It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:41 am 

Today is my last day of work this week! Tomorrow I make lasagna, and get the house ready. The storm looks like it might graze us Friday into Sat with a dusting of snow, but nothing to bad. just 2 days to go!

Don't forget the particulars.
Fest 24 starts at 6 PM SHARP on Friday March 4th 2016
It runs through 6 PM on Saturday 3/5/16

It is held at my apartment:
92 Murdock St #2
Brighton, MA 02135
617-783-2769

Parking should be available in the neighborhood this year. Just obey no parking areas, and do not go up my street past the next side street as up there is resident only parking. Dinner will be served after the first film (8ish). I hope to see as many of you there as is possible. Looking forward to another wonderful year of Fest!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:32 am 

Just checked in for my flight.

:thumbs:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:41 am 

Looks like the Bro will be able to pick me up after Fest this year. I told him to come get me at 7:00, so for the first time, I'll be able to relax after the last movie instead of rushing out the door to make the train. :thumbs: Is it okay if I share your phone number, Kimfair? I've already given him the address.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:58 am 

Monterey Jack wrote:
Looks like the Bro will be able to pick me up after Fest this year. I told him to come get me at 7:00, so for the first time, I'll be able to relax after the last movie instead of rushing out the door to make the train. :thumbs: Is it okay if I share your phone number, Kimfair? I've already given him the address.

Sure no problem. You'll get to partake in post Fest pizza!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:47 am 
Pollution Baby

caryc wrote:

:thumbs: x2

...and the 5-Hour Energies are on their way...

99% sure I will be there too.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:59 am 

Kimfair wrote:
Sure no problem. You'll get to partake in post Fest pizza!

I know. I'm excited.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:46 pm 

Gave the Bro Kimfair's number, and told him to give a jingle a little past 6:00 PM to let me know he's on the way, and to look for the building with the string of Christmas lights on the second floor, so he'll be able to find the place easily. I am officially all set. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:29 am 

Cary should be leaving LA within the hour, and here we stand less than 36 hours until Fest #24! I have a full day of chores to get done, so this will be my only post today (and tomorrow!). Looking forward to seeing all of you (or as many as can come) at Fest tomorrow. The weather still looks OK, with a chance of light snow, a dusting at most right now. Last thing, I'm posting the timing of the movies, for folks who want to see something specific, and can't make the whole thing.
1. Veerana (1988) 6 pm Sharp!
2. The Last Of Sheila (1973) 9:23 pm
3. Capitao Falcao (2015) 11:43 pm
4. Roar (1981) 1:49 am
5. Bad Biology (2008) 3:52 am
6. Dude Bro Party Massacre 3 (2015) 5:32 am
7. Blood Creek (2009) 7:30 am
8. I, Madman (1989) 9:25 am
9. Fantastic Planet (1973) 11:14 am
10. Sexy Killer (2008) 12:46 pm
11. Frozen (2010) 2:46 pm
12. Wolfcop (2014) 4:39 pm
And you know us, those times WILL be adhered to within a minute or two at worst. See everyone soon!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:58 pm 
Sinkhole

Ericubus wrote:
caryc wrote:

:thumbs: x2

...and the 5-Hour Energies are on their way...

99% sure I will be there too.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:50 pm 
Singularity ∞

Kickass everyone! Hope to see ya next year!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:41 pm 

So excited...picked up a cool T-Shirt this afternoon, and got into the Fest spirit (literally) by watching last year's delightful Ghost Graduation again. :) As usual, I'll be taking the 12:30 train into South station, which will arrive about ten past 1:00, and I'll spend a few hours selling/shopping/getting lunch before I head to Kimfair's place, and I should arrive between 4:00 and 5:00. See you there!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:28 am 
Sinkhole

Monterey Jack wrote:
So excited...picked up a cool T-Shirt this afternoon, and got into the Fest spirit (literally) by watching last year's delightful Ghost Graduation again. :) As usual, I'll be taking the 12:30 train into South station, which will arrive about ten past 1:00, and I'll spend a few hours selling/shopping/getting lunch before I head to Kimfair's place, and I should arrive between 4:00 and 5:00. See you there!

