It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:15 pm 

My brother and I played the electronic Blip game constantly. I had a similarly-designed car racing game as well (with a steering wheel). Amazingly primitive technology, but just as addictive as a video game. I had this thing as well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merlin_%28game%29

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:27 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Eric wrote:
I don't remember the Atari logo on it, and I sort of feel like I would have, especially since we had both at the same time. I remember hooking the Pong box up and playing it for old time's sake, when I was like 10 or something. But a lot of those gadgets, they'd re-brand them and sell the same thing under multiple names. I'm wondering if we had one of those. But it was definitely something like that.

Pong did not begin with Atari, IIRC. Atari made a system of it later. Basically, it was a game that other companies built systems for rather than the reverse that came to be.

I remember Pong vividly, but it was the 2600 version. I didn't know it was its own thing until adulthood.

Pong is Atari's trademarked name.

Tennis for Two was the original pong-like game.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:32 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
My brother and I played the electronic Blip game constantly. I had a similarly-designed car racing game as well (with a steering wheel). Amazingly primitive technology, but just as addictive as a video game.

This thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aCeg-EbOAI

It's pretty similar tech to arcade games pre-videogames. I loved that as a young one.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:37 pm 

Yeah, that looks awfully familiar...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:57 pm 
Singularity ∞

TIL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:30 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
Yeah, that looks awfully familiar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnEZc82bUK8

This was the one I had as a kid. The other one was slightly fancier.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:49 pm 
Pollution Baby

brian wrote:
Ericubus wrote:
Chris Knight wrote:
Shoe wrote:
Not the Neo Geo, the other one. That.

TurboGraphx 16? That had Bonk, and a few decent arcade ports.

A friend of mine had that, we would play Doom for hours on end.

Doom was on Jaguar, SNES, and the Sega 32x, didn't make it to the Turbographx.

I had a pretty insane console collection, but downsized when I moved. Stuff just didn't bring me happiness.

Ericubus wrote:
Eric wrote:
We had a Pong game pre-2600. Played Pong. Just Pong...
Was it the mechanical one, with the green light on cross beams under a glass 'screen'? We had that one. My uncle bought it for my brother and I. I wish I still had it.

Blip? I had one similar, but it had a red LED.

Other Erics - There were a lot of Pong clone systems out there. Like, if you made electronics, you had a "Table Tennis" console or a "Air hockey console"

It was the Jaguar, for some reason my memory of it had the Turbografx name attached, but looking up the images of the systems, it definitely was the Jaguar.

The pong game was not Blip, but I can not find an exact image of it. This is the closest...
Spoiler: show

It had that same coloring and look, but it was bigger and on the ground. About 1' by 2', and it did have 2 cross beams that would move with a light on the end of it that pressed up against the back of the screen.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:49 am 
Singularity ∞

And the greatest board game of all time is (or at least, my FAVORITE is) ...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:21 am 
Pollution Baby

Next time I visit, you'll have to teach me how to play.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten. - George Lucas 1988

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:06 pm 
Singularity ∞

Would love to.

Hell, would just plain love a visit. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:14 pm 
Pollution Baby

Isn't it ironic...

We need a vacation so bad it's a danger to our health, unfortunately we are getting hit with many medical expenses so it's not in cards at the moment.

...don't ya think?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:36 pm 
Singularity ∞

TRANSFORMERS MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:25 am 

I was too old for Transformers. Thus, I've never seen a complete cartoon episode, nor any of the movies. My younger brother may have had a couple but he was more into Star Wars toys and G.I. Joe (the small figures, not the big ones like I had as a kid).

I think the closest thing to a Transformer when I was the right age was something called Micronauts and we loved the hell out of those.

They didn't turn into vehicles or anything, but they were the first action figures I remember where parts would pop out of a figure. Like the wings would fold down, etc. At least that's how I remember them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:34 am 

Holy shit, Micronauts. I was probably a bit too young for them, but my brother had so many of them, including this massive train track set. Definitely the coolest action figures before Star Wars showed up.

I think I owned 2 or 3 Transformers (the green and purple ones that combined to make a really big one comes to mind), but I never got into the show until the Rodimus Prime storyline, and by then I was "too old" for toys.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:05 pm 
HMFIC

I cried in the theater when Prime died.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:33 pm 

The Transformers was huge to me as a kid...I was just the right age when the cartoon and toy lines debuted (10), and I distinctly remember having to stay after school during one of the five(?)-part pilot episode airings and being absolutely GUTTED that I was going to miss it (kids in the DVR/streaming/YouTube era will never know the pain of missing something on TV, and having no ability to get a second chance). I also remember those things you had to hold the red plastic sheet over in order to read the various "stats" of the characters, and had at least one of those storybooks, which may or may not have been of the Choose Your Own Adventure persuasion (I think it was, because I remember one of the "bad" endings where the Autobots are defeated, and Megatron chides them for looking so "fuel-ish!"). And I remember the swell of incredulous laughter from the audience when seeing Transformers: The Movie and hearing a character bellowing, "OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTT....!!!!!" After the movie, I remember watching for a while after that, but not much longer, and I don't remember playing with the toys after '85 or so (even though -- and it embarasses me to admit -- I continued to receive actual toys for birthdays and christmases until '88, the year I turned 14). By '87 or so, I was more into Real Ghostbusters and the original TMNT series (never had a toy from that, though). 1988 was really the last year I watched those half-hour toy commercial action shows like M.A.S.K. and COPS (fighting crime...in a future time!) and the like. By '90 I had switched over more into those Spielberg Tiny Toons comedy shows and, of course, The Simpsons.

