It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Story Ideas...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:34 am 
Pollution Baby

Mission: Colonization

Science fiction story about a mission to colonize another planet. The mission would be a long one, multi-generational. I was thinking about what types of issues that would bring up, and how they could be solved. One issue is making sure the next generation could handle maintaining and using the equipment, understanding the technology and being skilled enough with it. Having parents that are, is no guarantee the children will be. So, either genetic engineering, or even more 'fun', clones. Not just raising and training and working with versions of yourself, but how much of those abilities were developed through environment. Also the social and ethical issues. The people originally on the mission did so by choice, the off-spring would not have that. What type of training would be developed, how that effects those in the system. Etc etc etc...

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

Post subject: Re: Story Ideas...
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:37 pm 

Didn't I buy you a Druuna graphic novel?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:39 pm 
Singularity ∞

You have a solid setting. It's pretty classic sci-fi stuff. Always good potential with a setting like this.

Still need the story, though. What's the conflict here? What motivates these people into action, and what is that action?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:20 pm 
Pollution Baby

Chris Knight wrote:

Yes, my son loved it, why?

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:37 pm 

Ericubus wrote:
Chris Knight wrote:

:)
I wasn't posting random anecdotes. spoiler ahead, in case your son never gave it back to you...
Spoiler: show
she lives on a generational inserstellar ship. The voyage has lasted so long that the population on board has forgotten this, and started an oppressive religion to explain the weird shit that goes on.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:58 pm 
Pollution Baby

Shoe wrote:
You have a solid setting. It's pretty classic sci-fi stuff. Always good potential with a setting like this.

Still need the story, though. What's the conflict here? What motivates these people into action, and what is that action?

Ya, it is more premise than story, but overall...

A strong female lead scientist that has fought for projects to help control global climate change, but coming to the conclusion that it is inevitable and nothing can really be done. Changing focus, and developing ways to colonize a different planet. She is married, to a scientist as well, and they have children that are of varying types and wants. She has neglected the younger ones more so than the older ones in following what she deems to be the most important thing humanity can do now. Her arc will involve slowly giving in more and more of her morals and integrity for the good of the mission, until, in the end, she is taken over by her then cloned (new) offspring, and being glad they did.
She has to decide to leave her existing children behind, and give birth along the way to her own clone, as well as one of her husband that is also along. This is a huge step for her, away from who she has been, and more towards the mission, but agreeing to it because the others in the crew will also be doing the same and she believes in leading by example as the most successful means which, again, puts the importance of the mission as the top priority. It is agreed upon that having clones is the only way to increase the odds of the success of the next generation to fulfill the mission. The trip will take over 40 years, and she knows the likelihood of her seeing the end is slim. The other women on the mission are all scientists and technicians, and much younger, but they all agree to the same deal, 2 children, one their clone, one their mates. 4 of the 'couples' are actually gay men and women.
Within the group there is a conflict about how much the abilities of the clones will be environmental, and how much genetics, this is due to the them wanting to bring aboard educators and trainers that believe it is mostly environmental, for the motivation that would bring, they ones that believe it is still more genetic, or a balance, agree to this because they want the highest likelihood of success.

This is as far as my thinking has gone so far.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:08 pm 
Pollution Baby

Chris Knight wrote:
Ericubus wrote:
Chris Knight wrote:

:)
I wasn't posting random anecdotes. spoiler ahead, in case your son never gave it back to you...
Spoiler: show
she lives on a generational inserstellar ship. The voyage has lasted so long that the population on board has forgotten this, and started an oppressive religion to explain the weird shit that goes on.

Yes, I am very familiar with Druuna. It is an awesome series, although I haven't read all of it. It is very depressing and nihilistic, so it is very much a 'in the mood for it' read for me. I first heard about it from the game, which was horrible, but started looking into the character and books after that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:55 pm 
Singularity ∞

Ericubus wrote:
This as far as my thinking has gone so far.

It's a good concept so far.