It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:26 pm 

John Carter wrote:
There is one problem that all nooks have that you may have not noticed. When the nook goes into sleep mode and then is woken back up by the user the sound ceases to work.

That's interesting. I haven't noticed that but I haven't used my Nook for anything but reading (and doing crosswords). Hopefully they fix that soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:43 pm 

Shoe wrote:
I want to know about comics on the Nook, too. I especially want to know if the Nook works with homebrew apps, because if it can get CBR/CBZ functionality I'd get one right away.

... yeah. Me too. Probably.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:27 pm 

Oh, and for the record, the only non-Nook book I've read since the first of December is book one of Tomie... which Brian gave me for Christmas. It's twisted and awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:18 pm 
HMFIC

Hmm. Reading comics is not a major concern for me, thought it sounds like an iPad or a similar device would be the only real way to do that at a comfortable size. And for text, I like the display on the Kindle better, I think, that what I'd see on the Nook. Still satisfied with my choice.

But I would like to see some photos, if you get the chance.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:48 pm 

My grandmother got a new Kindle for Christmas so she gave me her first generation Kindle. I can see it's not as nice as the newest model, but it works well and I've enjoyed reading on it every day since I got it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:05 pm 

Hey Eric - Here's the best I could get. The camera kept blurring things but these three are pretty accurate for color, etc. Remember there is an anti-glare screen cover on this so actually these are little less bright than on a Nook right out of the box.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:12 pm 
HMFIC

That's on how big of a screen? I just googled it and got six inches; is that six inches diagonally, like a TV? Or is that out of date? On a 6" diagonal screen, that seems like it might be a bit small.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:01 am 

The NookColor is seven inches diagonally (I just measured). I've been using "Nook" in my descriptions when I should be saying "NookColor". That one is slightly bigger than the black and white model. You can also blow the pages up just by tapping the screen. It's very easy to do, but then you need to turn the unit horizontally and scroll from the top of the page to the bottom as you read.

You'd probably be better off with an iPad or something though, especially if you're having trouble with your eyesight as you get older.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:01 am 

Those pages look great I may have to give this a shot on mine. Are you still using the standard memory or have you upgraded to an SD card?

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:38 am 
HMFIC

caryc wrote:
You'd probably be better off with an iPad or something though, especially if you're having trouble with your eyesight as you get older.

Hey, I'm not Surf here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:39 am 
Black Hole

That doesn't seem too bad. I've read some digest-sized comics and they work just fine.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:33 am 

Eric wrote:
caryc wrote:

Hey, I'm not Surf here.

:)

John Carter wrote:
Those pages look great I may have to give this a shot on mine. Are you still using the standard memory or have you upgraded to an SD card?

I'm still using the standard memory and I'm not even close to filling it up. That said, I don't have all the comics I own loaded. I've been loading about 20 issues of each series as I decide to check them out. Once I decide I like it, I load everything on there. Even so though, I've currently got all the 100 Bullets issues, about 150 issues or more of various other comics and close to 150 books and short stories and I've got at least 1/3 of the main memory still free.

I honestly haven't even touched the other functions on here aside from the games and checking my e-mail once just to see how it worked. Have you been playing around with Pandora at all?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:47 am 

caryc wrote:

I honestly haven't even touched the other functions on here aside from the games and checking my e-mail once just to see how it worked. Have you been playing around with Pandora at all?

A little it's ok but I mostly bought this as something to read with so I don't see myself really ever using Pandora. Not to mention it seriously drains the battery.

There is an app builder that you can download from B&N site, I think Surf may have asked about this earlier.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:18 pm 

I downloaded The Complete Calvin and Hobbes to my nook color and it looks great.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:36 am 
Black Hole

Shoe wrote:
Shoe Jr. got a Kindle for Christmas. I was pretty impressed with it and would definitely consider one if I could justify it.

I ended up getting one the following Christmas. So, a little over a year and a half ago.

Never thought I'd become a convert so quickly, but I almost exclusively read by Kindle now. Of the 50ish books I've read since getting it, I think all but 2 or 3 have been on the Kindle. I take it with me almost everywhere. I absolutely love the thing. I've downloaded books I already own just so I can read them on Kindle instead.

I just have the bare bones, for-text-only model. It was something ridiculous like $70 or something. Utter bargain.

