It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:51 am 
Cavity

Earlier this year at the age of 43 I finally decided to start reading comics. A new shop opened in downtown Hattiesburg which is an area we love to hang out. (http://southernfriedcomics.com/)

I had no idea at this age I would be utterly hooked on these things. The owner of the shop holds all the new comics I want as they come out, he gives me the variant covers to the series I consistently get and of course invites me to all the special events he has. Currently I'm really into the DC relaunch titles (the New 52). I think it's interesting what they're doing with all these iconic characters. I've also been reading Danger Girl and the Army of Darkness and just read issue #1 of Kevin Smith's Bionic Man.

I first thought it would be a cheap hobby to get in to, but found they do quickly add up. None-the-less, it's a hobby I can share with my son so it will never be too expensive.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:32 am 

Up until the last year, I've never been a huge comic collector/reader mostly due to price. My other hobbies are so expensive that I can't justify spending the money on getting back issues, etc. even though I really loved the books I did read. All of that changed this year for me thanks to three things:

NookColor
.cbr files
torrents

I went on a comics reading tear beginning in December 2010 and only in the last couple of months have I slowed down some. My big thing has been going back to read all the titles I'd heard about from friends, so I've been focused on titles like 100 Bullets, The Boys, The Punisher MAX, The Goon and Scalped. I also went back and read up on some of the Thor, Captain America and Avengers books last spring.

I'm about to start reading Fables and also plan to reread Preacher (I have all of those in the collected volumes but haven't gone back to read the full series for a few years).

You'll have to tell me what you think about the Army of Darkness titles. I haven't read any of them except for a book someone gave me for Christmas one year where it was Ash vs. the Marvel Zombies or something like that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:14 am 
Cavity

caryc wrote:
You'll have to tell me what you think about the Army of Darkness titles. I haven't read any of them except for a book someone gave me for Christmas one year where it was Ash vs. the Marvel Zombies or something like that.

Danger Girl and the Army of Darkness is sort of a cross between Charlies Angels and The Army of Darkness movies. Only Charlies Angels are a lot more kick-ass. It's pretty good so far, Ash is being done justice and hasn't been written outside of the character we all love. I think it's only going to be a five or six part series with three already released.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:28 am 

Sounds cool. I may check it out later. Of the New 52 titles, which are your favorites? I've heard interesting things about the Green Arrow and Action Comics titles.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:56 am 
Cavity

Haven't read Green Arrow yet, Justice League and Action Comics are the two so far that I've read and so far they're really good. Action Comics is interesting because Superman is new and not really understood yet and sort of works "outside" of the law.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:49 pm 

Techiedude wrote:
Haven't read Green Arrow yet, Justice League and Action Comics are the two so far that I've read and so far they're really good. Action Comics is interesting because Superman is new and not really understood yet and sort of works "outside" of the law.

That's what I heard and it did sound intriguing. I've heard Green Arrow is more of a high tech hero in this version. I saw you were reading Kevin Smith's Bionic Man comic. I haven't picked that one up yet, but I did really like his run on The Green Hornet.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:12 pm 

I read the first week of the New 52 titles and wasn't impressed by any of them. I don't like relaunches and retcons anyway but these seem as poorly done as when Marvel turned some titles over to the Image guys about 10 years ago to relaunch.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:14 pm 

Hey, I just thought of one that I forgot to mention (and both of you may like it). The Lone Ranger series is fantastic. It's a little darker than the previous Lone Ranger titles but it's a very good comic. It actually got me excited that there was a movie coming out (which has now been scrapped).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:34 pm 
Cavity

John Carter wrote:
I read the first week of the New 52 titles and wasn't impressed by any of them. I don't like relaunches and retcons anyway but these seem as poorly done as when Marvel turned some titles over to the Image guys about 10 years ago to relaunch.
I didn't experience those Marvel titles so have no basis of comparison. The titles i've read so far have been great.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:47 pm 

I collected comics pretty heavilly back in the early 90's, but kind of drifted away from the week-to-week buying habit around '95 or so, partially due to other hobbies crowding in and stealing all of my disposable income (DVDs, soundtracks, ect.) and partially because my local comic shop was/is a good hour's walk away, and I was just getting too old for that shit. I've been getting back into the habit lately, but mainly waiting for trade collections to save money (I picked up a $25 collection of Alien vs. Predator comics from my local closing Borders for five bucks recently). It's hard to justify buying month-to-month when a single issue can set you back four or five bucks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:01 am 

caryc wrote:
Sounds cool. I may check it out later. Of the New 52 titles, which are your favorites? I've heard interesting things about the Green Arrow and Action Comics titles.

Not that you asked me, but here has been my take. And don't listen to anything John Carter tells you. It's nothing like that Heroes Reborn late-90s debacle.

