It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:08 am 
Singularity ∞

The Wall Street Journal reports that women now make up nearly half of all video game players, and that female gamers are now more numerous than under 18 boy players.

Naturally, the reaction to this news is to outline the reasons why those women don't count.

Most of the women being talked about have never played MMOs, or FPS games, or RTS games, etc. I've seen anonymous polls of many games, including most MMOs, and the gender split can range from 75/25% (WoW) to 97/3% (EVE Online). But it's never even in the ballpark of 50/50. I've never seen it. Not in any kind of serious, non-Facebook, non-smartphone game.

"Women don't play the right kind of games, therefore they don't count."

There is a big difference between "those who play games" and "gamers".

"Filthy female casuals."

Oh fuck you, you casual gaming cunts. Sims doesn't count as a game. If there's no winning condition, it's not a game, it's a fucking toy. Suck it, bitches.

"You're still playing the wrong kind of games. You don't count."

I suggest asking them what E3 is and see how many blank stares you get. For double blank stares, ask them about GDC.

"They don't obsess over gaming news like I do, therefore they don't count."

Then you get articles like this using faulty reasoning to try to conflate them seems like an effort to push some sort of agenda, i.e. because mobile demographic is made up of X that means that main AAA gaming should cater more towards things that matter to X because they are part of the gaming sphere.

"If game makers notice that females like to play games, too, they might begin to make more games that appeal to females. This is bad."

When I can walk up to a random female and start talking to her about Monster Hunter and Dwarf Fortress, then I'll actually consider reading these articles.

"Ladies, you're still not playing the right games, and you still don't count."

Some people read gaming news everyday and play everyday multiple hours. They play al kinds of games on both console and pc. Its kinda dissrespecting to put them on the same level as someone that just plays candy crush

"It's all about respect, yo."

And so on and so forth.

This coming from the same group of people who cling to everything and anything that might legitimize gaming. "Gaming is, like, totally bigger than Hollywood now!" (This isn't actually true, it's based on a highly misleading statistic, but people cite it anyway.) If it makes games appear to be mainstream and acceptable they're ready to shout about it from the mountaintops.

Throw some girls in the mix, though, and whoa Nelly! We can't have any of that around here, can we?

http://www.reddit.com/r/gamernews/comme ... ers_adult/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:19 am 

My 18-year old daughter's favourite game is whatever Batman game is out now. I can't even tell you the name of it, because it's not my cup of tea. She loves it, and paid money to play it. I'm pretty sure her opinion matters more to a game publisher, rather than some bullshit citation-less rant on reddit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:05 pm 

Shoe wrote:
The Wall Street Journal reports that women now make up nearly half of all video game players, and that female gamers are now more numerous than under 18 boy players.

That's both really awesome and just kind of makes me sad for being called a faggot in grade school for my Super Mario lunch box.

Or they just knew about all those dicks I sucked, I don't know anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:06 am 

So, GoG just added DRM-free movies to their catalog - which I think is cool for two reasons:

1. downloadable movies SHOULD be DRM-free
2. my friend has a movie on GoG, and it was mentioned all over the internet today because of it.

However, the GoG forum is filled with fucking idiots complaining about three things:

1. OMGZ, MOVIEZ WILL DESTROY GOG!
2. OMGS WHY IS THEIR NO DISENY AND BATMAN AND SIMPSONZ
3. OMGZ WHY ARE NOT MKV. MP4 SUX. WHY NOT 1440P, AND I WONT PAY MORE THAN 4 FOR A MOVIEZ.

Gamers are awful, awful people.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:40 am 

Gamers know fuck all about anything outside of video games. For example people losing their shit over Clint Mansell on the Mass Effect 3 soundtrack, gamers all "I don't know who the fuck that'd is and have no idea if he can pull it off."

There was even a little bit of that going down when it was announced Guillermo Del Toro was working on the new Silent Hill game.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:30 pm 
Singularity ∞

Guillermo Del Toro being able to work on a weird franchise known for its creepy, disturbing monsters and psychological exploration? What a far fetched idea!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:21 pm 

Like.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:20 pm 

Women gamers, in my limited exposure, are also the worst too, to be honest.

This is in response to what Shoe posted above. They really deserve each other.

It's a really odd culture.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:24 pm 
Black Hole

I hope video game shittitudes sends more people to table-top gaming.

Leave the assholes, join a good table-top group and game.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:16 pm 

I have a friend and she's actually doing a panel in the fucking DIVERSITY TENT at PAX this weekend and I seriously can't wait to find out what happens.

Because it could go two ways: Shit's about to get real

Or

Shit's about to get REALLY real.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:59 pm 

JFelix wrote:
I have a friend and she's actually doing a panel in the fucking DIVERSITY TENT at PAX this weekend and I seriously can't wait to find out what happens.

