It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:34 am 
Pollution Baby

$50 says that GAS/M grew up on scetti with ketchup and butter.

When I used to play online stuff with random people building up teams, the worst thing that ever happened was a born again christian thinking he was linking up with 'like minded people' because my server was 'My Brothers Keep'.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:07 am 
Black Hole

This is typical of most gamers I have met online - total emotional, unstable, rage quitter.

It's still funny hear them lose their shit.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:21 am 

This is why I do not play with complete strangers. Aside from TF2 and CS - but I keep that on mute, and my life expectancy is about 8 seconds anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:31 pm 
Canyon

And that's why I don't even have an XBL Gold or Playstation Plus account anyone. I have lost any desire to play online with anyone. Including family. Gaming has just never been that much of a social thing for me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:33 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
This is why I do not play with complete strangers. Aside from TF2 and CS - but I keep that on mute, and my life expectancy is about 8 seconds anyway.

Why have we not played CS?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:44 pm 

I don't think I've played with anyone here...I thought you all had xboxes...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:47 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
I don't think I've played with anyone here...I thought you all had xboxes...

I play CS everyday. Steam ID.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:54 pm 

videoworx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:28 pm 
Singularity ∞

Chris Knight wrote:
I thought you all had xboxes...

In addition to PCs. I'm pretty sure more than half of us game on PCs, too. I do. Al does. Brian does. Pretty sure Cru does. Damian does.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:29 pm 
Singularity ∞

Downhuman wrote:
Gaming has just never been that much of a social thing for me.

Only unless it's in person, yeah. I've had some great nights gaming online, but that was a long time ago. Much as I enjoyed it, I don't like feeling obligated to someone else's schedule. My gaming time is my down time, and I like to spend that down time enjoying some isolation.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:55 pm 
Singularity ∞

Jimmy Kimmel pokes fun at the idea of entire channels devoted to watching other people play video games. The response is predictable. They're especially funny around the 3:30-4:30 mark:

The stick up the video game community's collective ass is large enough to make a redwood look like a toothpick.

Yeah, maybe Kimmel is out of touch, but who gives a shit? He's a talk show host looking for something to joke about and his bit on the topic was totally harmless.

:roll:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:15 pm 

I have a friend who runs a YouTube channel where he uploads videos of himself playing video games (mostly GTA V these days). He started it a few years ago, and now has quite a few subscribers, and is even recognized by people when he goes grocery shopping. He makes an ungodly amount of money from this. I really had no idea how easy it is to make that kind of money on YouTube.

He keeps it simple, and never brings up politics, religion, or news events. He never offers negative opinions on anything, aside from his own abilities as a gamer. And he never reads any comments on his videos. There's plenty of articles on gamers quitting their channels after reading comments about themselves on YouTube and Reddit. It's not a nice community at all. But if you can stand the heat, it's a fucking goldmine.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:04 pm 
Black Hole

Twitch also has a goldmine for videos while gaming.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:02 am 
Black Hole

I guess I am weird because I actually like watching some of the channels of people playing the games that I play - specifically: Destiny.

At first I was fairly dismissive of the whole idea of watching people play the game, but once I got into Destiny I started watching one channel of a guy that actually was helping others to get through one of the most difficult parts of the game. A part that typically required a team of three people to get the rewards.

Here was a guy that specifically had made a commitment to helping others overcome one of the hardest parts of the game (a part that really no longer exists now, due to it being so fucking hard a lot of people quit).

Then, later on I would watch other channels to see how other people were overcoming certain challenges, boss fights, or just to watch extremely skilled gamers solo the game.

Now, I watch a stream for anywhere between a few minutes here or there to watching for upwards of an hour about once a week.

Some channels are just watching for the gamer grrls brazenly displayed boobs, other is for actual game research, and even more rarely I watch for games I don't own but I am kinda interested in.

But on the other hand, I realize how incredibly stupid it must seem to non-gamers to do this (watch people game).

It is the classic D&D dude that gets a new girlfriend and she wants to watch her boyfriend play. Well, watching a game of D&D is like watching paint dry. Even I have only rarely watched a game of D&D (and that includes the professionally broadcast games).

I also equate it to watching fencing. I love fencing. I was once a junior Olympic fencing contender (probably one of the most horrible times of my life was being forced to abandon my fencing opportunity because my mother was running from her past and I was forced to move away from my coach and lost the opportunity). But, most people can't even see what is happening in a fencing match and add in the various swords just complicates things beyond the realm of 99.999% of the planet's population. Every Olympics though, I hope to see the bouts broadcast.

