It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:13 am 
Sinkhole

It's movie announcement day!

Our ninth film premiered in the Midnight Screenings section of the 2016 Cannes Film Festival.

The zombies in this movie can't find you in the dark.

A young father is taking his daughter to see her mom on the most harrowing ride of the year. Our ninth film is Train to Busan:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:31 am 

Artwork will be posted after I get home from work.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:42 am 

I've heard a lot about this one. It was recommended to me by a few people at work even.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:24 am 

Final Movie: Now the astute among you might have noticed that we don't have 4 days between this announcement, and Fest. You may think that's an error on our part, but in fact it was intentional. My last film, and the only unannounced film for Fest #25, is a film that I adore. This hasn't always worked out well for me (see: Knightriders Fest #1), and this might film may prove to be something like that as well. It's bound to leave some viewers cold, and that's the risk I take, but Fest has always been about showing the audience films that tigerpal and I want you to see that you might not see otherwise. I will say that it is one of the least seen films from a famous director, but I will not answer questions, nor confirm or deny any guesses. You'll ultimately know what film we're showing when you see it at Fest.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:45 pm 

I bet Shoe is hoping that famous director is Peter Yates!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:34 pm 
Singularity ∞

Yates was AMAZING up until '81, '82 or so, but it was all downhill from there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:41 pm 

Realized I neglected to put up the art work for Train To Busan. The hair is wrong, but hey, artistic license and all.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:44 pm 

Seriously looking forward to Train to Busan. I was listening to the Monster Party podcast on the day you revealed this film. They mentioned the film too which kind of freaked me out. I've got two people at work telling me about it a month before and then I'm hearing about it the day it's announced.

Monster Party didn't spoil it but they did say there were a few "fresh" twists on the zombie theme which I'm always open to. I'm pretty sick of zombies which is why I didn't jump on it the minute it was recommended to me originally.

Also, for the record I am really excited about Wolves. It's no secret around here that I feel there aren't enough werewolf movies, especially considering the glut of vampire and zombie flicks out there. I'm really hoping that one lives up to my expectation.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:50 am 
Sinkhole

caryc wrote:

Monster Party didn't spoil it but they did say there were a few "fresh" twists on the zombie theme which I'm always open to. I'm pretty sick of zombies which is why I didn't jump on it the minute it was recommended to me originally.

THIS. I never wanted to see another zombie movie again. I had to be persuaded to check it out, and I'm glad I did!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:31 pm 

I have a mess of Pennsylvania snacks to share with you New England folks this weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:08 pm 

Shoe will have consumed those goodies by the time we get there...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:22 am 
HMFIC

Mike n Ikes are regional?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:14 am 

I don't think they are, but they're made in Bethlehem, my old town, and they're great movie snacks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:01 am 
Black Hole

If you guys can do like a 30 minute Twitch or YouTube live broadcast, that would be cool. I would watch.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:03 am 

Setting off in about an hour, will arrive at Kimfair's place between 4:00 and 5:00 PM. See you all there...! :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:04 am 

I'm back, tired, laden with Fest swag, and thrilled to gave made through another night's worth of craziness with my sanity mostly intact. ;) Here are my brief thoughts on this year's lineup:

1. The Monster Of Piedras Blancas: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole: :nohole:

Tedious and stilted, in the "grand" tradition of cheapie 50's drive-in fare, but it was the perfect kick-off movie, with ample stretches of not-much-happening that are great opportunities to fill with Fest commentary.

2. Train To Busan: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole:

Nothing really "new" here in the "zombie apocalypse" genre, but incredibly well-made, exciting and filled with characters both sympathetic and hateful (although I wish Business Guy had received a more satisfying send-off). My favorite of Fest.

3. Passing Strange: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole:

Here's a movie with virtually NO empty space to fill w/Fest commentary, but I didn't mind...this was a refreshing change of pace, and placed just right, so that we weren't too tired yet to appreciate it.

4. Poultrygeist: Night Of The Chicken Dead: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole:

Second time through, and while there are plenty of laughs to be had, and some fun songs, it's just too damn disgusting in the long run. I went through at least FIVE antacids during this movie alone. At least it wasn't scheduled right before breakfast...

5. Wolves: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole: :nohole:

Nice werewolf makeup, and well-acted (nice to see the "Pete's piece!" guy from The Adventures Of Brisco County, Jr. again), but kind of played like a double-length TV pilot more than anything else...enjoyable, but no Wolfcop.

6. Bunny The Killer Thing: :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole: :nohole:

A one-joke experience that was amusing for a while, but petered out (pun intended) by the end. Loved all of the [suspension music], though.

7. Netherbeast Incorporated: :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole: :nohole:

Strong first half, but I was starting to drift out at that point, and it lost me along the way. Not bad.

8. The Wizard Of Speed And Time: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole:

I have a nostalgic affinity for this era of visual effects, so this was like Pee-Wee's Big Adventure to me...just a blast of silly, visually-inventive fun.

