It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:01 pm 

I used to run 10K's and stopped about six years ago due to some knee trouble. Instead of having a mid-life crisis where I divorce my wife, chase 22-year-olds and buy a corvette, I've signed up for a half-marathon in September.

The catch: I haven't run more than a couple of miles at a time in about five years.

Anyone here ever run a half or full marathon? Any training tips for someone who is coming into this cold with four months to train?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:29 pm 

Only advice: don't train too much at first. If you start out cold and overtrain, you WILL be injured.

Run every other day. And then only in 4 minute increasements. Day 1: 4 minutes. Day 2: 8 minutes. Day 3: 12 minutes and so on. If you can run for 2 hours, you're half-marathon ready. That should take about 2-3 months. All the time in the world until September.

Latest word on stretching: fuck it, or don't. Nobody knows anything.
Latest word on shoes: we're back at superthick soles. Superthins are out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:00 pm 

Riedenschneider wrote:
Only advice: don't train too much at first. If you start out cold and overtrain, you WILL be injured.

Run every other day. And then only in 4 minute increasements. Day 1: 4 minutes. Day 2: 8 minutes. Day 3: 12 minutes and so on. If you can run for 2 hours, you're half-marathon ready. That should take about 2-3 months. All the time in the world until September.

Latest word on stretching: fuck it, or don't. Nobody knows anything.
Latest word on shoes: we're back at superthick soles. Superthins are out.

Thanks for the advice. I was about to buy shoes anyway since my current ones are almost dead. I like your 4 minute increase plan. I'm already at about 20 - 25 minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:45 am 
Black Hole

A friend who is a near daily runner did a marathon a few years back, around the same age as you. It was doing maybe 5 miles a day (or biking 15-20) a couple of times a week when he signed up.

Think he trained for a year beforehand.

Never did more than 20 during his training.

Told me us used an escalating, up and down training pattern. 5 miles, then 10, 5, 11, 5, 12, etc. Something like that.

He was able finish. He was wiped, said everything after mile 18 was a blur, but he did it.

He did not return for a second! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:58 am 

The wife ran three marathons, and a couple of halfs when she was running. She never ran more than 20-22 miles on any training day. She ran 5-6 days a week, with slowly increasing distances, like Reid said. She did great, and missed qualifying for Boston for her age group by three minutes in the last one she ran in Portland, ME. She really loved running, until injury put her running career on permanent hold. Good luck, Cary!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:39 pm 

Fastest man of the year so far, Tesfaye Abera, is going to run straight through our neighbourhood tomorrow. Dude's 6' 4'', so there will be no missing him in the elite field.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:29 pm 

I can't even imagine walking half of twenty miles in one go, let alone run it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:43 pm 
Black Hole

Kimfair wrote:
She did great, and missed qualifying for Boston for her age group by three minutes in the last one she ran in Portland, ME.

That's very impressive! Boston is a tough one to qualify for, and they keep making it tougher every year.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:09 am 

Shoe wrote:
Kimfair wrote:
She did great, and missed qualifying for Boston for her age group by three minutes in the last one she ran in Portland, ME.

That's very impressive! Boston is a tough one to qualify for, and they keep making it tougher every year.

Yeah, she was so pissed that she came so close. If she had qualified, it wouldn't have mattered, since it was soon after the Portland marathon that her injuries began, but even qualifying would have been a boost to her self esteem.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:27 am 

Thanks for all the input guys. I picked up a book about training at my age and have a schedule set between now and race day. I also went on google maps and found plenty of loops, trails, etc. I'm doing pretty much what you all said. Longer runs on weekends, shorter runs during the week but increasing in distance over the next few months. I have 22 weeks until the race so plenty of time to take this slow and still be up to the distance when the time comes.

Kimfair - I had no idea your wife had run marathons. That's fucking awesome! I trained for one for a short time when I was in my 20's but then once I got out of the navy I took up drinking and going to concerts over running. Since then the longest I've run are 10K's.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:01 pm 
HMFIC

I was certain that asking "Anyone here ever run a marathon?" was going to be roughly equivalent to "Anyone here ever slain a dragon?" But you guys have surprised me.

I will continue to do my racing on a boat where the longest distance I may be required to run is 42 feet.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:50 am 

Not that anyone really cares, but an update on my progress.

As of yesterday, my max distance is 8.5 miles. The race is a half-marathon and it's the first weekend in September. I have 2.5 months to take on an additional 4.5 miles which shouldn't be a problem. The race is also timed so I have to stay under 16 minutes a mile in order not to be pulled. So far that hasn't been an issue either as I'm averaging 11:52 per mile. Not lightning speed but well within my goal (which is just to finish).

The race will be all street running but I've been doing my long runs as a combo street/trail run because there's a four mile long canyon near me that has a pretty awesome running trail through it. I can leave from my front door, run through the canyon and back to my neighborhood and it's 8.5 miles exactly. There's also a summit trail near me that is about six miles round trip from the trail head, but too far to run from my house at this point. When I actually get up to distance I could do that one there and back as it's exactly 13.1 miles.

