It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:04 pm 
Minor Depression

Wow. I'll be first in line.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:11 pm 

Watched Dead Snow again tonight to get ready for Dead vs. Red. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:30 am 

IT'S FEST DAY...!!!!

Setting off on my journey in about an hour, and will be there around 4:30-5:00 PM. See everyone there! :) :thumbs:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:06 am 
Pollution Baby

Downhuman wrote:
doing a Google Hangout in between the movies. ..

Will you be posting the links from here?

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:19 pm 
Singularity ∞

Really sorry I'll be missing it.

I HAD made plans to go. They were all but finalized, stuff was all set, all that was left was to notify Mr. Host. Then, the same night I had made the plans, my wife pointed out that I had a family obligation I couldn't skip.

So tonight I'll be watching my son litigate in a major mock trial competition instead of watching zombies or whatever.

Have fun, everyone!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:03 pm 
Sinkhole

:( Boo Shoe Boo! I hope your son kills it. We'll miss you.

Here are the official start times to help you gauge Hangout appearances:
6:00 The Incredible Melting Man, 8:54 Housebound, 11:01 Dead Snow 2, 1:01 Tere Bin Laden, 2:56 The Apple, 4:41 R-100, 6:36 The Visitor, 8:54 The Pit, 10:41 Ghost Graduation, 12:29 Antiviral, 2:37 Girly, 4:39 Big Ass Spider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:34 pm 
Canyon

Ericubus wrote:
Downhuman wrote:
doing a Google Hangout in between the movies. ..

Will you be posting the links from here?

Sure. I'll post them here and I'll send out notifications 15 minutes prior on Facebook through the Forever Fest group.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:13 pm 
Canyon

Link to Hangout: https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/g6s4 ... pkck7brxya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:22 am 
Canyon

New link to Hangout: https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/g4bx ... g6rsojmm4a

FYI, this link will change each time I start the Hangout over. I'll just keep editing the URL in this post.

Last edited by Downhuman on Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:18 am 

Oh wait, it's video only? I thought there would be, like, text and stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:10 am 
Singularity ∞

I'll probably be jumping on in a few hours. Have to get some work done first.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:17 pm 
Canyon

JFelix wrote:
Oh wait, it's video only? I thought there would be, like, text and stuff.

You can get on and just text chat if you want, Google Hangouts allows for both.

Do you have a Google+ account? I can send you an invite if you want.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:50 pm 
Canyon

Fest is officially over but we will be keeping the Hangout open for another 45 minutes to an hour or so. Log in if you want to chat -- invites have already been resent.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:19 pm 
Canyon

Hangouts are all done.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:34 pm 
Pollution Baby

Made it back, alive and everything.

Thanks for another awesome fest, Mr. Fair and Ms. Tigerpal! Good to see everyone, especially downhuman and Cary.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:56 pm 

Wish I could have checked in some more...I'm still on that same video shoot...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:18 am 

I would have given anything to be sitting next to Monty, watching him as he watched The Apple.

Or slept through it because he's allergic to all things amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:18 am 

Like, I put on my copy of the soundtrack, that's how sad I am for missing such an event.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:12 am 
Sinkhole

A big thank you to the best damn group of people to stay up with! Thank you Kimfair for taking care of us in the best way. You can all be in my Zombie Squad, cause I know you'll all stay alert on duty. Except Dick, who gets Freddy Krueger patrol cause somebody's gotta do it. My camera didn't make it through all 12 films by a long way, but I got two photos to prove it happened. Tell Dr. Ted Nelson we had crackers.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:30 am 
Pollution Baby

And when the movies were over, Mr. Felix, we watched some of JAM, thank you for that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:54 am 

I'm home. Still feel like crap even after 10+ hours of sleep, but that's always the way.

Anyways, Fest was terrific fun as always, even though there were more stinkers this year as opposed to the last few Fests. My thoughts:

1.) The Incredible Melting Man: :hole1: :half: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole:

Just awful, but in that amateurish, fun 70's way that's always a blast to fill in with Fest commentary. "I'M. DR. TED. NELLLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!" Loved the body filled with sparklers.

2.) Housebound: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole:

Cheese grater to the face...'nuff said (ironically, that's exactly where the Shredder from TMNT originally came from...one of the creators put a cheese grater on his arm, and quipped, "Wouldn't it be awesome if someone had these as a weapon?").

3.) Dead Snow 2: Dead vs. Red: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole:

Maybe not quite as good as the original (and it's odd that it switches randomly to English), but still plenty of great moments, like the epic "CPR" gag and the ending set to a song that will be replayed a grand total of FOUR times over the course of the day.

4.) Tere Bin Laden: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole:

Like most Bollywood stuff shown at Fest, this is cute, fluffy and easy to sit through.

5.) The Apple: :half: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole:

Hey-hey-hey! Disco's in flames! (???)

6.) R100: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole:

Where can I sign up for a drive-by dominatrix service? Initially interesting, but ultimately not as good as the director's Symbol.

7.) The Visitor: :half: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole:

Buh?

8.) The Pit: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole:

Creepy kids with creepy stuffed animals are always fun. Did everyone own a shirt with horizontal stripes in the late 70's and early 80's?

9.) Ghost Graduation: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half:

This was the clear highlight of Fest for me, a delightful mix of The Frighteners and The Breakfast Club with big laughs and a warm-hearted conclusion.

10.) Antiviral: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole:

I'd have to watch this again without being under a late-period Fest haze before properly rating it, but it's definitely a Cronenberg production, with the same elegantly sterile intelligence that Brandon's dad brings to his films. At least it wasn't as trying as Cosmopolis was (which I watched fully awake, and which had me dozing off only an hour into a ninety-minute movie).