On the other hand, Kimmels' take on this is funny as hell.

I hope he slams the shit out of the most offended, because what he did was funny.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:16 am 
Singularity ∞

I don't get it myself, and I've been playing video games for 35 years, though I guess I can see how others are into it, maybe, sorta.

The one thing I've used Twitch for is to see gameplay of games I'm curious about, even if I have no intention of buying or playing them. I've watched a few minutes of stuff like Dark Souls and Day Z.

I have a friend, my age, who watches this shit all the time. It's his TV.

That I don't understand.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:50 am 
Black Hole

Shoe wrote:
I don't get it myself, and I've been playing video games for 35 years, though I guess I can see how others are into it, maybe, sorta.

The one thing I've used Twitch for is to see gameplay of games I'm curious about, even if I have no intention of buying or playing them. I've watched a few minutes of stuff like Dark Souls and Day Z.

I have a friend, my age, who watches this shit all the time. It's his TV.

That I don't understand.

Yeah, I can't really have it as my TV since my TV is a plasma and the displays are worse than CNN, so when I do run them, they tend to cause burn-in if I let them run too long.

The part I don't get is people that send money to the people hosting the streams.

I don't get that part.

Why would anyone send these people money?

But it happens; a lot.

I mean, in the 30 minutes or so that I may watch someone (if they're one of the more popular personalities), they will yank up donations left and right. Additionally, because they are donations, I bet they are all tax free - which totally makes a $20 donation worth upwards of $30 or $40 depending on their overall take for each year.

Craziness.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:01 am 

Well, the donations are secondary - the main income is from the pay-per-views which YouTube handles.

Socialblade is an amazing resource for tracking what YouTube channels are earning...PewDiePie, for instance, is making a minimum of $75k/month from his views, and it's usually ten to fifteen times that amount.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:10 am 
Black Hole

Chris Knight wrote:
Well, the donations are secondary - the main income is from the pay-per-views which YouTube handles.

Socialblade is an amazing resource for tracking what YouTube channels are earning...PewDiePie, for instance, is making a minimum of $75k/month from his views, and it's usually ten to fifteen times that amount.

My experience is with Twitch, only.

I haven't watched any of the YouTube gaming channels.

I have to say, though, people watch some weird shit. My wife is addicted to watching the food channels and networks. I just don't understand the obsession with it. Sure, sometimes it is kind of cool to watch a cooking show (MasterChef, Iron Chef, Hell's kitchen, etc.) - but to watch it as a default option? Not my bag.

Watching nothing but cooking all the time? No.

Watching people build shit all the time? No.

Watching people be "famous" rich people? No.

Watching people race around in a car in a circle all the time? No.

Watching people play golf all the time? No.

Even the whole Jimmy Kimmel show premise - some people are addicted to watching late night TV shows like that - but it all really boils down to this: Is watching anything on TV (or over a computer stream) really justifiable as "worthwhile" when compared to actually getting out there and doing something "real" with your life?

I think the answer is going to always be a "no" and that is the crux of any question of the nature of watching shit on TV.

I think it is also why many people say "kill your TV".

8-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:11 am 

It's a manipulation technique that dates back eons. Daytime soap operas and pro wrestling have been using this technique with television since the 1940s. Reality TV - and by extension - video game plays on Twitch and YouTube, are absolutely no different. The subject matter and conflict/resolution is secondary. All you need is relatable characters for people to either cheer AND jeer for. As soon as you have someone hooked, they will watch paint dry. There's nothing wrong with this in moderation, but YouTube and cable TV have extended the exposure of these shows to 24/7 streams. And that is pretty unhealthy for growing brains (and, yes, a complete waste of time for adults).

If you haven't, watch one episode of Storage Wars on A&E, a perfect example of non-consequential subject matter. At the end of the 1st episode, you will ask yourself how anyone can sit through garbage like this. However, watch 5 episodes in a row, and your brain will actively want to watch one more*. Only one more, what's the harm? This is why marathons of reality shows are huge ratings grabs. And why Netflix now dumps entire seasons of TV shows in your queue at once. And why video game play videos on YouTube and Twitch are the most-viewed streams online.

*Your brain releases endorphins when you shift from active to passive viewing. So, YouTube gamers have realized that limiting game plays to 10-12 minutes forces their audience to hit the anti-snooze bar, actively selecting what to do between videos. This switch-over keeps releasing chemicals into the brain, and it encourages long-term "addictive" viewership. TV commercial breaks on television do something a bit similar (actually, they are downright evil), which is why they have been steadily increasing in quantity over the last 50 years.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:26 am 
Black Hole

Chris Knight wrote:
It's a manipulation technique that dates back eons....

