It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: IT'S ART, BITCH!!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:23 pm 

So I've been seeing some awesome poster art from JFelix through Instagram and Facebook. We should have a thread about that! There are some fantastic poster/paintings that I've seen at Kimfair's place also. So post some pictures of your favorites.

I pulled the trigger on this beauty from Flynn Prejean (founder of BadMoon Studios) this weekend. It's the first time he's done a series of monster movie related posters.

It's signed and numbered and will be coming my way next week. He only had the proof available at the show.

Kimfair - he's done a gorgeous version of The Phantom of the Opera as well. You can get it through the Chaney Entertainment website.

Post subject: Re: IT'S ART, BITCH!!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:16 pm 
Pollution Baby

Attachment:
The Thing (Red) by Fro.jpg
The Thing (Red) by Fro.jpg [ 292.96 KiB | Viewed 5933 times ]

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:17 pm 

Not exactly a movie poster, but I just bought this sketch from an artist I follow on Facebook:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:42 pm 

Nice!

I was never a T-Shirt guy so I used to buy vinyl at live shows, but you can pretty much buy vinyl anywhere in Portland so I switched to limited edition prints a lot of my favorite bands do. They're usually designed for the specific show you're seeing, hand-screened, individually numbered and reasonably priced (usually around $40 a pop). And if worse comes to worse, the resale market is bonkers. Some of these go up on eBay for $800.

First one I picked up. I remember my friend running up to me saying "There's a poster at the merch table that's absolutely bonkers. $40" and my reaction was "What poster is worth forty dollars?!" Bitch, this one.

This one's from the day Ween played The Mollusk front-to-back. I had a bad eye disease and earlier in the day fell off a friend's porch and scraped up my leg, leaving permanent scarring. Then Ween pulled out The Mollusk in full and I lost my mind when they played Pink Eye (on My Leg). Spooky shit.

Insert from Waxwork's Creepshow LP.

IMAX Blade Runner poster. Birthday gift. Good gift.

My friends and I got together, did a bunch of acid and sat in a circle painting while a friend's band jammed around us. I did this hoping to give it to a friend as a Secret Satan (not Santa) gift, but my person got switched at the last moment and it didn't feel right to hand it to someone else so I kept it.

This one's hanging in my bathroom. A print from Eraserhead soundtrack reissue.

Print from the Chopping Mall soundtrack.

This is one of my most prized possessions: I found this on the side of the road walking back from WalMart stoned. I have so many questions, But I desire no answer. Who would throw this out?! On the side of the road?!

As much as I enjoy weed, I think Marijuana culture is the worst thing on the face of the earth. Except for Sleep posters. I'm bummed out that Ween at Red Rocks is out, but at least that means I get to see Sleep in Portland again.

Here are the rest that still need discount WalMart frames:

Won tickets to see this show thanks to the A.V. Club. Thanks, A.V. Club!

There were actually three posters but I ended up giving the first night's to a buddy who couldn't make the shows at the last moment.

Super nerd shit: Went to a anniversary panel on Home Movies and ended up with autographs. H. Jon Benjamin did not bother to attend despite being billed.

ImageImage
Two nights in SF. I really should put these up. I freaked out the first time I saw it because Emek put The Residents smack dab on the posters. With giant ejaculating cocks. It's like all of my favorite things on one poster!

Last one! You put kitties on your poster, I buy your poster. It's pretty simple.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:50 am 

All of these are fucking great! I'll post some shit later on. Cary - that Chaney poster is unbelievable! I may have to get one, even though I have hardly any wall space left!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:20 am 

JFelix - I'm digging ALL of those Ween posters. I especially like the stoned gorilla, Las Vegas and the Grateful Dead ripoff (That show was on my birthday!).

I've got a few more Creature related posters at home that I'll post up and some concert posters from my office at work.

Ericubus - That poster of The Thing is one that I've eyed a few times. I love that.

CK - If you've got more sketches like that I'd love to see them. It's one of my favorite things about going to these conventions.

EDIT: JFelix - That drawing you found on the side of the road may be my favorite of the bunch. Seriously. Turkey and bacon bestowed upon someone by a supernatural being seems like the kind of thing a plausible religion could be built around.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:14 am 

Kimfair wrote:
Cary - that Chaney poster is unbelievable! I may have to get one, even though I have hardly any wall space left!

His detail and the colors on that and the Creature one are amazing. He also did a Wolfman and a Bride of Frankenstein. The Bride is available through his shop. Both are great as far as detail but the colors don't strike me like these two do.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:33 am 

caryc wrote:
CK - If you've got more sketches like that I'd love to see them. It's one of my favorite things about going to these conventions.

