It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: PS4
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:35 am 
Singularity ∞

That's not bad!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:22 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:06 pm 
Singularity ∞

More of the same, but prettier.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:32 pm 

Not my kind of game, but very pretty.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:36 pm 

The problem with The Forest, and the many other survival/walking-simulator games just like it on Early Access (Steam), is the silly survival gimmick - you have to keep eating...like, constantly. But you do get an axe to chop people up with - which is a lot of fun.

If you like carpentry, you'll love this game.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:55 am 
Singularity ∞

Those are the sort of games I like in theory, but in practice they end up being tedious and frustrating. There is a balance between the tense thrill of trying to survive and the annoying "realism" of having to click on berries and click "eat" every two minutes. Most indie games focused on survival don't manage to find that balance. They're too busy trying to out extreme one another.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:06 pm 

Really, it's the announcement of YAKUZA 5 for the PS3 actually being released overseas after years of Sega screaming "IT IS A JAPANESE SERIES. IT WILL NEVER LEAVE JAPAN." that has me hard as a rock.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:07 pm 

Until Dawn looks fucking stupid.

But it looks like my kind of fucking stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:24 am 
Black Hole

They were hacked.

Change your PSN password if you haven't done so already.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:37 pm 

Is anyone playing Destiny on Xbox One? Because I want to join the party late.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:42 pm 

Can't we just play Dragon Age: Inquisition forever?

You can totally make lesbian elves touch boobs.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:21 am 
Black Hole

JFelix wrote:
You can totally make lesbian elves touch boobs.

Okay, this has me intrigued.

:)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:14 pm 

Also gay dude butts if you're in.

Game rules.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:10 am 
Singularity ∞

At the moment, I'm really happy I have not yet moved on to the next gen. I've got a laundry list of great PS3 games to get, and now they're all under $20. Why upgrade?

In some cases there are bundles at crazy prices. Five full God of War games for $18? Insane. Three Assassin's Creed games. Awesome. Dishonored is down to $15 right now. Cool.

And so on.

Between all that stuff and the PS+ games, I have another year or two of gaming I can get under my belt before moving on to the PS4 or Xbox One.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:58 pm 

I read those prices, and say "Pfft, wasn't Dishonored just $4 on Steam?"

I don't think I'll go console ever again.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:07 pm 
Singularity ∞

Oh Christ, please don't turn into one of those sanctimonious assholes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:59 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Oh Christ, please don't turn into one of those sanctimonious assholes.

Too late. The idea of console exclusives seems so retro and obsolete. Also I will always have a PC. I won't always have 30 consoles laying around. Sold most of them off. Several of them from the last generation just went kaput on me. Dumb!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:12 pm 
Black Hole

Once I went PS4, I wasn't entirely impressed, but once I went PS4 and was forced to go back that did it for me.

PS4 is far superior to anything else out there.

Granted, I wish I could game and make phone calls to order pizza over my gamer headset at the same time I am laying waste to Hive fucking scum on Nightfall with my buds, Zypn and Lucky.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:30 pm 

Pender wrote:

Alright, I'll bite. Why? The only reason the PS4 is even slightly on my radar, is because I'm convinced Rockstar will fuck up the upcoming PC port of GTA V. Otherwise, nothing about that hardware or software feels exciting - and certainly doesn't warrant the price tag.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:28 am 

Chris Knight wrote:
Pender wrote:

Alright, I'll bite. Why? The only reason the PS4 is even slightly on my radar, is because I'm convinced Rockstar will fuck up the upcoming PC port of GTA V. Otherwise, nothing about that hardware or software feels exciting - and certainly doesn't warrant the price tag.

PCs are more expensive, all around. But the thing is, I have a PC. I will until I can't. But I can see that being a hurdle for people. I don't even think troubleshooting/dealing with installs is really a thing these days on the PC, is it? Operating Steam and installing games is really no different than installing games on modern consoles. Though if it's at all like the Xbox 360, they'll force you to change the interface a few times just to confuse you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:38 am 

brian wrote:
PCs are more expensive, all around.

