It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1454 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:53 pm 

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:41 am 
Black Hole

I started Mass Effect 2 last night, but either I'm a total dolt, I was too drunk, or the game is a busted piece of shit, because I couldn't get past something in the goddamn tutorial opening level!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:21 am 
HMFIC

I started playing Half Life 2 this morning. Bought The Orange Box a while ago, mainly for Portal. Figured I should play through things I own before buying more games.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:25 am 
Black Hole

Half-Life 2 plus the two episodes are among my top gaming experiences of all time. I envy you getting a chance to play through them for the first time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:47 am 

They recently came out with a new course for the mini-golf game I play on my phone. It's pretty cool. I've been playing that lately.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:21 am 
Cavity

Location: Lying shipwrecked and comatose, Drinking fresh mango juice. Goldfish shoals nibbling at my toes.....
I have been playing this for a while. I love that I can jump on, play for 20-30 minutes and then get off again

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:24 pm 
HMFIC

Shoe wrote:
Half-Life 2 plus the two episodes are among my top gaming experiences of all time. I envy you getting a chance to play through them for the first time.

I've heard that. Like I said, I bought it more for Portal, which I liked a lot. I haven't gotten very far into Half-Life 2 at all, so I don't have much of a reaction yet.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:16 pm 
Black Hole

Episodes 1 and 2 have a really neat feature I'd like to see in more games: A commentary track. With the commentary enabled, you get a load of checkpoints that will trigger developer commentary as you play, explaining how they created the game, game design theory, things they were trying to accomplish, and more. It's really fascinating stuff and well worth checking out. Listening to them makes clear why Valve's games are so head and shoulders above most other shooters.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:56 am 

and on my DS

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:29 pm 
Sinkhole

As well as a few other odd & ends.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:29 am 

Finished playing this last night.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:06 am 

John Carter wrote:
Finished playing this last night.

That's funny! I finished playing story mode on it last Saturday. :)

I've started to go back and play in Freeplay mode and it's pretty cool. Lots of secret areas and doors in the first few parts of the Raiders adventure.

I hadn't really expected the Lego games to be all that fun but I got into this one. My wife and daughter got me the Star Wars complete six episode Lego game for Valentines. I haven't started playing it yet but if I have half as much fun with it as I did this one, I'll be happy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:07 am 

I like the Lego games they are easy to play don't require a lot of thinking, just a nice way to unwind at the end of the day.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:24 am 
Black Hole

I actually reviewed this game some time ago. I've been on a Halo kick, so I'm revisiting it.

Recently finished playing through the whole Halo trilogy again, and am now playing through this on co-op with Shoe Jr.:

It's a good time. Different from the Halo games in a lot of ways, but it still feels like you're in that world. Good stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:15 am 

I can't get past the third mission of Halo Wars on any difficulty.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:55 am 
Black Hole

Every mission has been pretty easy except the last, which I failed three times last night. Had some trouble with the first Flood mission, too, until I learned how to handle them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:04 am 
HMFIC

I'm playing Mass Effect. Started on Tuesday and only got as far as getting the ship. Plays pretty much like a space version of Fallout 3, which I like, though I'd like to be able to skip some of the slow dialogue readings.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:08 am 
Black Hole

X button should skip 'em, if I'm not mistaken.

I really loved Mass Effect, and enjoyed 4/5 of Mass Effect 2 until my system stopped recognizing the disc.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:23 am 
HMFIC

X button? Thought I tried that. A doesn't work.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:13 pm 

A pleasant surprise so far.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:25 pm 
Sinkhole

Cru, ever play God Of War 1 or 2? How's Dante's Inferno compare? Loving homage or blatant ripoff?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:30 pm 

Oh, blatant rip off for sure. That said, the creature designs in Inferno are decidedly Clive Barker-esque (a good thing, imo) and the game is so fast paced that there's really isn't much time to ponder the flaws or lack of originality in game play. I was never a huge fan of the God of War games, but I'm really digging Dante's Inferno.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:08 pm 

The hours I've dumped into this game in the last couple of weeks is an obscenity.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:14 pm 
Black Hole

I fucking love that game. I love that whole series. I used to miss entire nights of sleep with Civ 3. I like Civ Rev because I can get through a whole game in just a few hours instead of 10+, but still ... ridiculously addictive in every way. If I boot the game up I will end up staying up way too late each and every time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:12 am 

Shoe has been talking about Halo a lot lately, and the missus and I have been meaning to co-op the campaign on Heroic. Seeing as today was an extraordinarily lazy day we decided to give it another go.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:43 am 
Black Hole

The vehicle segments of Halo 3 are terrific fun. On co-op they're a real hoot, too. Shoe Jr. and I just played through the whole trilogy. We're now playing ODST.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:49 am 
HMFIC

How old is Shoe, Jr.?