Possibly.

The gamer channels I watch (and I just watched some for lunch today since a large update is launching today) don't have characters outside of their hosts, really.

I paid more attention to how I was watching and realized that it is kind of more akin to a radio talk show than it was actual TV. At least, today was more that way since I was wanting to watch for any updates on anything people may have heard or seen with the update.

The host interacts with his chat feed. I am not sure how/why people even bother trying to get a chat to the host when there are literally thousands of other people using the same chat. The chat feed for the more popular channels is like a constant flow of shit: Shit-talking, shit-commenting, shit, shit, shit.

But the hosts usually filter through and get to one comment per hundred or several hundred.

And then they will run with that for a while.

Today was mostly about the update, how it will impact the game before the new DLC next week, etc.

There really aren't episodes on the channels I watch.

Again, it really does seem to be more like a talk radio show.

I also have no problem just running it in the background and do other things until I hear a keyword in the conversation. If one channel proves too boring, I move on to the next one and so forth.

Now, other people may use the channels for viewing that is far different than mine - but it is my take on it and I made sure to pay special attention to how I did it today.

8-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:30 am 

By "characters", I'm referring specifically to the hosts*. You go back to the same channel again and again, because of familiarity, and the repetition of behaviour by the hosts relaxes you. If the hosts were annoying, you would have turned it off and found some other feed to go to.

*On a cooking competition show, for instance, the "characters" are the judges. Nobody cares about the contestants.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:39 am 
Black Hole

Chris Knight wrote:
By "characters", I'm referring specifically to the hosts*. You go back to the same channel again and again, because of familiarity, and the repetition of behaviour by the hosts relaxes you. If the hosts were annoying, you would have turned it off and found some other feed to go to.

*On a cooking competition show, for instance, the "characters" are the judges. Nobody cares about the contestants.

I find all the game channel hosts annoying.

:lol:

I watch them for the information that I can get about the game more than anything (probably why I end up changing channels often).

Sometimes I will watch a female host because she is showing off her breasts.

But, yeah.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:47 pm 
Singularity ∞

Chris Knight wrote:
This is why marathons of reality shows are huge ratings grabs.

My wife can destroy an entire weekend day watching episode after episode of those house hunting shows. Sometimes I think she's only barely paying attention, sort of in a glazed over trance rather than actively watching, but once she's locked in many hours can slide by.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:02 am 
Black Hole

This weekend, Saturday, I was playing Destiny (no surprise there) when one of my regulars asked me to join him to help him carry a couple people through a flawless raid.

Flawless means that no one dies.

Raid is typically some of the hardest content in the game.

Problem?

The two people he wanted to carry were very low-level and neither had even played the raid we were attempting. Now, granted that this was the "easiest" of all the current raid content, but still - to ask us to do this? Well, because I knew the one guy, I told him I would help - knowing that it would sink a good two hours or more of my play time.

So, now that I was playing - HERE COMES THE DICK PART.

The main guy (Doctor Death) we were helping had introduced Destiny to my gamer friend (D-Dog). After the first hour or so, Doctor Death sent me a friend request and I accepted out of courtesy to D-Dog.

By the second hour I had learned that Doctor Death is a cop here in Austin - that he was home playing video games on paid administrative leave. And that he was not on the job against his will (voicing some hinted anger at his higher ups). Definitely some warning bells going off - but nothing major yet.

The flawless raid attempt ended without success after over 2 hours.

Sunday rolls around and I am online but AFK while I cleaned the kitchen, gave the dogs their meds, fed the dogs, made dinner for the wife and me, and then ate. I come back to 3 messages. All from Doctor Death.

The first one is a real name request.

Uh, no.

I've seen the stats on cops that use their Government identity software to run names that are not authorized to run (e.g., ex-wives, neighbors, etc.) and there is no way I am giving a cop my name without being forced to.

The next two messages were invites to join his fire team to play some mission in the game.

I sent my friend, D-Dog, a message that his cop friend was hassling me. He responded saying that Doctor Death was a needy person. I thanked him for including me in nightmare situation.

During this short time, I got another 5 messages from Doctor Death.

8 messages in the span of less than 10 minutes.

Gamer etiquette had been violated and, to top it off, the guy that was being a dick was a local cop on some sort of administrative leave against his will.

