It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:40 pm 
Singularity ∞

Pender wrote:
Shoe wrote:
The main story is anything having to do with you being the Dragonborn. It starts with the first thing you're told to do and continues in that city on the hill. Dragonrun?

Ah... okay.

One other question, people keep wanting me to join their shit, should I?

Or should I avoid certain cliques?

Are the "Legionnaires" or "Imperials" a fraternity that you can join and not make the "cool kids" hate you?

You can join multiple things with no worry. Each group you join will have its own storyline. Some are better than others, but no conflict between them, so you can be in several guilds at once.

There are two exceptions. Legion vs. Imperials, you have to make a choice. Join one and become the enemy of the other. The story is different depending on the route you take, and once you choose one route all the camps of the other side become your enemy.

You'll also have to make a choice concerning the group called the Blades, but not for a while.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:35 am 
Black Hole

Why can't I have waffles and pancakes?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:39 pm 
Singularity ∞

Shoe Jr. is getting into the Elder Scrolls Online beta this weekend. Sonofabitch! I signed up for it, too, but haven't gotten in.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:47 pm 
Singularity ∞

In the online beta this weekend. wOOt!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:51 pm 

I'm totally into finishing all these sidequests in Skyrim now, and the stupid Moth Priest went all batshit insane on me (he's mega aggressive toward everyone). You'd think after 2 years, Bethesda would have patched that shit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:27 pm 
Singularity ∞

This mother fucking install is 20Gb. Sheesh! Thank god I just cleared out a ton of my HD space

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:40 am 
Singularity ∞

Wish I didn't have so much side work to get caught up on this weekend, because I want to be on ES:O allllll the weekend long while I can.

Mostly because it's unlikely I'll be shelling out the $15 a month to play once it comes out.

Actually, $30 a month. I couldn't sign up without signing up for Shoe Jr., too. I suppose we could share an account, but then we'd never be able to play TOGETHER.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:17 pm 

I can't see them sticking to $15/month for very long.

EVE (hugely popular spreadsheet space-RPG MMO) has a similar monthy fee, but it can generally be avoided after a few months, by using in-game-currency - which is earned by doing things (so, you only pay real money if you don't play very much).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:14 pm 
Singularity ∞

Depends on if it's a hit or not. I think they'll stick it out for at least six months. If they get the subscriber base, doubt they'll waiver quick.

I've been a huge Elder Scrolls fan since Daggerfall, so as long as my finances are okay, I'll justify it. First MMO I'll have paid for since the original Everquest.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:55 am 
Singularity ∞

Tonight is the last night to play ES:O for this section of the Beta.

Did not get NEARLY the amount of time this weekend as I planned to. Just too damn busy. Still, did manage to play for two solid stretches.

The quest system is really good. None of that typical "go kill 15 wereboars" or "fetch me 10 rat skins" MMO garbage. Each quest fits into a small, story-based series of quests, with each small storyline lasting maybe an hour or so. Sometimes several of these questlines stack into a larger one (and there does seem to be an overall story in here somewhere about impending war).

The stuff you do is varied, too. It's often just fighting your way to an objective, but there are also things like figuring out how to get past a guard without violence, investigating a murder by staking out certain locations, defending a certain area, activating a series of magic spots, and so on.

The map, however, is not wide open from the start, which kind of goes against the spirit of Elder Scrolls. I started on a smallish intro island. It was a fairly decent size, but just a fraction of a typical ES map. After doing a few questlines I got to travel to a larger island. This one was fairly large, possibly about 1/2 to 3/4 the size of the Skyrim map. (It was hard for me to gauge for sure.)

But I still couldn't access the main, huge continent and make a long trek to, say, the Imperial City or Morrowind or Skyrim. Disappointing. I mostly wanted to roam during what time I had in the beta, just go around seeing the sights and avoiding dangerous enemies.

However, in the areas you could wander freely, there were plenty of little side quests you could find here and there, villages to stumble across, fortresses, ruins, etc. That was all pretty cool.

My system could only handle the lowest graphic settings, which looked like Morrowind with some of Oblivion's special effects bells and whistles. That's not a bad thing. I was fine with how it looked. On better systems, it's supposedly on part with Skyrim - pretty damn good for an MMO.

Combat was action based. I was an archer. Pretty smooth, pretty fun.

I'm not COMPLETELY sold on paying $15 a month for it, but I had fun with the game. It's getting a lot of negative commentary on message boards, a lot of people scoffing at it as being a generic WoW clone, but a few niggles aside I was fairly happy with the game. If the world ends up being vast and well-realized, I may jump on board.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:11 am 

The biggest complaints I'm seeing on YouTube (and there were many videos posted over the weekend), all suggest that:

a.) For an MMO, it's not as good as WoW.
b.) For an ES game, it's not as good as Skyrim.

