It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:13 pm 
Black Hole

The Howling had my introduction to anal sex. If I remember correctly.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:56 pm 

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:09 pm 
HMFIC

Reads like what it apparently is: a compilation of a bunch of online message-board analysis of how the Star Wars movies were made, and how George Lucas's conception of the series changed over time (and how he lied about it pretty much constantly).

Not much new information, but interesting nonetheless.

I started reading this after going to the Star Wars - The Power of Costume exhibit at the Detroit Institute of Arts. If that exhibition is coming near you, I'd recommend it. Lots of original costumes from the films. Very cool.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:07 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:05 pm 

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:54 am 

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:47 am 

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:19 pm 
HMFIC

Still on a little Star Wars kick following that costume exhibition. I read this when it came out, when I was in high school, and not since. Reads like competent fan fiction.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:50 am 

Eric wrote:

Still on a little Star Wars kick following that costume exhibition. I read this when it came out, when I was in high school, and not since. Reads like competent fan fiction.

I read it when it first came out also, I found it entertaining enough.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:00 am 

I read a bunch of those Star Wars books back in the day. I drifted away at some point in the late 90's, but the "Thrawn trilogy" was pretty good from what I remember.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:50 pm 
HMFIC

I remember them being good. And they're not bad. I just feel like the seams show more than I was aware of back then. Things like Han's character, which is pretty much defined, at least in the first book, by having him quote lines he spoke in the original three movies. I mean, it keeps him somewhat consistent, but it looks like what it is: recycling.

The same thing happens even with characters invented for the book. Every Thrawn chapter has Thrawn magically coming to some insight into an opponent's personality that has his captain (Pellaeon or something like that) completely stumped, then the good guys somehow manage to win anyway, then Pellaeon expects Thrawn to get murderous like Vader did and is surprised when he doesn't.

It's not bad. I'm halfway through the second book, and so far they're quick, enjoyable reads. But things are a little one-note.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:33 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:39 pm 

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:46 pm 

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:19 pm 
Singularity ∞

Spoiler: show

Fear - Bob Woodward

The surprising thing about this book is not that it reveals heretofore unknown things about the way the Trump White House operates -- much of this is exactly as expected -- but rather, how balanced a portrayal it is.

Trump and others paint this as a barely factual hit piece, but the fact of the matter is, Woodward's look at the Trump administration is far more sympathetic than it's given credit for. Between its images of a mercurial Donald Trump who can't remember, learn, or lead are moments of humanity that offer a contrast to the rough stuff. Donald being moved by images of Syrian children injured in the conflict there, for example; moments like that make it clear Woodward isn't trying to drown us in negative images of Donald Trump, he's trying to paint an accurate portrait of this White House. He let's reality tell the story.

Too bad so much of that involves a man who is flailing and, worse still, has an uneasy relationship with the truth.

All those people who were telling the New York Times anonymous op-ed author that they should just resign instead of trying to play the adult in the room ... nah. When you see the things Trump has tried to do but has been thwarted by those around him, you've got to be glad that there are at least some people there trying to manage his impulses. The man is exactly as expected: a wreck.

An excellent read for anyone who isn't burned out on Trump stuff already.

The Long Sunset - Jack McDevitt

An Earth with an interstellar fleet on the decline intercepts a transmission that appears to have come from an intelligent civilization. Earth's leaders don't want to investigate, but a small crew goes anyway. Once out there, they make major discoveries that will change the future of more than one race.

McDevitt is comfort food sci-fi for me, a modern day Arthur C. Clarke who explores ideas in basic language and pedestrian but highly readable prose. He loves the process of discovery, of learning, and of uncovering new things. Almost all his books have a sense of mystery that propels the reader along, and this one, the sixth or seventh in a loosely connected series, is no different.

I have some niggles. His depiction of a dead alien race lacks imaginations, and some encounters the crew have are a little difficult to believe as far as how they played out. Still, it's McDevitt. As comfort food, it did its job well. I always enjoy his books and this one was no exception.

Blessed Are the Weird: A Manifesto for Creatives - Jacob Nordby

Recommended by a friend. This book is about why creative people feel "different" and isolated, what sets them apart, why creativity is inmportanty, and why we should feel free to pursue it.

