It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:58 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:07 pm 
HMFIC

Now, see, that guy? I can completely see him wearing an "I hate coffee (and fangirls)" t-shirt because he's actually scared witless of any girl who isn't a chicken-footed alien video game character. And he may rape chickens.

Looked up dickwolves. So at least I've learned something today.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:12 pm 
Singularity ∞

Believe me, if it were just a tasteless joke or risque satire I wouldn't have batted an eye. I love that stuff.

This actual sentiment, though, is fairly pervasive in some geek circles, even among "adult" men. There are some really unwelcoming elements in nerdworld, especially in video game and comic circles, and they get crazily defensive if you dare point out that maybe, just maybe, there is a loud minority of misogynists tainting nerdworld.

That's why I think it warrants being called out. It's not about that one specific shirt, which may or may not have been satire -- believe me, those attitudes don't just exist, they're relatively common and open -- it's about the whole mentality.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:48 pm 

well, fuck those guys.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:51 pm 
HMFIC

Shoe wrote:
This actual sentiment, though, is fairly pervasive in some geek circles, even among "adult" men.

...but which sentiment? Hating women? Or hating "fangirls"?

Because if we're talking about Justin Bieber fangirls, I can't say I disagree.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:02 pm 

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/when- ... 1100-4006/

This was two years ago, but it is pretty good if you wanna feel sad about gaming culture.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:10 pm 

I'm gonna be over here playing Octodad and giggling, by the by. Video games are so awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:52 pm 

I played Bloons TD4 for 3 hours today... :loser:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:37 pm 
Singularity ∞

Eric wrote:
Shoe wrote:
This actual sentiment, though, is fairly pervasive in some geek circles, even among "adult" men.

...but which sentiment? Hating women? Or hating "fangirls"?

Because if we're talking about Justin Bieber fangirls, I can't say I disagree.

Girls who have the audacity to consider themselves a part of the nerd commnity, equal or otherwise. Eye candy is okay as long as it knows its role. Women who make the mistake of suggesting there might be some misogyny in the geek commnity are bombarded with rape threats. So just good clean fun, you know?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:48 am 
HMFIC

Shoe wrote:
Girls who have the audacity to consider themselves a part of the nerd commnity, equal or otherwise. Eye candy is okay as long as it knows its role. Women who make the mistake of suggesting there might be some misogyny in the geek commnity are bombarded with rape threats. So just good clean fun, you know?

I think I'm bogging down in terminology here, since I've heard "fangirl" used with and without negative context (same with "fanboy"). I've done some more reading since yesterday, and it seems very clear that the garbage you're discussing exists. I'm just not absolutely sure this shirt is it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:41 am 
Pollution Baby

A very good overarching article on the subject.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/11/01/alanis-morissette-on-why-america-must-embrace-the-feminine.html

Quote:
Why America Must Embrace the Feminine
Alanis Morissette 2012-11-01

In 1995, I was thrust into the role of reluctant, flag-waving feminist and emotionally-focused artist/advocate. Overnight, I was being asked to lunch by feminists the world over, and yet I was not in any way objective about my place or contribution to this latest rising of the divine feminine in our culture.

Certainly, I had the raw qualities to take on this role. Yet, in my mind, all I had done was semi-naively write a record that mattered to me, and more importantly, mattered to ALL parts (emotional, psychological, spiritual, intellectual and otherwise) of me: Jagged Little Pill.

For me, the conversation around this record wound up being an inadvertent commentary on what was happening with the feminine aspects in our culture at the time. Perhaps because the album spoke to the money/fame, perpetual youth-hungry, might-is-right American dream paradigm (i.e.: it broke records, won awards and made bank) the empowered feminine (incorporating emotionality, fiery-kali anger, vulnerability and tenderness, to name a few) was being given a say in a culture in a way it seemed not to have been in days past.

The scales were still dramatically tipped, in 1995, toward the disempowered-male, masculine approach to life, yet there was this whisper of a portended, more integrated future that gave rise to femininity being given its chance by the industry. Now instead of hearing, “Well, we’re already playing a woman on our radio station,” the album was welcomed.

This change showed up in many socio-political environments, most notably and stunningly around the topic of legally recognizing same-sex marriage—the discussion alone of which requires openness, powerful femininity, and leanings toward “win-win”—all aspects of Femininity (as I like to capitalize Her).

