It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:06 am 

Read

Easily my least favorite of the Discworld books I've read so far.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:37 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:49 pm 

Read

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:09 pm 

Every bit as bad as I was led to believe. How they think they can squeeze TWO movies out of this baffles me, as Katniss does FUCK-ALL except mope around in some underground bunker for two-thirds of the book. I should have stopped with the first one, which is a completely satisfying stand-alone read.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:49 pm 

Read

It was a lot better than I expected it to be.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:23 pm 

Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series is very good, especially the first couple.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:39 pm 

Kimfair wrote:
Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series is very good, especially the first couple.

I've read the first one and enjoyed it. I've planned to read the others at some point.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:25 pm 

Read

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:40 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:29 pm 

I had that edition. Haven't read that book in years. If I remember there are a few great stories in there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:02 pm 

I actually have a paperback with a different cover, but this cover is my favorite. Ah, back in the days when King could tell a coherent story in 30 pages or less...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:04 pm 

More like Night Shit.

I like King and all, especially his early stuff, but there's maybe four good stories in that collection. The rest are lucky to rise to mediocrity. It can be an interesting read if you're really into King to chart his evolution as a writer and storyteller but on any other level it pretty much sucks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:46 pm 
HMFIC

Doesn't Night Shift have "Mrs. Todd's Shortcut" in it? I'd point to that as one of King's best efforts at actually writing, as opposed to coming up with a disturbing idea and building a plot around it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:35 pm 

Nope, that's in Skeleton Crew.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:07 pm 

Read

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:55 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:48 am 
Singularity ∞

Eric wrote:
Doesn't Night Shift have "Mrs. Todd's Shortcut" in it? I'd point to that as one of King's best efforts at actually writing, as opposed to coming up with a disturbing idea and building a plot around it.

From a prose style perspective, King can be a really good writer at times, but at other times his over reliance on pop culture references and slang begins to grate.

Don't even get me started on his plotting. He's a great idea guy, but his refusal to actually plot his stories almost invariably results in his longer works staggering to a meandering finish. Stuff like Under The Dome is terrific ... until it's not.

Mind you, I've not read nearly as much King as most of you folks have. Maybe half-a-dozen books and some shorts.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:03 pm 
HMFIC

The one I'm referring to is so short he probably did the first draft in one sitting, so plotting isn't an issue. He basically has one idea that he develops. But he does a good job in that one of quickly building round characters from stereotypes, and he avoids pretty much all of his usual crutches.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:06 pm 
Singularity ∞

Eric wrote:
But he does a good job in that one of quickly building round characters from stereotypes,

This is the one thing that tends to impress me about him. He's very good at creating real, believable characters, and he does it with a shorthand that usually avoids cumbersome exposition. And like you say, they're often stereotypes, yet he somehow manages to round out those stereotypes and make them real, three-dimensional people.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:23 am 
Pollution Baby

That has always been what sets his writing apart for me. King's character are real people, and you care about them. Fleshed out back stories that flow honestly into the persona they are. They have a general 'alignment', in the true Dungeons & Dragons tradition, then life happens and molds them. Lovecraft and Poe could put you deeply into a situation, and bring terror from it, but King would make you root for other people, while doing terrible things to them.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:24 am 
Pollution Baby

Because I feel left out, although I do read everyday...
Very good 'scary' story, just enough for kids. It is a book that indirectly teaches them a lot about how to write fiction. Both my 5-year-old and 3-year-old love it.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:59 am 

I love Bunnicula! The whole idea of a vampire rabbit is fucking hilarious.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:48 am 
Pollution Baby

Kimfair wrote:
I love Bunnicula! The whole idea of a vampire rabbit is fucking hilarious.
I'm going to seek out more from that writer and series, I really like his style. I grabbed that book on a whim from a used book area, it looked to be a little scary and is was under a dollar I think. I didn't realize there was a whole series and even a TV special in the early 80's.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:44 pm 
HMFIC

The first one (Bunnicula) was one of the required books in one of my elementary reading trivia competitions. I remember enjoying it and the sequels when I was in grade school.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:53 am 
Sinkhole

For some reason this took FOREVER to finish, and I'm not sure why. It's not a long book, I liked the characters and the be-careful-what-you-wish-for scenarios. Maybe it was the lack of fire and blood? IDK.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:34 pm 

I'm coming into this extremely late but I've been on vacation. Like Ericubus said, it's King's characters that really make me want to read, however the more he meandered over the years, the less I went back to him. Monty posted From A Buick 8 up as recently read and that's the book where I completely gave up on him for a long, long time. Prior to that, I'd read almost everything. Now that I've gone back and read a few of his later books, I find they're hit and miss, but the characters are still extremely well done.

Of the King books I've read (maybe 10 - 15?), my two favorites are later books. Insomnia and Bag of Bones are both tied for me. Of course, I love the ones everyone considers King classics (The Shining, The Stand, Salem's Lot, It, etc.) but both Insomnia and Bag of Bones were books that I kept wishing wouldn't end. I wanted them to just go on and on and at the end of both, I felt I'd lost touch with old friends by the time I turned the last page. I know that sounds cliché and dramatic, but it's true. The only one of the older books that came close to that was The Stand where I'd have killed for another 300 pages of Stu and Frannie's life in the wilds of the East Coast.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:13 pm 

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:11 am 

I'm really surprised no one has re-made The Incredible Shrinking Man, yet.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:23 am 

Kimfair wrote:
I'm really surprised no one has re-made The Incredible Shrinking Man, yet.

Same here. The 50's version is one of the better B-movie productions of the period, but it would be a cinch to realize the shrinking F/X today. I guess studios are only interested in remaking the stuff that's currently nostalgic to thirty and fortysomethings, which is why there was a slew of remakes of 50's B-movies in the late 70's and throughout the 80's, but now it's all remakes of stuff from the late 70's and throughout the 80's. In another decade's time, we'll see a ton of remakes of 90's movies...hell, we're already kind of there (Total Recall, that upcoming Boy Meets World sequel series).

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:23 pm 

Monterey Jack wrote:
In another decade's time, we'll see a ton of remakes of 90's movies...hell, we're already kind of there (Total Recall, that upcoming Boy Meets World sequel series).

But then what? There's such a glut of remakes anymore that at some point we'll be remaking remakes. Eventually, someone needs to reach back further and then we'll get our Creature From The Black Lagoon and The Incredible Shrinking Man remakes.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:00 pm 

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:05 pm 

Pretty good.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:55 am 

Fun horror book that has a decent mystery and moves along at a good pace. I'll be checking out more of this guy's work.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:44 pm 

Needed more of Michael J. Fox and James Woods.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:53 pm 

I like this series...unpretentious, fast-paced and never overstay their welcome. Tom Cruise is about the LAST actor I would have cast as Jack Reacher, though (even though I liked the movie for what it was).

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next