It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:29 pm 
Online
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:20 pm
Posts: 7852
Steam took a few years to win me over, but I can't ever imagine not using it at this point. More importantly, YouTube has become a massive decision maker for me, since video game trailers are just cutscenes, and not actual gameplay footage. I can load up a playlist of recently added Steam games, and see what interests me. Sadly, it looks like game distributors (including Nintendo) are starting to get really dickish about people showing lengthy gameplay footage online.

_________________
In space, nobody can hear you ride breakfast goat


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:23 am 
Offline
Canyon
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:15 am
Posts: 1779
Location: Tolland, CT
Wow! Such a display of contempt, here. This asshole basically calls "super-core" gamers a bunch of ignorant shitheads who'll buy anything they put out -- completely oblivious to the fact that us "super-core" gamers are the ones crowing the loudest about this nonsense. I guess Microsoft is going to have to learn a really hard lesson here about their userbase -- just like Sony did.

http://www.destructoid.com/ms-says-gamers-will-buy-everything-including-xbox-one-254678.phtml

_________________
"You know the best thing about necrophilia? You don't have to bring flowers. They're usually already there." -- George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:50 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:12 pm
Posts: 950
Location: Not Texas
I read it as, "super-core" gamers buy all the consoles (which they usually do, I always do) and that come E3, if your not one of those people and you just buy 1 system, you will want to buy the all in 1 xbox. He very well could be wrong but I take what he said as confidence that we'll be impressed at E3, at least I'm hoping so.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:40 pm 
Offline
Singularity ∞
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:20 pm
Posts: 10409
It reads just fine once you take away Destructoid's editorializing:

"We believe that if all you want is gaming, you'll still pick us, at the end of the day," Spencer dismissively told OXM. "The super core guys, they will buy everything. They will buy all devices, but most people really only do buy one device, and if you're going to think about what that one device is, we believe an all-in-one system that does the best games and TV and entertainment will be something that's really unique."

The rest of this piece is a nice, bitter editorial, but the quotes they chose to support it don't support it. I see absolutely nothing at all wrong with that statement. He may be wrong, and I'm definitely not a fan of some the ways this system will work -- some aspects of this console will for sure give me pause when I'm deciding to whether or not to buy -- but I see nothing wrong with anything said here.

_________________
"Hitler had a pretty good idea there." - Eric


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:48 pm 
Offline
Canyon
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:15 am
Posts: 1779
Location: Tolland, CT
Al Pacino wrote:
I read it as, "super-core" gamers buy all the consoles (which they usually do, I always do) and that come E3, if your not one of those people and you just buy 1 system, you will want to buy the all in 1 xbox. He very well could be wrong but I take what he said as confidence that we'll be impressed at E3, at least I'm hoping so.


I hope you're right. Unfortunately, though, I think what we're seeing here is that Microsoft greatly misunderstands it's userbase. The ones who will buy the One sight unseen are not what this guy thinks "super-core" gamers are. He's talking about the COD crowd -- people who really don't care what platform they play on as long as they get to play with their friends. Those people are social players and they'll buy the One because all of their friends are buying it. What this guy just doesn't get is that all this bullshit that they're forcing people to put up with on the One brings the risk of alienating that crowd as well.

He's basically saying, "We've been doing this 8 years now. We dominated the last console cycle. We know what we're doing. People are going to buy our console no matter what bullshit we put them through because, well, they're either stupid or just don't care."

This is the EXACT same attitude that Sony had when it launched the PS3 -- and it took them 3+ years to recover from it.

Now here's the thing. Sony's new console isn't exactly the antithesis of the One. No BC (Gaikai isn't set in stone) and no carrying over of digital content is present there, too (and for no good reason). But Sony has been very smart in that they've kept their mouths shut about the true capabilities of the PS4. So just by keeping their mouths shut and showing something resembling respect to hardcore gamers, Sony has built up an incredible amount of goodwill by basically doing nothing.