The ideal vision, in theory, would be to find the delicate and meaningful blend of both the masculine and feminine, and the acceptance of the fact that we all fall somewhere unique on this continuum … and that it is a continuum.

The embodiment of the empowered feminine and masculine, in theory, would “show up” in people who possess varying degrees of both qualities. The most important part being that what we had on our hands was less a gender war, and more of a resistance to the masculine or feminine within each of us.

The 1990s offered a glimmer of hope as the feminine side was beginning to be explored—with less apology—in music, film, and comedy (all known for their masculine-centricity).

I was part of a wave of musician/activists (the crest!) that started with many of my fore-sisters: Patti Smith, Carole King, Joni Mitchell, and closer to my generation, Sinead O’Connor, Tori Amos, PJ Harvey and Courtney Love.

It is a brave act indeed for both men and women to embrace, rather than shame or attempt to eradicate the feminine.

With all the fever-pitched, PTSD-producing mayhem that touching on a crackling zeitgeist can yield (aka the “success” of and ensuing tour for Jagged Little Pill), I found everyone telling me what a huge responsibility I had; that I needed to use this fame to support the emergence of the divine feminine, to turn the feminine frown upside down, so to speak; to put the crown back on her shiny-haired head! It was very daunting and exciting. And while I had some semblance of objectivity of where we had come from, culturally, and where we could well be going, I was still subject to the patriarchy, misogyny, and chauvinism that I was being commissioned to help comment on, and ultimately, help eradicate.

Whether it was inappropriate use of power by so-called mentors—which I sing about in a song called “Hands Clean”—or the art-killing “violence” that involves working as a sensitive and vulnerable young artist with a bevy of suit-wearing, agenda-to-exploit archetypes whom I rail against in “Right Through You,” I felt it in the professional, romantic, political, and personal contexts alike. The main message was: the feminine is dangerous, and must be snuffed out within and without us, alike.

I—along with so many other brazen women—became a target of the unrest around the rupture we all felt about disassociating from the feminine. Whether I reminded people of their moms, their ex-girlfriends, or their sisters, one thing was certain: this was barely personal. For how could it be? The most vocal of the aggressors didn’t even know me.

While I did have a propensity for Joan of Arc brazenness (Passion! Willingness! Feistiness! God-love! Sincerity!), I didn’t have the wisdom, age, or objectivity enough in the ’90s to be thrust into the front lines of a movement, especially with the movement itself being in such a fragile place. It seemed we were at a fork in the road, with the feminine being potentially extolled and exalted for its connection-inducing liberation, or, in the opposite direction, being feared, hated and snuffed back into submission. Yikes, ouch, and … help!

The movement seemed to split off somewhere in the ’90s into two very different directions: one was going the way of empowerment, the other, in the direction of further disempowerment, with an aggressive downward turn back toward the feminine being shamed, mocked, and outright abused.

Slowly it became clear that we have not been fighting each other in a “gender war”—as it became so popularly known as—nor that the “war” was personal in any way. What we really had been fighting was the idea that feminine and masculine are inextricably linked and dependent upon each other, and that it is the act of embracing these contra-sexual parts of ourselves that offered the peaceful and inspired future that we all say we long for.

Much of this clarity is found by looking no further than the people who are in the audience at my shows, or hearing about bullying stories, or reading about how stress and depression are the leading killers in America, seeing that same-sex marriage is still disallowed in so many places, and most recently, witnessing my very own self, continuing to sing “You Oughta Know” with more passion than ever before. There began to be a through-line to all these stories: It is the feminine within these stories that the patriarchy has attempted, and still attempts, to get rid of.

So it becomes less about “men hating women/women hating men” and becomes more about the fear and loathing of the feminine within our own hearts and minds, regardless of gender or sexual orientation. Importantly and secondarily, it’s the disempowerment of both the masculine and the feminine that is also the culprit here.

What has been grossly overlooked throughout age immemorial is that both aspects need each other for wholeness! And that unification of both, in all its forms, (meaning peace, connection, healing, inspiration, prosperity of all kinds) is our birthright.