I unfriended him and blocked him.

If some jackboots knock down my door, shoot my dogs, rape my wife, and kill me in a jail cell - please let people know that this dick cop is likely a suspect.

Thank you.

8-)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:23 am 
Black Hole

UPDATE - Seeing as D-Dog and I are friends on Facebook, I spent the last 30 minutes researching his 380 friends until I found one that had a penchant for a LOT of Death-themed imagery (his gamer tag of "Doctor Death" is a huge clue), stated he worked for Austin City, and had several police images on his account.

I blocked him from seeing me on FB, too.

The danger still exists.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:20 am 
Pollution Baby

Nothing worse than a bad cop with free time and an imaginary vendetta. Good luck.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:19 am 

Ericubus wrote:
Nothing worse than a bad cop with free time and an imaginary vendetta.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:40 pm 
Black Hole

Monterey Jack wrote:
UNLAWFUL ENTRY

Yep, pretty much how I felt it going - never give a cop your identity. Ever.

Especially when they are obsessed with death and currently on paid administrative leave.

Fuck that. And fuck them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:11 am 
Singularity ∞

Some jackass Youtuber with a long history of being a jackass decides some nice 62-year-old man who streams on Twitch -- he plays games with live streaming video for others to watch, for those who don't know Twitch (apparantly it's a big thing) -- this jackass decides the old guy is a pedophile and unleashes his followers on the guy.

The old guy is doxxed, her personal information is spread everywhere and he's told to kill himself, he's a pedo, etc.

Except the information was wrong. Guy is brought to tears.

I didn't watch this whole thing because screw wasting 10 minutes of my life with this, but here is stuff about it:

Toxic community filled with toxic people.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:12 am 
Black Hole

Shoe wrote:
I didn't watch this whole thing....

Toxic community filled with toxic people.

I did. I watched the whole thing.

Fortunately the person that was attacked is not shown too much, but I am still hurt by watching the suffering of another.

I have often thought about Twitching/streaming to try to get some extra cash flow and just to have fun, but I think about my age and how ultimately cruel this world is towards the "older" folks.

If you're not a millennial (or somewhere close to it), you should not be streaming.

At just over 50, I know that opening myself up to the cruelty of the gaming community would be like tossing a blood-covered puppy into a shark tank.

Holy fuck, people are cruel.

The comments are coming in on this video are looking for blood, too.

Cruel, cruel, cruel people.

:(

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:35 am 

That's a bullshit excuse not to use YouTube/Twitch. Plenty of "old" people stream gaming videos, and have a very good time with it (dadcubed on YouTube is hilarious and very popular). You can't avoid the hate, but that's true of anyone that puts themselves in the public eye. Every successful gamer (regardless of age) on YouTube and Twitch has to deal with daily death threats, hacking attempts, and every ridiculous group that gets offended by anything they say.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:48 am 
Black Hole

Chris Knight wrote:
That's a bullshit excuse not to use YouTube/Twitch. Plenty of "old" people stream gaming videos, and have a very good time with it (dadcubed on YouTube is hilarious and very popular). You can't avoid the hate, but that's true of anyone that puts themselves in the public eye. Every successful gamer (regardless of age) on YouTube and Twitch has to deal with daily death threats, hacking attempts, and every ridiculous group that gets offended by anything they say.

Maybe.

This video just had me really confront the negative part of the prospect for me, I guess. And it does play into a lot of the negative thoughts I've had when I start looking at the best way for me to go about it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:52 pm 

Pender wrote:
Fortunately the person that was attacked is not shown too much, but I am still hurt by watching the suffering of another.

Holy fuck, people are cruel.

Elmo Oxygen wrote:
I didn't think you'd have any free time to read old threads, since you were so busy... playing the creepy kidnapper Paul Dano role in Prisoners.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:54 pm 

The only old person allowed on Twitch is Bob Ross and, honestly, I kind of respect that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:24 pm 
Singularity ∞

Had lunch with a friend yesterday who is friends with one of the bigger video game-related Youtubers. The guy makes 300k a year through Youtube.

The good part of the story is that apparently the guy hates it. He hates it because he doesn't like the people. Thinks the video game community is awful, full of whiny, juvenile bigots and stereotypical basement dwellers. Hates interacting with them, hates a big chunk of his audience.

But 300k a year.

So he bites his tongue and soldiers on even though he thinks video game players are horrible people, because he's not going to make that living another way.

It delighted me to hear that.

:thumbs:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next