It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:21 am 
Pollution Baby

Downhuman wrote:
2 Billion is a lot of money, though. I'd have a real hard time saying no to that.
That's generational wealth, you do not say no to it. And if those people continued on with the competition they had, within 5 years their company/products would have been nearly worthless.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:59 am 
Singularity ∞

Ericubus wrote:
Downhuman wrote:
2 Billion is a lot of money, though. I'd have a real hard time saying no to that.
That's generational wealth, you do not say no to it. And if those people continued on with the competition they had, within 5 years their company/products would have been nearly worthless.

Exactly this.

For all the talk of selling out and the rest -- I'm disappointed Facebook bought them, too -- Mr. Ubus is exactly correct on this. Two B's changes the future of your entire family line for generations to come, and with big players worming their way into that same market, they were going to be the only game in town for only so long.

I'd have sold out in a New York minute.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:01 pm 

$399 for the Rift+Touch controllers. Add in another sensor at $60 and you have roomscale VR.

I impulse bought it on amazon. Then tried to cancel it because it's still a lot of money - but amazon keeps giving me an error and CS is no help.

So I guess I'm getting a Rift because I'm too lazy to return.

Virtual reality pinball is here, i guess. Trip report next week when it gets here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:04 pm 

I find it hilarious that, not only did everyone have a misplaced sense of nostalgia for '90s VR tech, but I guess that includes the fizzling out and disinterest that came immediately thereafter.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:01 pm 

JFelix wrote:
I find it hilarious that, not only did everyone have a misplaced sense of nostalgia for '90s VR tech, but I guess that includes the fizzling out and disinterest that came immediately thereafter.

Job Simulator (the best VR game I've played) is hilarious...for 10 minutes. And then you remember you're sweating bullets into $800 worth of non-waterproof headgear.

VR is a bit more fun than 3D, but about 5 percent as fun as Wii Sports. Just spend the money on a really big screen.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:03 pm 

no. there's VR pinball. And part of playing pinball well is the ability to change your perspective and line-up your shots.

It's really the only plus side I can find of VR. But for me, that is a killer app.

(Though I did get my ordered cancelled)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:16 pm 

I mean, I'm really excited to buy it from a clearance rack in a beat up box in two or three years just so I can play that VR Batman game, but that is literally the only context I can think of that'll get me to buy VR gear.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:23 pm 

JFelix wrote:
I mean, I'm really excited to buy it from a clearance rack in a beat up box in two or three years just so I can play that VR Batman game, but that is literally the only context I can think of that'll get me to buy VR gear.

Then you'll realize your computer can't run the games anyways.

Unless we're talking ps4 vr.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:03 pm 

Oh, PS4VR most def. I've never had a computer in my life that could run games made in the last decade or so.