It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pinball
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:36 am 

Very nice Metropolis art! Much better than the midget, and half the price!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:15 pm 

Thanks! I'm happy I found something I could work from without relying on my own subpar artistry. It's a lot easier to modify something existing than to create from scratch.

Added a gear, the clock, title, little Maria operating the levers, and the crosses since last night. Wondering what else is needed....

Attachments:
Metropolis-flat-2.jpg
Metropolis-flat-2.jpg [ 197.55 KiB | Viewed 4409 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:45 pm 

Not exactly what I wanted, but it looks better than the original midget/weird lady/crazy guy art I think. I need to mask some of the artwork off from behind, the printed black colors look grey when lit up.

Attachments:
translite.jpg
translite.jpg [ 60.08 KiB | Viewed 4397 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:45 pm 

That looks bitchin'!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:32 pm 

So I've been itchin' to make my own pinball machine for a while. I've had a lot of different themes come and go in my head, but I think I've settled on one that would be good for a first project because of a few reasons - mainly art and audio assets exist, and I can make a really tacky looking table without feeling bad about it.

Adam West's Batman.

Hoping to get this going when I have the funds. I've been playing around in photoshop for a bit. I'd be better served to have a real artist work on this stuff, but then it wouldn't be my project and that's something I'd have to pay for. The real crime is that I wasn't able to work the Batusi in there.

Attachment:
Batman-translite5.jpg
Batman-translite5.jpg [ 190.73 KiB | Viewed 4359 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:14 am 

Dracula. The Pinball GAME!

Once again, I found myself at the local bar, Mortimer's, during the golden 30 minutes of pinball, 1:30 - 2AM. It's here where any awareness of external stimuli is filtered out and I become one with the game. And I had a damn good game on Dracula going. For the uninitiated, Dracula is an asshole of a game that will punish any shot made without surgical precision. You need a strategy. And I had one. And I was getting the extra balls. I was stabbing the shit out of Dracula. I was stacking different multiball modes to earn crazy amounts of points. This was shaping up to be a better game than my previous. And then a cute girl walked up. And she started talking about Dracula, the movie. You know, the 1990s one with the pasty-white dude with the big bouffant hair, with Keanu Reeves and Anthony Hopkins. And she was curious why I was playing Dracula THE PINBALL GAME. So here's the dilemna, cute girl, or the PINBALL GAME OF MY LIFE?

So right now, you're probably asking your self, Brian, did you get lucky?

No, being the best hunter has nothing to do with luck, it takes skill. I'm #1 on the leaderboard. I left the bar both satisfied and sexually frustrated.

Attachment:
bdtophunterdrac.jpg
bdtophunterdrac.jpg [ 93.54 KiB | Viewed 4339 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:33 pm 

Picked up another game, this time for free! It doesn't work, but it's in amazing shape. I'm hoping with a little bit of time, and maybe $100 of parts, and a few cosmetic things will get it looking and playing really good.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:20 am 

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/07/ ... 3-ps-vita/

Pinball Aracde's secured the rights to the Addams Family table with a Kickstarter to be launched later in the summer.

Making it the first Kickstarter I'll bother to put any money into.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:02 pm 

I am non-excited about it but I guess that's because I can play one for 75 cents anytime I want.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:56 pm 

Brian - if you make it to Fest sometime, I'll take you to this place.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:47 pm 

Kimfair wrote:
Brian - if you make it to Fest sometime, I'll take you to this place.

Nice! Have you gone? I'm no good at those old tables.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:55 pm 

I haven't been. A friend just sent me the link. I love the old tables as well as the newer ones. I'll let you know if I ever get out there.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:37 pm 

These damn things just keep showing up in my apartment.

Attachments:
taxi.jpg
taxi.jpg [ 81.59 KiB | Viewed 4153 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:38 pm 

Attachments:
marilyn.jpg
marilyn.jpg [ 328.34 KiB | Viewed 4151 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:39 pm 

How many machines do you have now?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:28 pm 
HMFIC

So... Marilyn is black and it's cold outside?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:29 pm 

Eric wrote:
So... Marilyn is black and it's cold outside?

