It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:30 am 
Canyon

Cru wrote:
Downhuman wrote:
I'm not the only person on the planet that detected a dismissive tone in what he said.

Not at all what I said.

Then what the hell are we talking about here?

What you've said is that there's no way anyone could've taken that statement as a slight unless they were looking for something to take umbrage with -- that it "requires a serious, borderline intentional, misread of his comments to come to that conclusion." Now I've so much as admitted that I probably brought a little too much piss into it myself but, come on -- even the original article from OXM half-acknowledges that that statement was probably going to piss some people off. So again, what are we talking about here?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:12 am 

Downhuman wrote:
Then what the hell are we talking about here?

<snip>

Now I've so much as admitted that I probably brought a little too much piss into it myself...

You've just answered your own question.

I said that you were reading too much into what Spencer said and you've just agreed that yeah, that's probably at least somewhat true. Not sure why you're continuing to get defensive and argue against a point you pretty much agree with.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:20 am 
Canyon

Cru wrote:
Not sure why you're continuing to get defensive and argue against a point you pretty much agree with.

I was arguing against your assertion that people (and myself) were -- as you put it -- intentionally misreading that statement just so we could be angry about it.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:13 am 

Downhuman wrote:
I was arguing against your assertion that people (and myself) were -- as you put it -- intentionally misreading that statement just so we could be angry about it.

That's not what I said. You should know that because you've quoted me directly.

To clarify: the misreading is so extreme that it almost seems intentional. Not that it is intentional. If that's what I meant to say then I would have said: "It requires an intentional misread of his comments to come to that conclusion."

I can't be any clearer than that.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:48 pm 
Canyon

Cru wrote:

That's not what I said. You should know that because you've quoted me directly.

To clarify: the misreading is so extreme that it almost seems intentional. Not that it is intentional. If that's what I meant to say then I would have said: "It requires an intentional misread of his comments to come to that conclusion."

I can't be any clearer than that.

Quit being so half-assed. It was either intentional or it wasn't -- otherwise why even mention it. Saying it was "almost" intentional is just trolling that gives you an out when someone calls you on it.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:39 pm 

Downhuman wrote:
Saying it was "almost" intentional is just trolling that gives you an out when someone calls you on it.

Ugh.

Whatever you say.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:58 pm 
Singularity ∞

Downhuman wrote:
But I still contend that the apparent (at least to me) dismissal of the hardcore gamer is not dissimilar from the attitude that Sony had when they released the PS3. When they were recieving criticism for the ridiculous pricing of the PS3 they said something along the lines of "True gamers are going to buy our system anyway -- no matter the price." They were wrong and the PS3 floundered for nearly 3 years until sufficient price cuts surfaced.

I don't disagree with you here, and I've had the same thoughts. There is a remarkable similarity in tone between the PS3 launch and the Xbox 3 (fuck you, One) launch PR. Essentially, "The gamers already love us, so we won't worry about them. We're going MAINSTREAM!"

Forgetting, of course, that gaming already IS mainstream.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:59 pm 
Singularity ∞

Have a beer, fellas.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:25 pm 

So fellas, I haven't even thought about actual game pricing... Will any of you buy either a PS4 or a Xbox One if the prices of games go up? I think they are too expensive as it is right now, but if they raise the prices for games to $69.99 or even $79.99, I don't think I'd buy either system. That or I'd probably never ever buy a new release again (I really don't anymore anyways). But if the prices go up, I'll just have to wait even longer for the price to drop to $30 something bucks which is usually when I buy a game.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:48 pm 

I certainly wouldn't be happy about it but price is not my barrier to entry/purchase so it probably wouldn't make much difference in the long term, especially if there is a robust second hand market, digital marketplace or pricing structure that sees quick, dramatic drops in retail prices. I'm not opposed to spending $60, $70 or even $80 on a game if I feel that it represents good value for the money (I still remember the NES days, and the $120 SRP for Final Fantasy). Very few games actually justify those price points, though, and that's the problem.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:58 pm 
Canyon

For me, it's hard to say. I like (like Cru) vividly remember a time when game prices routinely went north of 80 bucks for some AAA titles -- this happened a recent as the N64. And it went uncriticized for the most part so I could see them getting away with it here. The jump from 50 to 60 certainly gave some people pause but ultimately nothing came of it.

For me, they're going to have to show a gaming experience that warrants that premium. For a system like the One -- which will basically be a half-assed digital content delivery platform with DRM -- 70 bucks is going to be hard sell. That's a tough pill to swallow for games you're never going to truly own. Especially when I'm essentially getting the same experience on a platform like Steam for much cheaper and with less distractions.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:48 am 
Singularity ∞

The games I tend to buy when first released also tend to have absurd amounts of content. I'd pay $100 for Skyrim or Fallout 3 and still feel like I've got my money's worth, so a boost on price with games like that wouldn't deter me.