Granted, every sane reviewer admitted a weekend of beta testing is no way to judge the game, but nobody seems to be going gaga over it. And the general consensus I've been reading on Reddit is: why not just give us Skyrim with co-op? Followed by: The success/failure of this had better not fuck up ES 6 (see: Blizzard abandoning Warcraft when WoW took off).

I've never gotten into MMO games, because I don't like playing quest-oriented games with anyone (online, that is. I've always enjoyed social games, like D&D, when I'm in the same room with people). Unless I'm shooting you in the face, I don't want to be bothered. I play ES games to escape reality, and - most importantly - to be by myself. If ES Online requires that I join up with a party/guild, forget it.

Also, since I only play ES games in 1st person, and barely anyone touched upon that over the weekend, do you have any feedback? Does it feel exactly like an ES game in that respect?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:14 am 
Singularity ∞

Chris Knight wrote:
a.) For an MMO, it's not as good as WoW.
b.) For an ES game, it's not as good as Skyrim.

Fair and accurate, I'd say. It does tread a middle ground that is less satisfying than either extreme.
Quote:
And the general consensus I've been reading on Reddit is: why not just give us Skyrim with co-op?

I've seen that one a lot. I understand it and don't fully disagree, but the draw here is, I think, the idea of a persistent world populated by folks you don't know. Co-op games are great fun - I prefer them over MMO style stuff, actually - but they are different than a world alive with hundreds of random people.

Plus, I'm kind of intruiged with the "war" angle of this game. The whole middle section of the continent (where Oblivion took place) is a war zone where the three factions will be fighting to take over castles and fortresses and whatever. Supposedly it will be very dynamic, a true war with zones of control and all that.

Makes it sound like the world will be more alive than a strictly single player game would be. That's kind of cool.
Quote:
Followed by: The success/failure of this had better not fuck up ES 6 (see: Blizzard abandoning Warcraft when WoW took off).

It won't. Totally different teams. No one from the core ES games was working on this.
Quote:
I've never gotten into MMO games, because I don't like playing quest-oriented games with anyone

Mostly the same here. Even when I played Everquest, I almost always played solo (which was REALLY hard in that game). I've tinkered with Lord of the Rings Online and The Old Republic and DC Universe Online and played solo in them, too. I like the living world with loads of people around doing their thing, but I can't stand being forced to group with people.
Quote:
If ES Online requires that I join up with a party/guild, forget it.

It doesn't. Of the four or five MMOs I've played, this one is easily the one most suited for solo playing. I never so much as even CHATTED with another person.

To me, it felt like a solo game that happened to have a lot of other people around. Some folks have criticized that, but I'm okay with it. I don't WANT to be forced into a group to advance.
Quote:
Also, since I only play ES games in 1st person, and barely anyone touched upon that over the weekend, do you have any feedback? Does it feel exactly like an ES game in that respect?

I only played in first person. It felt similar to an ES game. Not exact, but quite similar. Somewhat like Morrowind (in that it was stiffer than Skyrim, less fluid), but with action combat rather than behind-the-scenes dice rolling. Prowling the world in 1st person, fighting and exploring, felt very good to me. I wouldn't have guessed it was a late addition to the game.

Still have some misgivings. I don't like zones being locked out until you do certain quests. Free exploration is a HUGE part of the Elder Scrolls draw. Not having it right out of the gate doesn't feel right.

An extension of that: sometimes you'll go into an area and find nothing because you need a quest to trigger the stuff that's supposed to be there. For example, I explored a cave. Empty. A few minutes later, outside, someone asked me to look inside for a missing person. Went back in, there was the corpse. I don't care for that approach. Let me find the corpse and then have to figure out who is looking for it (if anyone).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:28 am 
Singularity ∞

I'll say this: It for SURE doesn't have me as excited as an Elder Scrolls game would. I'm lukewarm on MMOs and as a solo game it feels like a half-hearted ES.

That ES thing where you find a guild, join, and have a distinct little storyline to follow wasn't there when I played. No guilds!

There were some good mini quests with regular NPC folks who needed help for one reason or another, but I ran into few of the quirky characters with interesting backstories you would in an ES game. Those that were interesting had limited, quest-related dialogue - and that dialogue wouldn't be triggered unless you already had the quest, which often was triggered elsewhere.

The roped in exploration I've mentioned.

The magic & skills system is fairly typical MMO (click button #5 to active Skill #5, etc.). Not a big fan of that model.

I LIKED it and will consider getting it, but I'll want to know more about how rich the world is and how open the exploration ends up being, among other things. The quests were handled really well, better than any other MMO I've played, so that's good, and on a better PC this thing is going to look dynamite.

But yes, the 1) & 2) criticism you cite above is perfectly fair.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:28 am 
Singularity ∞

Shoe wrote:
That ES thing where you find a guild, join, and have a distinct little storyline to follow wasn't there when I played. No guilds!

