It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1563 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:40 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Shoe wrote:
and a crazy looking open world historical RPG that looks like a fun, buggy mess. I've also forgotten the name of that one already.

I checked. It's Kingdom Come: Deliverance, and I won't be buying it after all. The game's lead designer is a GamerGate troll and loads of people bought it simply to 'stick it to the SJWs.'

The game's piles of bugs already had me hesitant. That puts me over the edge.

Not worth it, the bugs are just horrible. Not sure if it's been patched since release but it was horrible when trying it with some friends.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:06 am 
Singularity ∞

Al Pacino wrote:
Not worth it, the bugs are just horrible. Not sure if it's been patched since release but it was horrible when trying it with some friends.

I'm glad I took a pass. On the surface it has a lot of elements that sound great, but from your comments and other stuff I've read, it seems like a real mess.

I've been neck deep in this and LOVING THE HELL OUT OF IT!

Man, it's pretty great. Anyone who liked the first will for sure love this one. I'd say it's equal to the first, or a slight improvement. Amazing world building, fun mechanics, and some of the best level design I've seen in a while. Top shelf stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:34 pm 

Shoe wrote:

Man, it's pretty great. Anyone who liked the first will for sure love this one. I'd say it's equal to the first, or a slight improvement. Amazing world building, fun mechanics, and some of the best level design I've seen in a while. Top shelf stuff.

The first is one of the few games I played completely through multiple times. I really loved that game. Gonna have to add this to the queue of things I'll never have time to actually play.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:59 pm 
Singularity ∞

Good news if you're into multiple playthroughs. You can play this as Corvo, the guy from the first game, or Emily, his daughter (now an adult).

Though the levels are the same, their sets of powers are VERY different, and the narration and flavor differ between them as well, so multiple plays can feel pretty fresh.

Emily has this crazy chained shit where you can connect multiple enemies so what happens to one happens to all. Knock out one guard and they ALL go down.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:50 am 

Skyrim Special Edition - I felt like giving it a replay, and figured why not buy the SE?

I've always felt these games give each player a unique experience, but I find myself doing the same missions. It's not as special as I thought.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:55 am 

brian wrote:
Skyrim Special Edition - I felt like giving it a replay, and figured why not buy the SE?

I've always felt these games give each player a unique experience, but I find myself doing the same missions. It's not as special as I thought.

Because everyone says - hey, this time I'm going to be a stealthy elf with a bow, or a barbarian with an axe! And then you just become a magic user and fireball the shit out of everything.

It becomes more unique if you just skip the main quest and do the side quests - especially the DLC ones (which are standard with the SE - like the vampire quest, and the island with the weird magic dude enslaving everyone).

I do think we're long overdue for another one. There was a 5 year gap between IV and V. It's been nearly 8 years, and Bethesda just keeps milking Skyrim. I have been curious about the VR Skyrim, but I could see getting bored with it after about an hour.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:06 pm 

Fireball is my preferred weapon.

I was going to try archery, but nope, fireball.

I got bored with the island DLC. Not sure about the vampire business. VR is interesting to me too, but then I need to spend $400 on a headset that will collect dust.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:23 pm 

I played Skryim very regularly, until I leveled high enough to get the dragon bone armour. That's when I hit a wall, and got bored. I started loading in the mods / cheating, and doing all things you aren't supposed to do. I commented back then (probably here, who knows) that even after all that, I still found Oblivion to be a much better game, with much better replay value. I wish Bethesda would have remastered that game, and not Skyrim (which only benefited newer generation consoles, the PC version isn't really an upgrade).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:24 pm 

Yeah, the PC's version has different lighting, but mostly looks exactly the same.

It's nice running it now though because my PC back in 2011 struggled with it. Now I have everything maxed and it's rock solid.

Oblivion - I was going to try going through it, but the PC version doesn't have controller support. I know that's an anathema with PC gaming, but I think I'm developing carpal tunnel and extending gaming with a mouse hurts.

Hell, I would love a Morrowind remaster.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:12 pm 

I cannot imagine playing these games with a controller. I use this and this to prevent carpal tunnel issues (I use a mouse 10 hours a day, and without those, I would be in serious trouble).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:56 pm 
Singularity ∞

The vampire DLC in Skyrim is really good. Solid story, some interesting locations, and a great companion.

I am never a fireball slinger. I do the stealthy archer survivalist thing, though the last time I played I was instead a hefty orc swinging around a giant hammer and never using magic.

Oblivion is the better game, but the game world in that one is so samey and boring. Skyrim has much better variety in the world, which is good for someone like me, who likes to just wander the lands exploring.

We won't see a new Elder Scrolls game for a few years, not until they perfect VR for them, but last year I played as shitton of Elder Scrolls Online and found it a suitable placeholder. Set it to first person mode, make some modifications to the UI to strip it down, ignore the other players, and it's good fun wandering the lands, playing through countless mini stories, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:06 pm 

I have a confession to make. I bought Resident Evil 7 on the PC more than a year ago. I've got under an hour in on it, but stopped playing it because the sense of dread, and jump scares were too much.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:43 am 
Singularity ∞

caryc wrote:
Shoe wrote:

The first is one of the few games I played completely through multiple times. I really loved that game. Gonna have to add this to the queue of things I'll never have time to actually play.

I didn't think I'd do a second playthrough, but I am.

You will love how it works.