I'm loving the trail running because it's awesome to be completely out of the traffic but it's a killer due to the uneven road. My legs are always pretty exhausted after those.

Also, fun fact about the Aliso Wilderness Trails: home to at least a couple of mountain lions and there are signs to watch for rattlesnakes all along the canyon trail. Nothing like that kind of incentive to keep your pace up.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:16 am 
Pollution Baby

I care.

Congratulations of the progress so far. The most I've ever ran in one stretch was 7 miles, and that was as punishment during football practice, over 20 years ago.

I've just started walking during lunch and at home on the tread mill, hoping to fit back into not that old clothes.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:34 am 

That's cool. I've been dieting since Feb so I've dropped some weight also. If I drop a little more I have some not so old clothes I can get back into also. Then there's the old concert t-shirts that I can also wear again. My wife is dreading that. Nothing sadder than a 47-year-old man with a receding hairline wearing a Lollapalooza '92 shirt.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:49 am 

I don't run for three reasons: 1. I'm very slow. 2. I feel like it would be terrible on my joints. 3. I've always hated running. But if you can do it, like doing it, and it doesn't hurt too much, I'm all for it.

I have been walking like crazy since June 1 of last year, so just over a year. Set a goal for myself that I would walk 2,000 miles in 2016. Currently on pace for over 2,500 and that pace is rising. Averaged a little over 8 miles/day in April, a little over 9 miles/day in May, and a little over 10 miles/day so far in June. Combined with a renewed focus on watching what I eat (but not to extremes), I've lost a bunch of weight (I'm the lightest I've been since I was in college over 20 years ago). Who knew activity was so good for you?

I could do that half marathon if I had to, I think, but I wouldn't enjoy it much. I don't try to push my pace much beyond getting my heart rate up a little, which really doesn't take too much effort. I did do a 14 mile walk about a month ago where I walked from my place in West Philly, all the way across the Ben Franklin Bridge into New Jersey, and back home without stopping. Took me a little over four hours so I think I'd be falling short on the 16 min./mile requirement, but I could do it if I had to.

Feels good to be active and doing good things for yourself.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:00 am 
Black Hole

Cary, slow down. You can't win a marathon by running fast. Make some stops. Have a beer. Do it right.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:08 am 

Great news both Cary and Red! I should walk home from work more, but I'm a lazy sack.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:39 am 

Red wrote:
I have been walking like crazy since June 1 of last year, so just over a year. Set a goal for myself that I would walk 2,000 miles in 2016. Currently on pace for over 2,500 and that pace is rising. Averaged a little over 8 miles/day in April, a little over 9 miles/day in May, and a little over 10 miles/day so far in June. Combined with a renewed focus on watching what I eat (but not to extremes), I've lost a bunch of weight (I'm the lightest I've been since I was in college over 20 years ago). Who knew activity was so good for you?

I saw your photos on Facebook. You're looking great, my friend!

When I stopped running a few years ago it was because I was diving a ton and running was hurting my knees. Now I'm not diving at all and I did some PT and bought the right shoes, etc. so my joints aren't hurting at all. Running and diving are pretty much the only activities I can do that are big time stress relievers for me, so that's why I decided to try it again instead of doing something less hard on the joints. So far I've got no complaints and I don't feel like I'm going to go all Michael Douglas/Falling Down on people as often.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:03 pm 

It's a been a really weird few weeks where my wife and daughter are in Michigan and not sure when they'll be back (extended family has a terminal illness). I've somehow managed not to completely fuck up my training schedule and broke the 10 mile mark a week ago. This Friday I'll be doing 11 miles and then I'll be staying there for a couple of weeks. So far, everything feels pretty good. The knees are holding out fine and most times aren't even sore afterwards. When they are it's usually after a trail run which takes a lot more effort than street running due to uneven ground.

At this point, I honestly feel that I could finish a half-marathon if I had to run it tomorrow. It wouldn't be pretty but I could do it.

This Friday the OC Fair starts and I'll be going to see Dead Man's Party (Oingo Boingo Tribute Band) on Saturday. I suspect many calories will be consumed there so as far as losing weight this week or the next couple of weeks (I'll be hitting the fair a lot), I'm guessing that won't happen. The other thing that's going to be interesting is I'll be traveling for a couple of weeks in August. Despite my best intentions I'm pretty sure I'll be running less than usual. Especially when I'm hanging out with my sister and her boyfriend at 3 a.m. in a dive bar somewhere. I'm not seeing much in the way of morning running on those days.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:32 pm 
Pollution Baby

The road goes ever on...

