knot. Heinlein's "By His Bootstraps" and "All You Zombies" are good ones, though both short stories.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:16 am 

Eric wrote:

What did you think? I thought Dr. No was much grittier than some of the previous ones.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:34 pm 
HMFIC

caryc wrote:
What did you think? I thought Dr. No was much grittier than some of the previous ones.

Well, he killed off some established characters and the Bond girl had a crooked nose. Not exactly Ursula Andress. I enjoyed it, like I enjoyed all of them, but From Russia With Love remains my favorite.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:58 am 
Black Hole

CURRENTLY READING these three books:

GOOD OMENS by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett - Very entertaining writing and humor but boy howdy does this ever get off to a s l o w start. I've almost bailed a few times. A little over 20% through and it's finally starting to pick up steam, though. I'm starting to enjoy it.

I'M A STRANGER HERE MYSELF by Bill Bryson - A collection of essays written for The Mail on Sunday, a British newspaper, about the author's return to America after spending 20 years in England. Highly entertaining.

THE DISAPPEARING SPOON by Sam Kean - Only just started it and I'm already hooked. Engaging writing, interesting science, fun history. This book was written for me. Just 40 pages in and I already love it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:17 am 

Just finished.

Excellent collection of stories and interviews about the great Nigerian Afrobeat innovator. Interesting book on an interesting subject.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:44 am 

Shoe wrote:
GOOD OMENS by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett - Very entertaining writing and humor but boy howdy does this ever get off to a s l o w start. I've almost bailed a few times. A little over 20% through and it's finally starting to pick up steam, though. I'm starting to enjoy it.

It's fun, but not nearly as good as every other Pratchett book - so I blame Neil Gaiman.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:23 am 
Black Hole

I like Gaiman, sometimes quite a bit, but he can also be ponderous at times. It's not as much his prose, which tends to be quite direct, it's his sense of pacing.

The problem here is that the first 5th of the book has no focus. It jumps from brief setup tidbit to brief setup tidbit, none of them with any real context and none of them with any narrative momentum. Once the narrative with the angel and demon is finally established in a clear way it falls into place. Before that it's just a jumble you plod through for the clever writing and good humor.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:03 am 

Read

More Percy Jackson than Ender Wiggins it's still a pretty good book.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:33 am 

Not the best collection of King novellas, but solid.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:10 am 
Black Hole

So I'm reading I'm A Strange Here Myself by Bill Bryson. Wonderful collection of columns, thoroughly engaging and everything that makes him a great writer -- funny, insightful, educational and entertaining -- though one thing struck me. In one column he spends time complaining that "incorrect," localized town pronunciations have disappeared and been replaced by homogenized and "correct" pronunciations, thereby sapping away the character of the region. He used Norwich (nor-which vs nor-itch) as an example. It's a true loss, he says.

But in The Lost Continent, he spends a few pages complaining about Southerners who don't pronounce their town name "correctly," mocking them as uneducated nitwits who pronounce their town name differently than people in Europe with the same town name. How mortifying, he says.

I guess he did a little growing up in the 10 years between those books. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:27 am 

Read

As much fun to read as the title suggests.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:54 pm 
Black Hole

I had the pleasure of getting some sneak previews of that while it was still being written about two years ago and talking with one of the editors about the concept and process. (Same publisher as my Husband book.) Sounded like fun.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:02 am 

Read

It was different but good, I think it was meant to be a black comedy but it wasn't that funny.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:52 pm 
HMFIC

Except with no illustrations, because it was on a Kindle. For free, I might add, all of Dickens's stuff being in the public domain.

Slow start, and Dickens's usual digressions and weaving of characters together in ways that make a suspension of disbelief sometimes hard, but a good read once it got going. The central mystery is easy to figure out even before he gives it away, perhaps a third of the way into the book, but even late-period Dickens is often hilarious, and the eccentric characters are always fun.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:21 am 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:49 pm 

Read:

Great book! Even as someone who is not a huge hip-hop fan, this was a very fun read and great if you're a music nerd of any sort.

Currently reading:

I'm only a third of the way in and it's very, very entertaining.

Finished: All of the Ian Fleming Bond books. The final two books are somewhat lackluster in my opinion. I already knew Octopussy was another short story collection cobbled together after Fleming's death. I particularly enjoyed the title story even though Bond isn't really present in most of it. The Man With The Golden Gun just felt like a retread of other novels with the exception of the very beginning. It's a pretty unsatisfying entry overall which is frustrating because it wraps up a story arc that runs from On Her Majesty's Secret Service through You Only Live Twice and then doesn't really pay off as well as it should. Still, the one two punch of On Her Majesty's Secret Service and You Only Live Twice is fantastic.

I may try some of the John Gardner books after a break. I'm kind of "Bonded" out right now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:11 pm 
HMFIC

Just went back to Bond books, with Goldfinger. Haven't posted it here because I'm only about halfway through it (after two days, which is a contrast with how long it took me to read Our Mutual Friend).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:22 pm 

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next