It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:10 pm 

Shoe wrote:
I liked the Sherlock Holmes game because you could get it WRONG. You can blow cases. You can send the wrong people away and screw up lives. There are also multiple ways to solve cases, and some stories have branches paths that lead to different endings.

About my only gripe is that the game shows you how many clues out of how many you've gotten and that sort of thing. When you KNOW there are clues left, it's easier to be sure you have everything.

Otherwise, loved it.

I started it last night and didn't get very deep into it but I liked what I did and I agree with you about the games not letting you miss clues.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:03 pm 

I was seriously planning on dipping into a second playthrough of Fallout 4 but AW SHIT, FLASH SALE.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:26 am 
Canyon

I nabbed FarCry 4 from that same sale for 18 bucks. I usually save multi platform games like that for the PC but I need something to play on the PS4 since I blew through the Uncharted Collection (and it actually runs a little better on the PS4 according to a couple of comparisons I looked at).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:22 am 

John Carter wrote:

I really like this game. I didn't get the first case perfectly correct but I nailed the second one.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:31 am 
Black Hole

Shoe wrote:
Also, LA Noire: Fantastic game, just wish it was possible to fuck up cases or take things in a different direction. I wanted a little more DETECTIVE stuff. You're mostly on rails.

But I loved it all the same and look forward to another play through one of these days (with the DLC, which I did not play).

Serendipity, baby! Just went on sale on Playstation with all the DLC for $8. Naturally, I grabbed it (along with Bully for $5).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:33 pm 

JFelix wrote:

First there was Grand Theft Auto, Destiny, and Fallout. Then Rock Band. Yet, Diablo stood alone when the dust fell in early 2016.

Waves of demons need the killing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:19 pm 

I'm so deep into that Diablo III, it's not even funny.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:20 pm 
Black Hole

I set aside Yakuza 5 for a while, been too busy working at night to game. Totally swamped. Stopped between chapters, so it won't be bad going back to it.

Just finished Portal 2 for the second time, and am now playing some fan mods. Forgot how frickin' amazing that game was.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:04 pm 

JFelix wrote:
I'm so deep into that Diablo III, it's not even funny.

What class are you? I hope I haven't been sending pointless weapons.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:56 pm 

Stardew Valley, amazing game. It's a mix of Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:38 am 
Black Hole

I've been thinking about getting that, even though I've never played Harvest Moon or Animal Crossing. It looks charming as hell and quite fun.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:40 pm 
Black Hole

Playing The Division.

Found this review browsing the internet for related stuff and thought it might make Al Pacino happy to see that you can now play in Trump's Utopian Paradise:

THE DIVISION Game Review: Welcome To Trump’s America

"...a game whose character customisation menu contains multiple American flag tattoos..."

:thumbs:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:09 pm 
Black Hole

John Carter wrote:
John Carter wrote:

I really like this game. I didn't get the first case perfectly correct but I nailed the second one.

Sequel coming. Portions of London will be semi-open world. Here's some gameplay:

I'm in. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:48 pm 

The pirates cracked open the Wii U. Even with access to the entire system's library, it's slim pickings for content.

Replaying Wind Waker, remastered in HD. It looks nice, but I don't think Zelda games really do it for me any more. When you're under the age of 10, solving puzzles by lighting torches seems pretty damn riveting. As an adult, it's about as fun as a "chopping wood" simulator. Real life has dulled the exploration angle.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:29 pm 
Pollution Baby

Phone game, I know, but is anyone else playing Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes?

A 'Free to play', pay to level up quickly game, but it is Star Wars, and it is fun.

The premise is a holodeck/table game with Star Wars characters, you put together teams and either play against other people's teams, or in light side or dark side fights, or in 'raids' with a squad you have joined. Each character has different skills and attacks and some have leader abilities that apply to the whole team, etc etc etc... like a team and turn based RPG with fights only, no exploring.

