It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:54 am 

There are a handful of comic series that I continue to go back to year after year and read beginning to end. Because of my undying love for all things Hunter S. Thompson, I fell in love with Warren Ellis' Transmetropolitan when I read it for the first time about four years ago. For those that don't know, it's about a journalist in a future version of America. He's retired off to the country to do unlimited drugs and escape everything he hates about the city, but is pulled back in due to a book contract he never fulfilled.

The character is 100% a caricature of HST in both his hedonistic outlook and his drive to get at the truth. He also became famous by writing about the sitting president much the way HST did about Nixon. Eventually, he gets pulled into covering the current presidential election and all hell breaks loose on a number of fronts.

I decided to reread it a week ago and I'm about a third of the way through. It's amazing to me how much Trump and his administration resemble the fictional "outsider" challenger Gary Callahan (aka The Smiler). It's not so much on the campaign side of things but once he takes office. He has the same distain for the people who voted for him while appealing to them that he's not the bad guy.

I'm not saying Ellis is psychic. I'm saying that maybe Trump took Callahan as a role model.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:57 am 
Pollution Baby

And every other horrible evil boss like bad guy in everything ever.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:06 am 
Singularity ∞

I tried reading Transmet once, some years ago, and could not get past the first or second volume. I'm not entirely sure why. It rings a load of bells I like.

The only thing I could think of is that it was too evocative of Robert Anton Wilson's Illuminatus Trilogy, which BLEW MY MIND when I first read it in 1994 (and on several subsequent readings), but which I'm not sure I could revisit now as a 40something.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:07 am 

Shoe wrote:
I tried reading Transmet once, some years ago, and could not get past the first or second volume. I'm not entirely sure why. It rings a load of bells I like.

The only thing I could think of is that it was too evocative of Robert Anton Wilson's Illuminatus Trilogy, which BLEW MY MIND when I first read it in 1994 (and on several subsequent readings), but which I'm not sure I could revisit now as a 40something.

The lead character is an unapologetic rip-off of Hunter Thompson and that was enough to get me through the first ten issues when I read it originally. The thing is, it's not until Year Two and Year Three that it really starts to click. At that point he starts covering the presidential election and the Callahan character is different than Trump in that he's preaching love and inclusion, but once he takes office he begins dismantling things in a very similar fashion to this administration.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:15 pm 

Shoe wrote:

I couldn't make it through 5 issues of it though I love Warran Ellis. Even though I pretty much agree with the politics (at least at the time I tried to read it), it's all delivered in (HERE'S A PHRASE I HAVEN'T HEARD IN YEARS, AND HEARING IT NOW DELIVERS THE EXACT SAME EFFECT AS THE PHRASE ITSELF, BUT I CAN'T THINK OF A BETTER TERM) 1998-era Mountain Dew advertising levels of douche chills.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:57 pm 

JFelix wrote:
1998-era Mountain Dew advertising levels of douche chills.

I can't disagree on a lot of levels. The political intrigue of the story made me a fan. I totally get how it would be hard to look past all the peripheral stuff though. And I love Ellis also, but some of this stuff has just fallen flat for me. When he's on though, he's usually really fucking on.

Planetary, for instance, is fucking amazing!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:50 pm 

You just convinced me to spend money on this via Comixology.

I read through it once, as a thief, many years ago.

Better to support now than never, I suppose.