It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Humble Bundle
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:28 am 
Cavity

Amazing grouping of games this week. Got them all for a ten dollar donation.
https://www.humblebundle.com/

Post subject: Re: Humble Bundle
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:36 am 

Already being discussed here:
viewtopic.php?p=58262#p58262

But no harm done. Everyone should be buying this.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:09 pm 

Decent Origin bundle happening right now...looks like SimCity 2000 will be added in a few days. Some of these games were free on Origin, but if you missed out, both tiers are a no-brainer.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:31 pm 
Singularity ∞

I already alerted Shoe Jr. to this. That deal is STUPIDLY good and is worth it for the two Dragon Ages alone. The Medal of Honor war chest is pretty great, too.

I have most of those already, but I'm considering it just to get DA2 on the PC. I long ago sold my Xbox copy, and if I get the urge to replay it I can do so with mods and whatnot.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:29 pm 

There are no mods to make Dragon Age II a good game, sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:43 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
Decent Origin bundle happening right now...looks like SimCity 2000 will be added in a few days. Some of these games were free on Origin, but if you missed out, both tiers are a no-brainer.

I know it probably sounds asinine, but having "Origin" exclusives is a real turn off. Steam running in the background is enough for me.

And I know it doesn't matter. But screw you, EA. I dislike EA for reasons I do not understand.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:39 pm 
Singularity ∞

No, it doesn't matter. It makes you sound like one of those insufferable people who knee-jerk about anything EA-related even in video game topics that have nothing to do with them.

I know you're not one of them, just sayin'.

Anyway, there is no need to have Origin running in the background, just as there is no need to have Steam running in the background. Just set it to not auto-start. I don't know why anyone would do anything BUT that.

Origin is no different than Steam. In fact, it generally has some more consumer-friendly policies (like a return policy, which Steam lacks!) and better customer service than Steam.

Hell, EA lets you buy brand new games, and if your system ends up not being able to run it you can get a full refund. Steam doesn't do that.

If you'll gladly jump on Steam games but won't do the same for Origin games because OMG EA IS TEH SUCK, you're being one of those people.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:51 pm 

Yeah, I run Origin, Steam, Uplay and now Rockstar Social Media...obviously not always all at once...but none of these services conflict or give me any issues. I generally don't buy anything from Origin, because they're usually more expensive than Steam, but they give away so much stuff that it's just silly to ignore them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:35 pm 

Humble Bundle Baby Bumpers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:37 am 

Chris Knight wrote:
Yeah, I run Origin, Steam, Uplay and now Rockstar Social Media...obviously not always all at once...but none of these services conflict or give me any issues. I generally don't buy anything from Origin, because they're usually more expensive than Steam, but they give away so much stuff that it's just silly to ignore them.

This. I read so many complaints about Uplay and Origin but they both run fine for me, never a problem. And as Shoe said, Origin actually has customer service, steam has the worst customer service ever.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:22 am 
Singularity ∞

Yeah, I mean, don't get me wrong, I love Steam. Best sales ever, and they've had a lot of years to tweak their system pretty nicely. The community is a good one; I actually find their reviews more helpful than most websites.

But their customer service suuuucks, and it's no more or less a bitch to have on your system as any other game launcher.

I don't have UPlay, but I do have Steam, Origin, and what's the one attached to the Galactic Civ company? Stardock, I think. Though I haven't had need of that one in years.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:21 pm 

Shoe wrote:
No, it doesn't matter. It makes you sound like one of those insufferable people who knee-jerk about anything EA-related even in video game topics that have nothing to do with them.

I know you're not one of them, just sayin'.

Anyway, there is no need to have Origin running in the background, just as there is no need to have Steam running in the background. Just set it to not auto-start. I don't know why anyone would do anything BUT that.

Origin is no different than Steam. In fact, it generally has some more consumer-friendly policies (like a return policy, which Steam lacks!) and better customer service than Steam.

Hell, EA lets you buy brand new games, and if your system ends up not being able to run it you can get a full refund. Steam doesn't do that.

If you'll gladly jump on Steam games but won't do the same for Origin games because OMG EA IS TEH SUCK, you're being one of those people.

I think I have or had Origin installed, but I don't want it running. So basically, opened it once, played The Sims, and never opened it again. I like Steam's Big Picture mode and how it works pretty automatically with my 2nd display in my other room and works with my gaming set-up. Just seems dumb to have this extra program on my PC for 3 or 4 games I might want to play.

I will not install iTunes on my computer. I'm just one of those folks that made some weird exception to Steam for some reason. I don't like "exclusives" and it keeps me from messing around with consoles for the same reason.

I'm also one of those people that has played like 10% of my Steam library, so I'm in no hurry to maintain a separate game library.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:23 pm 
Singularity ∞

If you like strategy games, the Humble Bundle is pretty sick right now. For $1, I just got Company of Heroes complete edition, the Medieval II: Total War collection, the Rome: Total War collection, Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Master Collection, and a Sega collection with four games from the Genesis days.

Obviously lots more if you go for higher levels, but I stuck with just a buck because that's plenty.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:41 pm 

Also Grim Fandango on Android in their mobile bundle!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:31 pm 
Singularity ∞

Oh damn, I didn't notice that!

I'm tempted, but don't know if it'll work on Kindle. Sometimes you can sideload the Android stuff, sometimes you can't.

I can vouch for the Sorcery! game included in that bundle. I've played all three and they were enjoyable twists on text adventures/interactive books. The one being offered, 3, is especially good because it's kind of an 'open world book.' You freely roam the land uncovering the story, solving puzzles, fighting monsters. Great stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:12 am 

I can try it on my Kindle Fire when I have a little more time. I put it on my main tablet and it seemed broken as hell - cutscenes weren't being rendered, and in the remastered version, Manny wasn't being rendered. Old school graphics, and he shows up. But sometimes the sound would be stuttering. So... not sure if this would be a good experience.

Shame because I think the marriage of tablets and point and click-style games is awesome (and they redid Grim so it controls point and click style, rather than with keyboard controls like the original PC version)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:36 am 
Singularity ∞

For those of you who like old school adventure games, this month's bundle is a pretty absurd steal and a half. A collection of 33 Sierra games:

https://www.humblebundle.com/sierra-bundle

I've been struggling with this one. I already own a lot of these via GOG. HOWEVER, the $20 tier nabs you the new King's Quest, which I've had my eye on, and I don't have the Quest for Glory Games or Caesar 4. Also, I own Arcanum twice already (on disc and GOG), but I wouldn't mind a Steam version.

Haven't jumped at it yet, but damn I'm tempted.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:10 am 

Just an FYI, if you're buying this for the old games, just stick with GoG - they offer better support for older games. And they're usually cheaper/same price. If you have OCD, and need all your games in one place, well, then you're an idiot. GoG Galaxy is a nice client, and runs just as smoothly as Steam, uPlay, Origin, etc.

If you're buying it for the new King's Quest title, then it's a steal. Bear in mind, Activision is being a bit of a dick about this bundle...when EA did a mega bundle a couple of years ago, they didn't take a dime, and it all went to charity. If you go with the default pay settings for this bundle, Activision gets $18.75, and the (Activision-managed) charity gets $1.25.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:53 pm 
Singularity ∞

Yo, the classic adventure game Psychonauts is free on Humble Bundle right now:

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/psychonauts

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:14 am 

I took advantage of the deal, then realized it's one of hundreds of games unplayed in my steam library