It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:58 pm 
HMFIC

I've read both Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass before, but I got this annotated edition from my father for Christmas (probably my favorite present this year; the only serious competition is a bottle of Knob Creek from the OB&C, and this will last longer). The notes go far afield and explain a LOT of jokes I didn't get the first time around, as well as keeping better track of the chess game represented by the second book than I bothered to do the first time I read it. I find I don't really read things on paper anymore unless they include footnotes; there's no good way to read something with lots of notes on a Kindle. These were lots of fun, though. If you're going to read Carroll, this is probably the way to do it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:28 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:30 am 

Just finished this fascinating book on the octopus. What an amazing animal. Since I started seeing octopus in the wild on my snorkeling trips, I find I can't order it in restaurants anymore. THey're just too smart to eat. I still eat calamari, though. Fuck squid.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:06 pm 

Read

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:12 am 

Read

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:06 pm 

Kimfair wrote:
Just finished this fascinating book on the octopus. What an amazing animal. Since I started seeing octopus in the wild on my snorkeling trips, I find I can't order it in restaurants anymore. THey're just too smart to eat. I still eat calamari, though. Fuck squid.

I 100% agree with this stance. I used to eat octopus prior to my starting to dive. Within about a year I did the same thing. I just don't look at them the same way I do a squid or some other fish. They're really smart and very curious.

The image above is one I took of my dive partner "shaking hands" with an octopus off Diver's Cove in Laguna Beach. We spotted him under the rock and my partner just put her hand down in front of the rock. The octopus slowly reached out, wrapped around her hand for a moment and let go, as if to say, "hello". It didn't swim away or tuck itself under the rock again. It just hung out until we moved on.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:00 am 

Read

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:45 am 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:58 pm 

Read

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:05 pm 
Pollution Baby

Read (out loud)

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:54 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:58 am 

Read

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:47 pm 

Read

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:21 pm 

Read

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:47 am 

Read

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:16 am 

Read

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:42 am 
Singularity ∞

I'm finally back on the horse after a extraordinarily long dry period, probably the longest of my LIFE. And I mean that literally. I've never in my entire life gone this long without finishing a book. Since I started working from home, reading for pleasure just dried up and died.

For the last month, though, I've been back on track by way of short story collections. I'm juggling four simultaneously -- HP Lovecraft, Jack McDevitt, Philip K Dick, and Arthur C Clarke -- and doing roughly a story a night.

Feels good to read again after a prolonged failure to*.

*In all fairness to myself, I started and dropped at least six books during this period -- Blood Meridian, The Black Dahlia, Homicide, Boneshaker, The Martian, and Our Band Could Be Your Life -- so it's not for lack of trying. Just haven't been able to focus enough to finish any of them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:29 am 

In all fairness, Our Band Could Be Your Life can be read as a series of short stories or short band-bios, if you will. I've got the hard cover and read it all the way through once. Occasionally though, I will go back and just read about one band when I go on a listening kick. The Sonic Youth chapter is a great read when listening to these records.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:50 am 

Read

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:42 am 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:56 pm 
Pollution Baby

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:52 pm 

I have tried to read the first Game of Thrones book multiple times but just have not been able to get past the first couple of chapters. I'm sure it's one of those where if I put in 100 pages I'd probably really love it but so far I haven't been able to tough it out to that point.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:53 am 

First time reading that book and enjoyed it a lot. I'm a sucker for pictures. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:00 am 

Read

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:57 am 
Pollution Baby

caryc wrote:
I have tried to read the first Game of Thrones book multiple times but just have not been able to get past the first couple of chapters. I'm sure it's one of those where if I put in 100 pages I'd probably really love it but so far I haven't been able to tough it out to that point.
I was hooked with the wolves.

I didn't 'read' them, I listened to them in the car, but it was all of them. Around book 4 I believe the tone and characters followed changed a lot and wasn't as interesting, but got better with 5.
The guy that did the reading (Roy Dotrice) was AWESOME! All different and identifiable character voices, he has a rough voice, which fits in perfectly. One thing that was done poorly, his original voice for Khaleesi was very good, then he changed it for whatever reason to a horrible one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:18 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:32 pm 
Pollution Baby

Spy School - Stuart Gibbs

Posting this as a reminder for my son. He finished his first honest to goodness full-on novel a few days ago. No pictures, small text, over 300 pages, and did it in about a week. We did read a few chapters together as his bedtime story, some him reading it to me, but I'm still counting it as all him. Mostly read in the living room, bus stop, extended day after school, car, pretty much wherever he could.

He has read the first few Diary of a Wimpy Kid books, as well as the Timmy Failure series, Jedi Academy, and some other kid type graphic novel books. Currently reading Timmy Failure: Now Look What You've Done (2nd book of that series). But this was the first full novel. Spy Camp, sequel to Spy School, will arrive from Amazon tomorrow.

So, all those nights of reading to him, almost every night since he was big enough to sit up on his own, have paid off so far.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:51 pm 

I can honestly thank my parents for reading to me from a very young age, and me reading to my mom for helping to provide me with my love of reading and books. They always encouraged it, I took to it like a fish to water, and it's become a life long passion. It never stuck with my sister, though, just the three boys. Good job, ericubus!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:36 pm 

Yes, great job!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:01 pm 

Read

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:44 pm 

I've been reading this series for about a month now. It's a fantastic set of stories surrounding the legends of Siddartha and his transformation from artistocrat to Buddha. Just finished volume 3 this morning. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

Also currently reading

It's more of a slog than I thought it would be. I'm about halfway through it. Some of it is entertaining but some is kind of blah.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:03 pm 

Read

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:37 am 
Singularity ∞

I've been bouncing around between six different short story collections, so while I haven't yet finished any of them, I've certainly read a book or two's worth between them:

History Lesson - Arthur C. Clarke

I Sing The Body Electric - Ray Bradbury

Cryptic: The Best Short Fiction of Jack McDevitt - Jack McDevitt

Fragile Things - Neil Gaiman

The Definitive H.P. Lovecraft - H.P. Lovecraft

We Can Remember It For You Wholesale - Philip K. Dick

About to add an Edgar Allen Poe collection to the rotation, too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:21 pm 

Read

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:18 am 
HMFIC

Meant to read this for years, because of the movie (of course). While many of the characters in the movie are based on the real people described here, you'd have a hard time finding one that really matched his description. The film took a lot of license to tell a much simpler, quicker story, and changed characters (or made them up) as necessary to make it work.

Now, that's not to say that the book is necessarily any more accurate than the movie. It's entirely filtered through Lawrence's point of view, and I know there have been accusations that he wasn't entirely honest. But he comes off as much more reluctant, much less of an exhibitionist, and much more complicit in the lies told to the Arabs as he portrays himself in the book. There's none of the conflict in the movie about his parents being unmarried (I can't remember that they were mentioned), and instead of presenting himself as the prophet-leader of the revolt, he gives lots of credit to the Arabs involved and to the other British soldiers (who are much more numerous than they were in the film).

I don't know that I could recommend it. It reads literally as an almost day-to-day record of the war. It could be that when it was being read by people who'd lived through the war, that level of detail was gripping, but it's a bit tedious now, and the constant rotating cast of people he was working with (Omar Sharif's Ali was apparently made up for the film, though there are a few different characters with a similar name) mean you've just got a long record of blowing up bridges and talking to tribesmen, with occasional digressions where Lawrence gets philosophical about how the Arabs are simpler and in some ways better than the British or how he disdains his own body. Wasn't really until the final advance on Damascus that the narrative seemed to have any urgency.

But I'm glad I read it, just to contrast the film with its source material.