It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Steam
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:39 am 
Canyon

Figured I'd start a thread posting some of the deals Steam has from time to time. Right now they're having a ridiculous sale for Halloween. All of these games are on sale for 10 dollars and under each:

Dead Space (finally picked this up)
Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 both together for $14.99
Team Fortress 2
Devil May Cry 4
both S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games for $9.99
Bioshock
Resident Evil 5
Ghostbusters: The Videogame
Aliens Vs. Predator

I know PC gaming is all but dead but if you have a decent PC, Steam is a no-brainer. Deals like these are difficult to pass up and most times the games run as good if not better than their console versions (again dependent on your PC). Enjoy.

Post subject: Re: Steam
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:56 am 
Singularity ∞

That deal on the STALKER games is pretty sick. I played the first and it was pretty hardcore. Fans of the new Fallout games would probably like it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:57 am 
Cavity

Location: Lying shipwrecked and comatose, Drinking fresh mango juice. Goldfish shoals nibbling at my toes.....
I typically only play games that is available on Steam, only exception being SC2. I love that I can install a new PC, log into my Steam account and ask it to download all my games.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:04 pm 
Singularity ∞

I'm not much of a PC Gamer anymore -- it has everything to do with wanting to get away from the computer when I relax and nothing to do with the games, since I tend to prefer PC-style gaming -- but it's hard to resist deals like that, and Steam makes it very easy to grab this stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:53 pm 
Canyon

Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY edition is $10.20 right now. There's a bunch of other games but I'm too lazy to list them (none of the others really jump out at me, either).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:14 pm 
Canyon

Steam is at it again,

Yesterday I picked up The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena and the Serious Sam HD collection for $4.99 and $3.99 respectively. Today I got Dead Space 2 for $4.99 -- I'll finally be able to finish this now without worrying about traumatizing my 3 year-old son.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:34 am 
Singularity ∞

Downhuman wrote:
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY edition is $10.20 right now. There's a bunch of other games but I'm too lazy to list them (none of the others really jump out at me, either).

Shit, I have to see if that price still applies. That's a great deal.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:51 pm 

Downhuman wrote:
Steam is at it again,

Yesterday I picked up The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena and the Serious Sam HD collection for $4.99 and $3.99 respectively. Today I got Dead Space 2 for $4.99 -- I'll finally be able to finish this now without worrying about traumatizing my 3 year-old son.

I had to stop because of other games coming out but I'm in the middle of Assault on Dark Athena on the xbox, playing both the Riddick games and they are just awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:31 pm 
Canyon

Shoe wrote:
Downhuman wrote:

Shit, I have to see if that price still applies. That's a great deal.

That was almost a year ago. It's $19.99.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:48 pm 
Canyon

I missed reporting the Fall Steam Sale (which was fucking bonkers as usual) but Steam is having a sale right now in honor of releasing it's new Big Picture mode. Big Picture mode is an optional interface for the Steam client that is more console-like and controller friendly. Which is great for someone like me who is currently putting together a Win 7 powered HTPC. It's also a precursor to the eventual "Steam Box" PC/console that's been rumored for the last couple of years. So, right now, Steam has some pretty awesome sales on PC games that have full-controller support (even if most of those games do control better with a keyboard and mouse). I've played quite a few PC games with an Xbox 360 controller -- it's really nice. With cloud-saving becoming more available on Steam, it's going to be really cool to be able to play on my couch on an HTPC with a big screen and full-blown surround sound and then be able to pick up my game later on another PC in the house.

Anyway, I was able to finally get both Left 4 Dead games for $4.99 a piece.

Other notables:

Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved -- $1.00 (nabbed this as well even though I already own it on XBL)
Braid -- $2.50
Portal 2 -- $4.99
Super Meat Boy -- $7.49
Shank 2 -- $3.39
Deadlight -- $10.04
Wizorb -- $0.74
Limbo -- $2.49
Alan Wake -- $7.50
Alan Wake's American Nightmare -- $3.75
Bit.Trip.Runner -- $3.33
Castle Crashers -- $5.09
Serious Sam 3 -- $9.99

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:39 pm 
Singularity ∞

Downhuman wrote:
Anyway, I was able to finally get both Left 4 Dead games for $4.99 a piece.