Your second time through, any runes you've spent on powers will get turned back into runes and you'll have them at the start of your next game (which means you should use them all, even if you don't need the powers).

Also, any bonecharm traits you've learned -- you can craft bonecharms in this one -- also transfer over, so just before the end it's good to break down all the bonecharms you have to learn all those traits (then craft even more runes to use just before the end).

Then, the full set of abilities from both characters become available to you, so you can craft the character however you like.

My second time through, I adjusted the difficulty from Hard to Easy and am playing as Emily, this time as an uber violent assassin. I'm just slicing through the game, using crazy powers to do insane stuff.

You know, like roping guards from 15 yards away, slinging them up in the air, and having them land on my sword.

Or mentally linking four guards together so that when I stab one, all four die.

It's super fun.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:32 am 

GoG added Episode 1 Racer, and I'm in heaven. Sure, I have it for the Dreamcast, but the Windows 98 version was always superior.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:52 am 
Singularity ∞

That was a really great game. I dug the hell out of it back in the day.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:43 pm 

I bought a Windows Mixed Reality VR headset with controllers for like $219 from Window's store. Maybe I can buy Skyrim for a 3rd time and play in VR

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:47 am 

In no way does VR feel or look real, but I spent a few minutes with room scale and Zaccaria* Pinball VR and walked up to an old pinball game - I instinctively reached for and assumed position for the game in VR, for a moment thinking I was really there. It was slightly disorienting. I've played quite a bit of digital pinball, but stopped once I started getting good at real pinball - you have only a fixed perspective when it's on the monitor and in real life, I move my body and face to line up my shots. With VR, I can move like I would with a real game.

*Zaccaria is an Italian maker of pinball machines from the 1970s and 80s - we don't get to see these games very often in the United States, so being able to play them digitally is kind of cool.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:38 am 
Singularity ∞

Within a generation, all the scary sci-fi stories you've seen of people being zonked out hooked up to VR will be reality.

It will be awesome and scary.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:22 pm 
HMFIC

All?

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 8:53 pm 

I'm probably taking the whole thing back. One of the controllers isn't working right, and it's not like there's a lot of content for me to enjoy anyways.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:28 pm 

I got the Microsoft Store to swap controllers with me, it's all good now.

Compared to my VR experience 4 or 5 years ago, this is way better. Back then, I had the Oculus Rift dev kit and some motion controllers. People were raving about how it fools you into believing you're really there, and how interactive it was. I recall loading up one demo where you'd pick up things to throw them, and I'd give an object a good throw just to see it land 2-feet in front of me in the VR world. I felt like I had T-Rex arms.

Things are better now. I played through a Rick and Morty VR game - there's nothing complex about it - you're mostly confined to a garage and are given things to do, but it was fun. The game mechanics remind me of late 80s/early 90s Dos shareware - enough stuff to do to keep you busy but not much beneath the hood.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:19 pm 

Goddamn, playing this for six hours straight actually made my PS4 lock up and give me a "YOUR PLAYSTATION IS TOO HOT" bluescreen of death.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:03 am 
Singularity ∞

Recently finished this:

Not as terrifying as their previous game, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and quite simplified as far as the gameplay is concerned, but still really good. Lots of techno body horror, some interesting philosophical questions, some really scary stealth stuff, and an interesting environment to explore. A bit of a "walking simulator" aspect to it, but there are enough puzzles, enemies to get around, and exploration to keep it interesting.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:15 pm 

I started a Batman VR experience. It starts out with your parents being confronted by a mugger in an alley, and your "mom" telling you to stay behind her.

Maybe I don't want to be Batman.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:46 am 

Games I've finished recently.

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

Started playing this one last night.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:20 pm 

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:07 pm 

Hey Chris, do you have a VR headset yet?

Star Trek Bridge Crew is on sale.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/star ... ridge-crew

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:19 pm 

okay, even if I did (which I don't), I would never play that sober. Star Wars is pretty much the only thing that will get me to buy a VR device, and that tiny PS4 Battlefront VR thing doesn't count.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:46 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
okay, even if I did (which I don't), I would never play that sober. Star Wars is pretty much the only thing that will get me to buy a VR device, and that tiny PS4 Battlefront VR thing doesn't count.

:( I want a crew, but I can't get this without one. I played Artemis networked with friends years back, which was essentially this, except we were all in the same room.

How about Beat Saber?

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:45 pm 
Minor Depression

Just got a Switch the other day (late birthday gift) and been bouncing between Super Mario Odyssey and Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wind.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:04 am 
Singularity ∞

I want a Switch, solely for the Zelda game. Won't be getting one anytime soon, sadly, but one of these days.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:29 pm 
Minor Depression

well I found out that they are gonna be selling it with just the screen and the controllers (no dock, no cables) it is in japan right now but will probably be hitting USA in the near future if you want to save some coin. You can always get the dock separately in the future as well as the AC cord.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:35 am 
Singularity ∞

That's pretty cool, though I'd get the full system regardless, as it's likely I'd be playing mostly on the TV, anyway. Don't have much need for mobile gaming these days.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:10 am 
Minor Depression

yeah I agree but options are nice this way the people who just want to play it portable don't need to shell out 300 bucks.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:30 am 
Singularity ∞

Pure coincidence: apparently there is a Switch in my house right now! My son just bought one.

I desperately need to steal it from him and play Breath of the Wild.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1563 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next