Looks like I'm wrong about this. Taking the post-game survery and it asks about various guild questlines. Guess I missed them!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:04 pm 

So, after I discovered how to fix the stupid Dawnguard bug (the Moth Priest becomes hostile, and makes it impossible to advance the quest), I managed to finish that storyline tonight. Talk about epic. I was wearing headphones, and when a pile of dragons jumped out of a frozen lake in front of me, I jumped. The sound was amazing.

So, is Dragonborn worth it? I've enjoyed all the big side quests, probably more than the main Alduin story, and this is the only DLC left (aside from the goofy build-a-house one, which I'll skip).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:20 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
So, after I discovered how to fix the stupid Dawnguard bug (the Moth Priest becomes hostile, and makes it impossible to advance the quest), I managed to finish that storyline tonight. Talk about epic. I was wearing headphones, and when a pile of dragons jumped out of a frozen lake in front of me, I jumped. The sound was amazing.

So, is Dragonborn worth it? I've enjoyed all the big side quests, probably more than the main Alduin story, and this is the only DLC left (aside from the goofy build-a-house one, which I'll skip).

I've played it and it's worth it. I also had a game breaking glitch in Oblivion where I couldn't complete the main quest and I eventually quit for probably over a year and I finally found somebody who had the same glitch as me and he told me what I had to do to fix the glitch which was really complicated. Anyways, buy it and have fun.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:57 am 
Singularity ∞

Haven't gotten the Skyrim expansions yet. What I've typically done with Elder Scrolls games is waited a year or two to let the itch to play rise again, then gotten the Game of the Year edition and focused on the new content and the stuff I didn't do first time around.

Will probably be buying Skyrim's in the next few weeks. Playing through all the Fallout 3 DLC I missed first. Operation Anchorage down, currently doing The Pitt (which is pretty damn cool).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:48 am 

I got Skyrim when it came out, and played about 20-25 hours and quit. Didn't hate it, but didn't think it was great. It's a console game, poorly ported to the PC.

Came back a few months ago, after looking at all the Skyrim mods that had been added to the workshop. The user-upgraded textures and overhauled menus convinced me to give it another go. It's a vastly better experience. I finished the main quest about 3 weeks ago, and found the game to get progressively better (despite the ending to the main quest to be ridiculously easy/anti-climatic). Then I started Dawnguard, the Dark Brotherhood, and Thieves Guild quests at the same time. All three stories are better than the main quest. Dawnguard's benefit is the addition of a couple of new areas, as well as the option of playing it in two completely different styles. They didn't fix a major bug, so save the game before you meet the Moth Priest. Otherwise, this DLC is fantastic.

There are two really shitty aspects to Skyrim (other than it being a console port).

1. Going into any of the Dwarf Dwemer ruins. Not only are the steampunk monsters a pain in the ass, but the sheer scale of those places makes it really hard to figure out where you're supposed to go. Dwemer ruins in Skyrim = Oblivion Gates in Oblivion. Except in Oblivion, you knew you had to go into the gate. In Skyrim, an innocent quest marker just says "hey, go find this thing here on this mountain slope" You get there, and it's 2 hours of wandering through hell.

2. Whenever you've completed a big story/quest, the result is...not much. You'll see what I mean when you've completed either the main story or, especially, the Dark Brotherhood quest. Yeah, I just changed the entire geo-political model of Skyrim, so everyone, please continue to behave as if nothing changed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:00 am 
Singularity ∞

I agree that the main quest was somewhat anti-climatic/easy. That final fight should not have been as easy as it was.

Still, I loved the power you get when it's all over.

Theives Guild quest line was really cool, and I like the dynamic quests they will keep generating for you.

The Companions storyline was decent, but felt unfinished. I suspect they had more planned for it.

Civil War was decent. The one disappointment is that your choices should have had more impact on the world.

Mages Guild questline was lame.

The Blades was interesting but WAY too short.

Did not do Dark Brotherhood or Bard's College.

Glad to hear Dawnguard was cool. It didn't grab my attention as much as Dragonborn, so good to know I may have two good expansions to play. (Fuck house building, though.)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:18 am 

Does the Civil War get resolved? It's still in my quest log, but I can't do anything with it. There seemed to a big build up (the Whiterun clash, for instance), and then it just went nowhere. I assumed the game just killed it when I finished the Alduin storyline.

The Bard's college story is pretty crappy, you will not miss anything (unless you want to significantly increase your speechcraft skill). It's a lot of back and forth, looking for poems and shit, which gets resolved with a big party in the courtyard.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:21 am 
Singularity ∞

You can still pursue the Civil War after the main quest, and yes, it does get resolved. It's not a bad story, and it will render half of all the army camps in the game unvisitable to you -- they will become aggressive enemies -- plus it does have at least one fairly epic battle, but the end is a little on the "meh" side.