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Just over eight hours to go!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:02 am 
Minor Depression

For those who may not be able to attend, I'm going to try to tweet micro reviews, or impressions, really, of each film. Follow me at @twood17.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:31 am 

Okay, 14 1/2 hours of sleep later, and I can finally give my still-addled thoughts about Fest #24. A pretty great lineup this year...even the bad ones generally were fun to watch and generated plenty of good commentary (too much, in at least one case we'll get to below). The movies were paced/scheduled just right, and I discovered some real gems along the way, so my general grades...

1. Veerana (1988): :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole: :nohole:

This kind of low-budget Bollywood weirdness is the kind of stuff that's great with a Fest commentary track, but I'm sure I would find infuriating watching alone by myself at home. Still, a perfect kick-off for the evening. Tuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurds........

2. The Last Of Sheila (1973): :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole:

Actually a pretty clever. gimmicky whodunit, with a terrific cast (seeing Ian "Cocksucker" McShane looking so young was a shock, and Raquel Welch in a bikini is always a treat) and one of the best villain reveals of the night.

3. Capitao Falcao (2015): :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole:

Superhero parodies have become every bit as rote as the movie they're satirizing by this point, but this is one of the better ones.

4. Roar (1981): :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half:

This might be the most irresponsible thing I have ever seen captured on camera by a professional film crew, and was the most wildly entertaining movie of the night. What "plot" the movie has is basically background to seeing a well-known mother/daughter acting dynasty getting "adorably" mauled by large, predatory animals for 90 minutes, and I didn't want it to end. Definitely buying the Blu-Ray for this.

5. Bad Biology (2008): :hole1: :half: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole:

Are you trying to put me off sex for the next forty years, Kimfair?! :flip:

6. Dude Bro Party Massacre 3 (2015): :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole:

More clever in concept than in execution, this was still good fun, although it would have been funnier had they replaced the adult language with absurd "Inanity Profanity" like they did with TV broadcasts back in the 80's.

7. Blood Creek (2009): :hole1: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole:

This is the one big dud of Fest, placed at just the right spot for me to be seriously zoning out and with virtually no commentary from anyone to keep me focused. And I supposedly missed out on the most memorable scene (a zombie horse pulling someone through a window, or something) when I took a piss.

8. I, Madman (1989): :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole:

An interesting "art imitates life imitates art" premise (with an ending that was weirdly similar to the later Stephen King adaptation The Dark Half), enlivened by the loveliness of Near Dark's Jenny Wright and some cool stop-motion effects. Some serious 80's shoulder padding going on, though.

9. Fantastic Planet (1973): :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole: A bit too slow-paced, but some lovely artwork, even if calling this "animated" is something of a misnomer...it was more like what you'd expect from flash animation these days. I'd have to watch it again "fresh".

10. Sexy Killer (2008): :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole:

A voluptuous, Spanish Winona Ryder killing people at random and zombies?! Loads of fun.

11. Frozen (2010): :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole:

I really need to watch this again, because it was covered up by so much Fest patron commentary that I think I missed about a third of the spoken dialogue. Still, for a film with such a limited premise, they wrung as much suspense as they probably could have out of it, even with a sub-90 minute running time. Funny that a movie titled Frozen starred Iceman.

12. Wolfcop (2014): :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole:

Like last year's Big Ass Spider, this was the right movie to send people off on...light, silly and enjoyably cheesy. Mmmmm, liquor donuts....

Anyways, I had a blast as always, and because my brother was able to pick me up an hour after Fest ended, I was able to enjoy some post-Fest pizza for once, and not have to scramble my way out the door three minutes after the last movie to make sure I'd catch the train, which thankfully cut out a lot of stress and effort on my part. I'm definitely in for a 25th anniversary T-shirt next year, so see you all there in 364! :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:01 am 

Monterey Jack wrote:
even if calling this "animated" is something of a misnomer...it was more like what you'd expect from flash animation these days.