Nice!
Quote:
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved -- $1.00 (nabbed this as well even though I already own it on XBL)

Classic! I played this a gazillion times.
Quote:
Braid -- $2.50

Good game if you like platformers.
Quote:
Portal 2 -- $4.99

Superb, funny, great environments. I do with the puzzles were as challenging as the first one, though.
Quote:
Alan Wake -- $7.50

So much missed potential. It's fine for what it is, but what it was SUPPOSED to be was going to be awesome. I'd pay $4.99 for it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:43 pm 
Canyon

Steam Holiday sale is going on now. Picked up Doom 3 BFG edition for $14.99.

Right now they have the Prince of Persia franchise on sale for $2.49! That's 5 massive games -- The Sands of Time, Warrior Within, The Two Thrones, Prince of Persia (2008), and The Forgotten Sands. If you've never played any of those games, you're just an asshole for not picking this up at less than 3 bucks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:14 pm 
Singularity ∞

Downhuman wrote:
Right now they have the Prince of Persia franchise on sale for $2.49! That's 5 massive games -- The Sands of Time, Warrior Within, The Two Thrones, Prince of Persia (2008), and The Forgotten Sands. If you've never played any of those games, you're just an asshole for not picking this up at less than 3 bucks.

Holy. Shit.

That would be worth it for Sands of Time alone, which is one of the greatest platformers EVER. The others are all over the map, but for FIVE games? Damn!

I'm buying it. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:22 pm 
Canyon

Shoe wrote:
That would be worth it for Sands of Time alone, which is one of the greatest platformers EVER.

My thoughts exactly. Easily in my top 20 of all time.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:40 am 
Singularity ∞

The hell? I was charged $12.24, not $2.50. Sonofabitch!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:54 am 

You bought the bundle, not the individual games. I bought the Sands of Time trilogy alone. I have 2008 for the 360 and I never was interested in the movie tie-in game.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:51 pm 
Canyon

Noto wrote:
You bought the bundle, not the individual games. I bought the Sands of Time trilogy alone. I have 2008 for the 360 and I never was interested in the movie tie-in game.

It should have been $2.49 for the whole thing (all five games) -- I double-checked it myself. That's what was being advertised -- Prince of Persia Franchise. Keep in mind, some of these sales are only lasting for like 6 hours at a time. So Shoe just might have been unlucky and missed the deadline.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:14 pm 

Downhuman wrote:
It should have been $2.49 for the whole thing (all five games) -- I double-checked it myself. That's what was being advertised -- Prince of Persia Franchise. Keep in mind, some of these sales are only lasting for like 6 hours at a time. So Shoe just might have been unlucky and missed the deadline.

No, it was a "Franchise" sale. All games in the franchise were $2.49 which was 75% off the regular price. I was in on it. The Bundle was available as well, but at $12.24 (also 75%). It's now $31.84.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:43 pm 
Canyon

Noto wrote:
Downhuman wrote:

No, it was a "Franchise" sale. All games in the franchise were $2.49 which was 75% off the regular price. I was in on it. The Bundle was available as well, but at $12.24 (also 75%). It's now $31.84.

Eh..kinda misleading if you ask me. Either way, $12.24 is still a fucking steal.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:23 pm 
Singularity ∞

Yeah, I'm still okay with it. It's a great deal.

Steam's sales right now are out of this world. If I wasn't on such a tight budget, there are quite a few things I'd buy.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:53 pm 
Canyon

Binary Domain for $6.24. Couldn't resist.