It's not a long questline, so by all means, pursue it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:48 am 

I think I may have finished it - again, the problem with a lot of these quests is the lack of denouement.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:50 am 
Singularity ∞

Agreed. Bethesda are fantastic world builders, but they're lacking in the writing department.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:58 am 
Singularity ∞

I was looking at the playtimes listed for Dawnguard and Dragonbord on howlongtobeat.com. Pretty impressive!

Bethesda really gives you your money's worth for those DLC packs. Oblivion's Knights of the Nine and SHiverin Isles both provided a lot of play time, and so did all the Fallout 3 packs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:10 am 

There are idiots that speed run through Skyrim. You could probably get through the whole Dawnguard quest in a few hours, but you'd be missing the point. There are a bunch of new areas you get to explore (not just "oh hey, it's another dungeon"), and the emphasis of Dawnguard is exploration. At one point, you're sent on a goofy mission to get some tree bark (I'm not spoiling anything here), and the location where this bark exists is just mind-blowing. And then it gets progressively crazier, with two MASSIVE locations you have to explore to finish the quest (which aren't even part of the climax). You can spend days just wandering around these new locations - and, luckily, you're provided markers to revisit them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:40 am 
Singularity ∞

Awesome! Then I can't wait to order the GOTY edition so I can play them.

Some folks complain about DLC, but when done right I absolutely love it. Fallout 3, for instance, if you bought each of the 5 pieces of DLC new it would have cost you $50. A lot, right? The price of a full game.

Except that combined, it all adds up to just as much gameplay as a complete game, with big areas to explore, new stories, and so on.

And since it's broken down into packs, you can just pick and choose what you want.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:41 am 
Singularity ∞

I spent hours last night exploring a hige steel mill area in Pittsburgh as part of Fallout's The Pitt DLC. Climb up on narrow catwalks way way above the ground fighting things, poking around in abandoned factories, etc., trying to hunt down this set of 100 dohickeys to grab. It was a pretty cool location.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:41 am 

My experience with Elder Scrolls Online:

"that name has already been taken" (because nobody can use the same name?)

followed by:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:52 am 
Singularity ∞

I had that at the very start, too. I don't recall what I did to make it go away.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:22 pm 

It's some survey program that runs in the background, easy fix. Anyway, 90 minutes in - I wish there was a button to hide other players.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:37 pm 

I played EOS for about 9 hours...and that's about all I could handle. I really don't like this at all (and I really tried). Too many other people running around (hiding non-NPC characters would be so much better), I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to be doing, and I just feel like I'm grinding through quests that don't amount to anything. And the map sucks. People kept telling me combat is so much better, compared to Skyrim - but I think it's awful. All I'm doing is clicking my mouse 20 times, and whatever I'm fighting dies. Rinse, repeat. That's not combat, but typical Facebook game bullshit.

Ironically, all the game did, was make me want to play Skyrim. Which I ended up doing today (for hours), and it just felt so much more fun (despite only having smaller quests to finish).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:50 am 
Singularity ∞

The map is indeed terrible.

I don't mind other players being there, I just wish the population density was a little lower. I understand that's not feasible with MMOs, but I'd much rather run into occassional folks on my adventures but have the world mostly be NPCs than the reverse.

I can't see how anyone thinks combat is better than Skyrim. It's fine for what it is -- better than The Old Republic and Lord of the Rings Online, two recent MMOs I've played -- but it's lacking that organic, action feel of Skyrim.

Solid game, but it's telling that I never ended up logging in to play this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:09 am 

This is a very good deal for the 4 people on the planet who still don't have these games:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Elder-Scrolls ... +anthology

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:45 pm 
Singularity ∞

And they have all the expansions, too. Wow. That is an absurdly good deal.

Granted, Arena is unplayable these days, and Daggerfall nearly unplayable, too, but the rest? Enough gaming to last for the next year or two.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:23 am 
Singularity ∞

I've been itching to return to this for a while now. Finally did yesterday. Got the Legendary Edition for PS3 so I could mess with the DLC.

Previously played on Xbox, but my Xbox is started to red light from overheating pretty often now, so it's on its way out. Would have done PC so I could mess with mods, but my laptop can barely handle it and I don't like gaming at my desk anymore.

This time, playing a regular ol' brawny Nord with a giant axe. All brawl, no magic or sneaking. Figure I'll do the Dragonborn DLC with him, and the rebel side of the civil war, since I never did that path.

Then a mage of some sort so I can do the Bard College, which I never did, and one of the vampire questlines from that DLC I can't remember the name of.

Then a Khajit assassin so I can do the Dark Brotherhood questline and the other branch of the DLC vampire quest.

That should be a shitload of hours, which will make my $30 purchase well worth it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 261 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next