Bad parts are there are a bazillion different things to collect to upgrade or unlock other characters or abilities, obviously to encourage purchasing stuff, but I have yet to spend any money on the game, just time. Lots and lots of time.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:35 am 
Pollution Baby

Recently, in my adventures of cleaning out the basement, I came across my old box of PC video games. And what was directly on top, but Dungeon Keeper, the original. I spent many a sleepless night with this gem, where 'Evil is Good'©. So I decided to spin it up and show the kids. Now, I'm aware that I could download a better workable version, and that there is now a much derided smart phone app version, but I have the disc! Why pay for something? About an hour later, and forced direct draw on a 32-bit version of Windows being the final answer to this 19 year-old game playing question, we are ready to roll... Walking through the first level it all comes back to me while I'm explaining it to my 8 and 5 year-olds. See, Kids, we are the bad guy. Usually in games like this we are the knights defending our realms against the evil demon invaders, but here, we are the evil demons invaders... cool, huh? And 19 years later, that idea is fresh again. Sure, there are games where you can choose to be good or bad, follow the light or dark path etc etc etc... but no game, or at least popular game, has not only fully embraced but celebrated being the bad guy, in a saccharine sweet world, like Dungeon Keeper. The voice-over acting between levels sets up the experience perfectly.

Love this game.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:33 pm 

Rise of the Tomb Raider on the PC.

Holy shit is this game beautiful - the current crop of next-gen consoles didn't wow me when unveiled, but now I see we're making leaps in graphics.

The game? It's Tomb Raider. I haven't played one of these since the 2nd or 3rd game on the PC nearly 20 years ago. Except Lara controls a hell of a lot better than I remember. Fine adventure game platforming. I only have an hour in.

But seriously, this game is beautiful. I never thought I'd care so much about hair physics until I saw some video from this game.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:58 am 
Black Hole

Back on Destiny for the RISE OF THE IRON LORDS DLC.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:00 am 
Black Hole

Total throwback to old school CRPGs. Challenging turn-based combat, meaningful choices, deep character-building system, multiple ways to tackle obstacles, good player freedom.

If you like Fallout and enjoy the older style of RPGs, this is worth a look. And it's cheap now, too, since it's been out a year or two.

Also, playing on my Sony Vita via emulator:

Cult classic RPG for SNES. I'd never played it. I'm really enjoying the tone and style and wackiness of the satire, but even so, I still fucking hate the whole JRPG thing. Used to love it, now they can't hold my attention and the fighting is repetitive as hell. Liking it, but highly doubtful I'll finish it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:34 pm 
Black Hole

Civ on an alien plant (duh). Basically a remake of the cult classic Alpha Centauri. Playing with the Rising Tide expansion makes it a hugely better game.If you like Civ and you like SF, this is pretty much a must-play. Enjoyed a great game where I befriended aliens, fought off the overly aggressive Slavs, explored an alien planet, and then merged with a planetary consciousness in order to transcend normal humanity.

Epic. :thumbs:

Fairly intense, in-depth, not-for-strat-game-novices global strategy game. Snagged it during one of the periodic Steam sales on this studio's stuff. (Got 4 as well and a few others.)

Got off to a good start as Castille, "discovered" the Americas and established colonies, then wanted to unite the lands and create Spain, but revolt and backstabbing neighbors threw the entire Iberian peninsula into chaos and I was fucked a mere 10 years into the game. Could have kept going, but went ballistic on Aragon since my economy and reputation was already fucked beyond repair by then, anyway.

I may try England next to see if I can start the colonies with them, but I don't want to deal with the War of the Roses. Don't like France. Maybe some alt history with the Ottomans or China colonizing the New World ...

For $2.50, it was a steal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:20 am 
Black Hole

I've been looking to return to this game for a while. It's been many years since I've played it.

With all the original stuff now in "enhanced edition" form -- basically just tweaking it for modern PCs, improving the interface, and other tweaks and improvements, some of which you used to have to accomplish through a series of mods -- plus a new expansion that bridges the gap between the two main games, I finally decided to dive in.