So the idea of true partnership and connection (inner and outer)—which so many are saying is the way of the future and will ultimately stave off the destruction of our planet—requires an empowered version of both the masculine (action, generosity, solution, confidence, boldness, industry, strength etc.) and the feminine (vulnerability, tenderness, yielding, humility, grace, intuition, heart, etc.) aspects to come together, seeing the need for the other. And that this unification and complement will show up in every area of our lives: work, romance, family, health, business, art, and even politics.

So as it turns out, it’s the disempowerment of the masculine and the fear of the feminine in us that is patriarchy. The fear of this delicate and fierce feminine has more to do with our fear of being vulnerable again, getting hurt again, than it does by our actual distaste for the beauty of the feminine and Her qualities. But our avoidance and resistance to Her is torturing men and women alike, and tearing apart the fabric of what could be a very harmonious society.

Liberation is only possible with the integration of these two aspects, equally respected for their unique and powerful contribution. Not in evidencing these qualities equally every day by homogenizing and overriding our unique essential temperaments (not possible!) and contexts, but rather simply accepting these parts, even loving them, in ourselves, and in others.

Creating inner partnership between both the masculine and feminine would render us all humanists, life-ists, and wholeness-ists, rather than patriarch-ists or feminists/matriarchists.

The feminine has been lost within our stories about who God is, which has turned sex into a domination/submission at times addictive power play, perpetuated a work-addicted money/fame/youth hungry society, and put us at odds with some of the most powerful emotional/intuitive parts of our natural selves.

So in the face of patriarchy, it is a brave act indeed for both men and women to embrace, rather than shame or attempt to eradicate the feminine. Whether it’s by keeping art programs alive in schools, respecting and compensating artists and teachers well, risking being more vulnerable in our relationships, more transparent in our businesses, living more communally, creating more rest and rejuvenation in our lifestyles, redefining God by including the feminine, or redefining what enough means to us (so that not every waking moment is spent making money/ego gratifying fame more important than our relationships), or shifting the cultural/political arenas to skew toward win-win rather than win-lose … we have before us a powerful mending of our birthright union.

And so, by accepting and embracing the feminine within us, and flying in the face of an overly masculinized (of the disempowered variety) society (with all of its disconnected and lonely results), we support this empowered and connected brave new world we all dream of, and, allow this union to serve as a direct portal to the Divine.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:02 am 

Saw who wrote it, decided not to read it. #Misgony.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:20 am 
Pollution Baby

JFelix wrote:
Don't be dissin' Alanis.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:43 am 
Singularity ∞

Ericubus wrote:
JFelix wrote:
Don't be dissin' Alanis.

Considering Felix's stance on sexism, it's kind of ironic he refused to read it, dontcha think?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:49 am 
Pollution Baby

Shoe wrote:
Ericubus wrote:
JFelix wrote:
Don't be dissin' Alanis.

Considering Felix's stance on sexism, it's kind of ironic he refused to read it, dontcha think?
All I really want is for everyone to read a great article, you oughta know that. Oh! Wait! You were just referring to her song 'Ironic', well, I see right through you, Mr. Shoe.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:07 pm 
Singularity ∞

Ericubus wrote:
Shoe wrote:
All I really want is for everyone to read a great article, you oughta know that. Oh! Wait! You were just referring to her song 'Ironic', well, I see right through you, Mr. Shoe.

You're onto me! I thought I'd throw off the scent by typing that post with one hand in my pocket, but it didn't work. Oh well. I guess you live, you learn.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:18 pm 
Pollution Baby

Shoe wrote:
Ericubus wrote:
Shoe wrote:

You're onto me! I thought I'd throw off the scent by typing that post with one hand in my pocket, but it didn't work. Oh well. I guess you live, you learn.
Now that is ironic. The original 'shoegaze' misses the obvious 'Hand in My Pocket' connection.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:04 pm 
Singularity ∞

Back to the topic real quick. This is timely. Female writer criticizes a comic book cover. Inevitably, she gets blasted for it. And inevitably, she gets rape threats:

http://m.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/j ... m=facebook

Welcome, ladies!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:08 pm 

Quote:
The fans that want to scare women off with rape threats are doing the reverse: We’re digging in our heels and shouting from the rooftops that we will not leave.

:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:42 pm 
Pollution Baby

-::- IRONY ALERT -::-

Quote:
I'm one of thousands of women getting threatened with rape online. But for some reason my story resonated with comics pros and fans.
...because she's kinda cute.