_________________
"You know the best thing about necrophilia? You don't have to bring flowers. They're usually already there." -- George Carlin


Last edited by Downhuman on Tue May 28, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:53 pm 
Offline
Canyon
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:15 am
Posts: 1779
Location: Tolland, CT
Shoe wrote:
It reads just fine once you take away Destructoid's editorializing:

"We believe that if all you want is gaming, you'll still pick us, at the end of the day," Spencer dismissively told OXM. "The super core guys, they will buy everything. They will buy all devices, but most people really only do buy one device, and if you're going to think about what that one device is, we believe an all-in-one system that does the best games and TV and entertainment will be something that's really unique."

The rest of this piece is a nice, bitter editorial, but the quotes they chose to support it don't support it. I see absolutely nothing at all wrong with that statement. He may be wrong, and I'm definitely not a fan of some the ways this system will work -- some aspects of this console will for sure give me pause when I'm deciding to whether or not to buy -- but I see nothing wrong with anything said here.


Yeah, Jim Sterling gets a little carried away. I did actually read the original article but it was still apparent to me that this guy has a skewed understanding of the Xbox userbase -- and hardcore gamers in general.

_________________
"You know the best thing about necrophilia? You don't have to bring flowers. They're usually already there." -- George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:19 pm 
Online
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:20 pm
Posts: 7852
MS is banking on Sony's console costing $100 more than their own offering (which is very likely, considering the PS4 has to have beefier specs for 4K capabilities). This leads to parents balking at the price, which leads to all pre-teen/teenage boys getting an Xbox One for Xmas. It worked for MS last time, and there's no reason to suspect it won't happen again.

And poor Nintendo, despite having amazing support from indie developers on the Wii U platform, is left out in the cold.

_________________
In space, nobody can hear you ride breakfast goat


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:28 pm 
Offline
Singularity ∞
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:20 pm
Posts: 10409
Chris Knight wrote:
This leads to parents balking at the price, which leads to all pre-teen/teenage boys getting an Xbox One for Xmas. It worked for MS last time, and there's no reason to suspect it won't happen again.

I got the 360 over the PS3 for the games, and I have not regretted it a single day. Had no care to have BR at the time of release and only just barely care about it now that I have a PS3. The PS3 just didn't have a library I cared about. The Xbox had more games that I wanted to play, so that's the one I got.

I don't think the "parents" factor is the dominating one, anyway, since the average age of a video game player is in the 30s.

_________________
"Hitler had a pretty good idea there." - Eric


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:31 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:06 am
Posts: 5596
Location: Portland, Oregooooooooo
Downhuman wrote:
Now here's the thing. Sony's new console isn't exactly the antithesis of the One. No BC (Gaikai isn't set in stone) and no carrying over of digital content is present there, too (and for no good reason).

Isn't the PS4 architecture 100% different from the PS3s, making backwards compatibility literally impossible outside of emulation, which they've said they will be supporting (whether or not it actually works is another question)?

_________________
...fuck you, JFelix, fuck you into the ground. - Ericubus


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:33 pm 
Online
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:20 pm
Posts: 7852
Shoe wrote:
I don't think the "parents" factor is the dominating one, anyway, since the average age of a video game player is in the 30s.

According to ESA's 2012 stats, 90 percent of games are purchased by parents. And more than 2/3rds of all games sold in the US are rated E. If I were designing a console in a crap economy, I'd make it look safe and happy, and pleasing to parents.

_________________
In space, nobody can hear you ride breakfast goat


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:52 pm 
Offline
Singularity ∞
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:20 pm
Posts: 10409
Parents may buy games for their kids, but what influences the kids when it comes to the system they beg for? Kids don't say, "Oh, any system will do this Christmas," they want something specific, and they're not looking at the price tag, they're looking at what their friends have, what games it has, what people are buzzing about, etc.

Also keep in mind that a lot of those games are Nintendo portables, which are the biggest selling systems of all time. That skews the numbers.

_________________
"Hitler had a pretty good idea there." - Eric


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:03 pm 
Offline
Canyon
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:15 am
Posts: 1779
Location: Tolland, CT
JFelix wrote:
Downhuman wrote:
Now here's the thing. Sony's new console isn't exactly the antithesis of the One. No BC (Gaikai isn't set in stone) and no carrying over of digital content is present there, too (and for no good reason).

