It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pinball
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:25 pm 

Pinball Arcade added Portrait Monitor mode so if you can swivel your monitor and rotate your desktop in Windows, you can use more screen real estate.

However, if you have a 16x10 monitor, the flippers are cut off because bug testing was probably skipped? Should be patched in a few days.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:19 am 

And I am now without a pinball machine. I was about to list it for sale when when of the local operators asked if I wanted to get rid of it - didn't even need to list it. Going away today :( :( :(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:18 am 
Canyon

brian wrote:
And I am now without a pinball machine. I was about to list it for sale when when of the local operators asked if I wanted to get rid of it - didn't even need to list it. Going away today :( :( :(

Are you going to get something else? Or are you going to put all your funds and energy into getting that virtual pinball machine going?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:47 pm 

I might make a cheap Virtual cab - something with all the hardware, but not all the bulk of a pinball machine. I don't know yet. I'm not looking to replace it actively, but if a table I like comes up for sale in my price range, I'll go for it. As an apartment dweller though, it would probably be best if I don't get another one (or plan to sell it before I move)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:23 pm 

One of the pinball haunts I have around here. Behind this row of machines you'll find another 15-20 tables as well. They have a few classic stand-up games to round off the collection.

The more I play, the more I see the same people, it wouldn't shock me if it was just a group of 30 people supporting these businesses.

I've been told the '92, '94, and '96 World Champions all play around here. I met one of them. He was smug.

Attachments:
pinball.jpg
pinball.jpg [ 82.79 KiB | Viewed 5308 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:28 pm 

My parents seem willing to buy me a pinball machine. I don't know why. I feel weird about this, but on the other hand, pinball!

Jurassic Park? It has a T-Rex that eats the ball.

Fire? It's a game where your city is perpetually on fire. The artwork is pretty swell.

Who Dunnit? Pinball in the style of the boardgame Clue. Again, classy artwork. No idea if the game is fun.

Rollergames? It has sponsorship by Thermos. Looks like the 1980s puked all over this pinball machine.

I could probably get a rollergames and a fire for the same price as a nice Jurassic Park. Two good games, but is that enough to dethrone a dinosaur that eats my balls?

I'm not locked in to any of these really. There are other games I'd like. Though some I worry I'd be afraid to let go of.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:16 pm 

Elvira. I'm getting an Elvira.

My dad is getting an Indy 500. Which mostly looks like the same game but with racecars instead of boob jokes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:57 am 

Someone just tried pulling a confidence trick on me with the new Star Trek pinball game. He had a crappy first ball, I had an ok first ball. He tried to make a wager, and when I said "I'm not a betting man" he nearly threw a tantrum. Then he proceeded to dominate the game.

Turns out he's a pinball world champion.

That's not a joke.

The Twin Cities is home to two of the pinball world champions.

He just wanted a free beer. Denied.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:05 am 
Canyon

brian wrote:
Someone just tried pulling a confidence trick on me with the new Star Trek pinball game. He had a crappy first ball, I had an ok first ball. He tried to make a wager, and when I said "I'm not a betting man" he nearly threw a tantrum. Then he proceeded to dominate the game.

Seems like a lot of these pinball champs are big douchenozzles.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:57 am 
Singularity ∞

brian wrote:
I met one of them. He was smug.

brian wrote:

Turns out he's a pinball world champion.

There are few things more hilarious than someone who has one big life accomplishment, a life accomplishment that is kind of cool but also kind of silly and not worth being full of yourself over, and yet who struts as if they were the first man on the moon or something.

You played pinball, douchebag.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:30 pm 

Haha, I know! It's kind of amazing. The confidence trick dude wasn't so bad after the fact. Guy wanted a free beer and has probably done this many times before.

Hilarious that there are two of these guys around here though. Thinking of the glory days of 1996 when the pressure was on and he destroyed on a game of Creature from the Black Lagoon. It's amusing to me more than anything. I enjoyed watching him play. I feel like a bull in a china shop by comparison.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:54 pm 

I now have a Terminator 3 and a Rollergames machine.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:36 pm 

So, this Rollergames title isn't held in high regard because of its theme. It's based on a roller derby meets pro wrestling show from 1990. It's cheesy.

The music is over the top. The artwork looks like Saved by the Bell puked Trapper Keepers all over the playfield. Then Pepsi decided to post their logos on the game for good measure.

I love it. The design of the game is very solid, the shots are satisfying and challenging. I toyed with the idea of retheming this title into something else, but I think I've fallen in love with it.

I have some $200 worth of LED lighting on its way from Europe. I'm impatient though, and put a few spotlights on the playfield that shoot out a neon purple light. It's perfect. I am going to embrace what they started in 1990 and make it even more garish. Pink and purple lights everywhere!

Attachments:
rollergamesspot.jpg
rollergamesspot.jpg [ 134.85 KiB | Viewed 5172 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:43 pm 

Games after I got them in the door.

T3 already has LED lighting from a previous owner. Well-done lighting can really make a game's color pop.

Terminator 3 is not as fun as Rollergames. Still neat, but I think it's one of those games that I'll trade not far down the road for something else.