I don't buy that argument. I can buy a 2 year old PC with a warranty, throw a 750Ti in there, and it's faster and cheaper than the PS4. Games are also vastly cheaper for the PC, negating any savings you would keep buying a console.

A console should be about convenience. The reason I still play games on my Dreamcast and Gamecube, is because they boot up and into a game in under 30 seconds. My experience with the PS3 is that a game patch and system update are required, nearly every single time I feel like playing a game - a process that can take up to 5-10 minutes (and requires constant supervision).

Steam made the whole PC gaming experience convenient, and it's that architecture that has left my PS3 collecting dust for over a year (I still haven't opened a PS3 game I got for Christmas 2013).

So, I have no experience using a PS4 - I'm hoping Sony changed the OS to have everything happen in the background - where all I have to do is put a game in, and play the damn thing. That's all it should do. And drop the price to something more in line with 2 year old PCs.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:37 am 

Chris Knight wrote:
brian wrote:
PCs are more expensive, all around.

I don't buy that argument. I can buy a 2 year old PC with a warranty, throw a 750Ti in there, and it's faster and cheaper than the PS4. Games are also vastly cheaper for the PC, negating any savings you would keep buying a console.

Tell me more about this good deal on a 2-year-old PC. I'm running hardware that's pushing 4 or 5 years by this point. My videocard is modern though, so it's running well enough. Youtube/Flash/Firefox tax this computer more than any game does.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:15 am 

dellrefurbished.com. They routinely have 35-40% off coupons (it was 45 percent off during Christmas). They are mint condition off-lease desktops and laptops with 100 day warranties. I have bought dozens of systems from this site over the last 5 years.
I would look at their workstations (a T3500, for instance, with a W35xx/X56xx CPU or equivalent) - these can be had for well under $300, and easily match the speed of a 2014-era i5 cpu - plenty fast enough for gaming.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:19 pm 
Singularity ∞

Chris Knight wrote:
My experience with the PS3 is that a game patch and system update are required, nearly every single time I feel like playing a game - a process that can take up to 5-10 minutes (and requires constant supervision).

Why do you not have it set to do this in the background? My system automatically checks every night for patches and updates, and backs up my save to Sony's cloud. The only time I have to deal with lengthy updates is when I first get a game.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:48 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Chris Knight wrote:
My experience with the PS3 is that a game patch and system update are required, nearly every single time I feel like playing a game - a process that can take up to 5-10 minutes (and requires constant supervision).

Why do you not have it set to do this in the background? My system automatically checks every night for patches and updates, and backs up my save to Sony's cloud. The only time I have to deal with lengthy updates is when I first get a game.

I did not leave my system on 24/7.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:51 pm 
Singularity ∞

brian wrote:

You don't need to. It automatically boots up for a few minutes at your chosen time (mine is set for 4am), checks for updates, then shuts down.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:00 pm 

Shoe wrote:
brian wrote:

You don't need to. It automatically boots up for a few minutes at your chosen time (mine is set for 4am), checks for updates, then shuts down.

Yeah, mine booted up, stayed on all night, and killed my hard drive after a week of doing that. It was good in theory, but my fat PS3 became a space heater with that functionality.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:58 pm 

Shoe wrote:
brian wrote:

I kill the power running to my electronics when I'm not using them. No sense in powering a modem or a device in standby mode when I'm in bed or not home.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:01 pm 
Black Hole

Reasons why I feel the PS4 is fun:

1. You boot and play - no more saving progress or needing to save (leastways not with Destiny, Mordor, or GTAV)

2. The graphics are amazing compared to the PS3 - far smoother, more precise and responsive. I know this because, as I said, I was forced to go back to the PS3 after playing the PS4 for weeks - the PS3 was way more clunky and a lag-fest compared to how smooth the PS4 played

3. Friend functionality is great and the community has plenty of older and more mature stoners and relaxed folk that aren't assholes - I have made about 16 friends and only 2 of those are punks that I likely won't play with again (one of them is a friendly couples' kid from our SB time, so I actually only have randomly found 1 out of 15 people to be a real punk)

