It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:12 pm 
Canyon

Cool post. I'm glad I got to go to Riverside back before it was Six Flags. It was much cooler place back then even if it didn't have as many rides.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:35 am 

It WS much nicer then. I hate the Six Flags chain with every fiber of my being.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:39 am 
Canyon

Superman (or Bizarro as it's known now) is the only reason I go there anymore. Other than that, I tend to prefer Lake Compounce in Bristol CT these days.

I also wish I lived closer to Cedar Point.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:20 am 

Lake Compounce us awesome. Boulderdash is one of my top ten wooden coasters. They are owned by the same group that owns Kennywood in Pittsburgh, my favorite amusement park in the country. Six Flags only cares for the $. They also offer cheap yearly passes, which might seem to be a good thing, but which means that local parents who buy their sullen teens a pass to get rid of them. They hang out, clog the lines, and bother families and other patrons. I love Superman, but the new restraints don't allow me to ride it, and they emasculated the Cyclone to such a great degree as to make it almost unridable. Fuck ,em!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:11 pm 
Canyon

Kimfair wrote:
and they emasculated the Cyclone to such a great degree as to make it almost unridable. Fuck ,em!

Funny thing is, when it was Riverside the Cyclone was perfect -- easily in my top 5. Then Six Flags took over and they actually sped it up to the point where it hurt to ride it. Seriously, my back was killing me for a week after riding it. Then they tweaked again and now it's slower than ever. They should have just left it alone.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:44 pm 

No shit. That first drop with the sharp turn at the bottom was the bomb when it first opened. I did ride it when it was rough, and though it wasn't as good as originally it was still fun, if a bit painful. Now it's dull, a fatal flaw for a coaster IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:26 am 

Kimfair wrote:
They also offer cheap yearly passes, which might seem to be a good thing, but which means that local parents who buy their sullen teens a pass to get rid of them. They hang out, clog the lines, and bother families and other patrons.

Or in the case of Six Flags Magic Mountain here, there was actually a pretty large gang contingent present. Granted, I haven't been there in probably 10-plus years, however the reason I haven't gone back was they had us walk through security only slightly less oppressive than airport security and were confiscating colors, wallet chains, etc. The place was overrun with large groups of assholes cutting lines and being jerks to other patrons.

In similar fashion, Knott's Berry Farm has been sliding down also. The first time I went there was probably 18 years ago and it was still a family park with only one or two big coasters. Since then, they've attempted to compete with Six Flags by adding bigger coasters. Some of those are great (Ghost Rider is amazing) but just in the past five years it's gotten less family friendly and more about taking your money. Lots of line cutting, kids being jerks and lines that are way too long. They've also gone to that "buy the special pass to cut the line" ticket. I know it's not supposed to make that big of a difference to the regular ticket holder's wait, but you can expect two-hour plus waits for coasters even in early spring unless you pony up the extra bucks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:24 pm 

Yeah, the line cutting thing is infuriating, especially when the parks pay lip service to stopping it, but rarely do. Lousy that Knott's has gone that way. I went only once in 1979, back when they still had the steeplechase like ride. O hope the fried chicken and boysenberry pie haven't changed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:06 pm 

caryc wrote:
Loved the aerial view. I saw you talking to Shoe about the book on your travels. You should consider one about old amusement parks.

I would not buy the travel book, but I'd definitely buy Kimfair's book on amusement parks. Just sayin'.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:16 pm 

Woo Hoo! I can tell prospective publishers that I have one confirmed sale!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:34 pm 

Yes. Yes you can.

It's a neat topic. Maybe it's been covered to death. I really enjoy the dark ride photos and postcards, it's such a lost art.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:40 am 

Kimfair wrote:
hope the fried chicken and boysenberry pie haven't changed.

They haven't. Still, it's not worth driving all the way there just for the food. There used to be a Mrs. Knott's restaurant in Irvine that served the same food. They closed it and turned it into a Mexican restaurant... because of course we have a shortage of Mexican food here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:31 am 

Just posted a new postcard column. This encompasses the rest of Massachusetts, alphabetically through Nebraska. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:18 am 
Canyon

Kimfair wrote:
Just posted a new postcard column. This encompasses the rest of Massachusetts, alphabetically through Nebraska. Enjoy!

Some cool stuff in these columns. Keep 'em coming.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:14 am 
Minor Depression

I enjoyed this and learned something - and I don't even like rollercoasters.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:37 am 

Thanks, guys! I guess I should have put the link in, so here it is.

http://www.gapingmediahole.com/blog/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:04 am 

I posted this on Facebook as well, but that card of the ride entrance with all the lattice work and American flag banners totally reminded me of Bioshock Infinite. Another great post, Kimfair!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:37 pm 

Thanks again, Cary. The next few columns should be really good, as they will encompass New Hampshire, New Jersey, and New York, including at least a three, maybe four part column on Coney Island!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:34 pm 

Kimfair, my dark ride expert.