I have a few, but my daughter liberated most of them from me - the dude is ridiculously good...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:57 am 

Fuck, he's really good.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:33 pm 

Wow! I love the one of The Iron Giant laying down.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:48 pm 
Black Hole

LOVE!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:32 pm 

Dude, we need to get some Pender art up in here!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:48 pm 
Pollution Baby

Please, he has nothing on my mad crayon skills....

Attachment:
File comment: A retrospect at Friendlys in crayon
20180419_132948.jpg
20180419_132948.jpg [ 1.34 MiB | Viewed 5891 times ]

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:49 pm 

My two vintage Circus posters. 1950-60's.

Pee Wee Herman on Broadway poster, bought when we saw the show.

A nice little signed digital print we bought from a local artist. We call him Cat Butcher.

My birthday present to myself last year. Cash In London '66 by Jon Langford an Artists Proof from 2006.

I've got more, but that will do for now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:09 pm 

I don't remember seeing the Cat Butcher one. That's pretty damn cool!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:28 pm 

Kimfair wrote:
My two vintage Circus posters. 1950-60's.

Hella jealous of these frames. I've had this Residents poster since 2006 that's completely beaten up because I never had the cash to professionally frame it:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:52 pm 

All I have are a bunch of Scream Factory posters in cheap-o Walmart frames. Plus the Jaws poster in a nicer frame that my brother gave me for Christmas a few years back.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:29 pm 

A lot of my soundtrack reissues come with posters, but they're folded instead of rolled up so I feel weird about framing them. I'd love to put this one that came with the Ms. 45 soundtrack up on my wall, though:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:02 pm 
Pollution Baby

That's awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:04 pm 

It's pretty and all but dang, I wish it was the full image from the packaging:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:19 pm 

This looms over my head in my office...it's about 4 feet wide, and is a reprint of the double LP cover (minus the reflections!):

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:52 pm 
Pollution Baby

JFelix wrote:
It's pretty and all but dang, I wish it was the full image from the packaging:

Ya, I looked it up further, the whole piece is great. I looked up the artist too, Alice X Zhang. Honestly a lot of her stuff is hit or miss, with many done in the same one style, but some are really good. I can't find a full version of the Ms. 45 drawing though.

Some other ones I liked...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:35 pm 

The concert posters in my office at work are sitting in a corner now because they recently remodeled everything. I've posted these up before. Sorry about the reflections but you get the idea.

This hangs over my desk right above my phone... for obvious reasons.

This one has two of my favorite bands playing on the same bill. The artwork isn't the greatest but they only did this handful of shows together.

I like Supergrass, but not as much as I love this poster. I just really liked the weird sci-fi vibe of it.

This GBV Einstein piece is a handbill. It's my favorite of the ones in my office at work.

The Donnas were the bomb! That's something that Surf and I both agreed on. This is easily my second favorite in my office at work. I like how the metallics in the inks pop in the right light.

That's it for my work space. I'll post some pics of the ones at my home office later. I've got a handful that aren't framed yet including one that's actually 3D.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:30 pm 

caryc wrote:

Emek! He's the one that did those San Francisco Ween posters. He does a lot of really awesome stuff: https://emek.net/rock/a.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:06 am 

JFelix wrote:

Hella jealous of these frames. I've had this Residents poster since 2006 that's completely beaten up because I never had the cash to professionally frame it:

Yeah, framing is awesome, but it's fucking expensive. The circus posters are big, maybe 18 inches wide and 3 1/2-4 feet tall. We dropped some serious coin at the frame shop that day. My framer is really cool, though. Since she's framed almost everything in the house, she routinely gives me 20% off, and another 10 % off if I pay with a check, so she has no credit card fees.

That Residents poster is fucking boss!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:08 am 

caryc wrote:
I don't remember seeing the Cat Butcher one. That's pretty damn cool!

It's on that sliver of wall between the dining room and the second bedroom (computer room). It's only about 4 x 6 inches in size.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:24 am 

A fantasy animation cel of Scooby and Shaggy done by Ned Sonntag who drew Betty Boop for years.

Ned also did this original drawing for a t-shirt that was to commemorate the Art of Charity, a Cape Cod based charity that Manphibian runs. I have a t-shirt somewhere as well.

This painting was on one of the big dig's air vent tunnels for a while. There have been a lot of paintings done there, but this first one is still the best, by Brazilian street artists, Os Gemeos.

Beware of Children Lobby Card/Marihuana El Tabaco Del Negro Mexican lobby card/Black Zoo lobby card

Stumbling Christmas poster signed and numbered (100 copies) by artist Edward Gorey

Photo of Robert Fripp taken by my college roommate, just as he was getting dressed down by Mr Fripp for taking the photograph.

Cigarette painting I bought in Quebec. The price on the back is one bottle of Seagram's Seven, One carton of Players Plain cigarettes, or $30.