Also, both Portal games are bundled for $6.24. And I double-checked. That's for both games -- not the individual prices. Pretty hard to pass those games up for that price.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:08 pm 
Canyon

Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition. $19.99

Now I can finally finish this game.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:06 pm 

FYI, gog.com is having very similar bundle sales, in addition to putting individual games on sale for $2.99 for the next week or so. There's some gems in there (assuming you played PC games before the 21st century).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:27 am 
Canyon

Chris Knight wrote:
FYI, gog.com is having very similar bundle sales, in addition to putting individual games on sale for $2.99 for the next week or so. There's some gems in there (assuming you played PC games before the 21st century).

Glad you mentioned this. GOG.com (Good Ole Games) is great for old-school PC games -- I've picked up both Another World and Duke Nukem 3d recently. Deserving of it's own thread, maybe?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:36 pm 
Singularity ∞

Either that or change the title of this to "PC Game Sales" or somesuch.

GOG is great. I like it better than Steam, actually. Classic games, no DRM, patched to work on modern machines, no reliance on their service, and sometimes some extras.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:51 pm 

I haven't heard of GOG before. Do I need to download an app like Steam to run everything through or is it a direct to your hard drive situation?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:59 pm 

Gog requires nothing. They do have a batch downloader thing you can use, but it isn't required. It's a great alternative to Steam - just know that you won't find any new non-indie games (it's all about old-school PC gaming).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:16 pm 
Singularity ∞

Like Chris said, direct download to your harddrive. Super easy.

Hell, on pirate sites, the old school games are almost always just GOG versions re-uploaded by pirates.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:53 pm 
Canyon

Steam's DRM has never really bothered me -- you can still play most of their games offline if you need to. The service is so good that I rarely play PC games outside of it anymore (with the exception of GOG games). And I never pirate games since they'll eventually end up on Steam with a throwaway price anyway. I just wish they'd ban the use of Games for Windows Live from all of their games. It's basically just more DRM on top of Steam's DRM. I mean, I guess I like appearing online to my Xbox friends when I'm playing a PC game but it's really kind of useless since Xbox and PC games aren't cross-platform (which would be really cool, BTW).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:04 am 

What site do I have to go to to get Maniac Mansion 1 & 2 and Life & Death 1 & 2?
Also, Grim Fandango, Starship Titanic & Sci-Fi Pinball (the last two boxed PC games I ever bought), please.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:07 am 

Noto wrote:
What site do I have to go to to get Maniac Mansion 1 & 2 and Life & Death 1 & 2?
Also, Grim Fandango, Starship Titanic & Sci-Fi Pinball (the last two boxed PC games I ever bought), please.

Oldgames has the Windows-compatible recode of Maniac Mansion:
http://www.oldgames.sk/en/game/maniac-mansion-deluxe/

and Day of the Tentacle, which will probably require DosBox:
http://www.oldgames.sk/en/game/maniac-m ... -tentacle/

Home of the Underdogs has Life & Death 1 and 2 (both require DosBox):
http://www.hotud.org/component/content/ ... tion/20325

Sci-fi Pinball:
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/4630572

Grim Fandango:
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/4135042
(this may have issues working properly)

Starship Titanic:
http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/3765335/ ... MAGE_CD1-3

Now, for ST to work, you have to update the game from the official website, and install a video codec that no longer ships with Windows (otherwise, the cutscenes won't play, and the game will crash). All the info for this is in the comments section at the link above.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:19 am 

Holy shit, Chris, look at you go!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:09 am 
Canyon

Far Cry 1 and 2 for $2.49 a piece. Holy crap!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:44 am 
Singularity ∞

Wow, not bad.

I ALMOST bought The Witcher 2 yesterday for $7.50, but it requires 16 GB of HD space and I'm also unsure if my specs are up for the task.

Those FarCry prices are nice!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:23 am 
Canyon

Shoe wrote:
Those FarCry prices are nice!

Yeah, I snagged 'em both. I've never played the PC version of the original but I thought that FarCry: Instincts was awesome. Never bothered with FarCry 2 but $2.49 was just too good to pass up. FarCry 3 is also discounted at 38 bucks but I held off on that for now.

Edit: I also snagged the entire Crysis collection last week for around 11 bucks. FarCry 3 is the only Crytek game I don't have now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next