Isn't the PS4 architecture 100% different from the PS3s, making backwards compatibility literally impossible outside of emulation, which they've said they will be supporting (whether or not it actually works is another question)?


I haven't heard anything about software emulation, myself. The only thing I heard was Gaikai, which is a streaming client like OnLive. But they seemed very non-committal about mentioning anything further than that. Streaming would eliminate any issues you have with hardware incompatibility or unstable software emulation -- as long as you can minimize the lag from streaming, that is.

Admittedly PS3's BC was also one of the reasons that it was so expensive at launch with it basically having an entire PS2 chipset crammed onto the already crowded PS3 motherboard.

Software emulation would be nice, though. It worked well enough on the 360 with the exception of the baffling omission of a few titles that should have been compatible. No reason why they couldn't go that route in my opinion.

I stand by my original point, though. The PS4's and the One's lack of BC has more to do with re-branding older games as "classics" on the newer console's ecosystem so they can squeeze more money out of them than it does with their ability to implement it. The hardware for both current-gen systems is about 9 years old at this point. It should be much easier to implement BC, whatever way they choose to do it.

_________________
"You know the best thing about necrophilia? You don't have to bring flowers. They're usually already there." -- George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:06 pm 
Offline
Singularity ∞
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:20 pm
Posts: 10409
Downhuman wrote:
I stand by my original point, though. The PS4's and the One's lack of BC has more to do with re-branding older games as "classics" on the newer console's ecosystem so they can squeeze more money out of them than it does with their ability to implement it.

I think this is absolutely the case. It's not that they can't, it's that they can make a lot more money by reselling us older games than by letting us buy them on the secondary market.

_________________
"Hitler had a pretty good idea there." - Eric


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:59 am 
Offline
Canyon
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:15 am
Posts: 1779
Location: Tolland, CT
The back-pedaling begins.

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-vows-to-support-indie-developers-on-xbox-one-510129167

_________________
"You know the best thing about necrophilia? You don't have to bring flowers. They're usually already there." -- George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:08 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:15 pm
Posts: 1519
The XBox One doesn't even have a release date yet. Changing specs or features in response to consumer feedback is perfectly legit at this stage of the game.

_________________
"Look, when you need 25 copies of V.I. Warshawski, you need 25 copies of V.I. Warshawski." - JFelix


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:40 am 
Offline
Pollution Baby
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:51 am
Posts: 6422
Location: Massachusetts
Downhuman wrote:

Or, written a different way...

Microsoft listening to customer feedback and making appropriate changes.

_________________
-These are the demands and sayings of Ericubus.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:48 pm 
Offline
Canyon
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:15 am
Posts: 1779
Location: Tolland, CT
Ericubus wrote:
Downhuman wrote:

Or, written a different way...

Microsoft listening to customer feedback and making appropriate changes.


I totally agree -- they should.

But here Mr. Mattrick is making it sound like this was their intention all along when it was originally stated pretty firmly last week that their publishing model would be the same as it was for the 360 (which completely sucks). So they're fixing a big mistake without admitting that it was a mistake. Classic backpedal.

_________________
"You know the best thing about necrophilia? You don't have to bring flowers. They're usually already there." -- George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:52 pm 
Offline
Canyon
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:15 am
Posts: 1779
Location: Tolland, CT
Cru wrote:
The XBox One doesn't even have a release date yet. Changing specs or features in response to consumer feedback is perfectly legit at this stage of the game.


No argument here. They definitely need to in this case.

They just need to quit pretending that they didn't royally fuck this up.

_________________
"You know the best thing about necrophilia? You don't have to bring flowers. They're usually already there." -- George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:42 pm 
Offline
Singularity ∞
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:20 pm
Posts: 10409
Honestly, I'm not jumping on the "they royalty fucked this up" bandwagon, and I say that as someone thus far unconvinced about the system for several reasons. I'm far from sold, and am turned off in a few ways. However, to me this whole uproar smacks of the gaming community's usual knack for blowing things way, way out of proportion and engaging in outrage for its own sake. (See also, Mass Effect 3's ending.)

