It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:35 pm 

Shoe wrote:
I've only read one, Weaveworld, and to be honest i stopped reading it with about 200 pages to go. I remember being fascinated with his ideas but feeling like the story was meandering something fierce.

In his short fiction, perhaps that won't be an issue.

I have the same problem with his novels which is why I don't really seek them out. Like I said, when I've taken the time they've been satisfying overall but you're completely right about the meandering. His short stories meander some also but it's forgivable.

Books of Blood Vol. 5 is the cream of the Barker crop so far. There are only four stories here but all four hit that high mark that "Revelations" sets in Vol. 4 in my opinion. Also, these four stories show Barker's imagination at its best. I'd forgotten that "The Forbidden" was the basis of the Candyman films. This is much better than the movie. The best story here though is "Madonna". It Lovecraft filtered through Barker and it's amazing.

Also, I noticed in all four stories there is some small fascination with shapes and geometry. It's apparent that the Hellraiser stories are brewing (if not already fully formed) by now.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:39 pm 

I've read a couple of Barker's books and they aren't an easy thing to get through, of all that I've read I liked Imajica and The Great And Secret Show the best.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:34 am 

John Carter wrote:
I've read a couple of Barker's books and they aren't an easy thing to get through, of all that I've read I liked Imajica and The Great And Secret Show the best.

The Great and Secret Show is my favorite with Weaveworld a close second. I never did read Imajica.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:05 am 

Books of Blood Vol. 6

The last volume in the Books of Blood is famous for having "The Last Illusion", the story that spawned the movie Lord of Illusions. That story is the weakest of the bunch this time around in my opinion. It's still good but this is one of those rare cases where the movie fleshes the idea out to make something better than the source material. The highlight story in this collection for me is "How Spoilers Bleed". A great and grotesque yarn about greedy explorers getting their due. However the other two stories in here are also very good and the wrap around story that connects the series to the very first story in volume one is a very fitting end.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:18 am 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:46 pm 

This isn't something I'd normally throw out here, but damn if this collection isn't really good! It's an eBook only offering and there are a bunch of "megapack" titles from this company called Wildside. At $0.99 it's a steal and while you have to figure that most of these are stories in the public domain, they were almost all new to me. Some really different takes on the werewolf myth here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:43 am 

:thumbs:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:56 pm 

Read

A little better than the first one.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:17 am 

Hard to believe there once was a time that Stephen King could bring a novel in around 400 pages.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:21 am 
Singularity ∞

caryc wrote:

:thumbs:

I LOVE the 33 1/3 series, though they can be a mixed bag. The ones that are actually about the making of the album are awesome. The ones about the author or fans, not so much.

Which is this one?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:33 am 

Read

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:25 am 

Shoe wrote:
Which is this one?

Both. The first 20 pages had me worried because it was the author waxing poetic about the album, which is fine but I already love the album and don't need the cheerleading. Then it changed. There are large sections with bandmembers telling their side of the making of or the process leading up to the recording. Scattered between those are sections of listeners giving short (1 - 2 paragraph) reactions of their first listens. Those are fun because he didn't just include fans. There are people who just don't get it at all. Finally there are a few more sections scattered between where the author breaks down things about the album (word play, lo-fi, etc.). Those are okay if you're in the right mood. Overall, it's a thumbs up and WAY better than the one I read about Liz Phair's Exile in Guyville. That one almost turned me off from reading any others.

You know, ultimately I'm not any better off having read this. I'm a fan of the album. It didn't make me love it any more than I do and the in depth look at the lyrics of certain songs did nothing for me. Also, I already knew a lot of the stories behind the making of because I'd read the biography of the band a few years ago. Still, it wasn't bad at all. I'd recommend it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:34 am 
Singularity ∞

caryc wrote:
WAY better than the one I read about Liz Phair's Exile in Guyville. That one almost turned me off from reading any others.