9. Delhi Belly: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole:

Typical Bollywood production, with some lovely ladies, fun music, and light gross-out humor. Always good Fest material.

10. The Reincarnation Of Peter Proud: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole:

Thankfully looking better than the YouTube version I watched last year (although still so dark it's hard to make out what's going on in a lot of the nighttime scenes), this is an effectively squicky moral thriller with a GREAT, bizarre Jerry Goldsmith score and a sexy young Margot Kidder who made for one hot "old" lady.

11. Accion Mutante: :hole1: :hole1: :half: :nohole: :nohole:

Netherbeast in reverse, I was drifting in and out of the first half, but once it went Full Star Wars in the second half, I found it kind of fun in that 80's kind of way.

12. Deathgasm: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :hole1: :nohole:

Another great choice to end Fest on...great music, gore and characters, with plenty of humor and just long enough. Watching most of it through a Tony Scott sunbeam only enhanced the experience. :)

Anyways, thanks to Kimfair and tigerpal for hosting, and to everyone involved for making my little hobby/obsession a little less lonely once a year. :wink: See you all again in 363...!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:09 pm 

Thanks to everyone who came and made this event what it is. Here is the final artwork for Passing Strange, and the whole cover.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:59 pm 
Singularity ∞

In my second Fest a few more faces became familiar faces, a few more became "I liked talking to them, I'd hang out with them again," a few movies got added to my So Glad I Was Introduced To This List, and most of all, this totally kooky 15-year online acquaintances-turned-friendships we've all had has been further solidified into something truly awesome that is sure to last whether or not we've got a damn site to congregate on. And that's amazing.

'Twas good. Look forward to seeing everyone again. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:55 am 

Since we didn't announce the final film until Fest, I didn't post the trailer for it. For those who couldn't come, here's the trailer for Passing Strange, directed by Spike Lee.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:01 am 

Proudly wearing the Fest shirt today and wishing it was last Friday all over again.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:24 am 

caryc wrote:
Proudly wearing the Fest shirt today and wishing it was last Friday all over again.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:43 am 
Singularity ∞

I've already got mileage on mine. Wore it two days. I was pretty impressed, it's a high quality shirt! Don't know who you're using, but I'd be inclined to use them as well for custom shirts.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:21 am 

I'm definitely bringing the Fest shirt with me to Canada this summer...ought to inspire some interesting conversations on the beach. :-)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:20 pm 

Shoe wrote:
I've already got mileage on mine. Wore it two days. I was pretty impressed, it's a high quality shirt! Don't know who you're using, but I'd be inclined to use them as well for custom shirts.

Glad to know! I used these guys http://www.uberprints.com/products as I found they had competitive prices, the easiest custom interface, and a ton of choices. I got 30 shirts, and paid $8.35 or so per shirt delivered. The extra $ from the $10 I charged for shirts went to partially fund the bags that my wife had made. Those were about $3 per bag. She had those made at https://www.totallypromotional.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:30 pm 
Singularity ∞

Awesome, thanks! I'll probably be using them for the Youtube show and such. Those are good prices, too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:07 am 
Singularity ∞

Train to Busan just hit Netflix. Anyone who didn't make Fest and who hasn't seen it, should.

Also, just noticed Deathgasm is on there. We had left Fest by then, so I'll probably check it out solo some time soon. Cary gives it a big thumbs up!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:43 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Also, just noticed Deathgasm is on there. We had left Fest by then, so I'll probably check it out solo some time soon. Cary gives it a big thumbs up!

Be careful, I really like that movie. You've been warned.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:23 pm 

Chris Knight wrote:
Shoe wrote:

Be careful, I really like that movie. You've been warned.

Well you can't be wrong all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:31 pm 

Shoe wrote:
Train to Busan just hit Netflix. Anyone who didn't make Fest and who hasn't seen it, should.

Downhuman liked it also. The complaint we had in common was that it would have been nice if they could have licensed a few songs from bigger metal bands. It was still a very fun film though.

An even better film (IMO) that also touches on the heavy metal scene is Detroit Metal City. It's a Japanese film and you're going to have to work to find it because Netflix doesn't have it. It's about the singer in Japan's biggest metal band who secretly just wants to sing happy pop songs. It's a really funny film and still probably my favorite Fest closer.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:24 pm 
Singularity ∞

Because Kimfair noticed on Facebook, I felt like I should say:

I've been wearing my Fest #25 a LOT. Wore all day today, during a grueling 3-race sail marathon, then drinking, then other, and a whole good summer day.

Which has been routine. Fest Shirt brings me good days.

:thumbs:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:31 pm 

Glad to hear you've been rocking the Fest #25 shirt a lot, Shoe! I'm happy that it seems to bring you good days!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:31 pm 

Brought my Fest shirt with me on vacation, so I'll probably break it out on the beach tomorrow. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6