:noclue:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:05 am 

Just saying that the animation was severely limited, like Clutch Cargo or something.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:52 pm 

I liken the artwork more as odes to many varying artists, and think that the style of animation fits the story perfectly.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:16 pm 
Pollution Baby

Yes, it's more a Salvador Dali Terry Gilliam mashup using colored pencils.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:15 pm 

Laloux's paper cut-out style was pretty unique at the time, and directly inspired what Terry Gilliam would become famous for. The film took years to make, required a large team of animators in Czechoslovakia (during a time of serious civil unrest/Soviet fuckery), was financed with endowments from two separate governments, and utilized world-famous talent (Paul Grimault from France, and Jiri Trnka from Czech). It won 2nd place at Cannes, and is - today - considered one of the greatest animated films of all time.

And despite that, Laloux abandoned the stop-motion cut-out look, opting for traditional hand-drawn styles for his next two films. Because he knew Monty would hate them if he didn't.

But seriously Monty, check out Gandahar, and Time Masters for a different approach to Rene Laloux's bizarre imagination.

And I can't believe you didn't mention the soundtrack to Fantastic Planet.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:08 pm 
Pollution Baby

Thank you Mr. Fair and Ms. Tiger for all that you do. You two really do put on a great fest. And always great to see the 'holes there in meatspace.

My personal film ratings, on a fest scale...

1. Veerana (1988)
:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half:
Near perfection in its fast paced absurdity. It only lost half a hole due to the turds of the round table never dancing whenever they were able.

2. The Last Of Sheila (1973)
:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole:
A decent film that had just enough Hollywood slime to be lovingly ridiculed. It was even more fun with an overtly gay man sitting next to me during the HOMOSEXUAL talks.

3. Capitao Falcao (2015)
:hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole: :nohole:
It started off very strong, but just before the half way point started to drag relentlessly. A fun film, spewing the ideals of fascism only a true Trump supporter could love.

4. Roar (1981)
:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1:
As I said many times, this is the dumbest film I have ever had the extreme fortune to enjoy. The reckless disregard for human health and well being was beautifully splashed before our wanting eyes, and there was even a homage to The Birds starring its star.

5. Bad Biology (2008)
:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole:
This was an unpleasant film. I will never watch this film again. No character was enjoyable or in any way pleasant. It has all the love and warmth of a dumpster baby mother, literally. One would think a film with a POV detached penis raping at will to the overt enjoyment of its victims would have something pleasant about it, but alas, no, twas utter garbage. Watching with a fest crowd wrung out the only enjoyment this back-alley abortion had to offer.

6. Dude Bro Party Massacre 3 (2015)
:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole:
Much more fun than the previous dive into debauchery, this one had more humor and a cold blooded yet inventive psycho killing femme.

7. Blood Creek (2009)
:hole1: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole:
This was a bigger budget, well shot crapfest with a lot of potential. I hate lazy writing, and this seemed to be a class on the subject. From the Three-is-Company misunderstanding that could have been cleared up with one sentence between people that were already talking, to completely nonsensical choices by everyone on film. EX: The awesome horse zombie that breaks through the protection on the house working perfectly the first time to be completely abandoned by the bad guy for . . . no discernible reason.

8. I, Madman (1989)
:hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole:
Some great stuff towards the end, but mostly a slow burn and another victim of the completely lazy writing syndrome. EX: This girl, that seems a bit nutty, just happens to be around all these lovely killings of people she knows and not one muther fucker in the film thinks for one second that she may have done it.

9. Fantastic Planet (1973)
:nohole: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole:
Love this film as a teenage stoned and thinking deeeeeeeeeply piece, but with a group there just isn't enough to go on and the pacing is paint-drying-esque.