The series can be REALLY spotty. When it's good it's GREAT, but every other book seems to be less about the album and more about the author waxing nostalgic or jerking off or whatever. Pavement's Wowee Zowee, for instance, fully half that book was the author writing about himself. The fact that he didn't like the album in college, all the jobs he's had since then, how he got the book deal, etc.

No one gives a fuck, dude! We want to read about the goddamn album!

The good ones, on the other hand, are excellent. In The Aeroplane Over The Sea, Loveless, and several others were great reads.

The way I approach them is, either get them for free or search out lots of reviews before spending your money.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:27 pm 

Shoe wrote:

The way I approach them is, either get them for free or search out lots of reviews before spending your money.

I plundered What for them. Can you give me a quick list of your favorites? I had Wowee Zowee lined up to read right after my current book actually. Now, not so much.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:58 pm 

I have only read two of them, and enjoyed them both very much. Tom Waits Swordfishtrombone, and The Minutemen Double Nickels On The Dime.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:09 pm 
Singularity ∞

caryc wrote:
Shoe wrote:

I plundered What for them. Can you give me a quick list of your favorites? I had Wowee Zowee lined up to read right after my current book actually. Now, not so much.

Skip Wowee Zowee, for sure. HATED it.

Of those I've read, these were good:

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane over the Sea
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
The Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Nirvana - In Utero

AVOID

R.E.M. - Murmur
Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine
Radiohead - OK Computer
Pavement - Wowee Zowee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:57 am 

Shoe wrote:
[
The Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Nirvana - In Utero

AVOID

R.E.M. - Murmur

Bummer about R.E.M. I was looking forward to that one. I have Paul's Boutique lined up next now. Thanks for the recommendations.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:52 am 

Read

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:11 pm 
HMFIC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:37 am 

On my two week trip to visit relatives in Michigan, I devoured a handful of books and short stories. Three of those were 33 1/3 books.

Shoe is right that this book is great. It's the best of all the 33 1/3 books I've read so far (which now totals six). A fantastically told story about the making of the album that is less focused on fandom and technical detail and more about the impossible set of circumstances that created a great album. An album that initially failed by the way.

I like Ween quite a bit but am not an uber fan. I feel like this book wouldn't really tell someone a lot they didn't already know if they were extremely into them. I liked it though. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being the godawful 33 1/3 book about Liz Phair's Exile in Guyville and 10 being the Paul's Boutique book above, this rates a solid 7.

Another solid 7. Again, most fans probably know these stories so it's nothing mind-blowingly new. However it's still a fun read and the stories about the other Def Jam artists (and executives) who just didn't get what the fuss was about are enjoyable.

Currently reading:

So far, so good but in typical fashion Frank Black isn't really cooperating with the author in regards to nuggets or insights about the album. Thus so far it's been a short history lesson on the band. Hopefully that changes soon.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:21 am 

Update on the Doolittle book: I give it a 4 out of 10. It's a great album whose creation doesn't make for compelling reading.

At this point, I'm going to stop on the 33 1/3 series for a bit. I've got a few more in the queue but it'll be a while before I get to them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:53 pm 

Read

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:45 am 

Read

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:46 pm 

Read

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:51 pm 

Battle of the five armies in the upcoming third movie? Over forty-five minutes. Battle of the five armies in the book? Not even ten pages.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:21 pm 

Hey John Carter - What are your thoughts on the Books of Blood? Do they hold up or have you never read them before?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:21 pm 

caryc wrote:
Hey John Carter - What are your thoughts on the Books of Blood? Do they hold up or have you never read them before?

This is my first time reading them I really liked the first two but was a little underwhelmed by the third one. I'll get back to them and read the other three later but the third volume put me off for a while.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:42 am 

Read

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:28 pm 
Black Hole

"Read."

Attachment:
secret-santa-003-141215.jpg
secret-santa-003-141215.jpg [ 331.24 KiB | Viewed 5145 times ]

It was really just a chapter, but I read it.

The part that really got me was the photo section at the end.

Well, that and the size of these elven boobs. Damn.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:05 am 

This needs to be closed.

Letterboxed

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5