It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My neu Travel Blott
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:49 pm 

Since I decided to start writing for DIMP, and now the Hole, there's always been a part of me that wanted to do some other writing that didn't really fit in with what we're doing here, mainly travel writing, and discussions of restaurants, theater, etc. I have started a blog, and I have just posted an entry on our trip to the Florida keys, with another coming soon after we return from Bonaire. Here's the link, I hope you enjoy it.

http://kimfair.wordpress.com/

Post subject: Re: My new Travel Blog
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:14 pm 
Singularity ∞

Good luck with this, should be a fun project. Quality writing and photos, though that's no surprise.

(Photos are a touch on the large size; maybe consider small pics with a click through to larger versions?)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:18 pm 

Love it, Kimfair! You nailed The Keys experience also. Glad you found the secret to great seafood at an awesome price (Find the source). I haven't been there in years but my parents have been twice a year for the last few years. I really want to dive around there.

Also, loves your grouper pic and your shark pic. Nice! Enjoy Bonaire!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:23 am 
Site Admin

Totally cool. I'll be reading it for sure!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:18 pm 

Thanks for the kind words. We had an unfuckingbelievable time on Bonaire (got home about an hour ago, still too jazzed to sleep). The new camera rocks, and I got some great shots of all kinds of sea life, including the first octopi I've seen in the wild. I'll be linking some youtube videos to the blog as well. Shoe, I agree on the pics, but how does a computer idiot like myself go about doing that? (having smaller pics that can click to be larger).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:28 pm 

The first segment of the Bonaire blog is now up at http://kimfair.wordpress.com/

When I got to Tuesday and I was at 6 pages, I figured I better split it up or everyone would hate me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:19 pm 

Just finished catching up on your blog. You were talking about K's mask fogging up and leaking. I can't help with the leaking part. That sounds like a fit problem, however the fogging up part I've definitely got remedies for.

1. Get some Colgate or Crest toothpase and rub down the inside of the mask with it. Don't use a brush, just your thumb or fingers... no fingernails. There's a coating that the manufacturers put on the masks to protect them while in the store. Almost any toothpaste will take it off but I've been most successful with those two.

2. After you do that, find a small plastic bottle that you can cap and fill it with tap water and about three to four drops of Johnson and Johnson's baby shampoo. Cap it and shake it up so that it's thoroughly mixed. You have now created an "anti-fog" solution. You could pay $4 - $5 a bottle for something called anti-fog solution at your dive store, but baby shampoo and water works better than any of them and a tiny $0.99 travel bottle of the shampoo will last you for 10 years. Before you go in the water, pour some of the solution into the lense and just roll it around so the whole lense is covered. Here's the trick:

Dump it out. Don't wash it out with salt water. Just dump it and put the mask right on. It's almost guaranteed not to fog up.

Sorry I couldn't have told you that before your trip though. Next time you are about to go, let me know if you're having problems with any of your equipment (cameras excepted) and if I don't know the solution, I guarantee you someone here will.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:01 am 

Yeah, we did the toothpaste thing (i will do the anti-fod thing, we were just using straight baby shampoo and washing it out with sea water. In Tuesday's blog a resolution is found (as a preview).

Monday's blog will go up later today.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:17 pm 

Monday's blog has now been posted!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:12 pm 

I have completed the Bonaire series of blog posts. I hope some of you find it enjoyable.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:40 pm 

I'm going to be in Chicago for a few days again next week, and I'll be skimming your blog for any ideas on what to do. I spent a few hours last year at the Art Institute, went up the Sears (Willis) Tower, and just mucked around town. I have no specific plans this year, besides catching a few shows and maybe I'll head out to the Aquarium. I'll be staying near the John Hancock Center.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:10 am 

If you haven't been to The Field Museum, I'd recommend it. They have an amazing dinosaur collection, and those Charles KNight murals are truly dazzling.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:10 pm 

Yeah, you're the 2nd person today to suggest it. It's one of Chicago's big museums I've never gone to.

So is that maze at the Navy Pier pretty lame? Will I be stepping on/over children if I go in it?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:49 pm 

There were no children in the maze, just bored twenty somethings. It was a 3 on a scale of one is the lamest thing ever, and ten is the coolest thing ever. I'd do it if you were down there, had time and a few dollars to kill, and had nothing better to do with your time. The time that would be much better spent at the Field.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:47 pm 

Well, I have three days, but the nights are all occupied. So perhaps the Field Museum.

But I'm a little museumed out. When I was in NYC in August, I hit up the Natural History Museum, Met Museum of Art, Museum of Modern Art, and the Guggenheim. I never regret going to them, but that's a lot of museums.

