It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:17 pm 
Pollution Baby

What are the thoughts of our resident comic book lovers here? On his ability to wright for the series and the controversy?

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:18 pm 

Full disclosure: I'm 100% pro-gay rights. I marched against Prop 8 in Laguna Beach. I picketed Saddleback Church. I refuse to eat at Chik-Fil-A.

That said, a person's views are just that. Card is a writer who has gone on record with his personal views but they are still his personal views. He has every right to be employed by DC and script Superman comics. In fact, the only way his views should get him fired would be if he were walking the corporate halls spouting hate speech at other employees.

The fact is, DC is not going to let him even so much as hint at a controversial stance within the pages of their flagship character. If AllOut hadn't said anything about this, no one would care and to be honest, I think they should have just let this one die on the vine.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:03 pm 

People vote with their dollars. If people don't want to support some homophobic dude, they won't buy the comic. Actually, who really buys comics anyways? Seems like a silly thing to get worked up over. It's irrelevant media. And this is coming from someone who's purchased a Superman comic in the last few months. (Action Comics written by Grant Morrison - I read comics based on the writer, because of their talent, not because of their views or the character in the story)

That is all.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:39 pm 

Hmmm, I have to let my daughter know about that Action Comics - she's obsessed with Grant Morrison, but usually sticks to Doom Patrol.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:43 pm 
Pollution Baby

caryc wrote:
...In fact, the only way his views should get him fired would be if he were walking the corporate halls spouting hate speech at other employees...
What if there was enough public backlash that DC thought anything written by him would be ignored by enough of their usual audience that it would not be profitable to keep him as an employee?

Of course people should have the right to say anything, but saying things has consequences. If I open up a bakery and publicly state that I am against Christianity and believe religion should be outlawed, I would be doing it at the risk of alienating potential customers. The people there are simply saying to DC, if you are going to support that point of view (by hiring someone that is openly for it), then we are not going to support you.

That is the very definition of the free market regulating itself.

Orson Scott Card is not merely someone with personal feelings that he has stated publicly. He is the leader of groups dedicated to stopping gay rights. He is actively fighting against them. That has consequences.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:23 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
Hmmm, I have to let my daughter know about that Action Comics - she's obsessed with Grant Morrison, but usually sticks to Doom Patrol.

It's a pretty fun read, I think he's off the series in an issue or two. The first half of the run is collected in a trade paperback - get it now. Now!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:48 pm 

Well, she can buy it...I'm not into them (I used to read Superman when I was a wee boy - always loved the miniature city place Superman kept in a cave somewhere).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:58 pm 

Kandor.

And sometimes Superman and Jimmy Olson would go there and fight crime as Nightwing and Flamebird. Pretty sure Jimmy Olson was Flamebird.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:57 am 

Ericubus wrote:
caryc wrote:
...In fact, the only way his views should get him fired would be if he were walking the corporate halls spouting hate speech at other employees...
What if there was enough public backlash that DC thought anything written by him would be ignored by enough of their usual audience that it would not be profitable to keep him as an employee?

Of course people should have the right to say anything, but saying things has consequences. If I open up a bakery and publicly state that I am against Christianity and believe religion should be outlawed, I would be doing it at the risk of alienating potential customers. The people there are simply saying to DC, if you are going to support that point of view (by hiring someone that is openly for it), then we are not going to support you.

That is the very definition of the free market regulating itself.

Orson Scott Card is not merely someone with personal feelings that he has stated publicly. He is the leader of groups dedicated to stopping gay rights. He is actively fighting against them. That has consequences.

That's up for the market and DC to decide, but the way I read your question it seemed you were asking about his ability to write for the comic. Thus my answer about DC not giving him free reign to write his views into the series.

If his attachment to the series hurts DC's sales then they have every right to fire him, whether he's keeping his views to himself during his employment or not. As you said, it's free market capitalism at that point. It would be no different than me doing something that hurt sales at my company. There are consequences.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:23 am 
Pollution Baby

The 'ability' as just if you think he's a good writer and will be good at writing for that series.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:53 am 

Ericubus wrote:
The 'ability' as just if you think he's a good writer and will be good at writer for that series.

I've only ever read Ender's Game by Card. I think he'll be fine. He's got a great imagination if he can buy the whole Joseph Smith thing as deeply as he has, and he's probably got experience with secret identities if he's that vehemently anti-gay. It should be an award winning run.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:18 am 
Pollution Baby

I hate to be prejudice with things, but looking at Orson Scott Card, my first assumption would be that he's gay. Think that has anything to do with his crusades?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:21 am 

Ericubus wrote:
I hate to be prejudice with things, but looking at Orson Scott Card, my first assumption would be that he's gay. Think that has anything to do with his crusades?

Certainly makes you wonder. Looking at the long line of outspoken anti-gay, social conservatives who have been exposed over the last few years I'd say he's one police-sting Craigslist ad away from a scandal.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:24 am 

caryc wrote:
Ericubus wrote:

Certainly makes you wonder. Looking at the long line of outspoken anti-gay, social conservatives who have been exposed over the last few years I'd say he's one police-sting Craigslist ad away from a scandal.

It's like the old Bobcat Goldthwait stand-up routine about gay bashing. "You fag!" Punch. "You're a fag!" Punch "And you're kinda cute!" Punch.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:48 pm 
Black Hole

Kimfair wrote:
caryc wrote:
Ericubus wrote:

It's like the old Bobcat Goldthwait stand-up routine about gay bashing. "You fag!" Punch. "You're a fag!" Punch "And you're kinda cute!" Punch.

Ever since I read ENDER'S GAME I had thought he WAS gay.

8-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:40 am 
Pollution Baby

Saw the preview for this with Despicable Me 2.

Ender's Game

Looked pretty good, however I've never read it either.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:49 am 

Geez, I remember when Jake Lloyd was going to star in this over a decade ago...takes a while to make some movies...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:07 pm 
Singularity ∞

Ericubus wrote:
Looked pretty good, however I've never read it either.

Trailer looks great, and the book is great, too. It's one of those rare "children's" books that is perhaps even better when read as an adult, as it really gets into some dark and thematically powerful stuff. It very, very easily could have been your usual adolescent wish fulfillment fantasy -- young boy is trained to become an unstoppable military machine -- but instead the author explores the reality of what that actually means and the impact that would have on a child.

The author may be a dirtbag with shitty views, but I recommend this book. It's a modern science fiction classic for a reason. (Can't speak for any of the sequels.)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:48 pm 
HMFIC

Just read Ender's Game, having been careful to download it illegally so as not to support a bigot. Eh. Some cool ideas, but it largely DID feel like adolescent wish-fulfillment, at least on the part of the brother and sister being so much smarter than everyone. Wasn't particularly well-written, though he does get some credit for not making the main character a remorseless badass. Though then he loses some of it for making the contrition seem forced. Maybe it benefits on re-reading from having originally read it as a kid. Tore through it in about two days, and I can't say I was bored, but neither was I terribly impressed.

And judging from the book, Card's about as queer as a three-dollar bill.