Not saying you're doing that, Down, just that I can't get myself worked up into the state of bitterness and disappointment I'm seeing from everyone else right now. It's just too early for that.

Plus, I'd point out that in this most recent link, they're once again bitching about something that has always been the case, i.e. you can't self-publish on the platform. You couldn't on the 360, either, yet Microsoft had strong support for indies, published their games, and had many hits. I don't see how any of this is backpedaling. I don't understand how people are missing this. In addition, they're also saying, "More information will be forthcoming." I ... I don't understand why this is a bad thing.

They have a LONG way to go before they sell me as an early adopter, but with that, I'm just not feeling the rage.

_________________
"Hitler had a pretty good idea there." - Eric


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:36 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:06 am
Posts: 5596
Location: Portland, Oregooooooooo
Shoe wrote:
See also, Mass Effect 3's ending.

Nah, Mass Effect 3's ending got what it deserved, kind of.

It just seems like, while the PS4's announcement wasn't all that fantastic, they at least made their intentions clear, and what was left ambiguous was soon thereafter clarified, usually on a positive note, too (press releases regarding used games not being blocked, no internet connection required whatsoever).

Microsoft seems to be making the wrong decision at every moment and their attitude seems to be "Eh, you'll buy it anyway," followed with dead silence and folded arms as a million questions get fired off at them at once. I'm not diggin' the 'tude.

Take the whole DRM thing for example - Microsoft is just plainly stating "More information will be forthcoming" (something they're using for every question at this point), people went apeshit when the rumors started flying about Sony adopting the same thing, and there were Twitter campaigns, multiple people at Sony responded with "it's working pretty well, much better than a few letters would. We're seeing the message loudly, and it's immediate," and "please know that we hear you."

While it really is the least Sony could do in that regard and who the hell knows if it will effect the outcome, tone plays a big part in it, at least for me.

I wouldn't say I'm angry at all at Microsoft, I'm just genuinely baffled at what they're doing.

_________________
...fuck you, JFelix, fuck you into the ground. - Ericubus


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:53 pm 
Offline
Singularity ∞
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:20 pm
Posts: 10409
Don't lie. You smashed up your Xbox in a hissy fit.

_________________
"Hitler had a pretty good idea there." - Eric


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:58 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:06 am
Posts: 5596
Location: Portland, Oregooooooooo
Actually, I totally sold my XBox about a month ago, because I hadn't turned it on in literally six months.

The guy at Gamestop was flabbergasted at how clean everything was. I replied IT'S BECAUSE I'M AN ADULT AND TAKE CARE OF MY SHIT. IF I WERE 14, EVERYTHING WOULD BE COVERED IN SEMEN AND CANDY.

I then blew $200 in store credit on a whole bunch of shit I'm still making my way through. It was a delightful shopping spree.

_________________
...fuck you, JFelix, fuck you into the ground. - Ericubus


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:09 pm 
Offline
Singularity ∞
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:20 pm
Posts: 10409
JFelix wrote:
I totally sold my XBox

See? Like a petulant child, you took your ball and went home with it! I am disgusted!

_________________
"Hitler had a pretty good idea there." - Eric


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:10 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:12 pm
Posts: 950
Location: Not Texas
I realized the other day I've spent 350+ bucks on Rock Band DLC songs and if the songs can transfer to the new system like the developers want, then I'm pretty much committed to the Xbox.

I also believe if the Kinect actually plays like it was advertised the first go around, it could be pretty fun. As horrible as the Kinect was, people were excited about it. I wouldn't want to play games like that all the time obviously, but a sword fighting type game would be pretty cool if it worked right. I remember when they announced the Star Wars game for Kinect and thought how cool it could be if you had awesome lightsaber duels...Obviously it was awful and nothing like what people wanted. But still, if it's actually good, I'd love to play it. We'll find out soon I suppose.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:05 pm 
Offline
Canyon
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:15 am
Posts: 1779
Location: Tolland, CT
Shoe wrote:
Honestly, I'm not jumping on the "they royalty fucked this up" bandwagon, and I say that as someone thus far unconvinced about the system for several reasons. I'm far from sold, and am turned off in a few ways. However, to me this whole uproar smacks of the gaming community's usual knack for blowing things way, way out of proportion and engaging in outrage for its own sake. (See also, Mass Effect 3's ending.)