10. Sexy Killer (2008)
:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole:
Fest gold. The second female serial killer of the evening, and she has the personality to back it up, along with the innate hotness of a punk rock front woman. This was a fast paced and beautifully written film.

11. Frozen (2010)
:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole:
Yes, we are all expert survivalist, well, compared to these three fucking knuckle draggers we ALL are. A brain dead monkey on Xanax would make better decisions than these three. One can only hope that the survivor was rendered unable to reproduce. It was fun to have a group of people to make fun of them with.

12. Wolfcop (2014)
:hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1:
Perfection! One liners, odd plot twists, fully embraced kickassery, just a lovely film to enjoy with lovely people.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:00 am 

A bunch of sleep and a plane ride later, now I'm sitting in my house in SoCal while hail falls on my roof. Oddly, it feels kind of like I'm hallucinating but I know I didn't hallucinate the following movies and I also had some very different opinions than the other two posts so far.

1. Veerana (1988) - :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole:
Fun for what it was. This is the kind of movie that I love to watch with a Fest crowd. My favorite thing about this film may have been the absurd love song from our hero after he's met a girl mere hours before. Also, the turd warlocks and a giant idol that Rob Zombie needs to recreate for his stage show were a lot of fun. Hitchcock dropping the soap was something I did not expect.

2. The Last of Sheila (1973) - :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole:
This is the sleeper hit of the Fest in my opinion. Other movies we saw overwhelmed with shock, cheesy effects or sheer insanity. This one was smart, unfolded at its own pace and made you question and keep up with the details if you wanted to understand the reveal. Plus a brutally wicked game to boot. I'll be watching this again and probably more than once more just to pick up details I missed.

3. Capitao Falcao - (2015) - :hole1: :half: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole:
I got the joke in the first few minutes and as Ericubus said, it started strong but about a third of the way through it got slow for me. Really, really slow. It was the only movie of the night that I was truly in danger of falling asleep during.

4. Roar - (1981) - :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1:
I've said this to a number of people because it's true. I started smiling within the first three minutes of this film and never stopped. Out on the front porch, I even told Tigerpal, "I'm so fucking happy right now." Just the absurdity, insanity and mayhem of this film lit me up like a Christmas tree. Someone in the crowd said "Mad Max: Fury Road" has nothing on this film." They are one hundred percent correct.

5. Bad Biology (2008) - :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole:
The more I think about this film, the more I like it. Kimfair and I were talking yesterday and started cracking up just recalling all the scenes that were so obviously written by an adolescent male brain. You know, because women normally recline on couches wearing only a robe and reading, or standing in the shower with the water turned off and rubbing themselves all over. My favorite line of the night may have been Monty's. When the girl beats a man's head into the floor, killing him while riding to orgasm, I heard Monty yell out, "Still worth it!"

6. Dude Bro Party Massacre 3 (2015) - :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole:
Another one I liked way more than I expected. I was expecting something along the lines of Thankskilling or Evil Bong. This was far more clever than those with more jokes that hit. I'd watch it again with friends any time.

7. Blood Creek (2009) - :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole:
Why the hate for this movie? It's not bad. Well, not that bad. At the very least it's the best evil horse necromancer movie I've ever seen. Sure there's sloppy writing but it's still a fun premise and not a horrible way to kill an hour and a half.

8. I, Madman (1989) - :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole:
Another movie with the look and feel of the Reanimator movies. It is a slow burn and yes, I definitely thought the protagonist was the real killer and couldn't believe no on else did. Still these types of films always find a place in my DVD player. I really enjoyed this one and look forward to seeing it again soon.

9. Fantastic Planet (1973) - :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole:
It's a classic that I've seen stills from in magazines for years. I'd never seen the movie so this was a treat for me. Also, anyone who gives this no holes is not looking at this with perspective. Meaning, you didn't watch fucking Spermula. THAT is a "no holes" movie (pun intended).