She's flesh-toned when lit up. Some copies of the game have "Lola" of The Kinks fame instead of Marilyn Monroe - they changed her hair color and made her a transvestite. It seems Marilyn Monroe's estate did not approve of her being included in the game.

Red wrote:
How many machines do you have now?

I buy and sell them. This is the 8th I've had since September 2013.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:13 pm 

I've put like 20 hours into working on this game. Photos probably won't show it.

Owning a pinball machine requires a lot of maintenance and upkeep. Unless you were the previous owner, then you just leave it all for the next guy.

Lots of cleaning, taking apart the top of the playfield, removing ramps and replacing bulbs, more cleaning.

Replaced the power plug - someone previously had clipped off the ground plug and I don't want to be shocked.

Replaced the flipper bats/all the rubber on the playfield. Replaced the flipper mechanisms, put new buttons on the side so I'm not touching 25-years of booger-fingers when I play. Someone from a pinball forum was kind enough to send me the two missing plastic decorative pieces that were missing from the playfield, and I have a few more plastic pieces on route from Germany to replace some damaged ones.

I'm torn about trying to fix up the art on the playfield - there's some charm in knowing this game has seen hundreds of thousands of plays over the life, but having it look nice is kind of cool too.

Attachments:
taxi-with-plastics.jpg
taxi-with-plastics.jpg [ 298.8 KiB | Viewed 4098 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:56 am 

I am a junior member of the coin-op society now. I have the keys to all the pinball machines at my main pinball place/bar. Any minor maintenance that needs to be done I can take care of. For this service, I get paid in free pinball games. Yahoo!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:33 pm 

Picked up (most of) a new game today, Millionaire. It's a project game, and not a very good game. Wasn't able to fit it all into my car today so I'll need to pick up the body from the store next week. I also have the playfield to Robocop.

I want to build a custom game. It's easier to work with something established than to start from scratch. Millionaire is mostly a donor cabinet/trim/parts/electronics machine, but I'd still like to get it going so I can play a different game for a bit.

I've gone back on forth on themes, anything from
Superman films (Lame, i know, but it would be a throwback to my childhood)
Batman 1966 (not lame, hilarious)
Pink Floyd
Neutral Milk Hotel (oh so whimsical)
Wes Anderson films (see above)
Ghostbusters (awesome)

??

I could do something original too. But then I can't just steal art assets.

Attachments:
millionaire.jpg
millionaire.jpg [ 71.08 KiB | Viewed 3935 times ]
robocop.jpg
robocop.jpg [ 80.09 KiB | Viewed 3935 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:28 am 
Pollution Baby

brian wrote:
...I've gone back on forth on themes, anything from
Superman films (Lame, i know, but it would be a throwback to my childhood)
Batman 1966 (not lame, hilarious)
Pink Floyd
Neutral Milk Hotel (oh so whimsical)
Wes Anderson films (see above)
Ghostbusters (awesome)

??

I could do something original too. But then I can't just steal art assets.

3 words

Mars Cheese Castle

Throw back to youth, original, and can steal art assets.

BAM! So whimsical!

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:26 am 

Heh. Mars Cheese Castle would be ok, but not a passion project for me. I still wear that t-shirt you made me, I received a lot of comments about it the other day.

I offered a local artist $600 to do playfield art for me. He did not counter, so perhaps I was a bit high, or perhaps that is fair? I have no idea. I know I'd put more than $600 worth of labor into it myself, and it wouldn't look anywhere near as good. I love this guy's art.

http://www.lucasgluesenkamp.com/?p=770

http://www.lucasgluesenkamp.com/?p=820

http://www.lucasgluesenkamp.com/?p=697

I think he can pull of some good pinball art. It's going to be Ghostbusters themed. I'm just going to roll with it. Someone else already did a Ghostbuster themed pinball, but that's theirs, this will be mine. Theirs looks really decent, but it's built off an older pin which isn't really my kind of game. Well done though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:55 pm 

I've spent some time stripping the Millionaire pinball playfield of random crap. I decided I'd use this game as my canvas. I begun this thinking I'd just retheme and existing game, but this game's layout will also be custom.