It's been a rough year, and my mental state is more in limbo and just keeping things going. I do still walk during lunches, most of the time, I did today. My walk is 2 trips around a pond near my work, about 1 1/2 miles. It's a nice walk, lots of random flora and fauna (beaver, egrets, hawks, fish, chipmunks, squirrels, etc...). Today I saw a group of 4 kids playing Pokemon Go, not sure if they found any in the woods.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:04 pm 

That sounds like a nice walk. I work in a business park that's too far away from anything like that to make it a lunch thing. There is a "lake" nearby I can walk around but it's man-made in the middle of a planned community. I've done it before but it's not the same as what you're describing.

Sorry to hear it's been a rough year for you. It's been a weird one here as well. Things have been mostly okay but there have been three pretty hardcore bad spells (like the current one). Just trying to stay positive and afloat.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:23 pm 

Keep staying active, guys. So good for you. As of this morning I'm down 66 pounds since March, 88 pounds since I moved to Philly a little over a year ago, and 128 pounds from my heaviest back around 2007.

I'm still walking like crazy, more than ever, really. About 11.3 miles/day in the month of July. Starting to hit that point where I just don't have the time to keep upping what I do every month. Good news is that I really don't need to. I'm getting relatively close to what I think should be an ideal weight for me (maybe 20-25 more pounds).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:01 pm 

How long does it take to walk 11 miles?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:08 am 
Pollution Baby

88 lbs is no joke, nice work, Red.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:42 am 

Very nice, Red! Way to go!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:38 pm 

Thanks, guys. Kind words are always appreciated and they've helped keep me motivated in this process. I feel great, which is really the reason to do this.

Monty, I'm walking on average about 3-3.5 hours a day. I don't walk at a super fast pace, especially in this weather. It's been very sticky lately, which isn't a lot of fun. So, yeah, it's a big time commitment on a daily basis, but it generally works for me because I'm able to break it up into several smaller chunks throughout my day, at least during the work week. I'll generally walk about three miles on my way to work in the morning, go for another two mile walk on my lunch break, and then another 4-5 miles after work. It adds up, pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:17 pm 

Great to hear you're keeping with it. :thumbs: I walk like twenty minutes to the train station and twenty back, and I'm pretty much done for the day.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:08 pm 

Damn dude, that's a lot of miles and a lot of weight lost, good job. I do about 4-5 miles a day, and I'm pretty beat by the end of it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:29 pm 

It's crunch time for my half-marathon. The race is a week from Sunday. I just spent two weeks traveling on vacation. The first week, I was able to run on a treadmill a few times for a couple of hours each time. Last week, I skipped running completely as my family and I spent almost all day every day wandering Boston on foot.

The result is I put a few pounds on. I don't want to fall into the trap of overdoing it before the race so I'm going to do a few 8 mile runs and one 10 mile run between now and the race. Then I'm going to hope for the best. Once this is behind me, I'm going to continue to run but will probably only do 10K races. Putting in the time for the half-marathons has been a real issue.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:36 am 

And just like that, I'm no longer running a half-marathon this weekend. In a bureaucratic fuckup, my workplace signed me up for the 10K instead of the half. I found out about this a week ago and tried to get it switched but I was told it was too late and the only chance I would have would be when I went to pick up my packet on Thursday. So last night I went to pick that up and tried to switch it, but Disney told me that Cigna (the sponsor) would have to give them permission to switch me. Cigna was the contact that told me only Disney could change it. After a full day of bullshit at work, I didn't feel like trying to untangle this mess, so I just picked up my 10K number.

The good news is there's an Oktoberfest half-marathon, a Spooky Half Marathon and a beach-side half marathon all happening in October. I'll be hitting one of those up to complete my goal.

Tomorrow, I'll be running the 10K through Disneyland and California Adventure with an eye to beat my average of 12 minutes per mile, however that may be tough because I understand there are lots of distractions along the race route. I may just have fun with it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:47 am 

Okay, so the 10K was a breeze. Ran it Saturday and finished in 67 minutes. Now I'm signed up for the Disney Super Hero Half-Marathon in November. It should be similar to the course I was hoping to run in last weekend's race. So the training continues but this time, there's no doubt that I'm actually going to be running 13.1 miles instead of 6.2.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:45 am 
Pollution Baby

caryc wrote:
...Disney Super Hero Half-Marathon in November...
And who will you be wearing?

The most accurate would be, of course, Aquaman.
Spoiler: show

Or, you could go with Chris' version...
Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:34 am 

Right now, it looks like I'll be wearing a Punisher logo unless I can find either Daredevil or Hellboy in a polyester running shirt.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:04 pm 
Pollution Baby

How can you pass up an opportunity to wear glitter and sequins?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:46 pm 

Ericubus wrote:
How can you pass up an opportunity to wear glitter and sequins?

13.1 miles of chaffing... need I say more?

However, I forgot to say that the best costume I saw during this weekend's run was someone dressed at the Gene Wilder Willy Wonka. You know they pulled that together quick!