Because it could go two ways: Shit's about to get real

Or

Shit's about to get REALLY real.

Doubtful. Most people that use the internet to send death threats have no concept of public social interaction - so they clamp up at events like this. There will be some big talk about "we shall overcome" and all that, everyone will applaud, go home, and bash the shit out of the event online.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:56 am 

Your lack of imagination will be the death of you, Chris Knight.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:38 am 
Black Hole

JFelix wrote:
Your lack of imagination will be the death of you, Chris Knight.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:37 pm 

She's spent the entire day tweeting pictures of unsuspecting shlubby dudes in khakis with captions like "you're in public, you should expect to get your picture taken, hot stuff," so yeah. Shit's getting really real. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:27 pm 
Black Hole

JFelix wrote:
She's spent the entire day tweeting pictures of unsuspecting shlubby dudes in khakis with captions like "you're in public, you should expect to get your picture taken, hot stuff," so yeah. Shit's getting really real. :lol:

Can you send some our way?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:06 am 
Singularity ∞

I don't have the energy to rant. All I can say is, man. Man oh man.

Yeah, video game players are horrible people.

This whole "GamerGate" thing is one of the most pathetic, transparent excuses for being bitter Can'tGetlaids I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:05 pm 

All my female friends are mad video game playazzzzzzzzzzz.

And we all swoon over Garrus.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:14 am 
Singularity ∞

You've got people raging that Zoe Quinn slept with people to get good reviews for her game. When you point out that these reviews by people she slept with don't exist, you are shouted down. These goons want to believe because it fits their narrative, and won't acknowledge that they've been sold a bill of goods.

You've got other goons trying to prove that Anita S. hadn't actually reported the death and rape threats she got to the authorities. Some good (from Brietbart, I believe) made a long video "exposing" the whole thing as a lie ... but 24 hours later, police are like, "Yeah, we're not handling the case, the FBI is." No one pays attention to the update. They cling to the "Anita is lying!" story because it fits their narrative. You are shouted down if you try to correct the record.

Some right wing think tank is now releasing anti-feminism videos focused on the video game industry. They are mostly filled with empty platitudes designed to undercut the idea of striving for gender equality, but since they are exactly what "gamers" want to hear, people are gobbling them up. When people point out that they are coming from a right wing group with an agenda, and that the videos are no more factual than others they criticize -- often less so -- the people pointing this out are shouted down.

A few people have brought up a simple idea: "Hey, it'd be cool if games with character creation offered female options whenever possible, provided it doesn't change the game." This always ends in frothing at the mouth and anger at the Evil Feminist Extremists who are trying to destroy the video game industry by, you know, maybe allowing other people to see themselves reflected in games.

Fuck the video game community.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:24 am 
Singularity ∞

Got into it with one person. They told me that this gender thing shouldn't be a big deal. They don't care what kind of a character they are playing, so why is everyone else making a big deal of it? All that is important is the game, he said.

I tried to explain that like me, he has the luxury of thinking that way because he's the default setting in most games. I'm a middle class white dude in America. If I throw a dart at the game shelves, chances are VERY good -- almost certain, in fact -- that I can play as someone vaguely resembling me. I will almost invariably be playing as a dude, and it's almost certain it will be a white dude. If there is character creation, I'll for sure be able to make someone who looks like me. It's never even a question.

I have the luxury of not caring.

I'm almost ALWAYS represented in my games. In the rare cases that I'm not, it's a welcome novelty.

JFelix does not have that luxury. How many games is he reflected in? Pender doesn't have that luxury. How many games feature an American Original protagonist? Crikey doesn't have that luxury. Of the small number of games with female protagonists out there, half of them are all tits and ass. Papibear doesn't have that luxury. There are few black protagonists in whiteface who ride in mobile wheelchairs featured in games.

We white dudes don't have to care because video games are pretty comfy for us. Way, way too many don't realize representation in games is an issue because we have the luxury of not noticing it. We're always IN our games.

If it were TRULY just "make good games, that's all that matters," these goons wouldn't feel so threatened at the mere suggestion that maybe some game developers ought to have more options when it comes to avatars, protagonists, and so on. Why the knee jerk reaction against it? Why the anger? If it really doesn't matter, why would you CARE if a game offered a choice to play as a bisexual Asian or a frumpy female?

The question is never answered. You get some vague rage, or "they should go make their own games, then."

That's rather telling, methinks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:39 am 
Minor Depression

Can someone give me a TL;DR of this whole gamer-gate thing? I started to read an article that was supposed to some sum it up and now know less than I did before. The world is pissed off because some chick got laid, and gamers aren't supposed to get laid? Something along those lines?

Edit - homonyms are hard.

Last edited by i8piglet on Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:53 am 
Singularity ∞

Basically, yes.