New 52: Week 0, Summary
Justice League (4/5)

New 52: Week 1, Summary
Swamp Thing 5/5
O.M.A.C. 5/5
Action Comics 4.5/5
Batwing 4.5/5
Animal Man 4/5
Justice League International 4/5
Batgirl 3.5/5
Detective Comics 3/5
Hawk and Dove 3/5
Stormwatch 2.5/5
Men of War 2.5/5
Green Arrow 2.5/5
Static Shock 2/5

New 52: Week 2, Summary
Red Lanterns 5/5
Suicide Squad 4.5/5
Deathstroke 4.5/5
Demon Knights 4.5/5
Superboy 4/5
Green Lantern 4/5
Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E. 4/5
Batwoman 4/5
Legion Lost 4/5
Resurrection Man 3.5/5
Batman and Robin 3/5
Grifter 2.5
Mister Terrific 1/5

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:49 am 
Cavity

Also a good lead into the new 52 is Flashpoint 1 - 5. Very good series.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:54 pm 

caryc wrote:
Hey, I just thought of one that I forgot to mention (and both of you may like it). The Lone Ranger series is fantastic. It's a little darker than the previous Lone Ranger titles but it's a very good comic. It actually got me excited that there was a movie coming out (which has now been scrapped).

Just finished reading the first 24 issues and I loved it. The Lone Ranger is an excellent comic.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:21 pm 

John Carter wrote:
caryc wrote:

Just finished reading the first 24 issues and I loved it. The Lone Ranger is an excellent comic.

Did you check out any of the other retro titles? I read a couple of issues of Buck Rogers but didn't really like it. I also read a couple of the Doc Savage series but neither did much to make me want to pick up more.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:37 pm 

caryc wrote:
John Carter wrote:
caryc wrote:

Did you check out any of the other retro titles? I read a couple of issues of Buck Rogers but didn't really like it. I also read a couple of the Doc Savage series but neither did much to make me want to pick up more.

I picked up some of the Warlord of Mars books and after looking at Dynamite's website last night I may go get a few more, I've been reading Locke & Key for awhile and think it's one of the best books around.

Have you read any of The Phantom or Green Hornet books?

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:36 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for that list, Noto! Just the kind of thing I was looking for. I've been a Marvel guy (except for my obsession with Batman) since I was 13 but the DC reboot has me interested. Now I have the crib sheet to help figure out where to sample it.

That would make a great post on the GMH blog too, by the way...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:18 am 

John Carter wrote:

I read the first couple of issues of The Green Hornet but didn't go further. Normally I like Kevin Smith stories but I guess I just wasn't in the mood. I really would like to check out The Phantom though so I may go back for that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:55 pm 

caryc wrote:
John Carter wrote:

I read the first couple of issues of The Green Hornet but didn't go further. Normally I like Kevin Smith stories but I guess I just wasn't in the mood. I really would like to check out The Phantom though so I may go back for that.

I read the Kevin Smith run on Green Hornet and it wasn't bad, it would have made a better movie than the one that was made. The Last Phantom books are ok, The Warlord Of Mars books are pretty good and I've just started reading the Buck Rodgers books.

I also started the Project Superpowers books and I'm still not sure if I like them or hate them.

As far as the New 52 books the only one I really like are the Demon and Red Hood books.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:19 pm 
Cavity

I just started reading Keven Smith's The Bionic Man. Guess I need to get use to his writing style. Also started reading the new Star Trek series based on the Abrhams movies, and also The Game of Thrones series.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:06 am 

Surf Monkey wrote:
Thanks for that list, Noto! Just the kind of thing I was looking for. I've been a Marvel guy (except for my obsession with Batman) since I was 13 but the DC reboot has me interested. Now I have the crib sheet to help figure out where to sample it.

Here's a list. I ranked all 52 #1s...

Wonder Woman 5/5
Swamp Thing 5/5 - #2 comes out this week. I will be getting it.
O.M.A.C. 5/5 - #2 comes out this week. I will be getting it.
All-Star Western 5/5
Red Lanterns 5/5 - #2 comes out this week. I will be getting it.
Action Comics 4.5/5 - #2 comes out this week. I will be getting it.
Aquaman 4.5/5
The Flash 4.5/5
Supergirl 4.5/5
Batman 4.5/5
Demon Knights 4.5/5
Suicide Squad 4.5/5
Batwing 4.5/5 - #2 comes out this week. I will be getting it.
Deathstroke 4.5/5
Animal Man 4/5 - #2 comes out this week. I will be getting it.
Superman 4/5
Superboy 4/5
Green Lantern: New Guardians 4/5
Justice League International 4/5 - #2 comes out this week. I will be getting it.
Green Lantern 4/5
Justice League Dark 4/5
Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E. 4/5
Batwoman 4/5
Catwoman 4/5
Blackhawks 4/5
Red Hood and the Outlaws 4/5
Legion of Super-heroes 4/5
Legion Lost 4/5
Birds of Prey 3.5/5
Justice League 3.5/5
Voodoo 3.5/5
Nightwing 3.5/5
Resurrection Man 3.5/5
I, Vampire 3.5/5
Green Lantern Corps 3.5/5
DC Universe Presents (Deadman) 3.5/5
Batgirl 3.5/5
Teen Titans 3/5
Hawk and Dove 3/5 - #2 comes out this week. I will be getting it.
Batman: The Dark Knight 3/5
Blue Beetle 3/5
Batman and Robin 3/5
Detective Comics 3/5 - #2 comes out this week. I will NOT be getting it.
Stormwatch 2.5/5 - #2 comes out this week. I will NOT be getting it.
Grifter 2.5/5
Captain Atom 2.5/5
The Fury of Firestorm: The Nuclear Men 2.5/5
Men of War 2.5/5 - #2 comes out this week. I will NOT be getting it.
Green Arrow 2.5/5 - #2 comes out this week. I will NOT be getting it.
Static Shock 2/5 - #2 comes out this week. I will NOT be getting it.
The Savage Hawkman 2/5
Mister Terrific 1/5