I have a vivid memory of actually being so mad at something one day that I tore up a lot of those Transformers bio card things and some other various toy things ("A special tear for you, Mr. Transformer...!"), which kills me, now that I could have made a mint selling them on eBay decades later.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:24 am 

Did you not have a VCR in the 80s? Where I grew up, swapping tapes was a huge thing. Missed an episode of Knight Rider? No biggie, someone I know taped it.

I would try to tape everything, even if I was home and watching it. I would re-use a tape until the image was pretty awful, and then I'd beg my mom to go buy another blank tape (which wasn't cheap).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:12 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
Did you not have a VCR in the 80s? Where I grew up, swapping tapes was a huge thing. Missed an episode of Knight Rider? No biggie, someone I know taped it.

Our family didn't get one until Christmas of '89. Our first tape under the tree? Tim Burton's Batman. First movie rented? Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:22 pm 

Transformers - I know I watched the cartoon, but barely have any memories of it.

The toys were cool though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:54 am 
Singularity ∞

I don't remember when we got one, but I do remember we never used it for just recording everyday shit.

Well, my old man did -- every episode of every Trek series, that sort of thing -- but the kids didn't.

It wasn't until tapes got cheaper that we started taping a lot of stuff. I'd tape videos from MTV like crazy, for instance. Still have a bunch of them, too. And we'd record lots of movies.

But never cartoons.

I watched Transformers, but it wasn't essential viewing for me (though I did love the movie). My cartoon jam, the have-to-get-home-on-time watch, was GI Joe, specifically those first couple of five-part miniseries. I had never seen TV do that before. It blew my mind!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:01 pm 

Shoe, are the Harry Potter books objectively good? Or it will be like reading The Hunger Games, where you're like "all the hype for this?"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:20 pm 

The Potter books are VERY well-written, although the later ones suffer from King-Sized Bloat, when a successful author finds they can write anything and the editors are afraid to ask for any cuts (named after Stephen King, of course). They'll continue to find new audiences long after shit like Hunger Games, Twilight and the like have been forgotten.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:39 am 
Singularity ∞

brian wrote:
Shoe, are the Harry Potter books objectively good? Or it will be like reading The Hunger Games, where you're like "all the hype for this?"

They're not well-written insomuch as the prose is pretty pedestrian and the first few books are fairly standard, adverb-heavy "read this aloud to your kids" kind of stuff.

HOWEVER, they are quite enjoyable even as an adult, provided you can push through the first two (which are the most for-kids of all of them). Rowling created a fairly complex world that has a lot going on that never made it to screen, and by book 4 the whole "stay up all night reading because I have to finish" problem is real.

I'd say they are charming, and are not an example of hype or trends inflating their status. They'll stand the test of time in the way, say, Narnia has. They're not Essential Reading, I never push them onto people, but I wouldn't turn people away from them, either. If you enjoy YA fantasy and magic and all that, they're very enjoyable. If that's not your thing, they're not going to change your mind.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:10 pm 

Shoe wrote:
I'd say they are charming, and are not an example of hype or trends inflating their status. They'll stand the test of time in the way, say, Narnia has. They're not Essential Reading, I never push them onto people, but I wouldn't turn people away from them, either. If you enjoy YA fantasy and magic and all that, they're very enjoyable. If that's not your thing, they're not going to change your mind.

I know you didn't ask me Brian, but I echo Shoe here and I'm not someone who reads YA and don't really enjoy fantasy books in either YA or adult genres. I really enjoyed the Potter books though. It's like Shoe said, the world she builds is so impressive and you really get a lot out of them that the movies can't give you.

What Monty said is also true though when it comes to the last couple of books. Still very good but longer than they needed to be.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:58 pm 
HMFIC

They're not well-written. Any description is utilitarian and the characters are often one-dimensional. They're plot-heavy books. They keep the plot moving forward, and it's nearly always fun. They do tend to be page-turners. The world-building is more consistent the further in you go; you definitely get the sense, if you're paying close attention, that Rowling didn't feel the need to be consistent early on, and only later realized people were going to be scrutinizing the shit she wrote. And while the later books certain bloated up quite a bit, they were always page-turners. I've read them all through at least twice, and I don't remember ever being bored.

I imagine that anybody who'd read a lot of shit and was already an adult would see the seams in her world, but I can't imagine too many people would find it impossible to enjoy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:05 am 
Singularity ∞

Movie poster collection!

That's actually part 2. Part 1 has other types of swag:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:30 pm 

1. Cool
2. But seeing all that stuff gives me anxiety! Also not a fan some SAM LOVES FRODO poster.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:49 pm 
Singularity ∞

Had a fun and productive night last night. One of the guys from a really big Youtube channel came over last night (not sure if I can announce it yet), we drank beers and just hung out, getting six episodes of material recorded in the process. Good times.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:31 pm 

JimBim121?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:58 pm 
Singularity ∞

I'll give you one hint: it rhymes with Turok the Lama

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:34 pm 

I can't keep up with you kids and your you tube's celebrities.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:28 am 
Pollution Baby

Shoe wrote:
I'll give you one hint: it rhymes with Turok the Lama

President Obama?!? Wow! That is impressive, nice get, Dude! Did you ask him how many kids killed in drone strikes is acceptable?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:03 am 
Singularity ∞

Here's a weird one: a ventriloquist dummy collection. It's such a weird hobby, I can't believe it still exists in 2016, and yet here it is ...

Ventriloquist dummies.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:13 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Here's a weird one: a ventriloquist dummy collection. It's such a weird hobby, I can't believe it still exists in 2016, and yet here it is ...

Ventriloquist dummies.

I like the production values and the unique topic but holy shit, how can anyone live with these things?!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:20 pm 
Singularity ∞

He used to have them lined up on a shelf, too!

It's kind of quirky and weird, so it's sort of cool in an odd way, because who the hell collects ventr dummies?

And all credit to him, he owns it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next