It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:19 am 

caryc wrote:
Kimfair wrote:
I'm looking forward to seeing many of you on Friday evening for the start of Fest #26!

Who are you not looking forward to seeing?

The fuckers that aren't coming!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:11 am 

Setting off in less than two hours! :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:47 am 

Too exhausted (even after a 13-hour hibernation period) to say much more than thanks to Kimfair and tigerpal for another 24 hours' worth of insanity, and to give my brief thoughts on this year's fare:

-When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth (1970): :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole:

Great fun, but then again I grew up on this sort of Creature Double Feature fare. "Akita! Necro!" Always awesome to see stop-motion dinos and cheesy horns and frills glued onto monitor lizards and alligators (not to mention skimpy cavegirl outfits).

-El/The Bar (2017): :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole:

This kind of "group of people in a claustrophobic pressure-cooker situation" scenario is always a surefire suspense gambit, and it's slickly and confidently made, studded with great dark humor. Loved the Total Recall face death.

-Thief Of Bagdad (1940): :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half:

Just a marvellous fantasy film, and I wish I had seen it as a kid...it's terrific family entertainment, with awesome special effects and gorgeous use of color. Plus, I liked that the Princess looked like the genetic fusion of Jennifer Tilly and Catherine Zeta-Jones.

-Vampire Cleanup Department (2017): :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole:

I wasn't terribly into this to begin with, but once the cute vampire girl started hopping around after the protagonist, it started to win me over. A charming little movie.

-Bloody Birthday (1981): :hole1: :half: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole:

Objectively terrible (even by the standards of early-80's slasher fare), but exactly the kind of terrible that's a blast to accompany with Fest commentary. Big hair, ugly shirts with vertic -- horizontal stripes, and evil kids with smug expressions...what's not to like?

-Wild Wild Planet (1966): :hole1: :half: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole:

Incredibly dull, but filled with so much sub-Star Trek 60's cheesiness (and era-appropriate miniskirts) that it was fun to watch with a Fest crowd.

-Bad Ronald (1974): :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole:

Must have seemed like more watching it on TV in the mid-70's, but it's no Housebound. Stupid kid had a drawerful of clean shirts to choose from...

-Eye Of The Cat (1969): :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole:

My first major zone-out of the night, and it was disappointing it was during this...from what I could decipher, it was stylish, intriguing and had a tense/jazzy Lalo Schifrin score. I may buy the Blu-Ray and check it out again.

-The Resurrected (1991): :hole1: :half: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole:

Really starting to crash here, so most of this went by in a blur. Dankly-lit, hard to follow, and just plain boring.

-Trick Or Treat (1986): :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole: :nohole:

I should have been able to follow this better (it's a fairly standard high school revenge-of-the-nerd narrative), but, again, I was semi-dozing through a lot of it. I'll need to give it another shot. Lot of hot 80's hair on the girls, though. :)

-Pulgasari (1985): :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole:

Kaiju films are always fun, and it's always been a dream of mine to thoroughly smash a minature cityscape while being filmed in voluptuous slow-motion. Not the best example of it's kind, but enjoyable.

-The Green Slime (1968): :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole:

Not nearly as terrifying as when I was watching it on TV at age eight or nine (and when my older brother nearly suffocated me to death by sitting on top of me on the couch), but a prime slice of Japanese-produced sci-fi insanity, with a plot that was obviously cribbed from by both Armageddon and Alien (although Michael Bay managed to make his version somehow a thousand times worse) and that insanely catchy theme song.

Another awesome Fest, and looking forward to more in 363! :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:46 am 
Singularity ∞

Hope everyone had fun! I'm sure it was a blast, as always. Hope to see everyone next year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:41 am 

Thanks to everyone who came, and thanks to everyone who is a friend of Fest. Here's the final cover art completed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:27 pm 

Sorry to have missed this. #2019 film fest?

Next year my food show in California is March 5-9; hopefully that doesn't interfere.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:46 pm 
Pollution Baby

Kimfair, I fucking DARE you!

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:21 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:28 pm 
Singularity ∞

It would make a great test of endurance and friendship.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:07 pm 

The sad thing is that 14 movies clock in at just under 18 hours. Which actually might work in terms of time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:41 am 
HMFIC

I'm just kind of amazed they made 14 of those.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:43 am 
Singularity ∞

Kimfair wrote:
The sad thing is that 14 movies clock in at just under 18 hours. Which actually might work in terms of time.

It's not sad.

It's a sign.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:11 am 

Ericubus wrote:

What the hell?

I just told a friend of mine that we should buy and watch all of these.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:17 am 
HMFIC

I watched the first one with my 5-year-old daughter last week.

It did not seem to justify a sequel.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:46 am 
Singularity ∞

I don't appreciate you people disparaging the Land Before Time.

The first thing you have to understand is that The Land Before Time is not a movie series, it's a lifestyle.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:37 am 
Pollution Baby

At the end of the first one, they all died. The fields or great pasture thing they were all going towards was heaven. This explains why they all got bigger throughout the first film, then stopped aging after that. If you watch the sequels with this in mind they are far more enjoyable. It also explains why the aspect ratio changed.

Truth

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:44 am 

The first Land Before Time is a legit good movie. Charming characters, beautiful animation and a splendid James Horner score.

The rest can eat a :BOD:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:00 pm 
HMFIC

It's a legit okay movie. Characterization is inconsistent and it ends a bit abruptly, without much of a climax. I've seen worse kids' flicks, but it's nothing special.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:03 pm 
Pollution Baby

My kids got on a kick about a year or so ago to watch the sequels. They kept asking for them on movie nights, to my ever growing annoyance. I finally gave in and watched the second one, which is a whole lots meh, about on par with most animated kid's shows, being a stretched out episode. Than comes part 3, where they are a severe turn into dealing with real issues like fear and prejudice and religion. There really are some legit good films in there and a reason it went to 14, but you have to sift a bit to find them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:34 pm 
HMFIC

Movie night requests lately have been re-views of Harry Potter and Back to the Future movies. Though we watched Raiders of the Lost Ark last week, and my son's been asking for Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

I'm not going to make any efforts to slot The Land Before Time sequels in there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:39 pm 

A lot of opinions on the Land Before Time in here.

I saw the first one in 1987 or 88. I was 3. I got a Little Foot puppet from Pizza Hut. I recall my dad pretending to be a T-Rex and chase my sister and I. I have no idea if it's a good film, because 3-year-olds don't really have good taste in film typically.

I recall being shocked that there were so many sequels in the mid-90s. And even more shocked now to see them up to 14. Less shocked to know that Monty has probably watched them all.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:31 pm 

I watched the first follow-up, and swore off direct-to-video "cheapquels" ever since.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:55 pm 

The first one is, like most Bluth movies, bland and forgettable. Beautiful animation, but the target audience couldn't give a shit about that - especially in 2018. I vaguely remember watching one of the sequels with my daughter, but it looked no different than a Saturday morning cartoon. Also, musical numbers. Fuck that noise.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5