The OB&C is of the opinion that violent video games will be horribly scarring for a child. This is why Jack's swing is at an awkward angle in the room: so that he's facing away from the TV and his infant brain won't be polluted by video games.

I compare this to when I was a kid and The Terminator was on permanent loop on cable. Explosions, tits, violence, and a metal skeleton emerging from flame to try to kill a woman. No noticeable scarring.

I don't think playing Halo with your kid is likely to scar them, though I'd hope I'll be evening it out by playing catch in the backyard as well (if we can actually manage to sell this house and move to one with a backyard before my kid graduates college). But I guess I'm sort of looking for your thoughts.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:10 am 
Black Hole

Shoe Jr. will be 13 in a few weeks. He loves Halo and in addition to the games, has read all six Halo books.

I've been playing video games around him since he was a toddler, and he's always been fascinated by them. I've usually tried to avoid the REALLY violent games, but he's seen me mop up critters in Half-Life 2, which is pretty violent. I've stayed away from GTA games in front of him or stuff with excessive gore, but he's seen plenty of shooters in action.

I've never worried much about it because we talk about the games. We also play catch (I coached his little league team), play board games, and build hobby bullshit together. I read to him every night -- yes, even at nearly 13 he still enjoys that time together -- and have since he was about 3.

When he plays, he's only ever allowed to play for a limited amount of time. I don't think he's ever been in front of a game for longer than an hour or so at a stretch.

He's a smart, well-grounded kid. I've never observed anything even remotely off about the way he sees violence or the world in general. He's cynical, but not in a way that's any different than I was. He loves playing at war and all that stuff, but if you ask him about real war he's pretty quick to point out that he wouldn't want anything to do with it, it's pretty horrible, etc. He's averse to doing violence himself. He's more likely to try and break up a fight than he is to get in one.

He's a straight A student these days, about the kindest kid you'd ever meet, and a developing history buff. He has used stuff from video games as the inspiration for his first book, which he's writing now.

I don't even remotely worry about him and video games.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:14 pm 

As far as M-rated games go, Halo is about as mild as they come. Still not totally sure why it's rated M to begin with.

Shoe, you are the awesomest dad ever. Any kid would be lucky to have a dad a tenth as involved as you are with your son.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:23 pm 
Black Hole

Cru wrote:
As far as M-rated games go, Halo is about as mild as they come. Still not totally sure why it's rated M to begin with.

I agree, the M rating has long baffled me. I think the first one had blood, but since then the games have never featured human blood, only cartoonish alien blood. Florescent purple goo, really, or yellow goo from the Flood. No profanity or sexual content, either.

And thanks, but I think you overestimate my Cool Dadness. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:36 pm 
Black Hole

Shoe wrote:
He's a smart, well-grounded kid.... He's averse to doing violence himself. He's more likely to try and break up a fight than he is to get in one.

He's a straight A student these days, about the kindest kid you'd ever meet, and a developing history buff. He has used stuff from video games as the inspiration for his first book, which he's writing now.

Near-perfect CNN quote for the next mass murder at your local college.

Sorry, but it's true.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:47 pm 
Black Hole

Pender wrote:
Shoe wrote:
He's a smart, well-grounded kid.... He's averse to doing violence himself. He's more likely to try and break up a fight than he is to get in one.

Sorry, but it's true.

Nope, not true. Those quotes always include "kept to himself" or "didn't really bother anybody" or "seemed pretty quiet." None of those things apply. He's outgoing, far from quiet, and has a lot of friends.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:55 pm 
Black Hole

Shoe wrote:
Pender wrote:
Shoe wrote:

Sorry, but it's true.

Nope, not true. Those quotes always include "kept to himself" or "didn't really bother anybody" or "seemed pretty quiet." None of those things apply. He's outgoing, far from quiet, and has a lot of friends.

Hence, the "near-perfect" qualifier.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:00 pm 
Black Hole

I hope he shoots you. Shoots you to death.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:02 pm 
Black Hole

Shoe wrote:
I hope he shoots you. Shoots you to death.

I can't wait to see that on CNN.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1454 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 42  Next