Not saying you're doing that, Down, just that I can't get myself worked up into the state of bitterness and disappointment I'm seeing from everyone else right now. It's just too early for that.

Plus, I'd point out that in this most recent link, they're once again bitching about something that has always been the case, i.e. you can't self-publish on the platform. You couldn't on the 360, either, yet Microsoft had strong support for indies, published their games, and had many hits. I don't see how any of this is backpedaling. I don't understand how people are missing this. In addition, they're also saying, "More information will be forthcoming." I ... I don't understand why this is a bad thing.

They have a LONG way to go before they sell me as an early adopter, but with that, I'm just not feeling the rage.


It's not rage so much as disappointment for me. I understand (and expect) that a great many things about this console will change over the next few months. Lets be honest, they're going to have to change a BUNCH of things if they want them to sell. I'm just really sick of Microsoft's attitude right now. Not just about this console but about gamers in general. I'm tired of being told that I need all this bullshit that doesn't add one iota of value to the gaming experience -- Kinect, TV, Sports nonsense. It's all just a distraction. I'm tired of being told that I'm a fucking nitwit drone who'll buy whatever shiny new box comes along. I needed to hear a few things at that reveal to reinvigorate my interest in the platform. Instead, I heard a LOT of reasons as to why I should leave it behind. And I shouldn't have been surprised, I guess.

This isn't a new feeling for me. I've contemplated selling my 360 and being done with it for a while now. The Xbox brand has changed quite a bit since it's launch over 10 years ago and not at all for the better. I let my Gold account lapse last year for the first time since I got it -- I couldn't justify the cost anymore. The only thing that got me to re-up was Halo 4. And now that that's done, I don't have a lot of games that I want to play on there anymore. I bought Dead Space 3 on it just so I could justify it's place in my entertainment center a little longer. And the only reason I did that was because it never came up for sale on Steam (and probably never will with Origin on the scene). Didn't want it on PS3 because I hated playing Dead Space 2 with the PS3 controller. Still, in hindsight, I should've caved and bought it on Origin -- at least then I would have finished it quicker.

So where does that leave me with the One. Well, I could've just said "Not for me" and moved on but Microsoft took their failure as an oppurtunity to take swipes at everyone complaining about legitimate concerns. Just more reason for the 360 to be my last Microsoft console.

Again, on the indie thing. It's long been a sore point for indie devs that they can't self-publish on the 360 -- sure there were a number of successes but there also were a lot of devs who stayed away despite them. Regardless, it was wrong of Microsoft to use that policy to gouge those developers by forcing them to pay ridiculous fees and then giving them bullshit rules on how they could publish their games on top of that. I'm glad they're changing it for the new console but it should have never been issue in the first place.

_________________
"You know the best thing about necrophilia? You don't have to bring flowers. They're usually already there." -- George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:38 pm 
Offline
Canyon
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:15 am
Posts: 1779
Location: Tolland, CT
Al Pacino wrote:
I realized the other day I've spent 350+ bucks on Rock Band DLC songs and if the songs can transfer to the new system like the developers want, then I'm pretty much committed to the Xbox.


It's not going to happen. As they've said -- No BC and no carrying over of digital games. I would expect that that includes any DLC as well. Only purchased movies, TV shows, and music will carry over. So, hold onto your 360.

Al Pacino wrote:
I also believe if the Kinect actually plays like it was advertised the first go around, it could be pretty fun. As horrible as the Kinect was, people were excited about it. I wouldn't want to play games like that all the time obviously, but a sword fighting type game would be pretty cool if it worked right. I remember when they announced the Star Wars game for Kinect and thought how cool it could be if you had awesome lightsaber duels...Obviously it was awful and nothing like what people wanted. But still, if it's actually good, I'd love to play it. We'll find out soon I suppose.