Irony alert over.

It's male empowerment, and isolation rage, and anonymity courage, and a whole bunch of ugly things and misguided things, but I really do think much of the problem is on both sides. We, as a race, need to embrace both the feminine and masculine in ourselves and stop demonizing both and over glorifying both. With nerd culture, real nerd culture, it gets into those involved being very protective of this very personal thing, and many times that thing is also an escape from 'others'. They want it and claim it for themselves and any perceived intruders are viciously attacked in the manner they have available to them. Ya, I like those tits that way, and fuck you for saying I'm wrong to like it.

P.S. Original article about the article with links the the actual original article.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:37 am 
Singularity ∞

Rampant rape threats have prompted one of the largest comic book / geek forums on the web to shut its doors and start fresh:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=52513

Over time, CBR's focus shifted from a community to the media outlet it is today, and the forums haven't received the focus they needed from me as I grew the company. While I'm proud of what CBR has become, and I believe CBR has some of the best fans in the world, with some of the biggest hearts and most open minds in all of fandom, unfortunately, we have had an increasingly loud contingent take root on our forums who refuse to behave in a manner respectful to others.

This changes now.

There has been a negativity and nastiness that has existed on the CBR forums for too long. Two weeks ago, that long-growing ugliness became more pronounced than ever. CBR published an article by guest contributor Janelle Asselin, critiquing the cover to DC Comics' upcoming "Teen Titans" #1. Some of you liked the article, some of you didn't. We encouraged readers to share their feedback in the CBR Forums.

Unfortunately, what happened next was unacceptable -- so-called "fans" around the Internet, on various message boards and social media, including the CBR Forums, attacked Janelle personally, threatening her with rape and assault. These same "fans" found her e-mail, home address and other personal information, and used it to harass and terrorize her, including an attempted hacking of her bank account.

All over a comic book cover critique. Just think about that for a second.

If you're one of the people who participated in any of these reprehensible acts, my message is simple: You are not welcome anywhere on CBR, and in our opinion, you have no place in the comics industry.

Full text at the link above.

This stuff is becoming increasingly bad on sites like Reddit, where so-called "men's rights advocates" can make humorous car commercials into Serious Issues, or where you have people making comments like this:

"Rape" rhetoric has made approaching girls impossible for a lot of guys. It's no problem for the "bad boys," thugs, addicts, and other impulsive, risk-taking personalities that are generally alphas, but everyone else is stuck waiting for that magical "Yes." But of course that "Yes" is never going to come because women like being taken and dominated.

And:

I hate how women are herd animals. Going after girls would be a lot easier if it was just about getting her interested, but no, you have to impress the whole fucking Spanish Inquisition panel of her 10 closest friends/enemies, since she needs social validation and can't actually think for herself.

There has always been a gender debate, and there have always been extremists on both sides, but it seems like the whole thing has really exploded online in the last year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:51 am 
Singularity ∞

I can't even be arsed to get into it, but it goes like this:

Woman creates free game about depression, donates donations for the game to a related charity.

Same woman has committed the crime of speaking about gender roles in the industry.

Ex-boyfriend claims she slept with several people in the video game biz, including someone who gave the game a good review.

Internet is now on fire about evil feminism and all the usual monsters in the closet this community knee-jerks against. Her personal info has been posted everywhere. Her family is getting dozens of phone calls. Nude pics of her are being posted everywhere. She is getting rape threats.

You know, all the usual stuff.

It's on loads of sites right now. Couple of examples:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/ ... ontroversy

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments ... d_general/

Seriously, fuck the video game community.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:12 pm 
HMFIC

You're missing the point, Shoe.

Girls are scary.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:16 pm 

Shoe wrote:
I can't even be arsed to get into it, but it goes like this:

Woman creates free game about depression, donates donations for the game to a related charity.

Same woman has committed the crime of speaking about gender roles in the industry.

Ex-boyfriend claims she slept with several people in the video game biz, including someone who gave the game a good review.

Internet is now on fire about evil feminism and all the usual monsters in the closet this community knee-jerks against. Her personal info has been posted everywhere. Her family is getting dozens of phone calls. Nude pics of her are being posted everywhere. She is getting rape threats.

You know, all the usual stuff.