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:22 am 
Black Hole

Haven't read many comics in the last year or so. I think my big re-read of Sandman was the last major comic reading I did. Have been selling off my trade paperback collection in dribs and drabs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:37 am 
Sinkhole

Noto wrote:
Here's a list. I ranked all 52 #1s...

Wonder Woman 5/5
Action Comics 4.5/5 - #2 comes out this week. I will be getting it.
Aquaman 4.5/5
Batman 4.5/5
Superman 4/5
Justice League International 4/5 - #2 comes out this week. I will be getting it.
Green Lantern 4/5
Batwoman 4/5
Justice League 3.5/5
Batgirl 3.5/5
Batman: The Dark Knight 3/5
Detective Comics 3/5 - #2 comes out this week. I will NOT be getting it.

As a Marvel guy, I wasn't going to pick up any of the new DC stuff. I changed my mind and grabbed the titles above. I haven't gotten around to reading Aquaman, Superman, and Dark Knight yet...but of the others, I'm definitely picking up the second issues of Action, Wonder Woman, Batwoman, and Batman.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:06 am 
Sinkhole

As for non-traditional titles, the best thing about the graphic novel book club that I'm in at the local B&N is the variety of books that I get to read. These are titles I either haven't had time to get to, or ones that I may never have thought to pick up in the first place.

Off the top of my head, I'd recommend:
Y, the Last Man
Fables/Jack of Fables/Cinderella
Preacher
American Vampire
Ex Machina
The Unwritten
Chew
Criminal
Daytripper
Blankets
Return of the Dapper Men

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:26 pm 

I didn't realize Swamp Thing was part of the reboot. I'll have to pick that one up.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:28 pm 

Anyone not reading Animal Man and Swamp Thing are doing themselves a terrible disservice.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:43 pm 
Sinkhole

To be fair, I plan on picking up some of the others (like those 2 you mention) as TPB collections once (if?) they hit my local library in a few months.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:11 pm 
Cavity

OdisN wrote:
As for non-traditional titles, the best thing about the graphic novel book club that I'm in at the local B&N is the variety of books that I get to read. These are titles I either haven't had time to get to, or ones that I may never have thought to pick up in the first place.

Off the top of my head, I'd recommend:
Y, the Last Man
Fables/Jack of Fables/Cinderella
Preacher
American Vampire
Ex Machina
The Unwritten
Chew
Criminal
Daytripper
Blankets
Return of the Dapper Men

I tried to read CHEW but couldn't get into it. I had a brief hello with one of the creators a couple of months ago at our local comic books shop. I just haven't gotten into the independent comics yet other then the Army of Darkness series.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:41 pm 

Huh. Three shops now, and all I've been able to find is the Search for Swamp Thing miniseries.

Maybe I'll have to wait for the trade.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:12 pm 

Cru wrote:
Huh. Three shops now, and all I've been able to find is the Search for Swamp Thing miniseries.

Do you need both issues #1 and 2 of the new Swamp Thing? I'll see if they still have any at the shop next week and I'll snag them for you if they do.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:13 am 
Cavity

Noto wrote:
Cru wrote:

Do you need both issues #1 and 2 of the new Swamp Thing? I'll see if they still have any at the shop next week and I'll snag them for you if they do.
I can do the same for you at my local shop if you want. I'll be there tonight with my son. They're having a munny decorating event.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:15 am 

The only comics that ever impressed me were Paul Karasik's "What Happened to Fletcher Hanks?" (at the end of "I shall destroy all the civilized planets!"), Lutes and Bertozzi's "Houdini" and, of course, most things R. Crumb.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:58 am 

Noto wrote:

Yes, I need both. If you could grab them for me that would be amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:15 pm 

Riedenschneider wrote:
The only comics that ever impressed me were Paul Karasik's "What Happened to Fletcher Hanks?" (at the end of "I shall destroy all the civilized planets!"), Lutes and Bertozzi's "Houdini" and, of course, most things R. Crumb.

I Shall Destroy All The Civilized Planets is amazing and all the stories should be adapted to film with NO CHANGES in dialogue or plot.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:17 am 

brian wrote:
I Shall Destroy All The Civilized Planets is amazing and all the stories should be adapted to film with NO CHANGES in dialogue or plot.

That would give me SUCH a boner.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:05 pm 

I stole a copy of I Shall Destroy All The Civilized Planets from the library.