I don't mind Kinect so much (I have one myself for the 360) as long as I can turn it off -- the fact that it looks like they've built the whole system around it is just a big fail. I hope that's not the case and you can disable it entirely if you want. Hand gestures and voice commands are great for science fiction movies but grow tiresome pretty quickly in real world applications. And they will never be an alternative to good old-fashioned buttons --ever. No matter how accurate they get with it. Plus, I can't be yelling at my console at 2 in the morning when the rest of the house is trying to sleep.

_________________
"You know the best thing about necrophilia? You don't have to bring flowers. They're usually already there." -- George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:17 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:15 pm
Posts: 1519
I don't think anyone outside of Microsoft knows enough about the One to really be disappointed, beyond disappointment that the press conference wasn't more revelatory. Then again, I'm not sure that's a realistic expectation. These things are usually more bluster and flash than specific information. Stupid, yes, but par for the course since forever.

Downhuman wrote:
I'm tired of being told that I'm a fucking nitwit drone who'll buy whatever shiny new box comes along.


I think it requires a serious, borderline intentional, misread of his comments to come to that conclusion.

_________________
"Look, when you need 25 copies of V.I. Warshawski, you need 25 copies of V.I. Warshawski." - JFelix


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:29 pm 
Offline
Canyon
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:15 am
Posts: 1779
Location: Tolland, CT
Cru wrote:
I think it requires a serious, borderline intentional, misread of his comments to come to that conclusion.


Direct quote:

"The super core guys, they will buy everything. They will buy all devices, but most people really only do buy one device, and if you’re going to think about what that one device is, we believe an all-in-one system that does the best games and TV and entertainment will be something that’s really unique."

Give me your take because I don't see any other way to read that than "Super-core gamers will buy anything and everything because they're indiscriminate gadget hoarders who have to have everything."

_________________
"You know the best thing about necrophilia? You don't have to bring flowers. They're usually already there." -- George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:52 pm 
Offline
Singularity ∞
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:20 pm
Posts: 10409
Downhuman wrote:
Give me your take because I don't see any other way to read that than "Super-core gamers will buy anything and everything because they're indiscriminate gadget hoarders who have to have everything."

The first part is pretty accurate. Most of the really devoted hardcore gamers get all systems because they want to play everything, and with console exclusives you can only do that if you have all the systems. I know when I was much more hardcore than I am now I generally had all or most systems.

Hell, now that I think about it, I have or have had all systems from not only this generation -- sold my Wii but did have one for about a year or two -- but every generation going back to Atari with just a few exceptions (never had a NeoGeo, never had a TurboGrafx, never had a 3DO).

The part I struck is cynical editorializing on your part. It's you reading into his comment, not a reflection of anything he actually said.

Not trying to insult or be combative, just saying that we seem to be reading markedly different messages and, with all due respect, you seem to be reading a lot into what he's saying.

Also worth noting the rest of his sentence: "but most people really only do buy one device, and if you’re going to think about what that one device is, we believe an all-in-one system that does the best games and TV and entertainment will be something that’s really unique."

So to me he's specifically saying they are not trying to put out "whatever shiny new box that comes along," but something that will be unique and worth having. You can definitely argue that they're focusing too much on non-game stuff -- and you have, and I agree with you. We have learned very little about the games. But speaking as a fellow lifelong gamer, I'm just not feeling slighted or insulted by the stuff you're citing.

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

Cheers!

_________________
"Hitler had a pretty good idea there." - Eric


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:11 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:15 pm
Posts: 1519
Downhuman wrote:
Give me your take because I don't see any other way to read that than "Super-core gamers will buy anything and everything because they're indiscriminate gadget hoarders who have to have everything."


How about: "The super core guys, they will buy everything. They will buy all devices, because they will want to have access to every platform exclusive."

Which is, as Shoe already pointed out, not inaccurate in any way.

_________________
"Look, when you need 25 copies of V.I. Warshawski, you need 25 copies of V.I. Warshawski." - JFelix


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:45 pm 
Offline
Canyon
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:15 am
Posts: 1779
Location: Tolland, CT
Shoe wrote:
Downhuman wrote:
Give me your take because I don't see any other way to read that than "Super-core gamers will buy anything and everything because they're indiscriminate gadget hoarders who have to have everything."