The least Disney poster ever bought at Disney. It was for promotional materials for Alice In Wonderland.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:36 pm 

That Robert Fripp picture is so cool! I love the story behind it.

JFelix - That Residents poster is amazing. I really love the colors in that one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:56 pm 

Here's some more from the home office. Most of these aren't framed yet. I've been dragging my feet on them because my wife has a really killer idea to turn my home office into something that looks like Trader Sam's from The Jungle Cruise. I like that idea a lot and since I have a bunch of Gill-man stuff and may own an alligator skull or two, it makes sense, but I also have some concert posters and other horror stuff that I want to display, so the effect is not going to be as complete as she'd like.

I bought this first one at WonderCon a few years ago. I loved that it was a monster mashup and also that the artist made it look old and beaten up. The pinholes, coffee stains, etc. are all part of the painting.

The other thing holding me back from framing is that part of this Trader Sam's idea is that none of the frames should match and they shouldn't be normal. This image is one of the first we got framed. I've always loved this piece because at heart, The Creature From The Black Lagoon is basically Beauty and The Beast only with a few deaths here and there.

This one is the last of my Black Lagoon posters for now. If it looks fuzzy, that's because it's actually a 3-D image. If you put on the anaglyph glasses, it pops out at you. The gold signature up the side of the Gill-Man's body is Ricou Browning's autograph. He played the Gill-Man in all of the underwater scenes in all three Creature movies.

Now, on to the concert posters. This was a birthday gift from my friend Will who knows the guitar player in Drivin' n' Cryin'.

And this one is my favorite of all of them. Wes Freed does all of the artwork for the Drive-By Truckers' albums. He did a handful of posters for a series of gigs they played the year before their breakthrough album Southern Rock Opera was released. He literally only did five for each show. My wife and I had flown out to Athens to visit my parents and timed it so we could see one of the shows at Tasty World. I was friends with Jenn Bryant, their webmaster, and I knew the band casually but it wasn't like we were hanging out or anything. After the gig, Jenn handed me this poster. She'd had it signed by the entire band and Wes himself (who was in the band The Shiners). She said it was because up to that point, we held the record for fans who'd traveled the farthest to see a show.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:40 am 

Nice! Love all the Creature art.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:10 am 
HMFIC

The stuff you guys have on your walls is a lot more pop-culture-oriented than the stuff on mine, but here you go:

Attachment:
20180421_084343.jpg
20180421_084343.jpg [ 349.96 KiB | Viewed 5822 times ]

A poster from a CD-release party for a band I used to play in. I drew it, but I copied it from an old Byrds concert poster.

Attachment:
20180421_084358.jpg
20180421_084358.jpg [ 301.32 KiB | Viewed 5822 times ]

A poster for a RSC play the OB&C saw when she was at Oxford.

Attachment:
20180421_084428.jpg
20180421_084428.jpg [ 323.42 KiB | Viewed 5822 times ]

A gravestone rubbing, also from when the OB&C was going to school in England.

Attachment:
20180421_084452.jpg
20180421_084452.jpg [ 283.11 KiB | Viewed 5822 times ]

A print by a (unknown, probably dead) local artist that we bought at an estate sale.

Attachment:
20180421_084517.jpg
20180421_084517.jpg [ 286.3 KiB | Viewed 5822 times ]

Attachment:
20180421_084533.jpg
20180421_084533.jpg [ 152.04 KiB | Viewed 5822 times ]

A bunch of prints the OB&C bought when she was in Alaska.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:13 am 
HMFIC

Attachment:
20180421_084615.jpg
20180421_084615.jpg [ 223.3 KiB | Viewed 5822 times ]

A print we bought in Venice.

Attachment:
20180421_084628.jpg
20180421_084628.jpg [ 292.7 KiB | Viewed 5822 times ]

Wedding present, also of Venice.

Attachment:
20180421_084709.jpg
20180421_084709.jpg [ 324.08 KiB | Viewed 5822 times ]

Poster by the OB&C's cousin, hanging in my son's room.

Attachment:
20180421_084751.jpg
20180421_084751.jpg [ 241.27 KiB | Viewed 5822 times ]

One of the (original?) old sail numbers from the OB&C's grandfather's boat.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:32 am 

I like the sail number. Anything with history like that grabs my attention. I'm also a fan of the Alaskan tribal art. I have a close friend who was born and raised there and has a lot of that art in and around her house here in SoCal.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:49 pm 
Black Hole

Quote:
A print by a (unknown, probably dead) local artist that we bought at an estate sale.

This one looks like a Ralph Bakshi and I like that.

8-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:32 pm 
HMFIC

The Bakshi-esque print is titled "Space Plante."