It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:51 pm 
Black Hole

Thanks Cary. Always gratified that you listen.

Still going through stuff, cutting tracks, focusing on what's best. Getting there.

Have you tried Audacity? I've been using it since the Win 10 update and while it's not nearly as good as Audition, it works in a pinch. Has recorded fine on an older laptop, too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:54 pm 
HMFIC

I can vouch for Audacity. I've used that to edit mp3s and do some very light multitracking, and it's not at all hard to use.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:05 pm 

Audacity works great for me as an audio editing tool, but when I used it to record vinyl onto my computer, it sometimes added artifacts. I got a new program for the vinyl download that works great, but still use audacity for any editing. And as Chris will tell you, if I can figure it out, it's easy to use.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:28 pm 
Black Hole

Audacity is a cinch to use, yeah, though I'm really not enamored with the strength of its feature set, and high-precision edits are a chore compared to Audition. I recommend it mostly because of Cary's latency issues. I had to jump through hoops to solve that on my current desktop with Audition -- I was unable to multitrack record because of it -- but finally solved that with a new sound card. Audacity, no such problems. Plus, it's free.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:24 am 

The only time I ever recommend Apple products, is when a musician asks me how to record audio without dealing with latency issues. iPads, especially, are perfect for multi-track music recording. They just work, and are relatively inexpensive. Plenty of adapters available to connect guitars/mics. The device - essentially - replicates the 80s/90s Tascam Portastudio experience (the go-to for home musicians during that era).

Or, buy an actual used Portastudio on eBay. Vinyl made a comeback, so I'm sure tape hiss isn't far behind.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:28 am 
Black Hole

I still have my TASCAM Porta-7. I'm about to start demoing a bunch of traditional songs and have thought about using it again, just for shits and giggles.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:24 am 

Shoe wrote:
I still have my TASCAM Porta-7. I'm about to start demoing a bunch of traditional songs and have thought about using it again, just for shits and giggles.

I still have mine also. It hasn't been used in over a decade. Not sure if it would even still work but at the same time, I was spoiled using programs like Cakewalk back in the day. I may have to check out Audacity.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:46 pm 
Black Hole

I didn't switch to digital until about 10 years ago. I used CoolEdit Pro to do noise reduction and minor edits (such as splitting up a multi-part songs into separate tracks), but kept recording on 4-track until almost exactly 10 years ago. I really liked it. Still do.

But digital is WAAAAY more flexible, so I doubt I'd ever go back.

Plus, easier to archive your stuff. I have shoeboxes filled with 4-track tapes, and who's to say if they're even still any good?

re: the thread topic, I'm pretty settled on the material for the next m2 (which is NOT the "outtakes" collection). It all comes from the same brief period and has what I was looking for: a little air. I had gotten into a rut where a lot of what I was recording was really dense and claustrophobic. Here, I'm looking for material that breathes a little more.

Soon.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:58 am 
Black Hole

Decided to make some hard cuts and just chop the shit out of Leftovers and Laments, the outtakes collection. Going to get it down to two discs, and not lengthy hour+ discs, either. I want all the material to be worthwhile. I can still drop all the outtakes into Vols. 1, 2, etc. for my own listening. Lotsssss of material I'm leaving out, but that's for the best. I want this to be a good listening experience.

Settled on the next formal m2 collection as well. It'll be called Coming Up For Air. Has some material I really like, all recorded during a fairly brief stretch.

There's one track called "Taylor Swift Used to Sponge Me" that closes it out. I'd laugh when I saw the title -- the titles are usually made up on the spot based on whatever is going through my head at the time -- but couldn't remember why I named it that.

Finally realized last night when going over some other material, multitracks from some recording I abandoned: it follows a chord progression taken from a Taylor Swift song. Hah! You'd never know it when you hear it, but there is it.

Just have to get in, do some minor edits and mastering, and create a cover. I'd like to do it while it's still 2017, but we'll see.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:44 pm 
Black Hole

Spent the early evening mastering the next m2. At the last minute, I cut a 9-minute track that just didn't feel right for it.

It goes that way sometimes.