4. Zypn is on PS4 - he is a god amongst mortals

5. Sony has proven themselves twice in the last 3 months to be far more caring of their community than Microsoft. First incident was the hardware issues I had with my PS4 - the staff was cool, quick, no BS, and American. Second incident was the whole Lizard hack thing, I was bestowed a 5-day credit for my account - and so was anyone else that had an account during that time

6. I work all day on computers and it's nice to be able to go lay out on the couch, smoke a bowl, drink some alcohol, boot the PS4 and instantly connect with people and game content that are great relaxers. Stuff downloads in the background, so I RARELY have to do maintenance or wait for updates - given, those will vary for others that may have worse interweb speeds than I do, but if your speed is an issue, try running a wired connection

The PS3 was definitely fun and I felt for a long-time that it was "just as good as a PS4" and asked myself the same question as Shoe, "why upgrade? I got a ton of good games with the PS3 - there just isn't a reason to do it."

It took actually playing the PS4 and then going back to the PS3 to understand the actual serious leap in gameplay and conveniences that the PS4 was providing me.

It really shook me.

But, since then, my PS3 has sat in a box, virtually discarded and unwanted.

Computer games are likely fun and all, I know several people that have them, but I really do not want to spend 8-12 hours working on one and then have to spend another 4 hours on one so I can game.

The point of gaming for me is to relax and I can't do that if I am playing in the same fucking office as I am working most of the day.

Your situation and rewards may vary, but the overall PS4 system speed, responsiveness, and accuracy compared to the PS3 has convinced me that the PS3 is an old stud that needs to be shot and made into glue.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:19 pm 

Pender wrote:
Computer games are likely fun and all, I know several people that have them, but I really do not want to spend 8-12 hours working on one and then have to spend another 4 hours on one so I can game.

I get it and I don't. A modern PC acts like a console. If you're on the other side of the house, yeah, sure. But I've got mine which I can boot up into "Big Picture Mode" on Steam and it functions just like a console, I use a 360 controller, games get played on my 2nd AV out on the PC so it automatically goes to my stereo and projector, and I play in the next room. It's kind of sweet.

PS4 does look kind of sexy though. I don't understand why people would get the Xbox Next (I'm calling it that, fuck their Xbone marketing)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:35 am 
Black Hole

brian wrote:
Pender wrote:

I get it and I don't. A modern PC acts like a console. If you're on the other side of the house, yeah, sure. But I've got mine which I can boot up into "Big Picture Mode" on Steam and it functions just like a console, I use a 360 controller, games get played on my 2nd AV out on the PC so it automatically goes to my stereo and projector, and I play in the next room. It's kind of sweet.

PS4 does look kind of sexy though. I don't understand why people would get the Xbox Next (I'm calling it that, fuck their Xbone marketing)

I could see where these might be a good option for some (dissing the keyboard, having a secondary AV solution, etc.), but I feel that console gaming still wins the day for me.

Not only do I not have the resources to create a system which you use, brian, but I also would be missing out on a lot of the social aspects that I currently enjoy with the PS4.

As I said, I know people on the PS4 - people that have become friends to me, not the least of which is Zypn.

Since I no longer have D&D, really - or, at least, have not rebuilt the D&D part of my life - I find the PS4 allows me to have time with people I enjoy gaming with.

This is not to say that you can't get similar groups going on other machines, but it is to say that the majority of the people (for better or worse) use the PS4 to game and not their laptops or desktops.

There is a psychological separation from work for me (not just physical), especially since I can just close the office door in my home and not open it again for a whole day. And when you roll out of bed and walk right into your work office 20 feet from your bedside, that psychological division is important and healthy for me.

Additionally, I would not have been able to enjoy Destiny all this time, instead I would be hoping for its release date on PC and wondering if I could join in with people like Zypn.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:28 pm 
Singularity ∞

Already being a slave to the PC is one of the reasons why my PC gaming has slowed dramatically. I've been computer gaming since the '80s, in the '90s was subscribed to every PC gaming mag there was, in the '00s was on board with the rise of digital distro. I have more PC games than I do games for every other system combined (not counting emulation, natch).