I went to the Ye Old Mill at the Minnesota State Fair ( http://www.twincities.com/ci_21446379/s ... first-kiss ) - around since 1915. It was not without it's charm, but a bit disappointing. I've imagined these Tunnel of Love attractions to be a bit more... grandiose? It was mostly pitch black, and we'd see a diorama that was fairly small for like 4 seconds. Maybe 4 or 5 of them altogether. And then that's it. Has pop culture lied to me? They always look so neat in fictional depictions.

Also I'm hoping to hit up a themepark in Tunisia with a Pirates of the Carribean knock-off ride.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:17 pm 

Yeah, that's about it. I've been on The Old Mill in Kennywood, and their scenes may have skeletons (if I remember correctly), but they were mostly just a way for a young couple to cuddle in the dark together!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:05 pm 

Skeletons!

Ours were more gnomes and deer and more gnomes.

I appreciate that it's still running though. It's a nice piece of history and glimpse back to cheap thrills of times long past.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:08 pm 

They changed that one you mentioned into Garfield. Complete with Pepsi product placement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNv3_ZotdFI

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:01 pm 

That was far more frightening than the skeletons were!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:01 pm 
Sinkhole

I could look at "The Pit" photos all day. Fascinating!

More more more :thumbs:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:20 pm 

crikey wrote:
I could look at "The Pit" photos all day. Fascinating!

More more more :thumbs:

I've got another written, just have to make sure I have all the images set. It should be up soon, if not before I go to London, then soon after.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:28 am 
Pollution Baby

I never new White City used to be an amusement park. I have learned something, Mr. Fair, thank you.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:01 pm 

Over two years (fuck, how did it get to be that long?) in the making, I have posted the first new postcard column on New Hampshire, and the first installment of New Jersey. Enjoy!

http://www.gapingmediahole.com/blog/201 ... nj-part-1/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:04 pm 
Pollution Baby

My work has an outing to Canobie Lake Park every year, the kids love it, and they have some good coasters now.

Here is a current view thanks to Google Earth of that 1960's postcard.
Attachment:
File comment: 2010's
Canobie Lake Park.jpg
Canobie Lake Park.jpg [ 139.43 KiB | Viewed 3102 times ]

And one that shows more of the new stuff.
Attachment:
File comment: Overhead View
Canobie Lake Park 2.jpg
Canobie Lake Park 2.jpg [ 145.69 KiB | Viewed 3102 times ]

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:41 pm 

Nice pics! We haven'e been to Canobie in a few years, we really should remedy that. Haven't ridden the two newer coasters there, but I love the Cannonball!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:21 am 

Carowinds here in Charlotte have been heavily promoting their new coaster the Fury 325. They claim it's the worlds tallest and fastest giga-coaster.

https://www.carowinds.com/swarm

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:44 am 

John Carter wrote:
Carowinds here in Charlotte have been heavily promoting their new coaster the Fury 325. They claim it's the worlds tallest and fastest giga-coaster.

We're actually going to a roller coaster club event there at the end of the month. It's at Carowinds, and Myrtle Beach in So. Carolina. If it didn't mean losing $300 on the club fees, though, I might have cancelled the trip due to the new anti-LGBT law you guys have. I will be trying to spend as little money as I can in your state.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:19 am 

Kimfair wrote:
John Carter wrote:

We're actually going to a roller coaster club event there at the end of the month. It's at Carowinds, and Myrtle Beach in So. Carolina. If it didn't mean losing $300 on the club fees, though, I might have cancelled the trip due to the new anti-LGBT law you guys have. I will be trying to spend as little money as I can in your state.

Well half of Carowinds is in South Carolina so just make sure you are on the right side when you start paying for things.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:25 am 

Lol! I am looking forward to the trip as I've only ever passed through No Carolina, and have never been to So Carolina, and I like adding states that I haven't visited.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:35 am 

For what it's worth I doubt the law will stand a Supreme Court challenge, the removal of certain workers rights that have been around since 1985 are likely to see it shot down. The law in general was a knee jerk reaction to the law passed in Charlotte allowing the LGBT community to use whatever restroom they identified with at that time. I don't think people are in general anti-LGBT I just think they are tired of being told they have to tolerate everyone and everything that they see as an attack on their faith, which no one is being tolerate of at this time. To them Muslims are constantly being painted in a good light by the politicians or the press as non-violent but they are responsible for almost all of the attacks of terrorism. Whereas they see Christians constantly be told that they must tolerate things that are against their faith despite the lack of violence on their part.

Letterboxed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:28 pm 
Pollution Baby

Kimfair wrote:
Nice pics! We haven'e been to Canobie in a few years, we really should remedy that. Haven't ridden the two newer coasters there, but I love the Cannonball!
Believe it or not, they actually have a place with amazingly good ribs, and very good pulled pork. The Dancing Bear Canteen, which is tucked far and away in an isolated corner (across form the Timber Splash Water Coaster), but search it out if you go, most of the other food around the park is either OK or simply passable, but those ribs are worth the trip.