However, even at $60 I rarely bu new anymore, preferring to wait until they get below $40, and in many cases to $20 and below. A boost in prices would only mean I'd have even more reason to be a patient gamer.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:48 am 
Singularity ∞

Mass Effect is one of my favorite franchises. Played the hell out of 1 and 2.

Still haven't gotten 3. It's down to $20 now, so I'll finally get it (and will be disappointed at not playing through all that DLC, since I won't be shelling out $$ for it).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:41 pm 

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

Quote:
Trade-in and resell your disc-based games: Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

Microsoft is reeealllly trying to have it both ways here.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:04 pm 
Singularity ∞

Anything that requires a fee to give a disc away is complete bullshit. The idea that they have to be on my friends list is bullshit. The idea that a disc can only be given away is bullshit.

It's all bullshit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:53 pm 

So, if I want a friend to borrow a game, that's considered a transfer. I can't give it it to a friend who just bought a console, because he has to wait a month before I can let him borrow it. When he gives it back, does that count as another transfer? And can I let him borrow it again, or does that count as yet another transfer?

I just found this little bit on the Xbox One site: Loaning or renting games won’t be available at launch.

PC gaming is so much less bizarre.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:14 pm 
Singularity ∞

May well be a deal-breaker. I don't even trade or loan games that much, and rarely buy used. Doesn't matter. Damn close to a deal-breaker.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:41 pm 

Quote:
A new generation of games with power from the cloud: Because every Xbox One owner has a broadband connection, developers can create massive, persistent worlds that evolve even when you’re not playing.

Microsoft has cancelled all post-E3 roundtables/interviews. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:37 pm 

I'll buy whichever console gets this in Ultra 4K 3D HyperHolo-HD vision:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:33 pm 
Canyon

Beating a dead horse, I guess. But just another example of how Microsoft is in the big publishers' pockets.

http://www.destructoid.com/abe-s-oddysee-new-n-tasty-won-t-sell-out-for-xbox-one-256324.phtml

I guess when Microsoft said that they would finally allow indies to self-publish, they were just blowing smoke out their ass. Hope this one gets ironed-out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:44 pm 
HMFIC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:33 pm 
Black Hole

:thumbs:

:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:38 pm 

Well, Microsoft changed almost all their bad policies. Most of my 360 pals have already changed their orders back to the xbox. I really thought they would change after the backlash, would have been dumb not too.

Haters can say too late all they want, but it's never too late to change for the better. If it was too late, I wouldn't and others wouldn't be changing preorders to the Xbox. I'm still getting both systems but this is great to see.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:43 pm 
Singularity ∞

Yep. They reversed on most of the major stuff:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/gamenews.php?id=105648

I'm back to being willing to consider this for my first next gen system.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:44 pm 
Singularity ∞

Whether it's backpedaling or cowardly or was a planned move or whatever ... doesn't matter, as long as it's changed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:02 pm 

Cleverly rebranded as Xbox 180.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:17 pm 
Canyon

I'm not going to ding Microsoft for backpedalling here. It was really the only course of action they had after the PR nightmare this became.

Now just back off on that Kinect nonsense and I might actually consider pre-ordering.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:43 pm 

Good for them (I guarantee you the military backlash was the final turning point). Now really the only sticking point is price, so it's still going to be the PS4 for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:57 pm 

However, I will miss the stunning arrogance of the Microsoft team, post backtrack.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:59 pm 
Singularity ∞

Since it's not likely I'll adopt within the first year, anyway, I suspect pricepoints will come closer to evening out by the time I'm ready.

I really have no interest in the Kinect stuff, but if it's built-in I'd probably be okay with having a party game or two. The Wii was AWESOME for parties, but I got rid of it because it was a paperweight in all other ways.

Still undecided, and won't be decided for a while. Just sayin' that Xbox is back in the game.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:04 pm 

I'll probably end up picking a system up on the next tax return. Sony making it a requirement to be able to stream all non Move-specific PS4 games to the Vita is probably the clincher for me. But now I can imagine picking up an XBox One on a whim down the line in a couple of years.

You know, once they release a stripped down version that omits the Kinect.

PS+ covering all systems at the same price point is a no-brainer, too. That's why the complaint about hiding the PS4's multiplayer behind PS+ isn't an issue for me: I've got that shit covered no matter what anyway

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:50 pm 

I'll get both consoles eventually. I was leaning towards the getting the PS4 first but this has certainly re-leveled the playing field. Still, it will be the selection of games at launch that will be the ultimate decider of which one I get first and which can wait.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:17 am 

JFelix wrote:

This will happen within a year of release, by the way.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:42 pm 
Singularity ∞

JFelix wrote:
JFelix wrote:

This will happen within a year of release, by the way.

No doubt.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:23 pm 

Don Mattrick goes to Zynga. Microsoft still going through damage control and getting rid of this guy was a good move.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/01/ ... -for-zynga

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next