But for fuck's sake, I'm already behind a keyboard for upwards of 12 hours a day. It's got to be damn special to keep me there. A new Civ game, for example. Otherwise, I want to get AWAY from the goddamn keyboard, not be locked behind it even longer.

Cost wise PC gaming has generally had close to zero buy-in costs for me, so that's kind of a non-issue. I'm going to have a computer regardless. I'm not worried about playing the latest games, so I don't worry about having an up-to-date rig. Sometimes when I spec out a new tower I'll make sure it has a slightly upgraded video card, but that's about it.

I mean, hell, in some ways that's better. You're not worried about the latest games since you can't play them, anyway, so you focus on games that are a few years old. On PC, that means they're going to be dirt ass cheap. Pricing on PC game bundles is ridiculously good.

That DOES mean, of course, that for new games I really want to play right freakin' now -- say, Dragon Age: Inquisition or something like that -- I'll almost always take console over PC, since my PC isn't likely to run anything even close to cutting edge.

Same with any game that is likely to result in marathon gaming sessions. Elder Scrolls games, for instance. I still get the PC versions so I can play with mods, but since Oblivion I do the bulk of my ES playing on the console, switching to the PC version just for add-ons and the like. Otherwise, I don't want to be locked behind a keyboard for three hours at a stretch.

I do retro gaming on the laptop while lying in bed, so there is that, too. Older RPGs and adventure games, that sort of thing. But even that's sporadic, since I have handhelds and tablets for that sort of thing, too, and small puzzle games are better than classic PC RPGs when laying in bed.

PC has the best strategy games, always and forever, so it will always have a place in my gaming rotation, seeing as strategy games are one of my favorite genres (if my THE favorite). Give me a great 4x strat game and I'm in heaven. Galactic Civilizations 2? SimCity? Civilization? Masters of Orion? Heroes of Might & Magic? Anything at all by Sid Meier?

I am fucking there, baby.

What I hate, though, are PC Master Race people. Holy fuck are they ever obnoxious. Just another toxic part of an already toxic gaming community. The funny thing is, they present themselves as above it all, but they're just as bad as the idiots who have fights over which console is better. In some ways they're worse. Playing My Side against Your Side when it comes to consoles is bad enough as it is. Throw in the condescension and arrogance of the Master Race people and you have a recipe for creating horrid people.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:13 pm 

Am I part of the master race?

I am not a gamer. I play games. One to three A-list titles a year, otherwise platformers/casual games/whatever I get get for pennies or dollars that I play once in a blue moon. Sounds like you're super passionate about the gaming community, Shoe.

Maybe you all play more games than me, I don't know. As Shoe notes, I already have the hardware, it's what convinced me to ditch consoles (along with having the 360 hardware fail me twice, and the ps3 once - all my marketplace items are tied up in a system that's broken. Useless. Also the horrific realization that my console/game collection felt more like a burden and my origin of being a true hoarder...)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:46 pm 
Singularity ∞

brian wrote:
Am I part of the master race?

I don't think so. That's why I said don't turn into one of them above. 'Cause you're not.

It's easy to become one of them, though. Not that I think you would; you don't strike me as that kind of guy.
Quote:
Sounds like you're super passionate about the gaming community, Shoe.

Passionate only insomuch as I hate the gaming community.

I DO love video games, though. I don't know if I'd call myself super passionate about them. You're not going to find me going to cons or vlogging at length about them or something, but I do love them. Played them my whole life and will until my fingers don't work anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:57 pm 
Black Hole

So, I guess I adopted another kid.

This time it is like a 10 or 12 year-old kid.

Seems nice enough, but really inhibits and harshes my high times.

He has joined me uninvited a few times - and he tends to send me invites over and over.

The only thing we had in common was that his PSN also starts with the word KILLER.

I helped him today, but I am seriously considering dumping him from my list.

These days, it is far too dangerous for an adult to associate with a child in any way shape or form.

No matter how disconnected you try to remain.

Thoughts?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next