It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Steam
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:01 am 
Pollution Baby

New Steam-Powered gaming box available.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:30 am 
Black Hole

Ericubus wrote:

This seems...

oddly familiar.

:unsure:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:08 am 

That controller is pretty cool...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:29 am 
Singularity ∞

The whole notion of the Steam Box baffles me. If it's not meant to have a standard configuration as far as specs go, what's the fucking point? It's just a PC with a Steam OS and HDMI outs otherwise, and that's a big "who the fuck cares?" At that point it's better to just get a PC.

And yes, I know that particular Steam Box is an April Fool's gag.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:34 am 

Shoe wrote:
The whole notion of the Steam Box baffles me. If it's not meant to have a standard configuration as far as specs go, what's the fucking point? It's just a PC with a Steam OS and HDMI outs otherwise, and that's a big "who the fuck cares?" At that point it's better to just get a PC.

Which is why I'm baffled that people bought a PS4/Xbox One - since they are just PCs, running a proprietary OS.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:37 am 
Singularity ∞

Chris Knight wrote:
Shoe wrote:

Which is why I'm baffled that people bought a PS4/Xbox One - since they are just PCs, running a proprietary OS.

Stop being silly.

Look:

"If it's not meant to have a standard configuration as far as specs go"

But you know that already. :roll:

EDIT: Sorry, I toned that down. It came across as needlessly aggressive when I didn't intend to be that way.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:44 am 
Black Hole

There are no maybes.

Zero through nine, man.

That's it.

I'm just scurrying claws on ocean floors.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:59 am 
Singularity ∞

Steam now requires you to spend money in the Steam store in order to get access to all the features that were once just part of the package. If you haven't spent money with them you can't send friend invites, no starting group chat, take part in some discussions, and more.

Can you imagine the furor if EA implemented this policy? Thousands of backs would be covered in semen from the furious circlejerk that would ensue.

The move is supposedly to prevent SPAM, so that's nice and all, I guess, but still. Lord Gaben & Co. once again get a pass -- this has received wide praise -- for something that would spark outrage if done by anyone else.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:59 am 

Shoe wrote:
Steam now requires you to spend money in the Steam store in order to get access to all the features that were once just part of the package. If you haven't spent money with them you can't send friend invites, no starting group chat, take part in some discussions, and more.

Can you imagine the furor if EA implemented this policy? Thousands of backs would be covered in semen from the furious circlejerk that would ensue.

The move is supposedly to prevent SPAM, so that's nice and all, I guess, but still. Lord Gaben & Co. once again get a pass -- this has received wide praise -- for something that would spark outrage if done by anyone else.

Shoe, you've been a gamer long enough to know that no one likes "newbs"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:02 pm 

Shoe, I get the feeling you read a lot of videogame blogs or forums. Is this the case? You're in tune with the gamer culture.

If there's a snowball's chance in hell you're in Wisconsin in April, go to Midwest Gaming Classic. Though it's less modern gaming and more retro. But new things become retro every year.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:10 pm 

Well, this is only a concern for the users that play DOTA. Other than that, the only reason you would use Steam, is because you actually bought a game. Although, it appears if you didn't buy the game directly from Steam (ie. a reseller), it doesn't count...that does sort of actually suck for noobs. But I can't imagine anyone should complain about having to spend $5 on Steam, given how likely it is that you'll spend a lot more during the semi-annual sales.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:42 pm 
Singularity ∞

Chris Knight wrote:
Although, it appears if you didn't buy the game directly from Steam (ie. a reseller), it doesn't count....

Humble Bundle, Amazon sales, etc., as best as I can tell none of that stuff counts. Neither do gifted games. So for example, for the first few years Shoe Jr. used Steam he would have been SOL, because he played free games or the games I bought for him. It's only recently that he's been buying games on his own.

Anyway, I'm not outraged by the policy or anything. It's not dissimilar to, say, having to pony up to get all the features of an Xbox account. Just noting the reaction to this news.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:09 pm 
Singularity ∞

brian wrote:
Shoe, I get the feeling you read a lot of videogame blogs or forums. Is this the case?

I used to. Not really anymore. I just don't like much of today's gamer culture. I think maybe I'm just too old for it or something.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:23 pm 

paid mods...ha, well that didn't last very long.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:28 pm 
Canyon

Amnesia: The Dark Descent -- FREE!!! until 10am tomorrow. You're an asshole if you don't jump on that. Simply one of the most terrifying games of all time.

In the meantime, Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs is $3.99 until tomorrow (almost as good). And Penumbra is $1.99 until then as well.

All of those titles are from the same developer, BTW -- Frictional Games.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:15 pm 

And don't forget SOMA comes out next week (clearly the reason this sale is happening).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:06 am 
Singularity ∞

Downhuman wrote:
Amnesia: The Dark Descent -- FREE!!! until 10am tomorrow. You're an asshole if you don't jump on that. Simply one of the most terrifying games of all time.

One of the best horror games I've ever played. I LOVED it.

A Machine for Pigs, on the other hand, bored me. I quit a few hours into it, after your second encounter with one of the "creatures."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:29 am 
Pollution Baby

Shoe wrote:
Downhuman wrote:

One of the best horror games I've ever played. I LOVED it.
Grabbed it last night, haven't played it yet.

I played a little bit of Half-Life 2 instead.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:43 am 
Canyon

Shoe wrote:
A Machine for Pigs, on the other hand, bored me. I quit a few hours into it, after your second encounter with one of the "creatures."

You should give it another shot. It does pick up quite a bit -- especially in the late parts of the game. While Dark Descent is definitely scarier, Pigs has the better story I think. It works more on slowly building dread than the visceral frights of the previous game.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:02 pm 
Singularity ∞

It wasn't that it wasn't visceral as much as that the game didn't really give you any choices to make. I felt like I was on rails for the majority of the time I played. No real puzzles, very little to do or figure out. You were just touring the world.

It was a well done world, no doubt, and the story unfolded with a Lovecraftian deliberateness, but I wanted to DO something while experiencing the game.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:05 pm 
Canyon

Shoe wrote:
It wasn't that it wasn't visceral as much as that the game didn't really give you any choices to make. I felt like I was on rails for the majority of the time I played. No real puzzles, very little to do or figure out. You were just touring the world.

It was a well done world, no doubt, and the story unfolded with a Lovecraftian deliberateness, but I wanted to DO something while experiencing the game.

There are some puzzles later in the game -- especially when you get to the "machine". I will admit that you're on rails for most of it. I was too caught up in the story to care, though. It is a shorter game than Descent if that helps. The one thing I don't lament is the loss of the inventory management from the first game.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:30 pm 

Bunch of free Sega games on Steam today (old Dreamcast and Genesis stuff). Just click the Make War Not Love pic on the main page to grab them. Now excuse me while I go play some Jet Set Radio.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:10 am 
Singularity ∞

Thanks for that heads up. Jumped right on it. Coupla gems in there.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:16 am 
Singularity ∞

Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault is free on Origin right now.

If you dig WWII shooters, grab it. Good game.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:25 pm 
Canyon

In honor of "Alien Day" (whatever), Alien: Isolation is on sale for $12.49 and you can get it with all the DLC for $14.99

That's a pretty massive deal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8