10. Sexy Killer (2008) - :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1:
I loved everything about this movie. Macarena Gomez has now been in three of my favorite movies (Dagon, Witching & Bitching, Sexy Killer). I think this means I need to find more of her stuff because she obviously picks scripts that I like. Also, I squirmed when I realized this was the movie that played "Barbie Girl" repeatedly. I was subjected to months of that song and really dislike it. I forgot it was even playing through most of this film.

11. Frozen (2010) - :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole:
As others have pointed out, you couldn't hear this movie for the people yelling at the screen. I told Mike yesterday that I thought it worked excellently as a silent film. Maybe that's the key to enjoying it. At the same time, I can say, I probably won't watch it again. I didn't hate it though. It's just another movie about three idiots doing idiot things to get themselves in an idiot situation before dying like the idiots they are. I'm only giving it two stars because this particular idiotic group did more talking and less dying on screen than most. I don't give two shits about your puppy back at home. There are full grown ones waiting to eat you below. Let's get to it.

12. Wolfcop (2014) - :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole:
It rides the line of cheesy and great almost perfectly. Someone else said it was the perfect movie to end Fest on and they're not wrong. I'm looking forward to watching this one again also as I'm sure more gems are hidden than I picked up the first time. I love the fact that as an alcoholic, he's weak but as an alcohol guzzling werewolf he's a hirstute Popeye. Fucking brilliant!

Overall, one of the best lineups in the six years I've been going and a great group of people to hang out with. I can't wait to see you all again next year!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:10 am 
Pollution Baby

caryc wrote:

9. Fantastic Planet (1973) - :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole:
It's a classic that I've seen stills from in magazines for years. I'd never seen the movie so this was a treat for me. Also, anyone who gives this no holes is not looking at this with perspective. Meaning, you didn't watch fucking Spermula. THAT is a "no holes" movie (pun intended).

My ratings are strictly as a fest film, not as a film in and of itself. I love Fantastic Planet, and have watched it many times, usually after a few hits. As a fest film it is far to slow paced and not enough overt nuttiness/WTF?!? moments to really get into on that level.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:33 am 
Pollution Baby

caryc wrote:

7. Blood Creek (2009) - :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole:
Why the hate for this movie? It's not bad. Well, not that bad. At the very least it's the best evil horse necromancer movie I've ever seen. Sure there's sloppy writing but it's still a fun premise and not a horrible way to kill an hour and a half.
It didn't work as a fest film or as a film, here are my expanded reasons, for you, the one person that may actually care... no spoiler warnings because I will be doing anyone that hasn't seen it yet a favor by giving them a reason to not watch it.

The film was beautifully shot, and paced, and acted, but what they were acting out was complete horse shit, not even zombie horse shit, which would have been awesome. It makes every frustratingly lazy writing decision there is. I can get behind bad writing, even enjoy it, but lazy writing is unforgivable, you need to have some love and respect for what you are doing even if you are horrible at it. Beyond what I already mentioned, there was also the younger brother completely disregarding the orders given to him, leaving captives (that probably want to kill him) unattended, going exactly where he was told not to. The bad guy evil genius making every misstep and he had a plan that worked, run the giant animal you control through the thinly walled house, perfect, and it worked, so the next best step is to gallop around the house for hours and wait till everyone comes out. And then he gets control of the zombie latest victim and . . . doesn't open the door. All that ads up to me, the lonely observer, never getting into the film on any level. It's like they took the script that some well known horror writer dropped when he was 12 and thought they found gold. The premise was good, interesting, and shit upon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:29 am 

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank caryc, ericubus, Downhuman, Manphibian, and Monty for coming out to Fest once again. It really has become a very special weekend. Anyway, enough of the sentiment, here's my take.