Attachments:
pinballs.jpg
pinballs.jpg [ 88.31 KiB | Viewed 5172 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:14 am 

brian wrote:
The artwork looks like Saved by the Bell puked Trapper Keepers all over the playfield.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:48 pm 

This is a very strange hobby and I think I might have T3 out the door in exchange for a copy of this:

A local guy is looking to trade it out. I think T3 has some gameplay left in it, but I really enjoyed the games I've put in on World Cup Soccer 94. It's a ridiculous amount of fun.

I feel weird trading this game out so soon though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:54 pm 

LEDs added to make it more... 80s.

Attachments:
rg-lights.jpg
rg-lights.jpg [ 244.83 KiB | Viewed 5137 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:28 pm 

brian wrote:
Elvira. I'm getting an Elvira.

My dad is getting an Indy 500. Which mostly looks like the same game but with racecars instead of boob jokes.

IS IT SCARED STIFF? FUCK, TELL ME IT'S SCARED STIFF! I FUCKING LOVE THAT TABLE SO MUCH!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:34 pm 

I... went back on it. Actually it was Elvira and the Party Monsters, but I got T3 instead. I like the look and sound of Elvira way more than I did T3, but figured T3 would be easier to trade down the line for another game I'd want.

Scared Stiff is ridiculously expensive.

I am trying to avoid owning two machines that I know I'll get attached to. Rollergames is a long-term keeper and machine number 2 is my more expensive game to trade out. If I get attached to two games, I may need to buy a 3rd, and as a renter, that's a terrible idea.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:42 pm 

brian wrote:
Scared Stiff is ridiculously expensive.

No doubt, because it's fucking awesome. The voicing is AMAZING the light games on the marquee are a ton of fun, there's all sorts of crazy shit going on on the table. Oh man...

How expensive is expensive?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:52 pm 

5-6 grand is expensive to me.

For reference, the new Star Trek pinball from Stern is $5k. That is rich man's territory.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:07 pm 

brian wrote:
5-6 grand is expensive to me.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Nope, don't got it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:28 pm 

Traded T3 for World Cup Soccer. GOAL!

Attachments:
world-cup-soccer.jpg
world-cup-soccer.jpg [ 34.79 KiB | Viewed 5077 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:37 pm 

You're a regular pinball wheeler-dealer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:35 pm 

Indeed. My poor roommate locked into helping me move these damn things every time. I should probably cool it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:44 pm 

I got another one of these things. Elektra.

It's about a woman with diamonds coming out of her crotch. Early 1980s table, notable for being the first game with a 3-level playing field. These tables were expensive to make and companies shied away from making too many more.

I'm not a big fan of early 1980s tables, but I saw a video of one of these and I liked the aesthetics. I went to Midwest Gaming Classic in Wisconsin this weekend, and made a deal for one at an agreeable price. It's a little rough around the edges, but it's working. It still has petrified gum on the side of the cabinet.

Also of note, I beat one of my favorite pinball designers at a round of pinball. Yes, I have a favorite pinball designer. I met a bunch of them this weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:31 pm 

If I didn't know any better, I'd say there's a midget living in this machine smoking cigars.

Because it smells really awful. And now my room smells like it. Ugh.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:11 am 
Pollution Baby

I remember seeing a news story or documentary that included the Elektra machine and how it was made. Can't find it at the moment though.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:54 am 

Would be interested in checking it out if you do find it.

I was able to fix up some of the displays on this thing - reflowing with silver solder can help fix some of the missing digits. I have one really bad display that I don't think I can fix, and one that's marginal.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:32 pm 

This is how I spend my weekend. Slicing up my fingers installing new lights. Not exactly where I want it to be right now.... Needs some more work and a few different colors.

Attachments:
elektra-playfield.jpg
elektra-playfield.jpg [ 64.05 KiB | Viewed 4944 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:07 pm 

And I got another one. It's in my car because I am a weakling and can't bring it up 3 flights by my lonesome.

This one is the most amazing yet. No photos or previews until I get it in here.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:28 pm 

Let nobody say that when Brian gets into a hobby, he doesn't go all in.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:20 pm 
Singularity ∞

He's a fucking madman.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:21 pm 

You're not kidding about me going all in. Honestly I'm a little self conscious about it because I know myself well enough that in 2-5 years I'll be onto something else.

Anywhooo

Not sure if you can get a good look at the backbox photo.

[ENHANCE]

[ENHANCE]

[ENHANCE]

[ENHANCE]

Midget and horrible backbox art aside, the rest of it is fairly classy. The playfield art is inspired by Fritz Lang's Metropolis and actually looks quite good, and the objective is to make shots to bring life to the Maria robot. There's a chamber that holds the robot, and when you complete all your shots, it rotates and reveals Maria. And it plays chiptune Bach music.

But JESUS F'n Christ, that backbox art...

Attachments:
image-22.jpg
image-22.jpg [ 192.38 KiB | Viewed 4912 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:24 pm 

As much as the midget sells this game, I'm thinking of going the custom artwork route and putting this in instead. I did not do the artwork, but I modified the hell out of it to make it fit the color scheme, size, and to add things and remove unwanted elements.

Added some airplanes and search lights in too because there are flash bulbs in the backbox up there.

$50 for custom art, or $100 to replace the original artwork with an unfaded copy.

I'll go custom.

Attachments:
metropolis-fina2.jpg
metropolis-fina2.jpg [ 99.13 KiB | Viewed 4900 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next