11.) Girly: :BOD:

Bonus points for the titular Girly's ridiculously short skirts, however.

12.) Big Ass Spider: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole:

A minor entry in the "50's sci-fi homage" subgenre, but it's unpretentious, amusing and the perfect capper to Fest.

Anyways, despite some real clunkers this year, this was a blast as always, and I'm always sad to have to bail before the post-fest Pizza (grabbed a pretzel at South Station before heading home...and the trains are all on time again, hooray!). Thanks as always to Kimfair and Tigerpal for hosting and the table of snacks (I have to get a bag of those Cheese-It puffs...delicious) and the mementos (love the squishy skeletons, and I nabbed a handful of flicks from the giveaway pile I will detail in the "track your purchases" thread). See you again in 363! :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:51 am 
Canyon

Ericubus wrote:
And when the movies were over, Mr. Felix, we watched some of JAM, thank you for that.

That shit was the perfect post-Fest treat to accompany our pizza and sleep deprivation. I MUST own it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:22 pm 

Thanks everyone for coming. Did everyone do OK in the hospital parking lot? Did anyone have to pay, if so, how much was it over $20 (what I knew was 24 hours worth)?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:17 pm 
Canyon

Kimfair wrote:
Thanks everyone for coming. Did everyone do OK in the hospital parking lot? Did anyone have to pay, if so, how much was it over $20 (what I knew was 24 hours worth)?

I lucked out, the kid running the booth waived me by without me paying. He must have not have looked very closely at the date on the ticket and thought I had only been there for an hour or so.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:18 pm 
Canyon

Just wanted thank Kimfair and Tigerpal for once again putting together a first-rate experience. Every movie was memorable in one way or another (for better or worse) Highlights for me:

Housebound -- Far and away the best flick this year. Wickedly funny and unpredictable. Surprised me in the same way The Cabin in the Woods did.

Ghost Graduation -- I missed the first half of it but was drawn into it nonetheless. As loving an homage to 80's teen movies as you're ever going to find.

Dead Snow 2 -- I haven't seen the first one but this did a great job of getting you up to speed without making you feel like you missed something. Great absurd fun with genuinely funny moments of comedy.

R100 -- Every bit the mindfuck that Symbol was. And just as funny and engaging.

The Visitor -- My second viewing but still as trainwreck-fascinating as the first time I saw it.

The Apple -- Awful through and through but it made me strangely nostalgic for that mercifully-short Solid Gold era of hyper-glitzy entertainment. I could see myself owning it someday and I can't for the life of me come up with a half-way decent reason as to why I want it.

Next year can't come soon. I hope to see you all again

Edit: Check the movies-watched thread for my reviews. Although, The Incredible Melting Man and Antiviral will be missing from the list (I came in near the end of Melting Man and slept through Antiviral).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:12 pm 
Pollution Baby

Kimfair wrote:
He waved me out without even looking at a ticket. I think they are allowing free parking with all the parking problems. The sign does say $20 for anything over 24hours, there is no posted time limit.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:02 pm 
Pollution Baby

On a fest scale...

1.) The Incredible Melting Man:
:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole:
Very 70's level of cheese and ineptitude. but made with love. Plenty to laugh at, and briskly paced.

2.) Housebound:
:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole:
Good movie with a healthy sense of itself and it's humor, and plenty of gore.

3.) Dead Snow 2: Dead vs. Red:
Another one like Housebound, well made and told with a good sense of itself.

4.) Tere Bin Laden:
- I fell asleep for about half of it

5.) The Apple:
:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half:
Horrible film in every way, but so much eye candy to laugh at. Some of the worst music in a musical I've had the fortune to watch with the like-minded.

6.) R100:
The Japanese are fucking twisted.

7.) The Visitor:
:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole:
Good music, mostly good acting, and out there plot. Cheesy goodness.

8.) The Pit:
This is what bad is all about. Creepy kids, and not always intentionally, and boobs.

9.) Ghost Graduation:
:hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole:
It was actually a decent film, not bad enough for a really good fest film.

10.) Antiviral:
:nohole: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole:
A good regular film, a horrible fest film. Paced like an amputee on a treadmill, and only one really freaky weird scene. A freaky weird premise, but it needed more Japanese level fucked-upedness.

11.) Girly:
:hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole: :nohole:
Started off well, but slowed down to much and we were all cheering/hoping for the end to come.

12.) Big Ass Spider:
:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half:
Hit all the right notes on the over the top disaster action flick. Fun for the whole fest family, and a great one to end on.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:36 pm 

Why the director wanted to commit suicide over the reaction to this movie is beyond me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:52 pm 

Finding a copy of the soundtrack to The Apple on vinyl is still my record store crowning achievement and if my apartment were to catch fire, it would probably be the first thing I grabbed before running out, no joke.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:59 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:00 pm 

And yes, I too noted that the receptionist looked like Julianne Moore (and the lead was like the genetic fusion of Tom Cruise and David Hasslehoff).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:01 pm 

Ericubus wrote:
10.) Antiviral:
Paced like an amputee on a treadmill

:lol: :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:08 pm 

I am totally into New Wave Disco Silver Makeup Julianne Moore.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:11 pm 

Also: Mechanical Animals-era Marilyn Manson time travels to show up during the Acid Freak-out right before "I'm Coming" starts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:04 am 

Monterey Jack wrote:
Ericubus wrote:
10.) Antiviral:
Paced like an amputee on a treadmill

:lol: :thumbs:

:lol: :lol:

I knew this was a problem with this one, and it was hard to find a good place to show it. Oh well, there's bound to be some clunkers. A Town Called Panic, anyone?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 345 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next