It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The music of 2037
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:27 am 
Black Hole

I was invited to take part in a really cool art project / presentation currently showing in Columbus, OH. The basic concept was imagining the music landscape of 2037 through imagined cover art, liner notes, record, reviews, etc., all for music that doesn't actually exist (but by actual musicians).

I contributed some lyrics, three reviews, and a "news story" for the project, specifically for Radiohead, Guided By Voices, Kendrick Lamar, and Public Enemy. You can see all the work here:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Streetlight ... 7632568333

My stuff in particular (though I don't know how readable it is in the photos) is here:

https://www.facebook.com/StreetlightGui ... 96/?type=3

https://www.facebook.com/StreetlightGui ... 06/?type=3

https://www.facebook.com/StreetlightGui ... 48/?type=3

Might be in a few other places, but those are the ones I can spot.

Really cool project, a lot of fun to do. Almost made the drive out to Columbus to see it!

Post subject: Re: The music of 2037
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:00 pm 

Very cool! I missed this earlier. I looked through all the pictures but couldn't find the Guided By Voices one. Loved your Public Enemy and Radiohead stuff though (what I could read of it).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:57 am 
Black Hole

Thanks! Yeah, the photos are a little hard to read, but you get the gist of what the show was all about.

Happy to post any of them here for anyone interested.

I did a Kendrick Lamar piece too that I did not see in any of the photos. I wonder if it was deemed a little too "Nah, you're not going there" and left out, but I haven't asked. The album cover and song titles made me think of a future Lamar concept album where he urges people to turn their back on the church, with Lamar rapping about black churches being puppets for white institutions trying to control black communities.

Maybe not a topic for frumpy middle aged white guy to tackle! :lol:

(I think it was a good piece, though.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:08 am 

Would you post the GBV one please?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:25 am 
Black Hole

Here you go:

Attachment:
GBV-art.jpg
GBV-art.jpg [ 65.08 KiB | Viewed 107 times ]

Guided By Voices
Leaving The Flatlands To The Amateurs
6.5 / 10

Keeping up with Robert Pollard’s prodigious productivity while he was still alive was a task only the most die-hard fans or chronically unemployed were able to do. He was so prolific and his output so ceaseless, the idea that there could possibly be anything left in the vaults after his death seemed preposterous.

And yet here we are, seven years after his passing and on our fifth posthumous Guided By Voices release. Perhaps even more remarkable is that there is still gas left in this presumably almost empty tank.

Guided By Voice was, of course, the Pollard’s primary project. Though he churned out solo records and albums under a slew of other band names – Boston Spaceships, Circus Devils, Midwest Foghorns, and a dozen others – the rotating cast of supporting players that made up Guided By Voices was always gig #1. No surprise, then, that the trust devoted to maintaining his music legacy has chosen the GBV moniker under which to release most (but not all) of his posthumous records.

Leaving The Flatlands To The Amateurs is perhaps the most focused and coherent of those records thus far. Culled from the same sessions that brought us Nursing Home Volunteers & Foot Soldiers, along with three tracks from his unlikely collaboration with Ryan Cassata, Leaving the Flatlands abandons the folksy, Midwest vibe Pollard dabbled with in his final years and returns to the Who-inspired, class rock-strutting of 2000s era GBV. The cuts are perhaps slower and his voice was no longer a match for the faux stadium antics of his early days, but that’s no crime for a man who was 71 when he recorded this.

Opener “Sky Hung” is the kind of half-formed idea you expect from GBV, a circular melody built around a few angular chords that stutters to a stop before 90 seconds have passed. “And you are calling back too soon” indeed. “Queen Anne’s Lace” is another barely-there idea, all soft guitar and lonely crooning about something Pollard “never understood.” And then “Death Is Set to Vibrate” hits and you remember the power his songwriting had at its best. It helps having a backing band half your age, of course, but this rambunctious rocker wouldn’t have sounded out of place on underrated classics like Isolation Drills. When he wails out “sidewalk never slows,” you want to pound a cheap beer and raise your fist in triumph. Cassata joins Pollard for the snarling old man punk of “Ocean is a Megaphone” (along with the more somber “Things Sometimes,” which offers some of the most naked lyrics of Pollard’s career).

There is little need to say there are some duds. This being a Guided By Voices record, it’s assumed it will be a mixed bag. And they are. “Word Stone” is 30 seconds of mumbled nonsense; “Pass The Lumber” has Pollard trying and failing to capture the same senior citizen magic Johnny Cash did three decades prior; “Autopilot” sounds like its title despite some of his best turns of phrase (“she sounds like my emptiest promise”); and so on.

Yet the fact that there are seven or eight genuinely excellent tunes here is nothing short of astonishing. Seven years after his death at the surprisingly ripe age of 73 – Pollard was heavy drinker his whole life, making it into his 70s thanks in no small part to the liver transplant he received in 2019 – we are still getting “new” music from him at a pace that shames other artists.

How much more gas is left in this tank is unknown, but as long as there are songs this good in the archives, we’ll gladly take them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:53 pm 

Nicely done!

August By Cake was one of my favorite albums of this year.