It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PS3 or PS4?
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:54 pm 

I was thinking about buying a Playstation 3 or 4, I can get a 3 pretty cheap used and the games are cheap also or should I bite the bullet and just buy a PS4? What are the network and back capatibility issues?

Letterboxed

Post subject: Re: PS3 or PS4?
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:16 pm 

PS3 can play PS1 discs (unless you buy a first generation console which also played PS2 discs). Both systems have a back-catalogue of PS2 releases, although the selection is very limited on PS4 because they get remasters/upgrades.

One of the biggest problems with the current original PS4 is the WiFi is garbage. I wouldn't be surprise if its top speed is under a megabyte, though plugged in, it does fare better.

The best option would probably be to pick up a PS4 Pro which has slightly upgraded hardware or even waiting for the XBox Scorpio, which I believe has even better system specs than the PS4 Pro, but I haven't looked into it.

Honestly the real best option would be not to buy any system because you shouldn't support bullshit tactics like system upgrades that come out less than two years into the previous system's life for an extra hundred bucks without any sort of trade-in option for us assholes who bought an original PS4/XBox One.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:40 pm 

The PS3 has some amazing games. I definitely enjoyed it, whenever it actually let me play in between system updates and game patch downloads. Haven't fired it up in about 7 or 8 months, and I still have games from 2004 still shrink-wrapped on a shelf...but I've been jonesing for some Gran Turismo lately (has that even come out for the PS4 yet?).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:53 am 
Black Hole

PS5?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:17 am 

I wound up getting a PS3 (the Forman grill version), with the price and all the games available at cheap prices I thought it should be plenty to keep me busy.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:41 am 

My PS3 died last summer and I ended up just getting another one. I'd read a lot of the same things JFelix says about PS4 above and figured I'd wait. There are a ton of great PS3 games out there to play. If you've never played Red Dead Revolver, you should pick that up. It's one of the most immersive games I've ever played. I rarely play a game more than once and I played that through twice and also played the Undead version all the way through.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:35 am 
Black Hole

I expect to hold onto my PS3 until it dies. My backlog is too big to justify an upgrade until I clear some of it.

I'll upgrade to an Xbox One when Shoe Jr. leaves and takes his, because I already down games for it, and also because my 360 is dead (which sucks, because I have a lot of games for it I can't play).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:37 pm 

Shoe wrote:
I expect to hold onto my PS3 until it dies. My backlog is too big to justify an upgrade until I clear some of it.

I'll upgrade to an Xbox One when Shoe Jr. leaves and takes his, because I already down games for it, and also because my 360 is dead (which sucks, because I have a lot of games for it I can't play).

I thought my 360 was dead but after a good cleaning its running again.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:38 pm 
Black Hole

I may try that. Mine turns on, but rarely STAYS on for more than 10-15 minutes before shutting itself down with red lights.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:23 pm 

There are a few good youtube videos on how to clean it properly, I was surprised at how much good it did.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:06 am 

Any good games that are reason enough to buy a Ps4, assuming I already have a pretty capable PC for gaming?

Newegg has the 500gb slim model refurbished with that faux Indiana Jones game for $189. Price seems good. Though I have enough on the PC to keep my attention span, and I probably play like 3 or 4 games tops a year. I kind of want a Switch (Mario!) but the likelihood of me playing more than 2 games on that console tempers my enthusiasm.

https://flash.newegg.com/product/9SIACY ... FpbC5jb20=

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:10 am 

I'm tempted to buy a PS4, just so I can play the remastered Crash Bandicoot series. The only thing that didn't make it an insta-buy was the lack of Crash Team Racing. However, since it's the only game I would ever play on the console (unless a new Gran Turismo turns out to be decent), I don't want to spend more than $100 on it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:37 am 

I had Crash Bandicoot Wrath of Cortex on the original playstation, I don't think I played it for more than 40 minutes total. Did I miss some greatness?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:57 am 

wife, daughter and I played the crap out of the first 2 (on PS1), so it's more nostalgia than anything. And the remaster is pretty accurate.

Also, Wrath Of Cortex was a PS2 game, and it wasn't developed by the same company that did the first 2 (Naughty Dog). I never played any of the series that weren't made by them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:39 am 

Chris Knight wrote:
wife, daughter and I played the crap out of the first 2 (on PS1), so it's more nostalgia than anything. And the remaster is pretty accurate.

Also, Wrath Of Cortex was a PS2 game, and it wasn't developed by the same company that did the first 2 (Naughty Dog). I never played any of the series that weren't made by them.

Oops, guess it was the 3rd game, Warped. Never played the Ps2 one.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:41 pm 

Ps4 is sold out now so the decision has been made!