I don't know what I'm doing, but I am a pinball player and I know what I like - fast games with fluid shots and non-stop action.

On my favorite games, the things I appreciate involve one shot feeding another shot - such as looping a ball which feeds it to the upper flipper, which you then aim with the upper flipper to feed into something else. Pinball bliss.

So, what I have here is the mostly empty playfield, but with proposed shots/trajectories and notes. I imagine most of this is done on computers these days. I'm using painters tape and a paint pen for notes, and figuring out what shots I'll be making with which flipper. This is probably a good starting point? Who knows?

Attachments:
millionaire-progress-2.jpg
millionaire-progress-2.jpg [ 411.64 KiB | Viewed 3889 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:55 am 
Pollution Baby

I really like that guys work, looking forward to what this becomes.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:50 am 

Attachment:
surfsafari2.jpg
surfsafari2.jpg [ 431.78 KiB | Viewed 3670 times ]
Attachment:
surfsafari.jpg
surfsafari.jpg [ 419.38 KiB | Viewed 3670 times ]

I got another one of these things. It's a Gottlieb. 1990s Gottlieb machines are the red-headed stepchild of pinball machines.

This one isn't that notable. Some of them are really odd. If anyone has a fond memory of pinball, chances are it doesn't involve this game or anything out of this company from the 1980s on.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:49 pm 
Pollution Baby

Not the greatest quality of a video, but I wanted to show some love for this thread when I was at an amusement park with the family today. These are the pinball machines in their arcade...

I played Star Wars and Spider-man, both a lot of fun. I tried to play the Monster Bash one, but my quarters kept just going through, it no work-y. My kids played more than a few.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:59 pm 

Lots of good ones there, Whirlwind, Simpsons, Star Trek TNG, Monster Bash, Spider-Man, Twilight Zone, Addams - great great games.

That place sounds like the Chuck E Cheeses of my youth.

Round my parts, pinball is serious business.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:08 pm 
Pollution Baby

Nick loved the Spider-man one, with all the bad guys popping up. It was a quarter a play for all of them, so it kept them busy for very little cash, always a plus, and I loved how much they got into them. The R2D2 on Star Wars had Eva coming back for more. Some of them had tournament play buttons too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:32 pm 

Spider-Man - If I had 5 grand sitting around, I'd own it. Good use of the theme, and callouts from J. Jonah Jameson. What's not to love?

Star Wars - pinball nerds hate it (rules - best way to get points is to keep hitting that center ramp)

Like, for a pinball person, that's not a challenge, dialing in your aim to one location is easy. A game that forces you to shoot for different things? That's where you test how wild things can get.

But damn if that Star Wars table isn't pretty to look at - R2D2, the Death Star, the comic book artwork. I wouldn't mind having one of my own. And some enthusiast fixed the rules a bit so you couldn't just get the best scores hitting that center ramp.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:18 am 
Pollution Baby

The Star Wars one is exciting to watch, but, yes, playing it was kind of boring after a few games, and that not a plunger thing, the handle lever, it was an interesting idea, but not well implemented. I like the pull back plungers, no need to replace them with some form of electronic button or switch.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:12 pm 

I traded Surf'n Safari for one game, and purchased another game.

Pictured is one of my two latest games. The other needs to be put together and Brian has no patience for that right now.

This one... this one is beautiful.

Attachments:
hardbody.jpg
hardbody.jpg [ 106.46 KiB | Viewed 3575 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:25 am 
Pollution Baby

Does it smell like cheese?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:18 pm 

No, like chemicals because I sprayed down both of the two games I got because my apartment suddenly smelled like a 1980s tavern.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:04 pm 

Pinball state finals were today.

Top 16 players were eligible to compete, I snuck in with 15.

I played one of the top players and got my butt kicked. Kicked butt when playing against the bottom 8 players though and landed 9th, which I'm pretty ok with. I did better than a world champion today.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:00 am 

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/02/1 ... mpionship/

They captured my akward pinball moves right around the time they started playing The Who's Pinball Wizard.

Finally I'm recognized by the media for competitive sport.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next