The first part is pretty accurate. Most of the really devoted hardcore gamers get all systems because they want to play everything, and with console exclusives you can only do that if you have all the systems. I know when I was much more hardcore than I am now I generally had all or most systems.

Hell, now that I think about it, I have or have had all systems from not only this generation -- sold my Wii but did have one for about a year or two -- but every generation going back to Atari with just a few exceptions (never had a NeoGeo, never had a TurboGrafx, never had a 3DO).

The part I struck is cynical editorializing on your part. It's you reading into his comment, not a reflection of anything he actually said.

Not trying to insult or be combative, just saying that we seem to be reading markedly different messages and, with all due respect, you seem to be reading a lot into what he's saying.

Also worth noting the rest of his sentence: "but most people really only do buy one device, and if you’re going to think about what that one device is, we believe an all-in-one system that does the best games and TV and entertainment will be something that’s really unique."

So to me he's specifically saying they are not trying to put out "whatever shiny new box that comes along," but something that will be unique and worth having. You can definitely argue that they're focusing too much on non-game stuff -- and you have, and I agree with you. We have learned very little about the games. But speaking as a fellow lifelong gamer, I'm just not feeling slighted or insulted by the stuff you're citing.

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

Cheers!


Fair enough. Point made. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

But I still contend that the apparent (at least to me) dismissal of the hardcore gamer is not dissimilar from the attitude that Sony had when they released the PS3. When they were recieving criticism for the ridiculous pricing of the PS3 they said something along the lines of "True gamers are going to buy our system anyway -- no matter the price." They were wrong and the PS3 floundered for nearly 3 years until sufficient price cuts surfaced. It was a mistake that isn't so much different than the one Microsoft seems on the verge of making right now although for different reasons . I did myself eventually buy a PS3, but not until after a major price cut. With the information on hand right now and Microsoft's shifty attitude, the One is a definite no for me. But I haven't completely ruled it out (a certain rumored subsidized pricing model might be the tipping point for me). I'll also echo what Cru said earlier, -- Show me a game that I can't live without, that I can't play anywhere else, and I'll buy your stinking console to play it. Just stop making me feel so dirty about it.

_________________
"You know the best thing about necrophilia? You don't have to bring flowers. They're usually already there." -- George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:50 pm 
Offline
Canyon
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:15 am
Posts: 1779
Location: Tolland, CT
Cru wrote:
Downhuman wrote:
Give me your take because I don't see any other way to read that than "Super-core gamers will buy anything and everything because they're indiscriminate gadget hoarders who have to have everything."


How about: "The super core guys, they will buy everything. They will buy all devices, because they will want to have access to every platform exclusive."

Which is, as Shoe already pointed out, not inaccurate in any way.


I agree with your point but -- as Shoe has pointed out -- that's not exactly what he said. You could be reading into what he said as well.

Depending on your point of view, it can be taken both ways.

_________________
"You know the best thing about necrophilia? You don't have to bring flowers. They're usually already there." -- George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:16 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:15 pm
Posts: 1519
Downhuman wrote:
Depending on your point of view, it can be taken both ways.


Well...no, actually. I'm not going to parse Phil Spencer's comments line by line but Shoe's already pointed out how the rest of the statement puts the lie to your interpretation. Spencer's contrasting the buying habits of core gamers with what convinces casual consumers to buy consoles. Period, full stop. That you choose to read insult in that is on you and you alone.

_________________
"Look, when you need 25 copies of V.I. Warshawski, you need 25 copies of V.I. Warshawski." - JFelix


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:36 pm 
Offline
Canyon
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:15 am
Posts: 1779
Location: Tolland, CT
Cru wrote:
That you choose to read insult in that is on you and you alone.


Dude, I'm not the only person on the planet that detected a dismissive tone in what he said. It's not that big of a leap.

_________________
"You know the best thing about necrophilia? You don't have to bring flowers. They're usually already there." -- George Carlin


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Xbox One
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:46 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:15 pm
Posts: 1519
Downhuman wrote:
I'm not the only person on the planet that detected a dismissive tone in what he said.


Not at all what I said.

_________________
"Look, when you need 25 copies of V.I. Warshawski, you need 25 copies of V.I. Warshawski." - JFelix


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group