1. Veerana (1988) :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole:
Lots of fun, with the what the fuck turd head people, songs that seemed spliced in from another movie, and not a single vampire to be seen, though there was some blood drinking. And I knew I'd seen the turd heads (or something similar before. Behold 1966's It!
2. The Last Of Sheila (1973) :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half:
I am biased, as I adore this movie. I've seen it a bunch, and it always entertains
3. Capitao Falcao (2015) :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole: :nohole:
The only time I almost nodded off was during this, in the second half. As everyone has said, it started off strong then...
4. Roar (1981) :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1:
This is a must own for anyone who enjoys films. The audacity and sheer stupidity on display in this film makes ones' mind spin.
5. Bad Biology (2008) :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole:
I still think that JFelix was completely correct when he called this film in a conversation "so sincere".
6. Dude Bro Party Massacre 3 (2015) :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole:
A huge surprise for me, I thought it was going to be a real middle of the night stinker, and it was funny, clever, and made fun of a lot of the right things. Also this film and Bad Biology contained the phrase "vagina face", the first time two Fest films were able to accomplish that.
7. Blood Creek (2009) :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole:
Yeah, the writing was lazy, and the decisions made horrible, but at least it had a guy who kept ripping his face off, and zombie horses, even if those zombie horses did anything helpful, except for that one time. Pretty to look at too.
8. I, Madman (1989) :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole:
I love this movie, and was so glad to finally be able to show it. I will not apologize for the pacing, it works for the story.
9. Fantastic Planet (1973) :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1:
I showed this mainly because tigerpal had not seen it somehow, and it's a film that should be seen. The pacing is a bit slow, but I find that the background vistas, strange native flora and fauna, and what I think is beautiful animation, more than make up for that, and it's 72 minute running time helps.
10. Sexy Killer (2008) :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1:
The first film on this list that I don't own, that I will sometime own. Sexy, funny, brutally violent, and surprise zombie movie. Fucking A!
11. Frozen (2010) :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole:
The movie's a bit better when you can hear ALL the dialogue, but I understand people's frustration with the stupidity of the main characters, but to be fair, a solution that was offered by the crowd, tie the sleeves of their coats together, then to the lowest point of the ski lift. You'd lessen the level of the drop by almost half, and if you just tuck and roll when you hit the snow, you're far less likely to get your tibiae broken, and get eaten by wolves, had not occurred to me on my previous two viewings.
12. Wolfcop (2014) :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1:
The only other movie I'm buying. Hilarious, funny, and all around perfect send off to Fest #24.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:01 pm 
Pollution Baby

Kimfair wrote:
5. Bad Biology (2008) :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole:
I still think that JFelix was completely correct when he called this film in a conversation "so sincere".
You can just see the 'dudes' sitting around talking, "Man, it's gotta be like it would really be in the hood like with us. Ya, with how people would really react and stuff, and think, ya know? Ya, and naked chicks. Ya, really fucking hot naked chicks. FUCK YA!"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:19 pm 

Kimfair wrote:
11. Frozen (2010) :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole:
The movie's a bit better when you can hear ALL the dialogue, but I understand people's frustration with the stupidity of the main characters, but to be fair, a solution that was offered by the crowd, tie the sleeves of their coats together, then to the lowest point of the ski lift. You'd lessen the level of the drop by almost half, and if you just tuck and roll when you hit the snow, you're far less likely to get your tibiae broken, and get eaten by wolves, had not occurred to me on my previous two viewings.

But then, you'd be walking how many miles through the snow and cold without a warm coat...you'd still end up dead. Pretty no matter what the characters did, they would have ended up dead.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:23 pm 
Pollution Baby

Monterey Jack wrote:
... no matter what the characters did, they would have ended up dead.
One could only hope.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:19 pm 
Pollution Baby

Monterey Jack wrote:
But then, you'd be walking how many miles through the snow and cold without a warm coat...you'd still end up dead. Pretty no matter what the characters did, they would have ended up dead.
Let's pretend Kimfair wasn't being sarcastic for a moment, because he was, but lets treat it seriously shall we. They would just be sliding down a ski run, and even if they were walking, it would only take about an hour or so, so they would be fine, once they got to the lodge, then they would break in and use the phone, and probably the taps in the bar. You can out ski a wolf, or anyone that is an intermediate level or above could easily on a down hill slope.