Here's the quick version:

Feminist chick makes a text game called Depression Quest. A few people on a few websites speak favorably of it. Ex boyfriend of said feminist chick comes out and says, "She cheated on me! She slept with some people in the games journalism biz!" It's true, she may have slept with a few folks who work in games journalism.

Cue howls of outrage. All of games journalism is corrupt! She slept her way to good reviews! (There is no evidence of this.) She is a whore!

She gets rape threats and a number of websites are flooded with hateful comments and loads of misogyny. Moderators moderate, as they do. This is evidence of a feminist conspiracy to take over the world of gaming.

Several sites write columns that the days or gaming being a boy's club are over. Some of those writers believe in gender equality. Cue more howls of outrage. This, too, is evidence of a feminist conspiracy to take over the world of gaming.

The end.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:45 pm 
Minor Depression

Got it. People still play text based games?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:34 pm 
Singularity ∞

Not many, but it remains a very small niche. It's really easy to make them now, there is software that handles all the behind the scenes stuff for you, so lots of folks make them at home.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:01 pm 

Ironically, I would never play as a video game character that resembled me due to agonizing self-loathing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:32 pm 
Singularity ∞

If there is avatar creation, I always end up making a white dude with dark hair and a goatee and/or scruffy beard. If you can select clothes, it's always loose fitting slacker clothes, preferably a button down with jeans.

The one major change is that I make my avatar my old weight, not my current weight.

Oh, and I always play a super noble good guy, because I am super noble. SUPER NOBLE.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:39 pm 
Black Hole

Noble.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:14 pm 
HMFIC

Shoe wrote:
I'm almost ALWAYS represented in my games. In the rare cases that I'm not, it's a welcome novelty.

JFelix does not have that luxury.

Image?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:56 pm 

I have always gone female Protagonist, from, like, Street Fighter to now. But then again tough women beating the shit out of everyone and everything has always been a fetish.

I have to get back to Mirror's Edge. I fell off it when Destiny came out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:43 pm 

I've been playing Counter Strike and now Counter Strike Global Offensive for the past 15 years and sadly the community is now nothing but cheaters. Probably about 80% or more of the games we play, we get cheated. The skill gap is so great that instead of trying to actually practice and get better, everyone is resorting to cheating. People I've known for 10+ years in what was once a solid community are all starting to quit and go onto other games. Video game players really are horrible people.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:24 pm 

JFelix wrote:
She's spent the entire day tweeting pictures of unsuspecting shlubby dudes in khakis with captions like "you're in public, you should expect to get your picture taken, hot stuff," so yeah. Shit's getting really real.

Leia's my favorite shit-stirrer, no lie. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:06 am 
Singularity ∞

Al Pacino wrote:
I've been playing Counter Strike and now Counter Strike Global Offensive for the past 15 years and sadly the community is now nothing but cheaters. Probably about 80% or more of the games we play, we get cheated. The skill gap is so great that instead of trying to actually practice and get better, everyone is resorting to cheating. People I've known for 10+ years in what was once a solid community are all starting to quit and go onto other games. Video game players really are horrible people.

Doesn't this end up happening with all older shooter communities? From what I understand, a few of the earlier Call of Duty communities are unplayable for anyone but cheaters, too, because of this.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:53 am 

This is why I don't play multi-player games with strangers. Either the servers are dead, or everyone is cheating, or everyone has been playing for 18 months and is an expert. Private server with friends is the only option for me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:07 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Al Pacino wrote:

Doesn't this end up happening with all older shooter communities? From what I understand, a few of the earlier Call of Duty communities are unplayable for anyone but cheaters, too, because of this.

Counter Strike: Global Offensive is only 2 years old but Valve Anti Cheat is an absolute joke and does zero to prevent cheating. When steam put the game on sale for 7 bucks during the summer, cheaters bought tons of copies and that was it. The past 2 months has been horrible and I don't see a fix coming anytime soon. I believe you are correct though, I tried playing some older battlefields and it was just cheaters as well. I'm gonna have to start playing more single player games I suppose.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:45 pm 
Black Hole

Seriously?

Felicia Day is an awesome person, so far as I can tell and as much as I know about her.

She seems like the girl you'd like to fuck, just so you can yell "SEMPER FATA!!!" as you cum inside her.

And she would know what you mean.

These GamerGate people got major errors in their brain codes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:27 pm 

Shoe wrote:
If there is avatar creation, I always end up making a white dude with dark hair and a goatee and/or scruffy beard. If you can select clothes, it's always loose fitting slacker clothes, preferably a button down with jeans.

The one major change is that I make my avatar my old weight, not my current weight.

Oh, and I always play a super noble good guy, because I am super noble. SUPER NOBLE.

When I was a younger Brian, I made a character in an n64 wrestling game modeled after my overweight dad, complete with blue jeans, mustache, and a sweat shirt. He would yell "WOOOOOOO" like Rick Flair. I thought it was amazing but my dad did not.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next