It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Pinball
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:01 am 

Nice job!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:59 am 

That's awesome, Brian!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:21 pm 

Thanks! It was fun. I went into it with no delusions of winning. Maybe in the next few years.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:15 am 
HMFIC

Somebody in my neighborhood is selling one of these for $2,300. Can't buy it, and I have no idea whether that's a fair price, but the thing is cool looking.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:01 am 

Brian - We're doing some repair/remodeling on the house and are considering getting a pinball machine. I know you do a lot of your own repairs, etc on your machines. Where did you learn to do it?

Unfortunately, around here there aren't even many places that have pinball anymore, so the idea of spending time at an arcade where someone who knows how to service them could teach me is out of the question.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:19 am 

caryc wrote:
Brian - We're doing some repair/remodeling on the house and are considering getting a pinball machine. I know you do a lot of your own repairs, etc on your machines. Where did you learn to do it?

Unfortunately, around here there aren't even many places that have pinball anymore, so the idea of spending time at an arcade where someone who knows how to service them could teach me is out of the question.

Re: Repairs - Pinside.com's forums are a decent resource. I don't know your talents, mine are fine when it comes to all things mechanical and troubleshooting what causes a problem. If circuit boards are bad, or there's some electrical issue - I'm sending that stuff out to get fixed or calling in a repair tech. If something is not popping a ball out, I'm looking at the mechanism that's related to that feature and see if something is broken or missing, testing switches, and it isn't too intimidating.

You're in California, right? You may make some pinball friends that can help with repairs - lots of hobbyists around. Also if you want to get out there and find some games to play, this site can help http://pinballmap.com/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:35 am 

Thanks! I found pinball map earlier but some of the locations around me that they listed were no longer there. I'll have to check it again and see if it's been updated with new ones.

Thanks for the source on Pinside.com.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:13 pm 

If you don't have a soldering iron, be sure to have one.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:30 am 
Pollution Baby

Resurrecting...

I forgot to mention I took my son to 'One of The Largest Pinball Arcades in the World!' a few weeks ago for his birthday. The Pinball Wizard Arcade in Pelhan NH. Tons of classic arcade games and great classic and modern pinball machines, although about 20% were not operational.

Some of the pinball machines of note...

Hercules - (Which was working and I did play. That sucker is a workout.)
Kiss - (Classic and newer)
Gorgar
Xenon
Wizard of Oz
Batman 66 - (Not listed on their site, but it was there)
Game of Thrones
Lord of the Rings
Transformers
South Park
The Simpsons
Creature from the Black lagoon
Funhouse
Twilight Zone
Attack from Mars
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure
Big Top
Playboy
Spy Hunter

And lots more.

I was able to show off my mad Tempest skills for the boy, and he was able to play many classic games in their original form, not emulators which is what he is used to. The odd thing is, the 2 games that held his attention the most, and that he played repeatedly, were Jungle Hunt and Elevator Action. The simplest games there. He played Elevator Action about 20 or so times, until I finally beat it for him, then about another 10 times after that. Personally, I was into playing Tron, one of my favorite arcade games that I put many a quarter into back in the day.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:10 pm 

Those are some great games!

Also Tempest is awesome. As is Tron. Never got into Jungle Hunt or Elevator Action.

Re: Hercules - that game is a beast. The novelty of it is enough.

My friend recently opened up a Pinball bar in minneapolis - http://tiltpinballbar.com/

If any of you come out my way, let's go together! All games are $.25 and there are some great titles.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:18 am 
Pollution Baby

brian wrote:
...My friend recently opened up a Pinball bar in minneapolis - http://tiltpinballbar.com/

If any of you come out my way, let's go together! All games are $.25 and there are some great titles.

That is a nice website, and I like his beer choices. Also the fact that he charges .25 for each game, some of the newer pinball machines were $1 at the one I went to, which I wasn't happy about. If I'm ever down there, I will definitely stop by.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6