2. The idiot landed exactly how he should have to survive the landing. Feet first and fall to the side. You will note that he was alive while being devoured by wolves. Good on him.

3. Number 2 should further show you why the falling option was fucking stupid.

4. The tying of the coats is also fucking stupid, from that height. Each coat would give you a maximum of about 5 feet after trying off, so assuming the coats actually stay together and tied around the chair, you will get maybe 15 feet closer to the ground. Big fucking deal, you get to the ground slightly quicker and colder. They were higher than the trees, much higher, so lets give it about 60 feet. 45 feet will do just as much damage. Lets say they add in their ski pants, regular pants, skiis, snow boards, etc... That miracle rope you have now constructed has about as much chance of supporting your weight and staying together as blonde girl #1 has of picking up a check. That being 0.

5. Best bet for survival, cover up and stay put till Thursday. The morons on display were far to style conscious to properly use the cold weather gear their parents paid for, but most non-brain-dead people know a zipper goes up and hats can cover faces. Water from the condensation and icicles would be enough for 4 days, and they would not die of starvation in that time. Tie yourselves off to the back of the chair with the scarfs and or belts so you don't slip off while sleeping. Move around enough to keep circulation going, have the female straddle the males and ejaculate for her nourishment during the warmer hours, and sit tight till others show up.

6. Note to self: Send in survival porn treatment.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:02 pm 
Minor Depression

Here are my tweets from fest night in order:
#Fest 1: Veerana, crazy #Bollywood demon but no vampire chiller with lots of zooms. Weird strange tuneful.

Last of Sheila intrigue of a slightly warped kind among cheesy 70s stars, all on board yacht, with puppets.

Captain Falcon was either an ironic meditation on blind patriotism or just a strange Portuguese film. #Fest

'Roar' has no trace of plot except to get away from big cats. Lots and lots of big cats. Lots. #Fest

The less said about 'Bad Biology' the better. May the most twisted if the night. Of course 'Dude Bro Massacre' is next...

Self-conscious horror parody '#DudeBroPartyMassacrr3' tasteless and gory, a perfect #Fest film!

Nazi necromancer and zombie horses. What's not to like about 'Blood Creek?' #MichaelFassbender makes a great evil Nazi dead guy.

'I, Madman.' Aye corumba! Woman finds herself stalked by killer from 30-year-old book. Clever plot, decent ending, bit slow at times. #Fest

Fantastic Planet. Little people, big people, guy with squid hat. Great classic French animation.

Sexy Killer nice morph from sereal killer to zombies. Like a female #Deadpool. #Fest

Unlikeable youths get stranded on ski lift. Frostbite and wolves ensue. #Fest

'Frozen' was the last movie, not to be confused with.... Last movie coming up.

'Wolfcop' ends #Fest 2016 with a hairy handed gent who ran em up in Saskatchewan. Good closing film, but no liquor donuts!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:45 pm 
Canyon

My long overdue Fest assessment (it's been a busy week). I'll echo caryc's sentiment in that this was easily the best lineup we've had since I started attending Fest. I remained engaged with nearly every movie we watched this year -- at least during the ones I was able to stay awake for. And again I commend tigerpal and Kimfair for their impeccable curation:

Veerana: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half: An amazing film to kick off with. The fuckery kicked-in immediately and we were treated to one of the funniest Fest audience skewerings of all time right off the bat. This is the quintessential Fest film. I showed a bit of it to my wife the next day and she looked at me like I had just farted in her face or something. Which is exactly the reaction I was expecting. "Hail, Mahaka!"

The Last of Sheila: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: A great little forgotten whodunnit that's elevated to classic status by that bugfuck sock-puppet strangulation scene. And James Mason gives it just the right touch of hoitey-toitey fuck you. Glad I got to see this.

Capitao Falcao: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole: I loved the premise but it started to wear thin by the mid-point. I was also already fading in and out by this one so a second viewing might be in order.

