It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:39 pm 

Was that your first time reading it, Monty?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:45 pm 

Second. It's a great book. Has anyone read those "spin-off" books published a year or so back? Are they any good?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:16 pm 
HMFIC

Never less than entertaining, but never more than inessential. Two books in the series consisting of an extended flashback, essentially back-to-back if you read them with this one inserted?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:35 am 
HMFIC

Been meaning to read this since the remake came out. Read comments from Lem where he disparaged the movie, saying it focused too much on a love story and not enough on the futility of trying to communicate with the planet, but really, the interaction between the main character and his resurrected wife are the part of the novel that seemed to work the best. Long stretches were just catalogs of fictional research and theories illustrating how humanity had tried to comprehend the planet and failed, but they read like the descriptions of everyone's clothes in American Psycho: they got the point across, but at the expense of being tedious as hell.

Read the recent new translation, not the 1970 one.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:40 pm 

Great book.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:46 pm 
HMFIC

Read this as a kid, probably 30 years ago. And now again. Nothing more coherent than a bunch of letters Tolkien wrote to his kids in the character of Santa Claus, but it obviously would have been cool as fuck to have him as your father.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:09 pm 

My first-ever King book (read in 1992), and still one of my favorites. Granted, re-reading it for the first time in over a decade, my teenage passion for the book has been somewhat dulled, mainly because now I see the obvious influences on the book like Lord Of The Rings that went right over my head at the time. It's also a pretty bloated read...even in the pre-expanded 1978 edition (which I only read the one time before I picked up the "uncut" version in paperback), the center of the book, with all the plague survivors meeting up in Colorado and spending what seems like 500 pages going on and on about setting up a new government and shit, drags. But once the final 200 or so pages come around, it moves like a rocket. I'd kind of like to read a sequel to this book one day...seeing as how it's creeping up on its fortieth anniversary, it'd be fascinating to see what the post-plague world would have evolved into over the course of four decades.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:56 am 

King at his absolute best. The Stand, and the first 4 Dark Tower books. The last three annoyed me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:49 pm 

Of all the "oral history" books on music scenes and movements, this one ranks up there with Please Kill Me in my opinion. Even though it only focuses on one band, it's a band that cut the way for so many others in the "alternative" scene of the 1990's that it feels like it's dealing with something bigger. Plus, like Motley Crue's The Dirt, this book is pretty candid about the scene, the players and the music. Assholes come off as assholes, even when they're the titular person.

The only thing I disliked (and it's what I didn't like about Mullen's other book We've Got The Neutron Bomb: An Oral History of LA Punk) is that it gets bogged down in the middle. His attempt to capture every "legendary" show or event in Jane's history gets old and essentially break down to "they tried this thing, it kind of backfired, then they played the most amazing set ever and afterwards got high".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:33 pm 
Singularity ∞

Holy shit, WANT WANT WANT.

Didn't know this book existed, but I HAVE to have it. Jane's were a huge, huge part of my life.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:41 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Didn't know this book existed, but I HAVE to have it. Jane's were a huge, huge part of my life.

Same here. Over the holiday break I remembered a feature in an old edition of Spin where they told the oral history of the band. I went online looking for that article and found that the author turned it into a 475 page book. It was purchased within seconds.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:02 pm 

Gargantuan (over 1,000 pages), engrossing manga epic. Miyazaki's film was great, but it's a mere shadow of what he accomplished here. It'd take a trilogy of films (or a television series) to adapt properly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:07 pm 
Cavity

Pretty bad so far. But I'm interested in some behind-the-scenes info so I'll stick through it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:58 am 

Closing this one to start a 2014 thread.

Letterboxed

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6