Did you head out to the Museum of Science and Industry? That's one of my childhood favorites. I'll have to dig out some photos from when they had a superhero exhibit there and I was 10.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:54 pm 

Maybe some blues? Does anyone play the blues before 7PM? Because my shows are at 7.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:53 am 

Didn't make it to the Museum of Science and Industry, but will try to hit it up on our next Chicago trip.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:54 am 

I just posted the first part of our trip to New York City for my birthday on the blog. More to come on Monday.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:11 am 
Pollution Baby

Color me fucking jealous, Asshole.

So, I need to ask, how much?

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:36 am 

Ericubus wrote:
Color me fucking jealous, Asshole.

So, I need to ask, how much?

The second most I've ever spent on a single meal for two people.

2 pre dinner cocktails
12 course tasting
paired wines
tip

$625 :shock: but worth every penny.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:28 am 
Pollution Baby

Holly Fuck!

And you won't drop $525 on an OPPO 93?!?

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:31 am 

Ericubus wrote:
Holly Fuck!

I know, I have skewed priorities. Mainly I didn't want to spend the money on an Oppo, because as far as I can tell, it only plays region free with a hardware hack, and I don't want to deal with all that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:39 am 
Pollution Baby

Oh well, don't want to sidetrack...

I think the most I've ever spent on dinner for 2 was $375, and $150 of that was wine, so you got my act beat, Sir.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:51 am 

Our worst was at The Ritz Carlton in San Francisco. Our friends said they wanted to "take us" there. I assumed that meant they were paying, especially when the wife asked me if I'd rent a tux, so we'd all look spiffy. So I lay out $170 for a cross country tux rental. Figuring that's a good deal for what I'll be eating. Pre dinner drinks, 12 course tasting with wine pairings, and 3 hours later, the check comes. My friend says to me, I guess we'll just split it down the middle. I almost spit down the middle of the table. Had I known I was going to be paying for half, I'd have skipped renting the tux, and just wore my suit jacket. That one cost me $650 for two. $820 including the tux.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:19 am 

Part 2 of my New York City blog has been posted at

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:33 am 

A new blog entry on our Boston summer excursions is up now. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:28 am 

Loved the lighthouse pictures! That lens looks awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:33 am 

caryc wrote:
Loved the lighthouse pictures! That lens looks awesome.

It was! It had to be 6 feet in diameter at the base. Also, it was amazing how many small cracks and chips there were from over the years, mostly from the oil on the fingers of people touching it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:37 am 

I know your travels are going to include Dana Point in the next couple of months. I just heard of a new breakfast place there from a couple of hardcore foodie friends. It's called the Dana Point Stack House. Apparently the French Toast is made with sliced Hawaiian bread, dipped in egg and then rolled in Captain Crunch and crushed macadamia nuts before being fried and served with coconut syrup and fresh strawberries.

Yes... I just came while typing that sentence.

Anyway, I'm going to try to get Karen to try it out with me soon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:04 am 

That sounds just awesome. Also in Southern Mass, where I'm from we call Hawaiian bread, Portuguese sweet bread. I use it for my french toast sometimes as well., but the Capn Crunch and macadamia nuts is what puts that over the top for me!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:30 am 
Singularity ∞

Kimfair wrote:
Ericubus wrote:
Holly Fuck!

I know, I have skewed priorities.

I dunno, I kind of do the same. Won't blink at dropping $100 on drinks during a night out, but I'll fret for a few weeks about whether or not I should buy that $50 video games that will provide me with 10 times the hours of entertainment. And I'm a big video game geek.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:02 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Kimfair wrote:
Ericubus wrote:
Holly Fuck!

I know, I have skewed priorities.

I dunno, I kind of do the same. Won't blink at dropping $100 on drinks during a night out, but I'll fret for a few weeks about whether or not I should buy that $50 video games that will provide me with 10 times the hours of entertainment. And I'm a big video game geek.

It's weird. I would have no problem dropping $100 on 50 $2 items, but one $100 item causes me pause. Yet, we dropped $110 (including tip) at Fenway Park at the ball game last night (on beers and food).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:46 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Won't blink at dropping $100 on drinks during a night out, but I'll fret for a few weeks about whether or not I should buy that $50 video games that will provide me with 10 times the hours of entertainment. And I'm a big video game geek.

That's presumably because you're not sober when paying for the drinks and you are sober when buying the video game. This is why I make all my large purchases immediately after coming home from the bar. No guilt whatsoever.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:58 pm 

A new blog entry on our Idaho excursion is up now. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:57 am 

First post on our Trip to French Polynesia has been posted. Enjoy!