Roar: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: Far and away the breakout hit of Fest 24. I had seen quite a bit about it over the years but I was not fully prepared for just how high the sustained anxiety level was going to be for this one. My viewing also benefited from sitting next to caryc who was having just as much fun as I was watching it. At one point, we looked at each other and mused "I can't fucking believe this movie exists." I can't wait to see it again.

Bad Biology: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: Another movie that benefited from who I was sitting next to. I thought poor Monty was going to start chewing his way through the floorboards at one point he seemed so uncomfortable. I personally loved it. And I couldn't keep King Missile's Detachable Penis from gleefully playing over and over in my head during the last part of the movie.

Dude Bro Party Massacre III: The sleepiness that I had successfully kept at bay thanks to the one-two punch of Roar and Bad Biology finally clobbered me during this one. I'll definitely need to watch it again so no rating.

Blood Creek: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole: Inconsistent writing aside, I actually really enjoyed this one. I appreciated the tone and brooding aesthetic. And another movie that proves Fassbender can just do whatever the hell he wants to and make it look easy.

I, Madman: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: A great little horror-tinged neo-noir that successfully plays with audience expectations. I, too was convinced that the protagonist was also the killer thanks to Jenny Wright's damaged and slightly unhinged performance (damn, I miss her). I'll probably be adding this one to my collection along with Roar.

Fantastic Planet: :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole: :nohole: I loved, loved, loved the animation style of this but was put off by the detached matter-of-fact style in which the story was delivered. I was also fading again during this one so another viewing might be required.

Sexykiller: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half: Ah, the movie where I finally fell completely in love with Macarena Gomez (despite her being a remorseless psychopath). Sexy, funny and terrifying prove to be a potent mix. I'm also starting to really appreciate the rapid-fire quality of Spanish film-making. Another I will probably add to my collection. Loved the nod to Re-Animator, too. This was my 3rd favorite behind Roar and Veerana.

Frozen: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole: The most divisive Fest movie since Twixt. Quite a bit of negative discussion both during and after the movie may have soured this one for a lot of people (and I admit to being fully complicit in this). But I think I may actually watch it again at one point by myself just to form a more undiluted, concrete opinion. These types of movie don't exist unfortunately without some of measure of stupidity at their core. At least it was short.

Wolfcop: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: Another great Fest closer. Tigerpal and Kimfair have gotten really good at giving us Fest cappers that really sum up the whole experience. Wolfcop is no different. It just gives in to the whole absurd premise and is all the better for it. I loved it.

And the real Fest closer for those who stayed for pizza...

Memories of Fest: We started playing it just to have something rolling while eating and it ended up generating just as much discussion as any of the other movies shown this year. Still a bunch of movies on there that I need to see. We should watch this every year during pizza.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:27 pm 

Fifty-one weeks to go? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:14 am 

Last night, we did a short Fest double-feature. Henenlotter's Brain Damage and Carpenter's In The Mouth of Madness. Not sure if the last one ever played Fest but it feels like a Fest film on some levels. Both were well received. The wife wants to see Bad Biology so we'll probably check that out soon but the daughter has to be out of the house. Even the audio on that one is more than I want her hearing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:24 am 

caryc wrote:
Last night, we did a short Fest double-feature. Henenlotter's Brain Damage and Carpenter's In The Mouth of Madness. Not sure if the last one ever played Fest but it feels like a Fest film on some levels. Both were well received. The wife wants to see Bad Biology so we'll probably check that out soon but the daughter has to be out of the house. Even the audio on that one is more than I want her hearing.

We've never shown In The Mouth Of Madness, and yes, your daughter needs to be very far away before you put Bad Biology on!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:46 am 

So the wife is watching The Good Wife on demand this morning, and starts laughing. I ask her what's funny, and she rewinds to the beginning of the episode where two characters are in bed watching a movie, and discussing it. The movie they were watching?

Roar!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:10 pm 

What were they saying about it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next