It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Boat Race
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:58 am 
Black Hole

Tonight is "Docktails."

Every boat brings loads of alcohol and we all get drunk at the yacht club.

Then we try to race tomorrow.

Good times.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:27 am 
HMFIC

Shoe wrote:
Tonight is "Docktails."

Every boat brings loads of alcohol and we all get drunk at the yacht club.

Then we try to race tomorrow.

Good times.

That is exactly the process with the Mackinac race.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:30 am 
Black Hole

I typically don't drink the day before race day. Being on a boat under the hot sun hung over trying to haul sheets in heavy air. Fuck that. Recipe for a stomach evac.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:00 am 
HMFIC

Me neither. But Boat Night in Port Huron, the night before the race, is a big party. Everybody brings friends and family. They have a carnival. And lots of drinks on the boat.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:39 am 
Black Hole

Maybe when I get on the boat everything will stop rocking.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:53 am 
HMFIC

Odds are, the rocking of the boat will either compensate for the rocking of the Earth or exacerbate it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:34 pm 
Black Hole

Thankfully, the race was called due to heavy winds. Free beer at the club we were at, but I wasn't feeling like I wanted to take advantage of that. Too much rum the night before.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:30 pm 
Black Hole

Started out fall series today. It was close to brutal. High winds, on the top end of what I like, then the rain opened up just as we finished. I'm beat to shit.

Still, great to kick off another six to eight weeks of sailing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:45 am 
HMFIC

The boat I usually sail on doesn't do the fall series. I went down to the marina last Tuesday, figuring I might jump on one of the other boats, but it had already gone out so I just took a pleasure sail with the usual racing crew instead (more beer).

I think we've only got a week or two left in our fall series, then it's done. Might do a race. Might be done sailing for the year.

How high is "high winds" out there? And you're still on the catboat?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:10 am 
Black Hole

High winds depends on the boat class, obviously. For this class, they call races at a sustained 18mph. They can handle into the mid 20s to low 30s if the sail is reefed, but for whatever reason they don't reef around here. Apparently it's common in Nantucket, where this class (Sanderling) is also very popular.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:25 pm 
HMFIC

18mph on the boat I race on is a good race (and one we're likely to win, as it's a heavy boat and is less competitive in light air). We saw sustained winds near 30 a few years ago on a Tuesday, with gusts higher, and finished fine, though one of the other boats in the class lost their mast. 18mph on my father-in-law's boat, which is a sloop rig but about the same size as the one you race on, and I'm not likely to go out. Makes sense.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:07 pm 
Black Hole

I don't like it when it's sustained at 13-15 or so. These are only 20' boats, we only run a crew of three. I'm on the main sheet, and I just don't have the strength and endurance to tend the sheet on a long upwind leg when the wind is blowing like that. I can cleat it, but if you get a big gust that makes it harder for you to help keep the boat under control.

Off chance I may finally buy one in the next year or so. The boats in this class have come down in price. It's now possible to get them for a very reasonable amount, and they double as good bay cruisers for the family.

Next year I might try to see if I can weasel onto one of these historic boats for a race:

https://njmonthly.com/articles/jersey-l ... ats-boats/

I'd only be rail meat, just mobile ballast, but that's okay. They are GORGEOUS when you see them in person and it's pretty cool that the fleet is unique to this bay.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:20 pm 
HMFIC

If you're ever in Detroit during the summer (seems unlikely), my father-in-law's boat is a different design, but similar vintage, and I can offer you a ride on that. Restored in the 80's and he's been meticulous about maintaining it since. Don't have pictures handy, but it's a Duxbury Duck and similar to the one pictured in this article.

Not as cool as having a fleet to race against (I don't think there's enough left for that even in Duxbury), and smaller than the ones you're talking about, but a fun little boat to sail.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:58 pm 
Black Hole

They look pretty cool. Nice looking boat. I'd certainly take you up on it. Very similar to the Sandpipers that a lot of people around here sail, maybe a touch smaller. A fleet of those Sandpipers sail the same day we sail:

This is the exact make and model we sail, a Marshall Sanderling aka B Cat:

They don't get much larger on the bay. It's a really shallow bay, so if you draft more than a couple of feet it's sketchy. The old joke is that if your boat sinks in the middle of the bat, you'll have to walk home. Not too far from the truth. It's 4-8' in most areas. The bigger boats head out the inlet to the ocean.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:37 pm 
Black Hole

Took Shoe Jr. for the race on Sunday since we were down a man and the fall series is a casual series. Afterward, we're at the club having a drink and everyone is chatting about the race. Shoe Jr. told me, "You're an old white guy."

He's right. I have to admit, it sounds fucking weird as hell to say that I hang out at yacht clubs. Sounds like a big snooty deal if you don't realize it's just some old bozos in a middle class town sailing boats that are cheaper than a used Toyota Corolla.

Also, I'm always pretty much the youngest guy there. There are a small handful of younger folks, but not many. My Skipper and I are on the young end of the spectrum by a good way.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:58 am 
HMFIC

Friend of mine took a group of boy scouts on the Mackinac a few years ago. Got a bunch of local press about it, but his idea was precisely that: sailors are a bunch of old guys. Particularly on big boats. You see kids doing the little one-man things, but, at 40, I'm one of the younger guys on my crew, and most of the others are similar. He was trying to get it to grow into a bigger thing, which it didn't. Guy who he talked into using his boat didn't do the race the year after. Some of the kids still show up to Tuesdays in the summer, though, so that's something.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:40 pm 
HMFIC

First practice of the year. Fucking cold. Went out in layers, and realized partway through that I should've worn my warmest gloves.

Trying to remember if this is my 9th or 10th year racing sailboats. But like we were talking about last year, I'm the second-youngest guy on the boat.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:16 pm 
Black Hole

I haven't been on a boat yet this year. Oddly, Shoe Jr. has. He's sailing a few times a week with school.

My race season doesn't start until June.

I'm still hemming and hawing about buying that boat (like the ones pictured above). I won't, but every time I drink I think about doing it. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:21 am 
HMFIC

Mackinac Race is this coming weekend. Anybody on here ever follow it? I haven't dug up the tracking info I've posted in past years, but I could.

Shoe, did you ever buy that boat?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:11 pm 
Black Hole

Eric wrote:
Shoe, did you ever buy that boat?

Sorry, missed this.

Did not buy it yet. It's still available, so we'll see. Mrs. Shoe wants me to, but I'm holding off until we know about some tuition costs. Priorities and all that.

Slow race year this year. I've been doing casual mixed classes races on Wednesdays and have only been filling in once in a while for the class races on Sundays.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:53 pm 
HMFIC

Mac Race was miserable. Supposed to be a slow race with small waves and wind out of the southeast. Ended up blowing hard out of the northeast for most of it. Waves up to 10 feet a couple times, and half the crew was heaving over the rails. Rained for all but about five hours. But as miserable as it was, it was fast. 30.5 hours race time for us, which would've put us first out of the whole fleet in any other year (we were fifth in class--everybody else was fast and miserable, too). We were at the bar by Sunday night, whereas usually we're there for Monday breakfast.

Had a guy on the boat doing his first overnight race. After watching him throw up for the whole first day, the guy on the crew who's buying the boat from the old owner sent him up to pump out the head. Amazingly, he's coming back.