Really love all the Infinity Engine stuff (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment), and these slightly modernized versions are great. The difficulty level is high. You WILL get your ass kicked a lot. And that's okay.

They're pretty epic. I intend to play through the entire series, two main games and three extensive expansions, but we'll see if I have the endurance to do it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:29 am 

I put Dolphin (GameCube emulator) on my work computer. This is the dumbest greatest thing I ever did, because now I'm playing Rogue Leader and Tony Hawk when I should be working

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:56 am 
Pollution Baby

Dusted this off from my purchased but never played bin...
Nick and I have been going through it for the last few weeks (we play for an hour or so on Saturdays). Love the world and the premise, and the fighting is just getting natural to the point where that part is fun too. We just fought the Dog mech and that was where the fighting gameplay really clicked for me. The platforming is still fun.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:38 am 
Black Hole

I loved Enslaved. VERY underrated game, sorely overlooked. The game world is just gorgeous, the gaming simple but fun, and the story was nice. Plus, I had a total crush on the gal in the story.

Great game.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:50 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
I put Dolphin (GameCube emulator) on my work computer. This is the dumbest greatest thing I ever did, because now I'm playing Rogue Leader and Tony Hawk when I should be working

Nice!

The 2nd Rogue game on the Gamecube sucks so much. I need a copy of the first - so much fun.

Pro-tip - if you're a Nintendo nerd, the Wii U is a pretty good all-in-one Nintendo box. Hack that up, and you'll be playing Gamecube ISOs, n64 roms, WII games, and the 3 WII U games you might be interested in.

I haven't tried Dolphin yet but I've been meaning to.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:10 pm 

brian wrote:
The 2nd Rogue game on the Gamecube sucks so much.

There's some decent levels, but...ewoks. Yeah, there's no replay value there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:11 pm 

brian wrote:

It works like a charm with my Xbox controller. Torrentleech had a nice 65GB torrent file of every GC ROM, which came in handy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:36 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
brian wrote:

It works like a charm with my Xbox controller. Torrentleech had a nice 65GB torrent file of every GC ROM, which came in handy.

I used one (private tracker) but that game seemed to be corrupted. Then I was distracted by something shiny and forgot.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:29 am 
Pollution Baby

OooOOOoooh, pretty...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:20 am 
Black Hole

Yep, that'll be a system seller for me. Have an Xbox One right now, but it belongs to Shoe Jr. If he's out of the house by the time that comes out, I will buy a new system for it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:34 pm 

Between Red Dead Redemption and Playstation VR, i kind of wish I had a PS4 right now. Or that they'd release these games on PC.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:56 pm 

I played Serious Sam VR at a friend's house yesterday, and that was the biggest adrenaline rush I've had with an FPS since House Of The Dead at an arcade. I'm really tempted to get an HTC Vive (which seems to be the go-to headset for Steam VR games), but the price is a bit ridiculous right now. If Sony's PS4+ console scratches that VR itch, I might jump on it when there's a good deal.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:52 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
I played Serious Sam VR at a friend's house yesterday, and that was the biggest adrenaline rush I've had with an FPS since House Of The Dead at an arcade. I'm really tempted to get an HTC Vive (which seems to be the go-to headset for Steam VR games), but the price is a bit ridiculous right now. If Sony's PS4+ console scratches that VR itch, I might jump on it when there's a good deal.

Yeah, I was just looking. My hardware is up to task to play VR but I don't want to drop $800 on the full Vive set-up.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:42 pm 

I started playing Morrowind for the first time since the early 2000s.

Oof at the menu system, and the learning curve and difficulty level is a lot steeper than modern Fallout and modern Elder Scroll games.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:25 pm 

Steam let me know I got a new update to Skyrim (which I think is just a cosmetic makeover?), but the reviews are saying that saves from the earlier release don't play nice...sooo, that's a bit pointless. Guess I'll wait to see what the modders can do about it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next