I like and relate to a lot about this book, though it also gets a little too precious at times, insisting that creative people are some magic sort of people who operate at a higher level than others.

I don't buy that bullshit. Yes, I'm compelled to create things. It's in my nature, always has been, and I'd sooner lose my life than have that taken away from me. But it's FAR too easy to crawl up your own ass and believe you are some special, gifted, elite kind of person who thinks like no other. This book encourages that way of thinking, and it really bothered me.

The other stuff was good, though. It gets into how important creative people have been throughout history, what drives us to create, why we should see value in it, and more. It hit home in a lot of ways.

It's just a bit full of itself at times.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:20 pm 

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:09 pm 

Finished yesterday:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:50 am 

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:40 pm 

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:51 pm 

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:19 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:49 pm 

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:57 pm 

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:33 pm 
HMFIC

A friend of mine who works at the high school I attended took one of her old favorite books out of the school library and found my name on the library card, from back in 1987 or so when they still used stamped library cards. She posted a photo on Facebook, and that caused me to revisit the book, which I barely remembered and probably hadn't read in 30 years.

Anybody else have fond memories of Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain? That I remember, but this isn't that. More historical fiction (just set in countries that didn't historically exist) than fantasy, which is how it's shelved, it reads like the author was making sure his characters did what he wanted them to do instead of what they themselves would have wanted. I suspect my friend's opinion was based on the uncritical way we read when young and the fact that those impressions tend to stick with us.

I'm about halfway through the sequel, because I'm no quitter, but I sort of see why this didn't stick with me. Planning to revisit the Chronicles of Prydain afterward, though, and I'm sort of dreading it. I have very fond memories of that series, but I really thought Alexander was a better writer than he seems to be here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:16 pm 
Singularity ∞

Prydain is still wonderful -- I've re-read them as an adult, twice -- but you have to take them for what they are: children's books. The first three are simple and fun and a bit quaint now, with a similar kind of outdated charm as Narnia, sans the religious stuff and moralizing. The fourth takes a turn for the mature in its themes, and the final one is epic and quite good.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:49 am 
HMFIC

I've re-read and enjoyed Narnia, so I should be good. Plus, Prydain has the advantage of nostalgia.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:07 pm 

Parker's back, baby!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:30 pm 

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:51 pm 

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:10 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:15 am 

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:53 pm 

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:22 am 

Read Bob Woodward's Fear while on vacation in the Caribbean. Very measured as Shoe said, and nothing that sounds unbelievable. It's a hard look at this current administration, and its so very sad.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:49 am 
HMFIC

Shoe wrote:
Prydain is still wonderful -- I've re-read them as an adult, twice -- but you have to take them for what they are: children's books. The first three are simple and fun and a bit quaint now, with a similar kind of outdated charm as Narnia, sans the religious stuff and moralizing. The fourth takes a turn for the mature in its themes, and the final one is epic and quite good.

So I continued with the Westmark series and read the second one, The Kestrel. Started to read The Beggar Queen, the third, then realized that the bootleg ebooks I'd downloaded had mistakenly put the second book (the first part of which is called "The Beggar Queen") in again in place of the third. So I'll finish it, but I'll have to hunt it down on paper.

Pivoted instead to Prydain:

Read through this one.

On the last chapter of this one, and likely to finish today.

Shoe, you were right. These were as good as I remember (though I read them so long ago that I don't remember much except liking them). The same sort of stagey dialogue that doesn't work for me in the Westmark books seems perfectly at home in the more fantastical setting here. I'm probably going to finish this series before going back to the other.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:38 am 

I bought the 3-volume version of this instead of the 1600 page meganovel version. I've just finished volume 1 and it's fantastic! I've been a big fan of Murakami for a long time, my two favorites being Kafka on the Shore and Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World. This seems to be headed in a similar vein to both in that you have elements of horror, alternate realities, magical realism, etc., but he introduces them slowly and gives them to you like an IV drip. By the time something actually horrific happens, you're totally bought in and along for the ride.

Will be starting Vol. 2 tonight.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next