It's on loads of sites right now. Couple of examples:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/ ... ontroversy

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments ... d_general/

Seriously, fuck the video game community.

Just caught wind of this last night and seriously wish I hadn't. Christ, is every video gamer in the world six years old?

Kinda glad my focus in the last few years has drifted away from video games and towards tabletop gaming. Really, really disillusioned with the medium, which is unfortunate since I've had so much fun gaming despite hating absolutely everything I've ever played.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:06 pm 

Cru wrote:
Christ, is every video gamer in the world six years old?

Yes.

Though to be fair, this is basically how MRA jagoffs act, whether or not they play videogames.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:16 pm 
Singularity ∞

To hear the way the MRAs talk, you'd think there were militant feminists on every corner poo pooing every last thing men do with their lives and oppressing us poor, put-upon young white males every chance they get.

No, mostly there are a few fringe feminists who are on the extreme side on Twitter and Tumblr; the MRAs go out of their way to seek the extreme ones out, then attribute all their views to ANYONE who suggests that maybe kinda sorta women might have to kinda sorta deal with some stuff that isn't all happy and gumdrops, and BY GOD THESE CRAZY FEMINISTS THEY SHOULD JUST LIGHTEN UP WHO CARES ABOUT HOW WOMEN ARE PRESENTED ANYWAY WHAT AN EXTREME THING TO EVEN BRING UP, RIGHT SUGARTITIS!?

Reddit is really, really, really bad with this right now.

Absolutely anything gets posted and you can be sure someone will chime in with, "Imagine if the genders were reversed," then there is a huge circlejerk about how women get away with so much stuff men don't get away with, and why do women bring up gender all the time, anyway? (on Reddit it's men who bring it up 90% of the time), and I'm sorry to hear you got raped, lady, but did you know that men get raped, too?

Ugh.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:27 pm 

Not any of that going on in the astrophotograpy or video editing/animation subreddits (or any decent part of that site). The hivemind subs like r/gaming, and any of the defaults, should be avoided - especially during the Summer months.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:33 pm 
Singularity ∞

Yes, basically it's all the defaults. The best Reddit is one in which you ubsub to them all. The subs you have to seek out and subscribe to are generally free and clear of that (assuming you're not subscribing to TheRedPill or something).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:27 pm 

Guys, you're both, like, 40.

Stop reading Reddit.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:35 pm 

JFelix wrote:

Stop reading Reddit.

Dude, I actively post to Reddit...I have, like, thousands of karma points. :loser:

Seriously, though, it's a great educational resource/porn depository. Best of both worlds, assuming you avoid the cesspool that is the default subs.

Besides, without Reddit, where would every other website gets its content from?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:59 pm 

Seriously, this is mind-blowing shit that I would never have read about, if not for Reddit:

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/nature/p ... e-station/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:28 pm 

JFelix wrote:

Stop reading Reddit.

By the way, I was posting this in a thread about video games while simultaneously playing video games.

I'm pretty sure I still stand by this statement.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:40 pm 

BBoy360 wrote:
Thanks to the Sneak G Wizzard for bringing this article to my attention, you could get a cheevie this year for that.

That gamer flossing his cheevos at the bar
http://vgmmdi.com/gamer-leaves-bar-...ure-gamerscore/

First off it's portland, if you're going to write a made up article about bar hopping, why not talk about Hollywood, Miami, or New York.

2nd off, how many times have I said, you never lead with hey I have 100k gamerscore, and you do it to a group of people that includes guys. If you bring it up casually, the way I say, the chicks will wonder, "How much GS do the other guys in the circle have."

Bottom line is this guy has no game. I've also said many times, you also have to have some game.

FYI another great site is BitFloss.com it lets you floss you bitcoins, by linking your facebook account to your bitcoin or coinbase wallet. This can help you get chicks too.
https://bitfloss.com/

:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:13 pm 
Singularity ∞

I have no idea what I just read.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:12 am 
Pollution Baby

JFelix wrote:
BBoy360 wrote:
...2nd off, how many times have I said, you never lead with hey I have 100k gamerscore, and you do it to a group of people that includes guys. If you bring it up casually, the way I say, the chicks will wonder, "How much GS do the other guys in the circle have."...
My god, to be absolutely clueless again... one thing I do not envy of the youth.

That is fucking GOLD though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next