I'm considering upgrading to a Fire so I can begin reading comics on it. I have probably 10k or more digital comics, but reading on the laptop is inconvenient. A smaller, portable reading device for them would be awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:03 am 

My wife used to read one book every few months or so. Since I got her a tablet for Christmas last year, she's reading almost every day. It's the sheer convenience. Personally, I find them a bit heavy (I'm talking about the full fledged tablets, like the Fire, Nexus, iPad, etc.), so I'm holding off until newer battery/screen technology reduces the weight.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:30 am 
Black Hole

I'd definitely have to test drive one before getting the upgraded model. Mine is super lightweight and thin. Even with a heavy duty protective case, I can slip it into the back pocket of my jeans. It's no thicker than a Time magazine, too. Since there is no color and no backlit screen, the battery lasts for AGES.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:21 pm 

If you do decide on upgrading to a tablet, don't get a Kindle Fire. Get a Nexus 7 from Google. You'll like it a lot more. Same features, actually better features, and a lot better interface, for roughly the same price.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:33 pm 

7" tablets are too small for comic books. You'll be moving left to right constantly. Or squinting.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:40 am 
Black Hole

Why couldn't you just flip it horizontally so that you get a wider view? Then you only need to scroll down.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:52 am 

Shoe wrote:
Why couldn't you just flip it horizontally so that you get a wider view? Then you only need to scroll down.

Some graphic novels/comics treat an entire page like a canvas. A 9" tablet allows you to view an entire 8x11 page, without squinting or scrolling, thus approximating the real thing. Once you try it, you won't like the smaller tablets for reading larger-size books/comics. Hey, and then there's Sony 21" tablet, that lets you see two pages side-by-side.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:42 am 

Chris Knight wrote:
Shoe wrote:

Some graphic novels/comics treat an entire page like a canvas. A 9" tablet allows you to view an entire 8x11 page, without squinting or scrolling, thus approximating the real thing. Once you try it, you won't like the smaller tablets for reading larger-size books/comics. Hey, and then there's Sony 21" tablet, that lets you see two pages side-by-side.

As someone who reads all comics on a NookColor, I'll agree with Chris that seeing the full page is essential. When my Nook finally dies, I'll be getting a 9" tablet for sure. While it's true you can flip the page horizontally or enlarge the image, it ruins the flow of reading the book. Two page spreads are also annoying but doubly so when you have to scroll back and forth on one page and then back and forth on the other when it's meant to be read as one giant "canvas" (to use Chris' term).

If one of the main reasons you're going to buy is comics, don't skimp on size.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:40 am 
Black Hole

You are both fools and infidels!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:25 am 
Black Hole

How is the browser on the Fire? Wondering if it's a good option for late night reading of long Internet articles. I like in-depth web content, but don't want to be sitting in front of my computer to read it. Would much rather be laying on the couch or in bed.

I supposed I could just borrow Shoe Jr.'s to see ...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:11 am 

Amazon's Silk browser is based on Webkit. Given that, it'll perform about as badly as Safari - meaning it will hang/crash on sites that use any sort of complex coding. At its best, it's still a very slow browser.

You can sideload Chrome onto a kindle, but it's not a super easy thing to do (and you probably won't be able to sync it to your desktop/laptop/phone).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:31 am 
HMFIC

Video's answer sounds hypothetical. I can confirm it from experience. The OB&C bought a Kindle Fire as a cheap tablet, and most of the time she's using it, I'm watching TV and listening to her swear about it. She regrets the decision.

The vanilla Kindle, on the other hand, remains a satisfactory purchase. Though now that they've got backlit ones, I'm hoping for mine to die.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:13 am 
Sinkhole

I bought the newest one (the HDX) this past Christmas to replace my original one from 2011. I've never had a problem with the browser crashing, and it even plays videos now (which the first Fire never could do).

And that screen is just crystal-damned clear.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:57 am 

Still love my Nook.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:50 pm 

I don't know why anyone would want a Kindle Fire, which is built on a bastardized version of Android, when for the same price they can own a Google Nexus 7, which is built on the newest, cleanest version of Android.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:09 pm 
HMFIC

In the OB&C's case, the answer would be "familiarity." Though as I said, she's regretting it.